News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 83151 times)

kethinov

• View Profile
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2017, 07:05:00 pm »
Sorry, I get back to you right away. Here is the link to that version; https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfv0wzfn2qdx13r/SOM-NewGameplayImprovementV007.7z?dl=0 The password to the file is " somisdabomb ", without the quotes of course. I passworded it to keep Dropbox, or anyone/anything else from falsely flagging it. As a general rule do scan with your preferred AntiVirus/AntiMalware, not that there's anything there.

You've been using the wrong utility. It does come with it's own, and it's easy to use! Enjoy!

Note to Zhade, sent you a private message. Let me know if that's a thing.

Ah that was it... 0.10.ips and 0.07.zps with the custom patching tool are totally different things following two different version counts. I get it now. That custom patch selector is awesome!

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere yet but I found a couple bugs in 0.07.zps with the custom patching tool (tested in SNES9x 1.53):

Manual Block: Crashes a lot.

Faster Enemies: Enemy walking is isn't always smooth. For example, Rabite look great, but Mushbooms walking looks janky, as do Lullabuds.

Edit:

Also the moderators here just approved my very first ROM hack, a hack to SoM that rebalances the drop table: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3732/

I have successfully tested it in combination with this hack. They are compatible. :) My work on the drop table hack pales in comparison to the amazing things the rest of you have done, but I'd like to think this is a hack that adds value. In fact I tested my drop table hack in combination with several others, including the variable width font hack, propercase hack, item9 hack, and both variants of zhade's gameplay improvement hack (the 0.10 ips and the 0.07 zps). When applied in the correct order, they all work well together. :D

A poster earlier in this thread had suggested making it possible for a chest to give you a lesser item if you are already maxed out on the main prize. I think my drop table hack solves that problem indirectly because it increases the odds that you will get useful consumables from every monster. Now it won't feel like so much of a waste if you get an item you're already maxed out on because nearly all commonly used items (healing items and faerie walnuts in particular) are easily restocked from monster chests now. This will decrease your inhibitions to use them and your frustration that you could've used one just prior to opening the chest in order to get a freebie. (Especially if you apply the item9 hack too.) I spent many, many months playtesting the drop table changes and slowly refining them to make sure that even with repeated playthroughs and a lot of random chance thrown in it still feels well balanced, or at least better balanced than the original.

One point to note about it though is by itself my hack will decrease the difficulty of the game slightly, which may not be your cup of tea if you're looking for increased difficulty mods. But my emphasis wasn't on difficulty so much as natural progression. My focus was minimizing occasions where monsters drop obsolete equipment and reducing how often you have to do grinding. But if you're looking for increased difficulty, you could always apply zhade's "hard mode" hack from this thread on top of my drop table rebalance since they are compatible. I think they work well together.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:21:43 pm by kethinov »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 28, 2017, 05:55:41 pm »
Well I went back to Mana series, but I cannot find the patcher Zhade is constantly mentioning. All that's in the download zip is the ips patch and snesROMUtil.exe

Also I don't really like the new forum layout :(
Finally, the drop table hack looks worth trying out  :thumbsup:

EDIT: Found out about the 0.07 version having the patcher.
And no, it still isn't possible to patch this hack over the VWF prepatched rom :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BxpOTX44l8
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:23:36 pm by Thirteen 1355 »

Pizzano

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 28, 2017, 10:49:43 pm »
I'm really glad to see this mod is still being worked on. Very excited to try it out again. :thumbsup:

Bufixes/misc stuff
- Fixed bugs with new attack animations not reseting the power% correctly
- Improved rain-of-arrows animation
- Modified the Axe slash attack so it has a wider range
- Modified the Bow's normal shot range
- Fixed a bug with cpus being stuck when teleporting to the player

Are these changes automatically added to the game or part of the weak/strong attacks option or something that you can separately turn on/off??
I only ask because my friends and I loved the longer bow range, but didn't really like the strong/weak attacks. I tried asking this question a while back, but I never got a clear answer.

