News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania 3 - Linear Version  (Read 2050 times)

Turambar

• View Profile
Castlevania 3 - Linear Version
« on: November 08, 2018, 06:42:21 pm »
I made a hack that links all of the levels together in a linear fashion.
Patches for USA and JPN versions available.
Post your comments and bug reports.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnp4ojaflpjc5tm/CV3-LV.zip?dl=0

Sephirous

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania 3 - Linear Version
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:42:03 pm »
OMG YES!

To actually be able to play the entire game without having to go back multiple times to get the stages that are hidden etc.

If I am dreaming pinch me!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:59:48 pm »
Will definitely be referencing your name in my CV3 projects.  Tons of work just cut off right here :P
Castlevania ROM Center on Discord
https://discord.gg/eXDzAyg

Discord: Sinis#4332

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:18:33 pm »
Cool, can it be combined with the control hack?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 12:58:33 pm »
Cool, can it be combined with the control hack?

Yes it can my man! I just tested it and it works. Just make sure to patch it over this game and you're good to go.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 01:02:55 pm »
One thing I didn't see mentioned about this hack.
How does this handle multiple characters?
If you are going from one stage straight into the other, you are going to bump into all 3 other characters (Alucard, Sypha and Grant).
Are you able to keep all 3 once you find them, or are they going to be replaced with whoever you bump into next?

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 01:04:13 pm »
You can't keep all three, you have to trade.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 10:33:01 am »
One thing I didn't see mentioned about this hack.
How does this handle multiple characters?
If you are going from one stage straight into the other, you are going to bump into all 3 other characters (Alucard, Sypha and Grant).
Are you able to keep all 3 once you find them, or are they going to be replaced with whoever you bump into next?

Just like it works on the real game. You have to trade.

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 05:02:56 pm »
Not long after I uploaded this patch, I noticed that one of the tiles got messed up somehow. I updated the patch.

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 07:46:52 pm »
I beat this again this morning and it was pretty good the work you did. I think to me the game should've been this way instead of what Konami did back in the day. I used the Japanese patch and that was because the emulator I used gets good sound with the VRC6 chip being emulated and all and it was nice to hear Evergreen again at the end of the game. I decided to give this a go again after watching the second season of the Castlevania anime again.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 09:35:50 pm »
This sounds so cool but I am presently unable to give it a full run through right now, but what is the level layout then? I presumed Sypha's and Alucard's paths both happen at the same "time" in the game.

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 09:45:45 pm »
This sounds so cool but I am presently unable to give it a full run through right now, but what is the level layout then? I presumed Sypha's and Alucard's paths both happen at the same "time" in the game.
It's Sypha's path and then Alucard's path. I don't have it constantly jump between the two paths because that would feel too unnatural, like they are teleporting around, and because people are used to the levels being in a certain order.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 10:10:36 pm »
At first I was thinking something similar.

That some of the stages seemed out of place like going from the courtyard to the marshes. But then I realized if the stages are placed closer together it would cause the character meets to happen to close together not giving the player a lot of time with the newly met character if chosen.
Sure you can deny a character but it runs more smooth with changing as met.

I'm sure the creator will do an excellent job no matter what he chooses. I still think this patch is excellent and until now Castlevania 3 has become a game I might just play more than once in a row just to enjoy the stages that I used to shun from because it would cause me to miss other stages I like.

I hope other Castlevania's get this treatment some day, Such as Dracula X Snes and Rondo Of Blood. The more stages the better!  :thumbsup:
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 11:57:31 pm »
Yeah, I didn't want character changes to happen too close together. Rondo of Blood is in my top 3 of classic style Castlevanias and I would like to see the levels put together in a linear fashion in that game as well. A problem with Rondo of Blood is that there is a CD involved and that is always problematic due to both the size of the file and the different disc image formats, bins, imgs, isos and things. That makes it a pain to create a patch for because the data is probably different every time. Then there are different language patches to deal with which might move data around. I still want to do some things with this CV3 hack first, so I'll worry about Rondo of Blood later.

SamIAm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 05:25:13 am »
Just piping up to say that while I am looking forward to giving linear CV3 shot, I would absolutely LOVE a linear Rondo of Blood. Not only would it be great to play all of the levels in one go, but one thing that always bugged me about the original's design is that it's impossible to rescue all four girls in a single pass of the game.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 01:04:46 am »
I'm probably going to be nearly the only one that will want this but, The SNES Version of Dracula X could use a Non Linear as well. It might be easier considering that version is not on a disc.

I guess the rest of the games are fairly linear aside from the Metroidvania games.

Also when you go for the perfect ending you never get to see the alternate stages. The water stage gets boring after awhile when you save Annette and on top of that you never get to fight the cloaked guy. I think I fought him maybe twice in my lifetime.

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 06:19:29 am »
I'm probably going to be nearly the only one that will want this but, The SNES Version of Dracula X could use a Non Linear as well. It might be easier considering that version is not on a disc.

I guess the rest of the games are fairly linear aside from the Metroidvania games.

Also when you go for the perfect ending you never get to see the alternate stages. The water stage gets boring after awhile when you save Annette and on top of that you never get to fight the cloaked guy. I think I fought him maybe twice in my lifetime.

Actually, you are not the only one, I like the game a lot and I hope a linear version will come to day for that game someday, somehow

If you want, there is a select stage option if you can use game genie codes (check on websites such as gamehacking.org or the cutting room floor)

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 07:22:35 pm »
I have one more thought just in case.

One other thing I noticed while playing this patch is that you go inside the castle and then all of a sudden your back outside way across the map.
I know this is because the Alucard Quest starts and doesn't match where the Sypha one ends.

Just wanted to note that in case anyone missed it. Still fun to play!  :thumbsup:

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 09:10:25 pm »
I thought that some of the animations in the game were too slow, so I made them faster!
This is especially needed since the game is longer now.
I think you guys will enjoy these changes.
I updated the download link.

I also changed Grant's palette.
Normally, in certain cutscenes, such as the one after defeating Grant,
Grant's palette has his skin color be pink, whereas his skin during gameplay is yellow.
I think pink suits him better. What do you think?

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 09:12:21 pm »
Hmmm interesting.