News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 80565 times)

RetroHelix

• View Profile
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2015, 09:36:23 am »
I like 2 most. 13 looks so stuffed.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2015, 01:58:33 pm »
I have to admit that 13 looks pretty rad. The only thing I feel is a tiny bit odd is having an MP label without an HP label.
The MP label seems a little superfluous since it's pretty obvious what that number is supposed to represent given that it is apart from the HP and the boy wouldn't have it at all.
I'm curious to see what it would look like without the MP label and another version with both MP and HP labels.

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 12:55:57 pm »
I've made a playthrough up to PureLand to look for bugs and test the difficulty, I always bought the best armors as soon as I could but never stopped to grind and with the magic recharging time and the "enemies get up faster" the game really seemed harder. I even got killed during a boss fight in the tree palace (the one with a long tongue that swallows characters). Other boss fights were a lot harder than usual, I beat the light palace bosses with only 1 character remaining and no items left. Some enemies are much more of a threat, the ducks in the underground city for exmaple can cast exploder causing 100+ damage on the boy, normally its not that much of a problem but since they now get up faster they can cast while you recharge your power%. It seems I will now need to grind a bit before entering PureLand, the first enemy killed the girl and the sprite in one hit and the boy in 2.. I didnt have enough money to buy the best armors from neko on the re-sunken island and it seems once you talk to jema and leave you cant get back there anymore...

heres the bugs I found that I will need to fix before adding more stuff:
- Some gfx glitches (must be related to showing the MP somehow)
- You can cast spells while uncounscious and other status effects
- The AI sometimes teleport even if they are still in the screen (I think it has something to do with how the maps wrap around)
- Sometimes the charges restart to 0 even if you hold the button
- The MP is shown on the game-over screen
- Enemy attacks were are all considered weak attacks (25% less power, 25% less recharge time) oops..

Thoughts about the hard version:
I think only modifying the characters defense a bit and some slight enemies stat changes should be enough (as far as stats goes). Changing the enemies defense would result in them dodging your attacks more often which would only be frustrating. Giving regular enemies more HP would make fights more time consuming which would not be more fun. Bosses should have more HP tho, some more than others, for example the first fight with the robot in the hole in the dwarf village is a joke as it is now.

I played a bit of masterflow's hard som today (only up to the witch castle) and noticed that the most of the difficulty is about how low your DEF is, so its more about not making errors (getting hit). The problem is that once you get hit it damages so much that your character is thrown to the ground most of the time and then you get hit till you die before you have a chance to move. Its not that hard not to get hit when you know the enemies patterns but the AI keeps getting killed... I would like to have a different approach on difficulty so that its not about causing huge damage when you get hit but more about making it harder not to get hit.

Enemies like playable characters need to recharge their power% between attacks. When they are at 100% they start to move towards you and attack if you are close, I can make this recharge faster to make them more agressive instead of increasing their STR or reducing your DEF. I tried making them recharge their power twice as fast and it really makes them a lot harder to fight, the block button gets really useful and since the enemies get up faster after a hit the fighting gets pretty intense. That would increase difficulty in a fun way, making you change your fighting strategy in order the avoid getting hit instead of punishing you more when you do. Heres a video of me fighting some agressive goblins, the frame rate drops like crazy when I record AVI with my debugger even tho the resulting video frame rate is normal, it gets very hard to control so don't judge my poor skills :P Fighting Against Angry Goblins

Changing the equipment prices would only result in the need to grind for money and since I want to add stat boosts to equipments you might buy more and sell less. For example if a shop has two new helmets for sale for the sprite, one with higher defense and one which boosts INT, you might want to buy both and switch depending on the situation and might not want to sell your previous helmet which increased STR. So you will most likely have less money anyway.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2015, 10:24:44 am »
Sorry if this has been explained before but I started replaying in 1-player (0.6, Easy) and I'm wondering how you reliably switch which character that the one you're currently controlling controls when quick casting spells?
Edit: Nevermind, I thought this worked differently and you had 8 hotkeys instead of 4.

As far as I can tell, it will switch to the one that you last bound magic to buttons with. But if you're playing as the boy, using the sprite's spells with R, and then switch to the girl to use her magic quickly (having bound spells to buttons previously), the game makes you use the sprite's spells instead even though the targeting portrait is the girl's, so it gets confusing. Is this the way it should be or am I missing something? Using the menu for the girl's spells is fine of course, but I think this should probably be documented so as not to confuse new players, playing in 1-player.

I'm making a list of suggestions trying to be as thorough as possible as I play through the game now. I'll post a few now and maybe the rest later as some of it is rather minor and I don't want to dilute attention from major things.
As for your list above I can confirm that there are minor graphical glitches every time I enter dialogue with someone.

-Would it be possible to add the "miss" message as seen in Secret of Evermore so you're sure that it's not the hit detection or the enemy casting a spell/being affected by one when your attacks don't hit?
-Could you add the "error" sound when trying to cast a spell while spell charging or without enough MP and make it so that the pointer doesn't disappear as if you cast the spell (instead it stays where it is and nothing happens, so you don't have to re-target).
-I still get annoying situations in cramped areas in 1-player where 2-3 enemies pummel a character and their hits add up with a delay on them so that the stun animation happens and then the char takes another hit, and then another. I would sugggest adding a small invincibility time after taking a hit to avoid this, or  shortening the delay between the hits so it's less frustrating to watch. The same could go for delays on your hits vs. enemies, unless you think that's OP.
-Considering that some enemies are hard to read (to see if they'll attack), maybe you could add the blinking animation to them while they're recharging their stamina? Just a thought for hard mode/manual blocking mode with more aggressive enemies.
-You can easily kill enemies that are off screen with the bow. Slow at first, but in emulation or with a levelled up bow it's tempting to exploit it.
-The bow still feels a bit weak in normal battle, since it only hits one target at a time and misses fairly easily. A problem I've found is that sometimes the arrow flies shorter and lands in front of enemies, and it seems to happen if you stand next to a wall (when I tested it I placed the character right below a wall).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:21:17 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Thanatos-Zero

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2015, 12:09:31 pm »
I was one of the Beta-Testers for MasterFlow's HardSecretOfMana.

It was a nightmare to get through of it in the early stages of the game.
The point were it got too hard was the moment with the snake boss.
Also the ice country was a nightmare for its own.

During my testing I learned how to master the game, becoming entirely pragmatic by exploiting the AI of the enemies, so I could finish them.
Surprisingly fighting against Gesthar's first Mecha Rider form, which was hard as ****, the spirits of my fallen comrades acted as shields against the homing rockets.

The closer I came to the end game the easier the game became, but still challenging as the enemies still were deadly.
Master Ninjas which had about 3000 HP could easly be taken down with Shade's Demi-like spell.

Also MasterFlow made some questionable changes, like giving certain monsters either a absolute immunity to magic or weapons, but it worked, as long you was prepared for it.
Nowadays if I introduce monsters with immunity to weapons, I would make sure to give bosses the ability to spawn foes which drop fairy walnuts.

Here a PDF file of my report.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/os0ipk4tnmipfln/Thanatos-Zero%27s%20Ergebnisse%20zu%20Hard%20Secret%20of%20Mana%20-%20SDC%20quiz.de.vu.pdf?dl=0

To note: It is in german, as such it also uses the german translation of the game.

ChemaROMhacking

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2015, 12:45:36 pm »
-OBSERVATIONS-
@PresidentLeever Spells are binded on the controller/player, not on the character

Some people, including OP, mention this game became harded, while that may be true it is not hard to the point where you need to grind, you just need to use the tools provided that you would otherwise neglect in the vanilla version; Stone saber spell is your best friend, cast it on your main character whenever you can and further on the game having 2 with stone and 1 with fire weapon helps a ton.
Doing the above, charged attack should become a situational tool, you should relly more on regular attacks and lvl 1 attacks

As for those boses that hit hard, the bull and the green lizard come to mind, use the fire bouquet spell, it makes them bearable

-GLITCH/BUG REPORT-

Copy Casting
There is a glitch where character A copies the spell of character B should B cast a spell while A is doing so
Some spells seem to have a higher priority over others, depending on the spell itself and the way they were casted (whether from the ring or a shortcut)
-Should the spells have the same priority, the first spell just disappears
-Should the first spell have a higher priority, both spells are casted without any issue
-Should the first spell hav a lower priority, it copies the second one
Spells casted from the ring menu and spells with projectiles seem to be the most vulnerable to copy casting

In pureland, when reaching the mana tree cutscene, the scrolling becomes messed up

When casting spells from the ring menu, you have to quickly tap the spells or it will be casted on the first target (the boy)

-SUGGESTIONS-
You have planned a shared exp for spells, while on paper this reduces grinding, it is a BAD idea for offensive spells
Offensive spells are quite competent at lvl 4 and anything above that is extremely powerful.

I suggest you just make lvl 4 as the starting lvl for Shade, Dryad, Luna and Lumina/Wisp

Analyzed no longer works on chests, making sylphid/jinn the most useless spirit for the girl

Increasing the length of stat up spells at low levels would be nice

Placing savepoints before major bosses would be nice as well
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:03:55 pm by ChemaROMhacking »

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2015, 03:09:55 pm »
@President leever:
The magic binding is not character dependent so when you switch between characters your hotkeys are still the same. The face cursor always shows the character you are controlling so that when playing with more than one player if 2 player target at the same time there is no confusion, it does not represent the character who will cast the spell.

missing : enemy make a dodging animation when you miss them, if they dont its because they can't take a hit a this moment, I think enemies have no dodging animation in SoE so they must have added the "miss" to make it clearer. It would be a nice addition but Im already having trouble with showing the MP, I get graphics glitches, you might have noticed some when slimes multiply or enemies spawn other enemies or when someone gets engulfed some spriites are glitched for a small amount of time. So maybe later once I get more familiar with graphics stuff.

The error sound : that would be nice, I actually have been lucky that a sound is played when a spell does get cast, I just called a function to cast spell and the sound came along without me having to do anything else. I guess it would not be too hard to find how the error sound is played when you cant cast a spell. Making you stay in target-mode when you select a bound spell and the character cant cast makes sense and should be easy to do.

Invincibility frames : while playing with the enemies power% recharging time I tried making it recharge immediatly to see how crazy enemies would be to fight and the fight against the wolves to rescue the girl was completely impossible because they kept hitting me before I could get up. They were fun to fight if it was not for this so I found a way to make you invincible to physical attacks until you get up again, it also makes you invincible when casting spells and when unconscious (basically when you can't move) I will include this feature in the next version, it makes things easier, but I dont think anybody find it fun to die this way. It will also allow me to increase the speed at witch enemies recharge the power% in the hard version without this happening all the time.

The blinking on enemies: For players the blinking is done by changing their palette, IIRC each player has a different palette used when blinking so I would need to make one for each enemies to make them blink which would take way too much time to do. I tested many different power recharging time for enemies and 1/2 or even 1/4 seems ok, they get so agressive that they are easier to read, you basically can consider that they will always attack you when you get in range :P.

The bow: imo, it now shoots a bit too far and you are right its still not very good unless you are so far from enemies that they cant hit you back. I will need to find something else to make it better, maybe some added power or critical chances. I think the arrow flying shorter is because the arrow hits the wall, the arrow's height is not taken into account when calculating hit detection so basically if you are facing right and shoot an arrow the arrow doesnt get up and come down as it flies, it really goes to the left of your character and comes back so if there is a wall to the left of your character, the arrow will hit the wall and stop. Its how it always have been in the game, so not my fault :P.

@Thanatos-zero:

I think MasterFlow's hack is aimed at people who already beat the game several times and know every tricks to give them a challenge and it really works at that. I would like to have a different approach so that you dont have to exploit the AI or use tricks like healing a character when he gets targeted by a spell to prevent getting hit, I would also like to make it impossible to use some tricks like the healing thing. Ill have to try to beat masterflow's hack one day tho.

as for the report, I can't read german, I learned a bit of german a long time ago when I was working with a team consisting mostly of germans on an Unreal Tournament 2003 mod (that was never finished) so I recognize some words but not much.

@ChemaRomHacking:
thanks for the report !

copy casting:
Damn.. I thought I had this one fixed. When the spell is copied is the character targeting the target of the copied spell ? I can't seem to get the glitch to work, do you have to cast the 2nd spell before the spirit appears ?

Pureland scrolling, I guess this has to do with the AI characters teleporting, ill have to check this.

I didnt notice how you have to tap B quickly or else it targets the boy, ill have to fix this

I didnt remember that you could analyze chests  :o ill make them targettable

I think xp sharing for spirits would not really be needed, I kind of liked that some boss were harder because I didnt use their weakness element much but sometimes it was level 0 and ended up doing only 1 damage. Increasing the time of the stat up spells and increasing the level of spirits once you get them would be better than sharing XP, tho level 4 for shade an lumina is a bit too much imo. I think something like this would be fair : undine 0, gnome 0, sylph 1, salamander 2, shade 3, lumina 3, luna 4, dryad 4

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2015, 03:31:22 pm »
@zhade:
Thanks, I should've tested it more before posting as I figured it out right afterwards :P It could be a nice addition for a 1-player only version to have two separate sets of four, but perhaps it's something for later on.

Missing - I don't know, it seems like for example the green slimes dodge attacks without an animation at times, such as the bow's arrows? And the "eyes in the wall" boss seemed to soak up hits in a strange way too. I was under the impression that if you miss (based on stats), then nothing happens, but if they dodge there is an animation and that perhaps stronger attacks caused this. But I guess not. It would be nice to have a direct indication of what went wrong with your attack, but not top priority I suppose.

Error - Very cool, looking forward to it!

Invincibility - Glad to hear you were already working on this, I'm sure most people will like it. :D

Blinking - You're probably right, and I guess it would've looked pretty dumb to have enemies blinking like that anyway hehe.

Bow HD - Yeah, I remember something to that extent happening with melee weapons in Evermore as well. Well, it's not a big issue for the most part, just happens occasionally in cramped areas. Maybe the bow could have a higher hit rate than usual? I agree that a slightly shorter range is probably for the best.

Thanks a lot for all your hard work!

Stone saber spell is your best friend, cast it on your main character whenever you can and further on the game having 2 with stone and 1 with fire weapon helps a ton.
Doing the above, charged attack should become a situational tool, you should relly more on regular attacks and lvl 1 attacks

Stone Saber? I don't know, it's kind of expensive, only affects one char and fizzles out rather quickly (which is an issue even with only 5 seconds of spell charging since you'll waste 10-15 seconds casting it on everyone). If it lasted a bit longer and maybe cost only 2 MP it would be a nice spell though, yeah.
Edit: Didn't realize how the duration works before, it's actually a very good, almost OP spell.  :-[

"When casting spells from the ring menu, you have to quickly tap the spells or it will be casted on the first target (the boy)"

Yes, this happens to me to. I just wasn't sure if it was how it is in the original or not.

Edit:
"I think something like this would be fair : undine 0, gnome 0, sylph 1, salamander 2, shade 3, lumina 3, luna 4, dryad 4"
I agree with this, and would also say that Healing Drop is too strong at levels 0-2 (I'm at Matango right now), it needs only be about 60-70% of its current strength in my opinion.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:51:10 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

ChemaROMhacking

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2015, 06:49:29 pm »
Copy casting works as long as you cast before the spirit dissapears or before the projectiles (sabers, fireballs, wind blast, etc) hit the target

For instance try casting missile gem through the ring menu on an enemy then quickly cast healing drop through a shortcut on the boy

For some reason I don't seem to be able to replicate it with 2 shortcut spells, it must be a ring one followed by a shortcut one, however I DO remember being able to do so and that's how I noticed it

Moreover, during my trip on pureland there was a strange glitch that, no matter how fast I tapped the button, whenever I wanted to cast a spell through the ring menu it would always be casted on the boy, the targetting icon (current selected character's head) would only appear for a fraction of a second. Eventually the glitch went away, after beating 3 or so bosses... I think i did reset the game or something
Maybe they are related?

I wish I could provide video footage, saddly I can only play it on my phone since I am always on the go

EDIT: as for the analyze spell targeting chests, that is the only way to disable traps

Edit 2:
If you select a spell through the ring menu and cancel it on targeting mode, no matter which shortcut you use later, the canceled spell is casted instead
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:58:08 pm by ChemaROMhacking »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2015, 07:22:23 pm »
The bow: imo, it now shoots a bit too far and you are right its still not very good unless you are so far from enemies that they cant hit you back. I will need to find something else to make it better, maybe some added power or critical chances. I think the arrow flying shorter is because the arrow hits the wall, the arrow's height is not taken into account when calculating hit detection so basically if you are facing right and shoot an arrow the arrow doesnt get up and come down as it flies, it really goes to the left of your character and comes back so if there is a wall to the left of your character, the arrow will hit the wall and stop. Its how it always have been in the game, so not my fault :P.