Also the moderators here just approved my very first ROM hack, a hack to SoM that rebalances the drop table: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3732/

I have successfully tested it in combination with this hack. They are compatible. :) My work on the drop table hack pales in comparison to the amazing things the rest of you have done, but I'd like to think this is a hack that adds value. In fact I tested my drop table hack in combination with several others, including the variable width font hack, propercase hack, item9 hack, and both variants of zhade's gameplay improvement hack (the 0.10 ips and the 0.07 zps). When applied in the correct order, they all work well together. :D

Your mod also sounds really cool.  8)
BTW, what is the correct order to apply the hacks??
Would you consider giving Zhade permission to include your hack in his patcher by default?? I figure Zhade could give you credit for your work and more people would be able to add your nifty hack to the game since they wouldn't have to look for it separately or have to worry about the correct order to apply the different patches. Just a thought.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2017, 07:13:06 pm »
EDIT: Found out about the 0.07 version having the patcher.And no, it still isn't possible to patch this hack over the VWF prepatched rom :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BxpOTX44l8
Yes, it is possible. You have to do it in a certain order. If you don't do it correctly, the result is a corrupt rom. The process of doing it correctly is stated, by me, earlier in the thread. So to be clear, both the 9 Item and VFW patches are completely compatible with Zhades patches and his utility.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:53:33 pm by lexluthermiester »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 02, 2017, 02:19:34 pm »
Oh I see. It works with the 0.07 version but not with 0.1
Thanks!

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 05, 2017, 11:46:50 am »
I'm pretty sure the file in the first post (dated February 2016) is the latest version is his first version of the hack (named "SoM GameplayImprovementV0.10"), before he started from scratch. It's the new version he made afterwards the one with the modular approach and the patching utility, which he started naming "SoM NewGameplayImprovement V0.0x". As far as I can see here, the latest one is v0.07, the one with the broken link. I'm not sure what happened after that, did they move updates to the Discord channel he opened up? I haven't been there.

So if anyone has the latest version of the "NewGameplayImprovement", the one with the modular patched, please reupload! I'm stuck at "SoM NewGameplayImprovement V0.05", I missed v0.07 back when the file was up.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the correct patching chain to get it working with the VWF and 9 max items patches:

- Patch VWF into a Headered clean rom (that's the version that patch was made of)
- Remove header with snesROMUtil (I THINK. I happened to have a prepatched rom VWF which already had the header removed, for some reason).
- Patch the 9 items limit patch into it.
- THEN FINALLY open up with the "NewGameplayImprovement".

Edit:

Nevermind! I had skipped the last few posts and realized everything I said was already covered.
If anyone comming here has any confusion left, I suggest downloading Kethinov's Drop Table rebalance hack and follow the readme. It has a guide to make all relevant patched compatible, including links to both versions of the improvement patch...

I hope he doesn't mind (if he does, I'll edit later), but I'll just quote that section of his readme here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
==========================
Combining with other hacks
==========================
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This hack is compatible with a range of other fantastic SoM hacks. In particular, I recommend combining this with:

- Variable Width Font hack: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/18/
- Proper-caser hack: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1105/
- Item Limit "9" hack: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/672/
- Gameplay Improvement hack (not yet finished as of this writing, but very cool!): http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20093.0

If you want to apply this patch with all of those to a ROM, the recommended procedure is as follows:

1. Use the following ROM: Secret of Mana (U) [!].SMC
    Header: YES
    CRC32: 229BA7E4
    MD5: 759A3837E5C16AF31464EF6192731EEB
    SHA1: 4E214F3C987F842C2C68E77B99FC9760F6BB753D
2. Download Lunar IPS tool: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240
3. Download SNES ROM Utility: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/
4. Using the Lunar IPS tool, apply the Drop Table Balance hack.
5. Using the Lunar IPS tool, apply the Variable Width Font hack.
6. Using the Lunar IPS tool, apply the Proper-caser hack.
7. Using SNES ROM Utility, remove the ROM header.
8. Using SNES ROM Utility, apply the Item Limit "9" hack.
9. Last but not least, the Gameplay Improvement hack. This is a bit trickier, see below...

As the Gameplay Improvement hack is not yet finished as of this writing, there are actually two mutually exclusive versions of it you can try out:

- The "bundled" version (latest is V0.10): https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2feqmgr9b0d83f/SoM%20GameplayImprovementV0.10.zip?dl=0
- The "split" version (latest is V0.07): https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfv0wzfn2qdx13r/SOM-NewGameplayImprovementV007.7z?dl=0 (the password to the file is somisdabomb)

Both versions offer a range of improvements, most notably tweaks to weapon combat that have been widely praised.

The bundled version is notable for having an overhauled magic system which is a bit more controversial.

The split version offers a tool to cherrypick which patches from the bundle to apply. You can for instance choose not to apply the manual blocking patch or the faster enemies patch, but keep the other combat changes. As of this writing, the overhauled magic system is not available in the split version.

Presumably the author zhade intends to supersede the bundled version with the split version by offering all the changes in the bundled version as options in the split version.

As of this writing, my personal recommendation is to play the split version with the following options disabled:

- Manual Block: Crashes a lot.
- No Automatic Blocking: Gotta disable this if manual blocking doesn't work.
- Faster Enemies: Enemy walking is isn't always smooth. For example, Rabite look great, but Mushbooms walking looks janky, as do Lullabuds.
- Magic recharging: This one is a personal preference, but I personally dislike how it slows down magic grinding.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:29:45 pm by acediez »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:02 pm »
Oh I see. It works with the 0.07 version but not with 0.1 Thanks!
It's compatible with the newest version as well.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: Today at 06:40:15 am »
Welp, my game crashed as soon as I tried blocking a Rabite's attack.
Using 0.07 of this patch along with FuSoYa's VWF patch...

Patched exactly as instructed. It did work but not for too long...

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: Today at 07:12:26 am »
Welp, my game crashed as soon as I tried blocking a Rabite's attack. Using 0.07 of this patch along with FuSoYa's VWF patch... Patched exactly as instructed. It did work but not for too long...

Did you follow the method I described in a post previously in the thread? I'll quote myself below..

Ok, just tried 0.06 then VWF then 9item. No go. Tried VWF then 9item then 0.06, no go. 0.06 then 9item, works. Figured out what the problem was. The VWF needs a headered rom and the 9item needs unheadered. So here's the method how to make them both work with this utility;

1. Get a headered rom[2049kb file size, CRC32 = 229BA7E4] and apply the VWF patch as per the norm. The rom file will now be 3073kb in size.
2. Use a snes rom utility[I use Snes Rom Utility 2.10] to remove the header. This step creates a new rom file with 3072kb file size.
3. Apply the 9item patch to the new rom as per norm. File size will not change.
4. Use SOM Improvement Utility to apply any of the patches you wish. This step also creates a new rom with 4096kb file size. The utility should show the CRC32 in red as 21A1731F.

If the CRC32 matches and you get to the naming screen without the game crashing, you're golden! Have fun! I suggest backing up the rom after step 3 for future SOMIU versions that come out.
This method still applies. It's a bit rigmarole, but it works with both 0.07 and 0.10

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: Today at 07:20:53 am »
Yes I followed these exact instructions. It didn't work for 0.1, judging from my experience, and yeah... it crashes with 0.07...

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: Today at 07:34:03 am »
Yes I followed these exact instructions. It didn't work for 0.1, judging from my experience, and yeah... it crashes with 0.07...
I just tried it on a fresh rom out of curiosity. Works fine in both SNES9x and ZSNES. What are you running the rom on?
EDIT; Keep in mind I'm talking about 0.07 and 0.10, not 0.1, which was a different patch. Zhade's naming convention is a bit hard to follow and took some trial and error.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:46:33 am by lexluthermiester »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: Today at 07:50:41 am »
Ah, in the case of 0.1 VS 0.10 it might have been an error on my part, I might have mixed up the two.

I play on SNES9X, and the crashing on 0.07 still remains a thing...

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: Today at 07:58:12 am »
Ah, in the case of 0.1 VS 0.10 it might have been an error on my part, I might have mixed up the two.

I play on SNES9X, and the crashing on 0.07 still remains a thing...
Where is it crashing?

EDIT; Just realized/remembered that 0.10 is a glitched patch where magic casting is all messed up. The 0.07 ZPS based patch is, AFAIK, the most current of the released patches.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:42:14 am by lexluthermiester »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: Today at 10:27:22 am »
It crashed as soon as I tried blocking an attack from a Rabite, right after slashing with my sword.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: Today at 11:37:54 am »
It crashed as soon as I tried blocking an attack from a Rabite, right after slashing with my sword.
Ah! That's a known problem. Reapply the ZPS patch but uncheck the blocking features.
I personally uncheck the "Strong And Weak Attack", "Manual Block", "No Automatic Blocking", "Faster Enemies" and "Act Defaults"
These feature are not yet perfect, but Zhade is working on them, AFAIK. The rest work great and really make the game better.