News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 80152 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:23 am »
Would it be possible to restore the "pause while casting a spell" when using the menu to cast one? We beat the fire gigas (sp?) yesterday and coupled with the long charge time for spells it was a huge difficulty spike in the game because trying to spell target him (and your chars with healing) with all the spells he throws himself is really stressful in multiplayer. I'd still say 5 secs is more than enough for the charge (sorry if this was changed in a later version).

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 06:03:53 am »
I did a bit of testing today, played up to upperland, the fire gigas was not very hard really. I had purchased the best equipement, had 4 candies,choco and cup of whises and 1 walnut and just used freeze level 0 every time I could and the boss was dead before I needed to use my walnut. Remember that when you target your spells the target always starts on the boy so pressing left on the D-pad will target the first enemy so when against a boss it can be done very quickly since there is only 1 enemy to target. This part of the game always have been one of the hardest imo, the witch castle, and the underground palace, after that everything is pretty easy until you get to pureland. The recharge time seemed ok, the wall face boss was harder tho, I had to be more strategic and let one of the eyes live or else it pushed me in the spikes before I had the time to kill it.

EDIT: I fixed a bug where using weak attacks with ranged weapons didnt recharge faster and im now working on showing the MP under the status box.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 06:52:42 am by zhade »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 07:13:03 am »
Oh, didn't realize that about the targeting mechanics. I guess that's alright then, though he's still hard if you weren't prepared with healing items to block his spells and if you use ice saber in the battle then you won't have time to use heal so he'll kill at least one char, esp. without the "hit all" ability for spells.

I also dislike how the long charge time slows down spell levelling. With shorter spell charge and kept auto-block, then it's pretty much perfect I think. Could be an alt easy mode patch I guess.

Edit: We ran into a more serious problem today at the facewall boss (0.3), it seems the .srm file got corrupted because I can't boot the game in snes9x anymore. It reezes at the Square screen, or when you die and it's supposed to reset.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:25:00 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 08:03:55 pm »
About the MP display; I was thinking that it would look better if the MP were directly under the HP instead of them being separated by the charge meter.
Also, is it possible to display current and max MP instead of having it labeled?

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2015, 07:28:27 am »
PresidentLeever:
I could restore the auto-blocking and reduce the time to 5seconds for the easy version,I would put them back for the hard version which would also include enemy stats-changes. The bug you encountered seems pretty serious :o in which version whas it ? and could you send me your .srm file so that I can investiagte ?

Vanya:
I think having it under the charge-box would look better because it would not really take more screen space, and since the boy has no MP it would always have a 0/0 under his HP or an empty space or his HP would be on a diffenrent height than the others. It would not be very hard to change from having it appear on the bottom or or under the HP (other than some slight gfx modifications) so ill try different things once I get it to work. Ive currently done new gfx for the numbers so that they merge with the bar a bit. The HP numbers' bottom 2 pixels are merged with the top of the box, im doing the same for the top 2 pixels of the numbers and "MP" that would appear on the bottom of the box. There is enough space to put :"MP 99/99" so there is no need to remove the max MP. It would also be possible to lower the face box and put the HP directly on top of it and the MP at the end on the same line which would look like : "486/486 99", the max MP would not be shown it this case tho and it would be a bit tricky to have the numbers over the face box because of the way the numbers normally have to charge-box frame in them.

EDIT: i've finaly been able to use my custom gfx in-game, it still doesnt show the real MP but heres some screens of different arangements i've tried so far (dont mind the 0 on the sprites face):

I think 2 , 4 and 6 are the best looking ones and my favorite is 2.
- 2 doesnt show the max MP but its not really needed because there is only 1 MP regenerating item and you will most likely only use it when you dont have enough mana to cast a spell regardless of the max MP, and it takes saves some space.
- 1 has the "/" sign aligned with the "/" sign of the HP but has some unused space at the right end so I prefer 4 which is centered.
- 5 and 6 are the ones which take the least screen space but they look a bit odd, especially 5...
- 7,8 and 9 would require different graphics so that there is no bar between the numbers, all 3 look kind of weird because the max HP is 3 digits long and the max mp is 2 so there is no way to align them properly. The boy would also either have a 0/0 always there or his HP would float above an empty space or it wont be aligned with the other characters HP
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:37:57 pm by zhade »

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2015, 03:20:47 pm »
Do not put it at the very edge of any side.  Those sides, if I recall correctly, get cut off on TV so you wouldn't be able to see it.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2015, 03:36:44 pm »
Justin has a point, which is why you almost never see windows or borders on the edge of the screen in old games.

