News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 135974 times)

DragonArk

• View Profile
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #500 on: April 23, 2018, 08:25:17 pm »
Congratulations Zhade, I've been following your progress from the start. I'm really happy that you have pulled through and created basically the greatest mod for my most favorite childhood game. Thanks again.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 23, 2018, 10:05:19 pm »
Pre-grats on the soon to be released v1.0, I've been following your progress for a long while now, secretly in the shadows, the itch now is almost unbearable. I can't wait!

OmegaBlazerX

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 25, 2018, 06:16:21 pm »
zhade you are a genius i love this game for so long and with the upgrades i love more but there is something wrong every time i use the patch i play normal but every time i try to save the game it goes black screen i do not know want causes but i think its something on your patch. Keep the good work and please see if you can fix my problem thanks sorry for my bad English.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #503 on: April 26, 2018, 03:03:34 pm »
zhade you are a genius i love this game for so long and with the upgrades i love more but there is something wrong every time i use the patch i play normal but every time i try to save the game it goes black screen i do not know want causes but i think its something on your patch. Keep the good work and please see if you can fix my problem thanks sorry for my bad English.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Oh it seems I have let an error slip into my SRAM saving routine when Equip_2nd_Weapon is OFF, ill have it fixed in the next version, thx for the info  :thumbsup:
Just set Equip_2nd_Weapon to ON if you want to save using on SRAM.

State-saves have a very high chance of not working on a ROM with a different version / different option choices and crash the game badly (if not the emulator too..)
To work around this, I have made a "safe pause" state that you activate by holding B and pressing Start
During the time the screen is flashing, save-states saved will work on any other version/option choices.

KingSolir

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 09, 2018, 05:06:56 am »
just wondering if you ever thought about doing something like this for seiken densetsu 3?

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #505 on: May 12, 2018, 02:09:28 am »
just wondering if you ever thought about doing something like this for seiken densetsu 3?

No, I am only focusing on som. There is a "Hard Type" mod by 3Praetarius for sd3 on insane difficulty that fixes many bugs, balances the classes , makes the 3rd class less of a chore to obtain and more.. (note that there is also an easy version)
SD3 Hard Type on insane difficulty

KingSolir

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 13, 2018, 10:45:12 am »
ill look into that, im mostly interested in the part where you can bind spells to buttons so you don't need to interrupt combat. your mod has that and it sounds great. do any of the mods you mentioned do that for sd3? or do you know of any that do? my friends and i are about to play secret of mana with your mod and after that were gonna move on to sd3 it would be very helpful.

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #507 on: May 23, 2018, 04:34:46 pm »
ill look into that, im mostly interested in the part where you can bind spells to buttons so you don't need to interrupt combat. your mod has that and it sounds great. do any of the mods you mentioned do that for sd3? or do you know of any that do? my friends and i are about to play secret of mana with your mod and after that were gonna move on to sd3 it would be very helpful.

I don't think there is any spell binding mod for SD3. Even tho its fun to not have to interupt (especially when playing with a second player), during a fight you have to be very fast at picking your spell/target(s) since 1st: you are a sitting duck, an enemy might hit you. 2nd: no interuption means that timers are still running.. IE say a boss could have a timer set to 20 seconds that goes down and once it reaches 0, the boss casts an attack spell and restarts the timer.. the time you spend selecting spells/target(s) should be the least possible. I personally probably think too much about this and overdo it.. So I end up casting cure on the character with full HP instead of the one with critial health. So in harder fights I think its wiser to use the menu anyway and IIRC in SD3 you dont cast as much as in SoM so I dont think its really needed.

btw, on my som mod, if you use magic_recharging, it will take 25% less time to recharge if the spell was cast from a hotkey, giving you something for taking the risky choice

V0.16 <--- this has the saving issue fixed
It has some known bugs in it that I already fixed for futur V0.17 which ill post very soon.. along with the list of changes for V0.16 and V0.17

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 26, 2018, 11:01:33 pm »
Looking forward to the new version. Been having a ton of fun with 0.10. Been busy with work and have missed out on the newer versions. Again Zhade, Thank You for all your work and dedication to this excellent effort. Great fun!

selodaoc

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 17, 2018, 09:54:07 pm »
Hey

I tried to download the patch but it seems to be down.

