News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 185074 times)

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #540 on: February 08, 2019, 04:40:02 am »
my keboard is having trouble, ill have to make it short

1) How are options in the [Options] section at the top of the file defined?
I use an assembler I made with multiple asm and def files and others that outputs all that crammed into the zps file. "options" is what I call the different features that can be picked. Looking at the zps of the v0.18 right now I see that theres [options] followed by [end options].. at the top of the file.. the options are defined in project.aps maybe it used to be different i dunno
2) In the block of text that defines the checkboxes, the first number indicates whether the checkbox is visible, the second whether it defaults to on or off (though this seems to not work if the checkbox is visible, only if invisible). What is the third number?
its the how close to being complete/well tested the option is. the patcher doesnt use it tho
3) What assembler syntax is this? I've figured it out well enough to use, but if documentation exists somewhere, it'd be nice to be able to reference. Searching the internet has only yielded 65c816 ASM with fairly different syntax than occurs in your ZPS file.
My assembler has its own syntax, I can help with it if you have questions
4) Do DEF's in the assembly code work? They don't seem to...
they define a replacement , maybe the code in the zps already has the code replaced ?
 like the original code could be :" ;x2(LSR) , which is then interpreted as 2 LSR. because ;x2 has been defined to be replaced by :
%1
%1

(%1 is replaced by 1st argument, in that case LSR)

5) Is ? the only comment character?
6) Does your original ASM have comments that were stripped during ZPS concatenation and that's why there are huge blank areas?
yes, and "?" is used for description of a function, like if you put the mouse over a function youll have a box poping with the description
7) Like RAW and ADR, is there an assembler directive (or pseudo-opcode, or whatever) for ASCII text (or other data not in hex form)?
not really.OP will take an operation and write its coresponding opcode value.
8) In MULTI_gameplayControls(), what were you trying to do with WDM? Those instructions crash the Canoe emulator, so I had to burn some time figuring out why an SNES Classic was imploding after trying to start a New Game. After figuring that out though, your mod works beautifully on it.
I wanted to use WDM which usually do nothing as "start" and "end" and count the cycles in-between with some modification to geiger's snes9x debugger. I must have forgot to remove it
9) Does anything rely on FPS_DEBUG? I'd like to disable it without side-effects, and I'll eventually double check any variables it sets, but figured I'd ask to save myself the trouble.
It should really be off by default actually, and Setting it off should make it do nothing so there should be no side effects
10) What's the purpose of the SRAM Checksum Bypass? With it enabled, any empty saves show garbage (and hang if you try and load one). Disabling it has seemed harmless, but also figured I'd just ask.
At some point I wanted to be able to edit sram in an hex editor but each time I had to update the checksum or the game would be treated as corrupt, so I added a thing that bypass the check when the checksum is set to "ffff". It didnt seem to cause trouble 

anyway, if you want to edit my code or use the zps format to make your own stuff, it would be much easier with the assembler and the original code with comments and all. we should chat on discord so I can send it to you and explain how it works a bit.

Duran

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 30, 2019, 11:00:37 am »
Is this hack complete, or is it still going to be updated?

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 30, 2019, 09:46:10 pm »
Is this hack complete, or is it still going to be updated?
While I'm sure Zhade is not finished with this project, the latest version of the utility is bug/glitch free and is considered stable.

Duran

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 31, 2019, 09:25:00 am »
While I'm sure Zhade is not finished with this project, the latest version of the utility is bug/glitch free and is considered stable.

Are the thing that were planned to add for this hack, in the latest version?

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 31, 2019, 09:48:46 am »
Are the thing that were planned to add for this hack, in the latest version?
That is something Zhade will have to confirm. As far as I know, the current version of this utility, V18(see link below), has all of the features intended to be working and are actually functional.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0pakt420fms1r0/SoM%20NewGameplayImprovement%20V0.18.zip?dl=0

@Zhade
It might be a good idea to edit the original post and update the link to the latest version as people might be incorrectly thinking that it's the latest.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 09, 2019, 03:34:13 am »
How about a list of confirmed changes in a readme file or something?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:28:23 pm by pleasejust »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 09, 2019, 04:39:37 am »
How about a list of confirmed changes in a readme file or something? Sloppy...
That is an opinion, not shared by everyone. Please just lose the passive-aggressive insults. They are not welcome here.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 09, 2019, 09:22:17 pm »
Sorry, my bad. When you apply the patch, you see all the changes it's applying anyways.

April 11, 2019, 09:24:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
zhaDe's Gameplay Improvement always expects a headerless ROM. Also, the Scroll Hack has to be applied after Gameplay Improvement if you have [Walk_To_Edges_Of_Screen] enabled. Almost all patches work together if you apply FuSoYa's VWF Edition first thing, any others after, then zhaDe's Gameplay Improvement last, with the exception of Scroll Hack, as a general rule.

The (possible) problem here is that the Scroll Hack expects a header. So apply FUSoYa's vwf, remove header, apply GI0.18... add header back in and apply scroll hack? Will that work? I wish all these things could be implemented into this hack. Maybe talk to the authors and combine everything into one and rule the universe as fathers and sons?

Never mind. Found it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:40:49 pm by pleasejust »

rmcin329

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 15, 2019, 09:15:43 am »
Hello, i just found this great sounding hack for Secret of Mana. I've successfully applied the patch already and had a quick question. I thought there was supposed to be an option to select a difficulty upon starting a new file? I just got the standard enter name, then it went straight into the game, never saw any choice for selecting a difficulty, so i'm kinda confused.  On a side note i've only read the first 2 or 3 posts of the topic here, as I don't really feel like reading 28 pages worth of posts.

EDIT
Forgot to mention I used a headerless US rom, and i'm using snes9x version 1.53
EDIT 2
Ran another test this time using bsnes 107.1, still did not see a difficulty select option upon starting a new game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:26:43 am by rmcin329 »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 22, 2019, 03:41:45 am »
I don't really feel like reading 28 pages worth of posts.
At least read through the last few pages as they contain links to the latest version of the hack.
Ran another test this time using bsnes 107.1, still did not see a difficulty select option upon starting a new game.
Wasn't aware there was one. Never had one before. I think that was planed feature that was abandoned.

rmcin329

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2019, 12:43:40 pm »
For now i'm continuing my first playthrough of the game, unmodded. I was mostly looking into this hack for a possible replay of the game, and will probably use it for that purpose at a later time.

brimby

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 18, 2019, 04:19:43 am »
I just downloaded V.18 and patched my rom with it. Now that I'm playing, I'm having an issue where my x button doesn't do anything. I've tried changing the controls so that different actions are on the x button, and none of them work. I also went back and loaded up an unpatched SoM and confirmed that the x button works fine on there.

Has anyone else had this bug happen to them, and is there a fix?

May 20, 2019, 05:03:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok so this is extra weird. I switched emulators to see if it would help, and now my x button works (yay) but various parts of the improvement patch are inactive now. For instance, I can't block anymore, but other patch options like "magic recharge" and "mp points always visible" are still active.

I know this probably doesn't make any sense and I don't blame you if you're doubtful, but I'm just calling it as I see it from over here.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:03:21 am by brimby »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 28, 2019, 02:28:44 am »
I just downloaded V.18 and patched my rom with it. Now that I'm playing, I'm having an issue where my x button doesn't do anything. I've tried changing the controls so that different actions are on the x button, and none of them work. I also went back and loaded up an unpatched SoM and confirmed that the x button works fine on there.

Has anyone else had this bug happen to them, and is there a fix?

May 20, 2019, 05:03:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok so this is extra weird. I switched emulators to see if it would help, and now my x button works (yay) but various parts of the improvement patch are inactive now. For instance, I can't block anymore, but other patch options like "magic recharge" and "mp points always visible" are still active.

I know this probably doesn't make any sense and I don't blame you if you're doubtful, but I'm just calling it as I see it from over here.
What emulator are you using?

For me, SNES9X and ZSNES work perfectly in Windows and on Android SNES9x EX+ works perfectly as well.

Just so you're aware there is another project similar to this which uses this as a base can be found below;
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27890.150

MattKimura

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 14, 2019, 11:19:52 pm »
Hello, just found out about this patch and I'm really interested in this for the quality of life features. But would you guys recommend this to someone who never played the game before? I'm unsure whether to play the untouched original or with this patch.

