News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 77696 times)

Imaynotbehere4long

• View Profile
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #440 on: August 16, 2017, 10:22:01 pm »
I have a suggestion: can you make it so that magic attacks are avoidable? The main thing I hate about the game is when a boss starts spamming magic attacks, which causes your full-HP characters to freeze in place and die (and that's on top of all the other things I hate about the game, like the lack of invincibility frames after you get hit, giving you no time to recover from enemy attacks, and the enemies that will repeatedly spawn more enemies at a seemingly infinite rate).

EDIT: Also, compatibility with the scroll hack would be nice.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:30:53 pm by Imaynotbehere4long »

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2017, 09:24:13 am »
Seems you guys are still going good on this. My only question is for the Dark lich fight. Could you possibly make his hands chase you faster and give the hands more range so you have a good chance at dying. This is the best fight in the game and we all know it. So I have to put this out there. Because me and my friends play this on 3 players and....it's just to easy of mechanics to avoid his attacks. I know I shouldn't throw requests on people so I'm sorry for my ignorance but this is more of an idea that I just have to put out there. ::)

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:04 am »
I have a suggestion: can you make it so that magic attacks are avoidable? The main thing I hate about the game is when a boss starts spamming magic attacks, which causes your full-HP characters to freeze in place and die (and that's on top of all the other things I hate about the game, like the lack of invincibility frames after you get hit, giving you no time to recover from enemy attacks, and the enemies that will repeatedly spawn more enemies at a seemingly infinite rate).

EDIT: Also, compatibility with the scroll hack would be nice.

- I dont really like how magic attacks freezes your character either, but I can't think of a good way to make them avoidable.. It would be too easy to just be able to block them like regular attacks because of how we can see in advance that an enemy is about to cast a spell and all. And also, a low level spell would be as difficult to block as a high level one.. and cpu-controlled characters wouldnt be capable of doing it.
Also, characters who are targeted by spells use their "weapon gfx space" and "weapon palette slot" for the spell animation so even if it would be possible to at least let them be able to move until the spell hit, they wouldnt be able to use their weapon.. I found out how to speed up spell effects tho, ill see how fast I can make them go so the freeze time is reduced.

- About the invincibility frames, I have an option for that in my current build, it basically makes it so unless you have control of your character, attacks cant hit you. Still needed to have it work properly with status effects.. Enemies still can hit you repeatedly right at the moment you take control and leave you unable to move if you are unlucky, but holding block while recovering will make you block at the very first frame that your invincibility ends.

- Enemies that spawn other enemies (or copies of themselves) basically roll a dice each AI cycle (I think slimes have something like a change out of 4 or 8) and spawn a creature if there are less than 3 monsters on screen.. I guess it would make sense to force it to at least wait some time between spawns instead of just having a low chance. Ill definately will go back into enemy AI someday, but probably not soon, still got lots of less engaging featurettes to add.

I registered just to comment how excited I am about this hack. Hope to see that video soon!

I have made progress with the spell selection outside of the menu thingy, but unfortunately, it really doesnt look good with some of the spell icons, Ill have to make some kind of background gfx to put under the icon.. It seems all spell icons work correctly with the proper palette and animation tho  :)
Ill post the video as soon as I have something satisfying :P

Seems you guys are still going good on this. My only question is for the Dark lich fight. Could you possibly make his hands chase you faster and give the hands more range so you have a good chance at dying. This is the best fight in the game and we all know it. So I have to put this out there. Because me and my friends play this on 3 players and....it's just to easy of mechanics to avoid his attacks. I know I shouldn't throw requests on people so I'm sorry for my ignorance but this is more of an idea that I just have to put out there. ::)
Im not really informed about boss AI, and to be honest, its been a while I fought this boss and cant even remember those hands lol. but still, ill try to keep that in mind. im always open to sugestions and with the way my patcher lets you selects which "feature" you want, even crazy-weird ideas that you doubt other people would want might be interesting enough for me to add them  :laugh:

koerli

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 22, 2017, 02:22:25 pm »
Hello zhade, i greatly appreciate your work you are doing here.
I wasn't able to test all your modifications but noticed at the very beginning that strong and weak attack dont differ from on another (crc D0176B24, SoM NewGameplayImprovement V0.07). They both do the same dmg.
Also, don't know if people already posted this but the blocking bug is still present (the screen goes black after a sucsessful block).

CVReynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 24, 2017, 09:44:39 am »
Hello. :3

I like to collect bug-fix patches for games. I downloaded this to obtain the fix for the bug involving Wall-spelling an ally to death. I then noticed that other changes are done to the game as well even if you uncheck all options in the custom patcher.

