News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 69995 times)

Imaynotbehere4long

• View Profile
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #440 on: August 16, 2017, 10:22:01 pm »
I have a suggestion: can you make it so that magic attacks are avoidable? The main thing I hate about the game is when a boss starts spamming magic attacks, which causes your full-HP characters to freeze in place and die (and that's on top of all the other things I hate about the game, like the lack of invincibility frames after you get hit, giving you no time to recover from enemy attacks, and the enemies that will repeatedly spawn more enemies at a seemingly infinite rate).

EDIT: Also, compatibility with the scroll hack would be nice.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:30:53 pm by Imaynotbehere4long »

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2017, 09:24:13 am »
Seems you guys are still going good on this. My only question is for the Dark lich fight. Could you possibly make his hands chase you faster and give the hands more range so you have a good chance at dying. This is the best fight in the game and we all know it. So I have to put this out there. Because me and my friends play this on 3 players and....it's just to easy of mechanics to avoid his attacks. I know I shouldn't throw requests on people so I'm sorry for my ignorance but this is more of an idea that I just have to put out there. ::)

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:04 am »
I have a suggestion: can you make it so that magic attacks are avoidable? The main thing I hate about the game is when a boss starts spamming magic attacks, which causes your full-HP characters to freeze in place and die (and that's on top of all the other things I hate about the game, like the lack of invincibility frames after you get hit, giving you no time to recover from enemy attacks, and the enemies that will repeatedly spawn more enemies at a seemingly infinite rate).

EDIT: Also, compatibility with the scroll hack would be nice.

- I dont really like how magic attacks freezes your character either, but I can't think of a good way to make them avoidable.. It would be too easy to just be able to block them like regular attacks because of how we can see in advance that an enemy is about to cast a spell and all. And also, a low level spell would be as difficult to block as a high level one.. and cpu-controlled characters wouldnt be capable of doing it.
Also, characters who are targeted by spells use their "weapon gfx space" and "weapon palette slot" for the spell animation so even if it would be possible to at least let them be able to move until the spell hit, they wouldnt be able to use their weapon.. I found out how to speed up spell effects tho, ill see how fast I can make them go so the freeze time is reduced.

- About the invincibility frames, I have an option for that in my current build, it basically makes it so unless you have control of your character, attacks cant hit you. Still needed to have it work properly with status effects.. Enemies still can hit you repeatedly right at the moment you take control and leave you unable to move if you are unlucky, but holding block while recovering will make you block at the very first frame that your invincibility ends.

- Enemies that spawn other enemies (or copies of themselves) basically roll a dice each AI cycle (I think slimes have something like a change out of 4 or 8) and spawn a creature if there are less than 3 monsters on screen.. I guess it would make sense to force it to at least wait some time between spawns instead of just having a low chance. Ill definately will go back into enemy AI someday, but probably not soon, still got lots of less engaging featurettes to add.

I registered just to comment how excited I am about this hack. Hope to see that video soon!

I have made progress with the spell selection outside of the menu thingy, but unfortunately, it really doesnt look good with some of the spell icons, Ill have to make some kind of background gfx to put under the icon.. It seems all spell icons work correctly with the proper palette and animation tho  :)
Ill post the video as soon as I have something satisfying :P

Seems you guys are still going good on this. My only question is for the Dark lich fight. Could you possibly make his hands chase you faster and give the hands more range so you have a good chance at dying. This is the best fight in the game and we all know it. So I have to put this out there. Because me and my friends play this on 3 players and....it's just to easy of mechanics to avoid his attacks. I know I shouldn't throw requests on people so I'm sorry for my ignorance but this is more of an idea that I just have to put out there. ::)
Im not really informed about boss AI, and to be honest, its been a while I fought this boss and cant even remember those hands lol. but still, ill try to keep that in mind. im always open to sugestions and with the way my patcher lets you selects which "feature" you want, even crazy-weird ideas that you doubt other people would want might be interesting enough for me to add them  :laugh: