News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need help on Streets of Rage 2 Hack  (Read 3353 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Need help on Streets of Rage 2 Hack
« on: July 17, 2015, 04:15:54 am »
Hi,

I need help on my Streets of Rage 2 Restoration hack, I need help restoring Mr. X’s missing cigar from the Japanese rom to the American rom. I already restored Blaze’s original flying kick sprites from the Japanese version thanks to the Pancake 2 editor, you can check it out here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2089/

The problem is I have no idea how to restore Mr. X’s cigar. I put a ad in the Help Wanted Ads section back in February, but I never got a response yet. If anybody knows how to restore it on here, can you please help me?

tryphon

• View Profile
Re: Need help on Streets of Rage 2 Hack
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 04:30:03 am »
Could you be more precise about the problem ? Do you know where Mr. X sprite is ? Or is it compressed ?

How did you manage to edit Blaze sprite ?

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 05:21:14 am »
Could you be more precise about the problem ? Do you know where Mr. X sprite is ? Or is it compressed ?

How did you manage to edit Blaze sprite ?

Mr. X's sprites are compressed. I wonder if the cigar sprites are still in the American rom, but they disabled them to appear and I got to see if someone on here knows the hex address for them so I can enable them to appear once again.

I was able to edit Blaze's sprites with the Pancake 2 editor, it lets you edit the sprites of the game. That's how I was able to restore her Japanese sprites. The only thing you can't edit is sprites that are compressed. You can get the editor here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/970/

That's why I'm having a problem restoring his cigar, because this is a little out of my league and that's why I need help on this.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:19:31 am by SCD »

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 08:38:49 am »
Do anybody think I should transfer this topic over to the ROM Hacking Discussion section? Because I'm not having any luck of someone helping me on this problem in this section and maybe if I move it to the other section, I'll have better luck of someone helping me on this problem?

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:03:15 am »
Did you try looking for the sprites in the Japanese rom to see if they're also compressed in the same way there?

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:40:29 am »
Did you try looking for the sprites in the Japanese rom to see if they're also compressed in the same way there?

There compressed on there in the same way as well. Like I say, I'm not a expert on this type of rom hacking. That's why I'm asking for help on this problem so I can get this hack finished.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:45:57 am by SCD »

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:45:31 am »
Is there a set of hex values that I need to copy from the Japanese rom and paste them in the American rom to get the cigar to appear in that rom?

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 11:18:51 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:51:53 am by Chpexo »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 11:42:42 am »
If somebody knew the answer, he would have posted it. So it surely requires some work. I may be able to help but have currently not the time, sorry.

If the compression scheme is standard (Nemesis for example), I think there's an utility that can look into the ROM to check where potential nemesis-compressed graphics are.

The problem will be that your new gfx won't surely be the same size than the old, and if they are bigger, you'll have to move them at end of the ROM to prevent erasing data. It isn't easy stuff if you don't know asm.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 11:55:03 am »
Cripes, stop bumping this thread. Also if you want a thread moved use the report button and say you want the thread moved or you can PM a mod.

Also if the Japanese ROM and American ROM are very similar, it should be easy to find differences that you can copy over via a hexeditor.

Alright, I'm sorry I keep bumping this thread. I'm just having no luck on anybody helping me on this problem and it's frustrating me. I think putting this in the Newcomer's Board was a bad idea, I should have put this in the ROM Hacking Discussion section.

I might move this thread to that section. I'll probably have better luck on there, if not, I'll just give up on this hack and move on.

I tried finding the hex values using a hex editor a long time ago, but I had no luck finding them because I don't know which values to look for in the roms.

If somebody knew the answer, he would have posted it. So it surely requires some work. I may be able to help but have currently not the time, sorry.

If the compression scheme is standard (Nemesis for example), I think there's an utility that can look into the ROM to check where potential nemesis-compressed graphics are.

The problem will be that your new gfx won't surely be the same size than the old, and if they are bigger, you'll have to move them at end of the ROM to prevent erasing data. It isn't easy stuff if you don't know asm.

If you can help me, that would be great. But take your time, I'm not in a hurry.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:03:26 pm by SCD »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 12:04:36 pm »
I suppose you know this site : http://www.soronline.net/sor2_hacking.htm

There may be valuable info there.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:35:18 pm »
I suppose you know this site : http://www.soronline.net/sor2_hacking.htm

There may be valuable info there.

Yeah I know about that site, but the info on that page still didn't help me, but thank you for showing me that page. This is still out of my league, I'll just wait for you to help me on this.