I'm far out of the loop on this project, I'm sorry to say. If you'd please, I'd like a list of all changes made to the game if you uncheck every option in the custom patcher. Are the other changes also bug-fixes? I'd enjoy that if so. :3
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:11:30 am by CVReynolds »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2017, 12:07:03 pm »
Also, don't know if people already posted this but the blocking bug is still present (the screen goes black after a successful block).
Did not encounter that problem myself. That CRC seems to be a valid one. Did you remember to remove the header before patching?

gamerdude535

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 27, 2017, 10:23:12 pm »
Nice ideas! Would the patch possibly work on top of Secret of Mana Enhanced? And would it be possible to make a modular patch where you could pick which parts you want to use and modify things about the features?? Much like some PC game mods.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:29:02 pm by gamerdude535 »

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 31, 2017, 09:06:14 am »
As long as this can be played on the homebrew I can't wait  :thumbsup: Can't wait to fight thanatos again with extra HP hope you fix the hands of his to kill you where you stand cuz like I said. He is very easy when you know the mechanics. Unless those hands can touch you...then not gunna be so easy. maybe give his spells a boost in damage to. This is just the best advise/IDEA I can give you from playing this game a lot. Again not a request. But you can youtube the battle and you can tell he was simplified =( the only boss you get pumped to fight...then we all know the last boss is way to easy also. but he isn't as cool as thanatos. The music alone speaks a thousand words. Also the spells change when you're lvl 100 and have a random chance when you're lvl 90 I hope there is a way you could test to see if this works for this hack. All and all great job you are making history with this hack  :beer: :thumbsup: :beer: THANK YOU

martinpulido

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 19, 2017, 12:43:14 am »
Zhade,

This is a most excellent look at Secret of Mana and how to improve the game. I have been very impressed with what I have seen so far. A couple other ideas:

(a) Weapons bindings or "quick shuffle" button. Similar to your spell bindings, I think it would be fun to be able to quickly switch between certain favorite weapons (or when a particular weapon is useful in a given scenario, whip is common) without accessing the ring menu. You might bind with L, instead of R, press one of the keys and then you are set to swap to that weapon. Recognize you use L already for the evade function, so that might pose a problem. Another option might be a "quick swap" of unassigned weapons, so you aren't stealing from another human player on the fly, but browsing through the other weapons.

(b) "Easy" pathing for younger human players. I've started introducing SoM to my young son who's just getting into video games (6 year old), and one common annoyance is the difficult pathing in the game for him, and how that often can be a hold up as we try to traverse across the screen. Could you create some button activated, or system activated setting from within a menu that makes the other human player (much like you've done with an AI controlled player) teleport straight over to the other human player (fine if default is to P1)? Just an idea. I know I need to be patient too!

Marty

2tack

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 20, 2017, 12:49:19 pm »
With the announcement of the PS4 remake, I hope it doesn't slow you down. It appears the remake is literally just a face lift. Nothing more, nothing less.

With that said, I wanted to throw an idea out there that I think could make the game a little more interesting, and bring even more uniqueness to this 3 party team.

Characters that can only use specific weapons. Hear me out. Each player being able to use each weapon is cool, but I think it could bring a certain degree of difficulty by locking them into certain characters. Also, change what stats are boosted for a weapon. Different weapons would increase one or more stats on top of it's attack rating; strength(S), agility (A), or intelligence (I). For examples:

Randi: Heavy/Mid/Close Range Melee weapons only. Sword gets a double boost, because our boy doesn't get magic, and it's the Mana Sword!
Sword (S+/A+) - Spear (S/A) - Axe (S+) - Fist (A+)

Purim/Primm : Close Range Melee/Ranged
Fist (A+) - Whip (S/I) - Bow (I) - Javelin (A/I)

Popoi: Why Axe? Well, Popoi is a dwarf.
Boomerang (A) - Axe (S+) - Javelin (A/I) - Spear (S/A)

If it were possible, changing the Boomerang (already loaded with ranged weapons) to more of a staff would be cool. Super low attack but huge boost to Intelligence. This would change bow to more of an agi boost given the circumstances. I'm sure some graphic replacements using images from SD3 would satisfy that. Then we'd have:

Randi:
Sword (S+/A+) - Axe (S+) - Fist (A+) - Spear (S/A)

Purim/Primm :
Fist (A+) - Whip (S/I) - Bow (A) - Staff (I+)

Popoi:
Staff (I+) - Axe(S+) - Javelin (A/I) - Bow (A)

Just make Popoi come with the staff, instead of the boomerang. That feels more canon, what with all the pictures of him holding a staff!
https://assets.vg247.com/current//2017/08/secret-of-mana-artwork-1.png
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:17:28 pm by 2tack »

JordanParks

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 30, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »
I'm very excited about this project and hope everything is going smoothly.

I just tried this game on my SD2SNES(A way to play on the SNES using an SD card to hold the ROM files) after patching it with your Version V0.10   I was playing on NORMAL mode. I had just made it into Potos village and while in the item shop (Before going to see the Elder) I was fooling around with the Binding option (Pressing R), I pressed R and then started moving the little face around and it stuck on the far right of the screen and the game froze. The music was still going but I could not move or do anything, I tried pressing all buttons on my controller and eventually just reset.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this problem or if I did something wrong? I know the binding is for magic and the boy doesn't have any magic to choose so maybe that had something to do with it? I will try the game again in the next couple days and see if I can recreate what happened or figure out why it happened.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to do a full playthrough  :thumbsup:

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #451 on: October 03, 2017, 08:58:31 pm »
First, I've created discord server for this project: https://discord.gg/cMYx3RH.
Its seperated into multiple channels: announcements, current progress, suggestions, questions and general discussion.
It should make it easier to manage for me, as I want to answer to everyone and end up having to write giant posts in here.
It will make it easier for you to follow the development too, especially for those who are new to the project since this thread is now 23 pages long I can't expect people to have the time to read through it all and end up answering the same questions multiple times.