What about just making them shoot straight like in Zelda? Being weaker than the other ranged weapons but offering the play a safe distance away from melee enemies. Of course then you'd have to re-balance the damage so that the player doesn't have an unfair advantage. Might make Chobin Hood encounters more interesting though.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2015, 07:55:55 pm »
Edit 2:
If you select a spell through the ring menu and cancel it on targeting mode, no matter which shortcut you use later, the canceled spell is casted instead

Yes, just tried it and this happens on my end as well.

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2015, 08:13:37 pm »
I wonder if there's three separate variables in RAM for each PC to state which one is using what spell?  If not, that'd probably be the way to go.  And if the spell was cancelled, just zero out the RAM value so nothing's casted.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2015, 09:45:01 pm »
Man this thread blows up with high school essay long posts.

As far as the otherwise useless equipment getting stat increases is concerned, you will REALLY have to make the stat changes matter because otherwise it will be all for naught. Think of those bland MMORPGs that offer next to no character customization where one person finds an amazing build for their respective class in a respective mode of play, posts it somewhere, and then all of a sudden almost everyone who plays the same class has copied that build. That is the problem: hivemind. If I were to play your hack and found the best gear to pass through each section of the game with ease, and then posted it into a walkthrough, then a lot of players would just copy what I did to easily pass through the game; rarely will you find people wanting to hinder their playthrough for entertainment, unless they are trying to get that Youtube money.
I do not know a workaround aside from creating chaos or randomness in the monsters, but with all the creative shit you have produced thus far zhade I am sure you can think something up.

Having iframes while knocked down sounds like a great idea as far as I am concerned. I welcome ANYTHING to circumvent that being beat in a corner problem. It should only be in fighting games, and even there it is fucking annoying.

Is there any way to tweak the AI to cure them of their mouth breathing in farts syndrome? Also, any way to fix them getting stuck behind shit? Like I said before, they did a good overhaul of it on the mobile version, but there were still sections where they were just as dumb. The best thing was you being allowed to walk off screen without them.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2015, 08:09:27 am »
That's why it's so important to make the core mechanics of melee and magical battling balanced so as to make most strats equally viable.

I forgot to comment on this:
"use tricks like healing a character when he gets targeted by a spell to prevent getting hit, I would also like to make it impossible to use some tricks like the healing thing. "

I thought most people already used this in the vanilla game and after all it is the dodging of magic attacks, keeping the game out of the realm of turn based RPG battling. So while it could be better balanced I really hope it stays.

Edit:
"Placing savepoints before major bosses would be nice as well"
Perhaps a quicker alternative to this would be to allow the use of the magic rope during boss fights? Unless it screws things up.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:23:13 am by PresidentLeever »

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2015, 12:07:18 pm »
I found what caused the spell copy bug, its now fixed as well as the bugs when casting from the menu (taping B and cancel).

Moreover, during my trip on pureland there was a strange glitch that, no matter how fast I tapped the button, whenever I wanted to cast a spell through the ring menu it would always be casted on the boy, the targetting icon (current selected character's head) would only appear for a fraction of a second. Eventually the glitch went away, after beating 3 or so bosses... I think i did reset the game or something
Maybe they are related?
I couldn't find a way to trigger this bug but I think it might have been related to the taping thing so it should be gone now.

@justin3009
Each character do have its own RAM variables that state which spell he uses, as well as the target(s) and spirit. I found out that the copy spell bug was because the game writes at these RAM adresses depending on the last char who was in the menu when showing the spell name before casting, overwriting the values I had put there myself. The canceling was an error in my code, I just forgot to put back the "playerIsCastingFromMenu" value to 0 when canceling :P.

@SageOwl :
in version 0.5 the AI can't get stuck anymore, they get teleported to the player when they go off-screen. It has some strange behaviours in some maps tho and I think thats what causes the scrolling bug at the end of pureLand. I might just change it so AI characters can get off-screen but dont teleport when they do.
"tweak the AI to cure them of their mouth breathing in farts syndrome" lol you mean making them smarter right ? I don't think it would easy to do, personally I put their "ACT" to Attack (completely to the left) and put them to Approach if they have a melee weapon equiped, it makes them better and less likely to get killed, altho they are still pretty dumb they are way better that way. Maybe I could try to change their ACT depending on situation to make them smarter like when their power% is not full or when they charge they would act as Guard/Keep away and then when they are ready they would act as you have set them ? Their major problem is that they dont go far enough after they swing their weapons so they get hit easily.