Also I'm having a bit of an issue with it. I want to use this patch alongside the relocalization patch but when I use the gameplay patch then the relocalization patch, the game results in a black screen. But if I patch a clean rom in the opposite order, the game works. However something very strange happened. After getting the sword I was able to get through the bushes by cutting them down. I let an enemy kill me on purpose later on and it brought me back. Now there was a part where you have to cut downward to get passed some bushes, but no matter how I tried, my character would not cut those bushes. I face down and the character does horizontal facing swings instead. Making it impossible to progress, even though I got through it before I died. Perhaps this patch isnt compatible with the relocalization patch. The zps rom patcher is green for CRC32, and I used Flips for the relocalization patch. I have a collection of patched games so I'm not partuclarly new to patching. Not sure what's going on here.
Thanks!

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 16, 2019, 03:48:40 am »
Hello, just found out about this patch and I'm really interested in this for the quality of life features. But would you guys recommend this to someone who never played the game before? I'm unsure whether to play the untouched original or with this patch.
I personally would HIGHLY recommend playing through the original at least once. It's a grand experience and will help you understand and appreciate not only why this game is so revered and loved by it's fans but also the changes offered by this project and the many others that have been developed recently.

Also I'm having a bit of an issue with it. I want to use this patch alongside the relocalization patch but when I use the gameplay patch then the relocalization patch, the game results in a black screen. But if I patch a clean rom in the opposite order, the game works. However something very strange happened. After getting the sword I was able to get through the bushes by cutting them down. I let an enemy kill me on purpose later on and it brought me back. Now there was a part where you have to cut downward to get passed some bushes, but no matter how I tried, my character would not cut those bushes. I face down and the character does horizontal facing swings instead. Making it impossible to progress, even though I got through it before I died. Perhaps this patch isnt compatible with the relocalization patch. The zps rom patcher is green for CRC32, and I used Flips for the relocalization patch. I have a collection of patched games so I'm not partuclarly new to patching. Not sure what's going on here.
Thanks!
That's kinda strange. It might have something to do with the rom having a header. The Relocalized patch, requires a ROM with a header were as this utility requires a ROM without a header. So it's best to follow this sequence of steps;
1. Apply the Relocalized patch.
2. Use the SNES ROM utility[ https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/ ] to remove the header. This generates a new ROM without a header.
3. Apply the desired effects of the utility in this project to the new ROM.
4. Play

There is also another utility that has kinda of become the spiritual successor to this project that you might find interesting.
www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27890
With that project, the Relocalized patch included and can be applied with all of the other effects in one step.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:21:42 pm by lexluthermiester »

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 26, 2019, 05:45:59 am »
For me the worst idea of this game was made some labyrinth parts like the forest,
atleast the owl sprite could be made to indicate the correct path.

Same with the area exiting with the dog from castle. You can spend hours.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 29, 2019, 10:10:19 pm »
Hi zhaDe.

I read the topic and what you posted, and I feel like it's something that I'd like to try.  Unfortunately, the link (v1.0) seems to be broken.  Can you fix that?

Alsol, I heard (from Kethinov) that you have hack patches for the following (these were all created by you):
- Spell Power Tweaks
- Saber Elemental Damage
- Lower Weapon Status Infliction
- Extend Buff Time
- Acid Storm - Magic Def Down
- Speed Up - Faster Recharge

I can't seem to find that anywhere, even when I used google.  Can you send me those patches? Or post it somewhere (Not sure if they work with Relocalization or other patches, so I'll be sure to read the readme)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 30, 2019, 03:17:38 am »
Hi zhaDe.

I read the topic and what you posted, and I feel like it's something that I'd like to try.  Unfortunately, the link (v1.0) seems to be broken.  Can you fix that?

Alsol, I heard (from Kethinov) that you have hack patches for the following (these were all created by you):
- Spell Power Tweaks
- Saber Elemental Damage
- Extend Buff Time

I can't seem to find that anywhere, even when I used google.  Can you send me those patches? Or post it somewhere (Not sure if they work with Relocalization or other patches, so I'll be sure to read the readme)
The secret of mana turbo hack is an unofficial continuation of this hack and you don't need to enable the new stuff if you don't want to. Go check that out

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 30, 2019, 04:07:01 am »
Hi zhaDe.

Also, I heard (from Kethinov) that you have hack patches for the following (these were all created by you):
- Spell Power Tweaks
- Saber Elemental Damage
- Extend Buff Time

Actually these thing you've mention have been address by the following project, as mention above by Piotyr;
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27890.0
It's kinda the spiritual successor to Zhade's work and is great fun. Check it out!

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 01, 2019, 03:19:22 am »
Thank you.