Anyone that can reupload it? :)

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #510 on: June 18, 2018, 07:43:32 am »
protip: try downloading from the most recent post by the author (v0.16), or the newest relevant one before that (v0.14), as opposed to the very first post in the thread.

anyone want to explain to this character what a header is?  i had a premonition that'll be the next question.

saldite

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 05, 2018, 02:13:40 pm »
I did a quick search through the thread and didn't see anything, so I apologize if this has been mentioned (or is already known since I know a 0.17 was mentioned with bugfixes), but in 0.16, I seem to be getting an issue where opening a chest after the inventory/item amount is full seems to freeze my controls. My guess is it's related to the "Don't Despawn Chests When Full" hack.

Currently selected patches are below. Playing on real hardware with an SD2SNES.

Spoiler:

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 05, 2018, 06:15:14 pm »
My guess is it's related to the "Don't Despawn Chests When Full" hack.
Correct. And that will be one of the fixes in .17. Don't use that option until the new version is out.

saldite

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 05, 2018, 06:30:36 pm »
Correct. And that will be one of the fixes in .17. Don't use that option until the new version is out.
Sorry again if that's already been reported. I actually just finished with some of my own testing with various options and came to the conclusion for certain, and was going to edit my original post. Thanks!

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #514 on: July 20, 2018, 06:01:51 am »
I have not been very active here recently but here's v0.18
I'll

Changes from v0.17:

[ Updated Features ]:

- "Saving to SRAM"
    Fixed a bug causing popoie top left hotkey to not be saved

- No_Damage_While_Recovering
    Fixed a bug causing AI to not attack uncouscious characters
    Enemies will target characters even if they are recovering

- Dont_Despawn_Chests_When_Full
    Fixed a bug that made this feature completely broken

- Reduce_Moon_Saber_Healing
    The character doesnt play the yayy animation after each hit
    Healed HP is 1/2 the damage dealt (from 1/4 in 0.16)

- Better_CPU_Allies
    (test) Increased the AI view distances
    (test) Modified some of the allies AI behaviours

- Dont_Despawn_Chests_When_Full
    Fixed a bug that made higher level enemies always give bandanas..

Changes from v0.18:

[ Updated Features ]:

- Better_CPU_Allies
    (test) Completely re-wrote allies AIa

The new allies AI doesn't take the ACT settings into account. Its still a WIP but I personally really enjoy the way they engage more into fights. They approach enemies/attack if their power% is at 100, otherwise they flee. They will also flee (even with 100%) if their target is currently attacking (it seems to only work with some enemies/attacks, and it can falsely take some other animations for attacks ie. sneezing goblins). They wont come back to your character if you are getting too distanced if there is still an enemy close to them... running makes them stop what they are doing and follow the leader.

PerryR

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 30, 2018, 01:59:28 am »
Hi,

is the bug solved when playing with 3 human players that you can self-target your friends with damage spells? And that Quick cast magic only works for player 1.  If player 3 binds heal spell, player 1 can quick cast that spell for him?

Thanks for your continuous work.

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #516 on: August 02, 2018, 09:49:47 am »

is the bug solved when playing with 3 human players that you can self-target your friends with damage spells?

I don't remember a bug beign caused by playing with 3 human players but I rewrote the quick casting thing from scratch and in the old ".ips" version you could cast any spell on any target(s)... The new system have you chose the spell before the target so it only allows picking between the right target(s) for the spell like when casting from the ring menu.

And that Quick cast magic only works for player 1.  If player 3 binds heal spell, player 1 can quick cast that spell for him?

In the new system, all players use the same "hotkeys", there is a quickspell ring for purim and one for popoie so 8 spell can be bound for each magic user: video
In the old version a player couldnt force a character controlled by another player to cast a spell.. I think there is no such restriction in the new version.. I thought I would let the players decide and just not do it if they think its annoying..

The new version uses a ".zps" patch that comes with a patcher that lets you select which features you want.. If you were indeed talking about this and not the old ".ips" patch, these are bugs I wasn't aware of.. I didn't test everything with 3 players so it wouldn't surprise me if I missed somehing

talos91

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42:03 pm »
How do you select difficulty? I start a new game but it doesn't give me the option, I am on latest patch.

