News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need Help w/ SMB Title Screen  (Read 3800 times)

P0LLUTION

• View Profile
Need Help w/ SMB Title Screen
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:59:04 am »
Hello all, I"m new to ROM hacking. I've been spending all of my free time in the last couple weeks working on a smb ROM hack w/ some friends of mine, and the one major problem we have is that we can't seem to change the title screen for the original Super Mario Brothers. I've seen a lot of SMB games w/ custom title screens, so  I know it can be done. I've spent hours trying to figure out BetaWorlds SMBTE, but that's in Japanese. I would prefer a program to edit it, but will hex edit if I have to, I just wish there was more information/tools to help me. I have downloaded some dissasembely doc's and read them, helpful but not enough for beginners like us. I have also searched, and searched and searched. Some people say they have used Mana's Title editor, and i can not seem to find that. Thank you for your help!!!!!  :crazy:

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Need Help w/ SMB Title Screen
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:36:22 am »
See if you can find the title screen data in a hex editor that'll be a good place to start because most likely it's rle encoded.
Have you read inverse's doc on title screen hacking?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:32:54 am by Pikachumanson »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:50 am »
This is a english readme created by AP. The link is here: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/ste - e.txt

You probably have to have the right japanese font installed otherwise the japanese will appear as jibberish. I submitted a zip including this translation to RHDN so hopefully they will accept it.

Edit: I couldn't get the japanese text to show correctly either. It's just jibberish. Anyone know how to fix this? I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything that works for readmes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:16:44 am by MathUser2929 »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 09:35:15 am »
I'm pretty sure the text in that readme was transcribed as gibberish and that there is no way to ever change it to Japanese.  (Whoever wrote it used the pipe character, | , in place of the generic black rectangle normally used for non-displayable characters.)

Also, better link.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:00:24 pm »
Well, if someone could fix up the japanese on the readme we could submit it to RHDN. I'm sure it'd be valuable to SMB hackers.

P0LLUTION

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:01:22 pm »
"Have you read inverse's doc on title screen hacking?" - No, I would love too.

Also, I read that doc on http://www.bwass.org/bucket/ste%20-%20e.txt and it was somewhat helpful but I still can't seem to get the job done. When it saves the 'progress' or whatever it saves it's in some crazy file format that does me no good. Is there a way to get the hex code for the title screen I created in this program? If so what is the line of hex that i need to replace it with. Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 12:19:30 am »
Inverse's doc is here on document section or google it. As for finding the title screen use the trace logger in conjuction with the hex editor in fceuxd. You will see hexes in blue that is being utilised. Check on those and one of those should be what you need. Realy the trace logger will take you right to it if you pause the emulator in time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:17:51 am by Pikachumanson »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:10:15 am »
Well, if someone could fix up the japanese on the readme we could submit it to RHDN. I'm sure it'd be valuable to SMB hackers.
Wouldn't it be easier for the end user if there was a patch to remove the Japanese from the program itself?

When it saves the 'progress' or whatever it saves it's in some crazy file format that does me no good.

The readme also says:
Click on this to save the changes to the ROM after applying results for the saving process (see the second point to know how to apply the results for the process).

As difficult as it is to get this working, I'm sure it must be easier than the alternatives.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

P0LLUTION

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 02:50:41 pm »
Only one button saves anything. It's the second button down, there is a pop up then you click on the second button down. then it saves a file in a weird format: http://i50.tinypic.com/33tnxfl.jpg I can't do anything with that file except load it in the STE program. If i open the save file in an emulator it is corrupt. Same thing happens if i overwrite the NES file. How can I save the process and save the changes to the ROM if there is only one save button? all the other buttons only "open" files not "save as.."

Update:

Okay, I some how did it. Trial and Error and of course help from you guys, so thank you. I'm not 100% sure how i did it, but i have a good guess. Sadly, I must go to work but I plan on figuring it out and replying here in case anyone else runs into this problem. Thanks for your help guys!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:54:53 pm by P0LLUTION »

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 03:38:10 am »
Every time when I try to use this title screen editor, it won't save... help???
Is the pool clean?