News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 80661 times)

kethinov

• View Profile
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2017, 07:05:00 pm »
Sorry, I get back to you right away. Here is the link to that version; https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfv0wzfn2qdx13r/SOM-NewGameplayImprovementV007.7z?dl=0 The password to the file is " somisdabomb ", without the quotes of course. I passworded it to keep Dropbox, or anyone/anything else from falsely flagging it. As a general rule do scan with your preferred AntiVirus/AntiMalware, not that there's anything there.

You've been using the wrong utility. It does come with it's own, and it's easy to use! Enjoy!

Note to Zhade, sent you a private message. Let me know if that's a thing.

Ah that was it... 0.10.ips and 0.07.zps with the custom patching tool are totally different things following two different version counts. I get it now. That custom patch selector is awesome!

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere yet but I found a couple bugs in 0.07.zps with the custom patching tool (tested in SNES9x 1.53):

Manual Block: Crashes a lot.

Faster Enemies: Enemy walking is isn't always smooth. For example, Rabite look great, but Mushbooms walking looks janky, as do Lullabuds.

Edit:

Also the moderators here just approved my very first ROM hack, a hack to SoM that rebalances the drop table: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3732/

I have successfully tested it in combination with this hack. They are compatible. :) My work on the drop table hack pales in comparison to the amazing things the rest of you have done, but I'd like to think this is a hack that adds value. In fact I tested my drop table hack in combination with several others, including the variable width font hack, propercase hack, item9 hack, and both variants of zhade's gameplay improvement hack (the 0.10 ips and the 0.07 zps). When applied in the correct order, they all work well together. :D

A poster earlier in this thread had suggested making it possible for a chest to give you a lesser item if you are already maxed out on the main prize. I think my drop table hack solves that problem indirectly because it increases the odds that you will get useful consumables from every monster. Now it won't feel like so much of a waste if you get an item you're already maxed out on because nearly all commonly used items (healing items and faerie walnuts in particular) are easily restocked from monster chests now. This will decrease your inhibitions to use them and your frustration that you could've used one just prior to opening the chest in order to get a freebie. (Especially if you apply the item9 hack too.) I spent many, many months playtesting the drop table changes and slowly refining them to make sure that even with repeated playthroughs and a lot of random chance thrown in it still feels well balanced, or at least better balanced than the original.

One point to note about it though is by itself my hack will decrease the difficulty of the game slightly, which may not be your cup of tea if you're looking for increased difficulty mods. But my emphasis wasn't on difficulty so much as natural progression. My focus was minimizing occasions where monsters drop obsolete equipment and reducing how often you have to do grinding. But if you're looking for increased difficulty, you could always apply zhade's "hard mode" hack from this thread on top of my drop table rebalance since they are compatible. I think they work well together.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:21:43 pm by kethinov »