As odd as it may look, I kinda like 5. Is it possible to make a version of 2 where the MP sits on top of the HP instead of below it? That might look better and it wouldn't be cut off.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:42:20 pm by TheZunar123 »
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2015, 03:44:07 pm »
Do not put it at the very edge of any side.  Those sides, if I recall correctly, get cut off on TV so you wouldn't be able to see it.
Maybe if you are using composite. I use SCART RGB through the XRGB-Mini and nothing gets cut off; it looks just as his screenshots do.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2015, 04:17:07 pm »
It varies person to person and who does what.  For most things it'd be fine, but for authenticity it'd be a very bad thing.

If the game was forced to keep the charge bars... I like nine the most though might need some tweaking.  Not too sure.  Otherwise, maybe go a SOM2 route and have the characters icons be spread out in the corners?  It's really hard to get it to look just right.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2015, 06:32:22 pm »
Ive looked at some tv screenshots and some seem to have the lower edge cut-off a bit indeed...
I cant really shrink the charge bar in height because it needs all 8 pixels to show when you charge level 8 charges.. it could be shrinked in width a bit tho.
here is some more:

Ive made a new "MP" gfx so that it looks good without having to put a space before the numbers.
13 is my attempt at making it look like in som2 and and think its the best one I have come up with so far.

EDIT:
I also had an idea today while continuing my play-throught. Ive noticed that the equipements are kind of pointless as they are, when you get to a new town you almost always have enough money to buy the best equipments for all characters so I thought it would be more interesting to have something like in the seiken desentsu 3 hard-type hack where equipements also boost some stats. For example the bandana could give you more power and the headgear (2nd boy head equipment) would give only defense so you could choose to keep the bandana for the extra power. That would give a reason to keep old equiments like before fighting a boss you could choose to equip equipments which boost Magic defense even tho they have lower physical defense, you could choose to use a lower defense equipement on the sprite for added intelligence resulting in more spell power. That would give you small customization options on your characters stats and make the whole equiment thing more interesting than just buying the best equipements for each characters every time you arrive at a new town.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:59:57 pm by zhade »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2015, 06:53:45 pm »
13 looks the best to me by far.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2015, 06:58:47 pm »
I somewhat prefer 11, a bit less cramped, but could go either way (11 or 13).

I like the equipment idea!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:15:11 pm by PresidentLeever »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2015, 07:04:11 pm »
11's not bad but I think 13 looks the cleanest and the most well organized.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2015, 07:18:38 pm »
I agree with 13 looking the best. Equipment idea also sounds great.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2015, 09:53:03 pm »
13 would look better if you removed the colon between the MP tile and the MP number. :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2015, 09:59:36 pm »
13 would look better if you removed the colon between the MP tile and the MP number. :)

And if you do that, move the MP over rather than moving the numbers or leaving a gap*.

EDIT: *between the numbers and the MP, not the MP and the pic window. I think the latter would look fine, the former might look awkward..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:12:11 pm by SunGodPortal »

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2015, 10:37:53 pm »
Actually the colon is in the same tile as the "P" so I cant move the numbers over the colon, but I can move the "MP" a bit closer so that the gap is smaller, there was a missing tile in the 13 actually, the box has to be 1 tile larger, hope you still like it :P :

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2015, 10:39:59 pm »
Still looks great to me. I'll have to try this out when you get done.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2015, 11:06:53 pm »
Looks pretty good to me.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2015, 06:36:15 am »
I pretty much concur with everyone elses opinion---13 definitely looks the best.  Only thing I don't like about it is the charge counter being on the left side of the portrait rather than the left.

That's probably just due to my visual OCD though.  All the customizing looks great!