Ill fix some other stuff and put up a new beta version soon

Edit: New beta version !
There is 3 patches, easy, normal and hard

easy : 5sec magic recharge time
normal : 10sec magic recharge time
hard: 10sec magic recharge time + enemies are 3x more agressive

- MP is shown in the girl's and the sprite's status area (only under the box for now)
- AI characters no longer teleport when they go off-screen
- Treasure chests can now be targeted
- Fixed a bug where strong attacks were considered weak if you released the direction before releasing the attack button
- Fixed bugs when casting from the menu
- Fixed the spell copy bug
- Fixed a bug that made enemies recharge their power faster
- Fixed the pureland scene scrolling bug
- Other bug fixes that I forgot about..

You can still get hit when on the ground/unable to move, Ill have to find another way to make this work because the way I did it bosses "special attacks" couldnt hit you..
The hard version only has more agressive ennemies for now but since you can get hit when on the ground some enemies (like the werewolves) might be very hard. Im not sure it affects bosses and didnt test it much, just thought you might want to try.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:53:16 pm by zhade »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2015, 12:12:47 pm »
- AI characters no longer teleport when they go off-screen

Just to be clear, they still teleport to where you are if they get stuck when you're moving around right?

Very pleased with the rest, thank you!

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2015, 01:39:15 pm »
While looking at a way to make equipment boost stats I found out the game already did it  :o only by 5 but still, I never had noticed. A power wrist for example boost your STR by 5.
The equpiments also all add Magic defense, evasion and magic-evasion
For some reason all equipents of the same type give the same amount of evasion and magic-evasion, for example all head equipements (all but bare-head) increase evasion by 23... thats kind of useless, Ill give the increase wether you have something equipped or not so that I can re-use those two bytes for stat boosts.

I would also like to show all affected stats when selecting equipments. So since all equpiments give defense and m.defense, both would always be visible and then there would be the bonus boosted stat.
The text box doesnt have a lot of space tho, maybe I would have to remove the item name..
istead of:
"Dragon Helm        66-> 66"
It would show:
"STR+ 8  MDF+ 50 DEF+ 66"

@PresidentLeever:
only if you press a switch/get close to a whip checkpoint. It caused some bugs, its a temporary solution.

ChemaROMhacking

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2015, 02:37:31 pm »
You didn't know about the hidden stats for equipement?
You should check the somedit page, there is some information you might find helpful

Taking off AI teleportation brought soft-locking issues, whenever a character is not on screen, should you trigger a gathering (rope leap, switches, entering a screen-scrolling door)
Also switching characters while one is offscreen, what is displayed doesn't match

On hard mode, did you made enemies more aggressive by increasing the hidden speed/agility stat for each one?
Or did you edit a global value?

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2015, 03:37:00 pm »
You didn't know about the hidden stats for equipement?
You should check the somedit page, there is some information you might find helpful

Taking off AI teleportation brought soft-locking issues, whenever a character is not on screen, should you trigger a gathering (rope leap, switches, entering a screen-scrolling door)
Also switching characters while one is offscreen, what is displayed doesn't match

On hard mode, did you made enemies more aggressive by increasing the hidden speed/agility stat for each one?
Or did you edit a global value?

I knew about the magic def and that some equipments give immunities to status effects but didnt know some could boost STR/AGI/INT/WIS/CON. What do you mean about the somedit page ? the blog or the forum ?

Teleport bug: oops.. I removed it to prevent some bugs but it looks like it ended up causing even more serious ones  ::)

For the hard mode, I didnt change any stats.
When enemies attack their power% has to refill like playable characters, I made it so it is 3 times faster by cuting the waiting time in 3. It works exactly like when you are doing a weak attack and your power% starts refilling at 25% instead of 0%, but for them it starts at 66%. The speed at which they recharge the remaining 33% is not changed tho so a rabite will still attack less often than a werewolf.

ChemaROMhacking

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2015, 03:59:15 pm »
The somedit blog
While I don't recommend using the editor on its current state, specially in your case due to the many customizations you have done, it is a good to tinker with and the blog itself is a good read
That person digs up some weird stuff from the game

I didn't know there was a somedit forum, gotta check that out

You have been doing a remarkably fast progress, it seems as if you had the source code or something
Keep up the good work