I've been busy working on what I now call the "quick spell menu" I still have lots of things to do and some bugs to fix but I have enough working to show you how its gonna look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Q6_XqXOyI&feature=youtu.be
(note: youtube screws up how randi flashes, in-game he looks transparent like ghosts of dead characters)
(also note: the selection finger is blue, pink or green depending on the character of the player who is targeting so it doesnt get confusing if 2 players target at the same time)
- Right now, binding is not done so purim and popoie have temporary hard-coded spell shortcuts. Thats why popoie has cure for example.
What still needs to be done (aside from binding) is multiple-targeting, as well as "proper targeting" like not beign able to target an ally with attack spells for exemple, also, targeting only dead allies with the regeneration spell etc.. basically make it the same as when you do it from the menu.
- The fact that targeting is "live" also add some stuff that needs to be dealt with like switch to the next available target if the current one dies/goes out of screen etc.. cancel targeting if the caster doenst have enough mp anymore or dies or anything that would prevent it from being able to cast the chosen spell. failing to deal with some of these can have results ranging from exploitable glitches to crashing/freezing the game completely so I have to make sure I think of everything that could cause trouble, howerver unlikely some situations might be.
- I also want to make the spell icon greyed if the caster doesnt have enough mp or is magic-recharging.
- And then.. make it so the character actually cast the spell lol.. but that shouldn't be a problem since I still have the code for the old version.

Anyway, im going back to work on this so I'll post again soon to answer your questions/suggestions, or you can come on the discord server if you want to chat about it

ventuz

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 03, 2017, 09:08:52 pm »
How long is the video? I've been refreshing every minutes, it is still unavailable...

I'm guessing you set it private.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 10:17:27 pm by ventuz »

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #453 on: October 13, 2017, 11:17:25 pm »
(a) Weapons bindings or "quick shuffle" button. Similar to your spell bindings, I think it would be fun to be able to quickly switch between certain favorite weapons (or when a particular weapon is useful in a given scenario, whip is common) without accessing the ring menu. You might bind with L, instead of R, press one of the keys and then you are set to swap to that weapon. Recognize you use L already for the evade function, so that might pose a problem. Another option might be a "quick swap" of unassigned weapons, so you aren't stealing from another human player on the fly, but browsing through the other weapons.

(b) "Easy" pathing for younger human players. I've started introducing SoM to my young son who's just getting into video games (6 year old), and one common annoyance is the difficult pathing in the game for him, and how that often can be a hold up as we try to traverse across the screen. Could you create some button activated, or system activated setting from within a menu that makes the other human player (much like you've done with an AI controlled player) teleport straight over to the other human player (fine if default is to P1)? Just an idea. I know I need to be patient too!

(a) I like the idea of a hotkey to change weapon altho I think setting mutliple weapons would not be so useful and having to select the weapon (with a menu similar to the quick-spell menu) would make you vulnerable during the time you search for the one you want. I think having 1 weapon set as secondary that can be swaped with the currently equiped weapon would be enough. For example, while climbing the lofty mountains on the way to josh, you could equip the sword and set the whip as you secondary, then switch instantly for the whip for those whip post and back to the sword once crossed. Also during the fight with spikey tiger, you could have a melee weapon equipped and a ranged weapon as secondary and switch to it when the boss goes on the sides. I think using the X button to swap weapons could work be nice. I personally always use Y to open the ring menu and only then press X to open an ally's menu.

(b) Hum, a button to "regroup" wouldnt be hard to add. Altho I would have that feature "uncheked" by default as It could be used to "cheat" jumping to P1 to avoid damage while uncounscious for ex.

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 16, 2017, 12:19:21 pm »
Since there's always been a struggle to find something to make the main character special the changing weapons could be exclusive to him. It also fits thematically.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • Return of the Dark Sorcerer
« Reply #455 on: October 18, 2017, 02:25:48 am »
I noticed a possible bug and I hope nobody minds me re-posting it if it is a known one. Anyway, I noticed when you press the R trigger button when you're playing solo as the boy in the beginning, the game will freeze if you press directional button to the right afterwords, because I assume it's trying to select another party member for that new feature and they're not recruited yet? So to elaborate, if you press R Trigger your character flashes, and pressing a direction button with solo boy freezes the game from what I can tell, I can't seem to get out of that selection menu in other words and the map animations/monsters all freeze. Again, sorry if this is a known issue. If not, I'm wondering if it may be a patching blunder on my part but I don't believe it's that.

Also, I like that idea there, Atrushan. Something to make the Boy feel more unique sounds nice, and that would be quite fitting indeed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:50:58 am by Gi Nattak »
The end comes...beyond darkness.