August 08, 2018, 07:16:35 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Nevermind, the patch is awesome especially for multiplayer, any plans on reworking the spells leveling up? It is still to grindy and too little mp.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:16:35 am by talos91 »

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 11, 2018, 10:18:20 pm »
Is there an option to have a different setting for number of items you can have? In the HD remake they have 4, 8, and 12. Odd, number choices. There was also a patch for the rom (by Masterflow) that made it so you can have 9 of each item like in Seiken Densetsu 3's inventory. Having more of an item obviously makes the game easier (depending on the cost of the item in question). Perhaps a way to balance would be by making certain items cost more than usual. Candies should stay cheap, but really important items like Cup of Wishes and Faiery Walnuts should stay pricey so that you have to kill more enemies to be able to afford them.

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #519 on: August 12, 2018, 11:25:23 am »
Nevermind, the patch is awesome especially for multiplayer, any plans on reworking the spells leveling up? It is still to grindy and too little mp.

Yeah, with the magic cooldown stoping you from casting spells one after the other it's even more grindy to level up spells..

Altho I liked that it made it harder to grind levels at first.. Sometimes you just want to reach the next level.. like if you got killed by a boss who is weak against a certain element, you might want to just reach the next level of that element before giving it another try..
The thing is.. even for just 1 level it can take forever..

I think one way would be to decrease the amount of exp needed to level up but also decrease all spells powers to compensate.
Attack spells, even with the cooldown, are way OP anyway and reaching level 8:99 is normally only possible if you grind like crazy.

Until then, heres some stuff that can help make it less tedious:

- Enable [Spirits_Default_Levels] so spirits obtained later don't start at level 0
- Casting a spell in a combat map(any map where weapons are out) grants twice the spell experience (From vanilla).
- There is 3 spell cooldown lengths: the Longer ones (attack spells / Cure Water) take 3x more time to recover from compared to Short Ones (Sabers, Buffs/Debuffs)
- Casting a spell using a quickspell hotkey reduces the cooldown time a little compared to casting from the ring menu (Risky, but useful during boss fights)

Casting a low cooldown time spell with a quickspell hotkey makes the cooldown last something like 1 second, finished before the caster can move..

Is there an option to have a different setting for number of items you can have? In the HD remake they have 4, 8, and 12. Odd, number choices. There was also a patch for the rom (by Masterflow) that made it so you can have 9 of each item like in Seiken Densetsu 3's inventory. Having more of an item obviously makes the game easier (depending on the cost of the item in question). Perhaps a way to balance would be by making certain items cost more than usual. Candies should stay cheap, but really important items like Cup of Wishes and Faiery Walnuts should stay pricey so that you have to kill more enemies to be able to afford them.

The 9 items patch is compatible with this mod if you want. I think 4 of each items is OK personally.
Raising the prices would only make a difference in the beginning of the game when you have less money. I remember how in Masterflow's hard SoM cup of whishes costed so much I had to grind a bit just so I have 2 to fight against spikey tiger. It was fun, but Later-on its only spare change tho..

Hum.. I have an idea, It could be interesting if items cost goes up depending on how much you carry.
Say you buy a cup for 150, then the next costs 300, then 600, then 1200 for the 4th etc. doubling each time !
That should keep you from having 9 of each items until very late in the game.

I have no idea how it could be explained that the shop keepers set their prices that way story-wise tho lol:

- "I'd like a candy"
- "20 dollars !"
- "No, wait, make it two !"
- "60 dollars then ! Oh.. but.. I see you already have 1 in your pocket.. it'll be 140 in that case.."
- "What the..?? ... hey, don't look in my pockets ! How about I sell you my candy then ?"
- "Ohhh... ohh.. I already have a hundred.. I wouldn't be able to afford another one even if I sold my house.. (unless maybe if I sold it to watt's.. he already owns at least 4 houses himself.. so..)
- "Hum.. Sure.. I see.. well good luck with your business.. i'll go try dealing with that cat-person again instead.. should be less weird.. even with the cat puns.."