News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 262700 times)

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #560 on: September 07, 2019, 06:51:44 pm »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 16, 2020, 12:24:55 pm »
Heyo, I was wondering what happened to the download file behind the link on the first page. It seems to have been taken down. Is there any other place for us to download it?
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

nosynose

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 17, 2020, 12:07:13 pm »
From the previous page:

That is something Zhade will have to confirm. As far as I know, the current version of this utility, V18(see link below), has all of the features intended to be working and are actually functional.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0pakt420fms1r0/SoM%20NewGameplayImprovement%20V0.18.zip?dl=1

You may also want to try SoM Turbo, the unofficial continuation of this one by Queue, with its separate topic, also on this Personal Projects.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 17, 2020, 03:25:51 pm »
Oops, I had forgotten. I'm already following that one  :-[
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Bazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 26, 2020, 01:43:24 pm »
Hi guys i'm new here!
So sorry if this is a question that was answered somewehre in those 26 pages or so before.
I want to do something very simple (at least that is what i thought that it was simple at first)
The aim is to combine this gameplay improvement hack with the relocalized hack form the main site.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4324/

Now.. the first issue i ran into was making sure my SoM rom was a headlerless using the tush tool it did confirm that its hearderless, so that should be the first step. Now i tried to patch the rom named "Secret of Mana (U) [!]" with the zps / snes patching tool included in v0.18 of this hack as well as for good messure the version included in the "som turbo hack" (which to be perfectly clear sounds like a massive overkill for just wanting to try out how the improvement hack and relocalization patches work in this game and maybe afterwards playing the full game, or not.

So now that we have the basics out of the way here is what i did.
First i tried to only use the zps patcher version of the turbo hack (falsely) assuming it should be a newer version and afterwards used that rom with the ips patcher tool, the result was the relocalization patch seemed to just be missing form it, the file size for just doing the improvment hack alone and combining both this way was also completly identical 4.96 kb is the rom in both instances.

The diffence in using zps and then ips patcher was the following:
Where as the relocalization patch seemed to just somehow be "missing" if i only use zps / snes patcher itself via the "edit chain" function and then putting the .ips file into it, something kind of strange happens. The rom does load in bnes and snes9x until i get to the title where you can name your character. I do hear the menue music, but i do not have any video output anymore, as in a black screen right after the into sequence (i didn't try to just let the full into play out, granted, but i doubt just skipping to the beginning of the game could change anything).

So.. long story short i'm very much at my witts end aside form just putting this process into a vm with windows 7 and praying to god that it somehow ends up with a working game this way. Feel free to point out anything i might've missed here. I just find it very weird that i seem to only be able to choose between either or, or even the full on "turbo hack", which as i said i would like to avoid until it is further on in dev.

(I'm on windows 10 btw, my buddy bought up that could maybe also be part of my problem.)

May 27, 2020, 06:35:10 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well.. this took a whole day to get approved, so in the meantime i did not only figure out my problem. Which was the "load order" in the snes patcher, the relocalization patch comes on top of the new gameplay improvement hack. I also played a save file up to the pandora ruins with level 22, so in that sense this was very fun already. Sadly that is not all it was..

I also had a boatload of weird glitches bugs and even was able to delete characters multiple times by now via the X button (which to my understanding should not do anything in combat and yet it acts like i have the knuckle epuipped on all characters and the movement is also bugged to hell, that is some very strange behaivior.

I might have made the mistake to apply the .zps patch as is. Not thinking about conflicts it could cause, or bugs for that matter. But among all the little issues i had, there is one i'm not even able to wrap my head around. The weapons seem somehow to be used by diffrent party memers "twice" ?! As in i get the weapon swap animation for stuff nobody should have eqipped. For example i'm not able to equip or unequip the whip with any member anymore. Has anybody an idea which hack could cause those problems, or is this save just effed up already? Would be a crying shame..

Also something kind of related. Is there a tool to just check the rom and see which hacks are applied to it and maybe also remove just single patches by themselves?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:35:10 pm by Bazzy »

nosynose

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 28, 2020, 11:59:12 am »
Bazzy.
Dude, what are you doing? SOM Turbo includes both the Relocalization and all (or most) features of this hack, built-in. Use that instead, and in your case, just make sure that Relocalization & GI features (& bugfixes) stay checked, and uncheck the rest. SOM Turbo patcher would automatically resolve/avoid all those incompatibilities and glitches obviously plaguing your current attempt. It is that good.

Bazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 31, 2020, 10:42:04 am »
I will give it a go in time. For now i'm nearly done with a playtrough on this version. And frankly i don't like some of the changes turbo does to the gameplay (the complete removal of stamina for instance. Just sounds like it will make the game prone to spamming attacks with no end in sight). The remake did some things like the nearly complete removal of i-frames on the enemies as well, but it still knew something that could be done with the stamina system at least. I wanted an enhanced vanilla game, not a changed game entierly. That is the reason why i insisted on trying this version first. (aside form the fact that turbo has so many things / changes in it i do not really feel the need on having in the first place).

Anyway back to the new gameplay improvement hack here. It sure has some really baffling bugs left still. I was shocked by things like having two whips all of a sudden, flying party members (player controlled and not) and of course dissapearing ones. The status effects, specfically ice and fire seem to be the prime reason for the game to do those things. (i really have no idea how i got two whips and also was never able to replicate that after the moogle village). Its unfortunate...  because all in all this hack would be ideal if it was way less buggy. What a damn shame.

Edit: Tbh i would also include a .text file in the download clarifiying the spell binding and double use weapon mechanic. It took me a bit to figure out the fact that the .zps file has descriptions for nearly every important mechanic / change in it. But i doubt everybody will be this persistant in getting this hack to work before they quit and just call most of the intended changes bugs. Like i did at the start. Also a big kudos on using the quickspell idea for four spells (unlike the remake, that only had two shortcuts regardless if weapon or spells). And of course the weapon change mechanic via a single button press. Once i got the hang of it that might've been the biggest positive in the whole thing. :-)

(Turbo is on the list, just need to sort out most of the bigger gameplay changes first. And maybe even test diffrent configurations of that for a while..)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:36:44 am by Bazzy »

nosynose

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 01, 2020, 09:48:49 pm »
@Bazzy
You combined Zhade's Gameplay Improvement (GI) & Timbo's Relocalized to get enhanced vanilla gameplay, and instead you get bugged/glitched gameplay. It's obvious that they are not compatible with each other. Why then you keep playing it? And why you keep reporting your experience here? Zhade is not even active for a long time, let alone updating his patch/patcher.
Now, I already shown you that there are faster, easier, and less painful way to get what you want, bug-free: by using SoM Turbo (FYI, I am not SoM Turbo author) It supports Zhade's & Timbo's out of the box: you don't even need their original patches. And all of its supported patches are OPTIONAL, you can tick/untick their boxes to enable/disable them as you wish in the patcher menu before executing the patching. So in your case, you simply tick Relocalized patch and all Zhade's patches (usually marked as NGI or GI) in the patcher menu and untick the whole rest, and BAM! there goes your enhanced vanilla gameplay, unbugged!