News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Digimon: Tag Tamers translation (WS)  (Read 867 times)

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Digimon: Tag Tamers translation (WS)
« on: August 17, 2018, 09:43:26 am »
Hey everyone! This is a project I've been working on and off for a *very* long time. It's basically tracked my improvement as a programmer - from knowing nothing, to now knowing slightly more than nothing. Now that I've strategically applied duct tape to an old editor I built entirely out of duct tape, I can once again work on this translation without corrupting the entire file!

This post is mostly to force me to finish the game this time, but I'm hoping for some useful feedback too if anyone can spare some.

What's been done so far?
-Storyline and Post-Game cutscenes
(Script provided to me long ago for this part, mostly)
-Digimon names
-Items and descriptions
-Attacks and descriptions
-Menus
-Battle and System text
-Dungeon and Village NPCs
-Graphic Compression/Decompression algorithm
-Credits
-DigiCode hints
-WonderWave instructions

What's left to do?
-Credits
-DigiCode hints*
-House A & B dialogue, the last of the NPCs: 3%
-Shop dialogue: 72%
(Mostly the link cable arenas and commentary on Digimon fusion/Jogress)
-Compressed Graphics: 85%
(Just the title screen, which admittedly is a doozy)
-Digimon Bios: 10%
-WonderWave and link cable specific text

*Translated but not yet put into the game

How can I help?
Aww, thanks for asking!

1. Critique my in-progress title screen!

--Putting this into the game's going to be a real pain, so I want to make it look right before going through the hassle. I'm not an artist (as anyone who read the Megaman & Bass thread saw), so the English logo is traced from a larger source.

2. Recommend a good beginners tutorial on debuggers and breakpoints!
--There's a few issues with formatting that I need to fix, and I don't know where to look in the file. I've heard Mednafen has a good WonderSwan debugger, so I'm hoping I can learn how to use it to solve the problems. If you're curious...

Spoiler:
This picture highlights the two biggest issues.

I need to move Digimon names further to the left to fit on-screen (since the longest one is now 16 characters as opposed to 10 in the JPN version). Also, it looks like the data storage is hard-coded to start at certain points, so it overwrites the longer English works. E.g. The start of the HP data is overwriting the last part of "Vacc.", and "Mega" is overwriting the last part of "Magnadramon". Different status screens have different text cut-off points, so I assume there's a definition somewhere in the ROM that I could hex edit to shift the write points over.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 07:34:52 am by USC »

NH579

• View Profile
Re: Digimon: Tag Tamers translation (WS)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:01:01 pm »
I'm so excited someone is actually translating this!

As for feedback, is there any chance you would be willing to use the Japanese character names instead of the ones from the English anime dubs.
Some of those names are themselves bad translations Saban did back in the 90s and some like Magnadramon (instead of Holydramon) are censored.
It's a small thing, but it's always really bugged me.

Good luck with the project regardless!

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:23:20 pm »
@NH579: I knew this question was coming. :) Short Answer: Dub translation will come out first, then original names maybe.
(I use to have a separate file with JPN names and altered dialogue to fit the 18 character line limits (E.g. Taichi is longer than Tai), but it got corrupted and I don't have a recent back-up of it. Once I've released the dub version, I'll try to go back and make an edit with the original names.)

As for current progress, I've started working on the Digimon Bios and the last of the NPC dialogues in House A and House B:

There are 229 Digimon in-game and I've done... 4 bios so far? This'll take a bit.

Lazermutt4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 02:31:02 pm »
The logo could use some work. I think I found a better logo to trace here:
https://fanart.tv/series/72241/digimon-digital-monsters/
(First entry, second row, the one that says "Digimon Adventure 02", just click "Download", no account needed)

I also made a mockup to expand the shield frame in the logo which should help fit the English text in better.

Feel free to use it or not :)

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 11:49:08 pm »
@Lazermutt4: Wow, that's an exact fit for the Japanese title screen - thanks! I'll reach out to the original artist to see if it's cool to use it, but it looks great. Now to start tracing...

Oh, and here's the first screen from the credits that I've starting adding in:

Not the most exciting screenshot, but it actually causes a fun glitch. I'm debating solving it the proper way versus the cop-out way - we'll see which one wins out. :)
Explanation:
Spoiler:
The game has a "DigiCode" font that correlates with the cut-scene font (so the hiragana 'a' matches the Digicode 'a', and so forth). There's a built in English font, but its hex values are larger than the DigiCode font's limit, so it produces garbage output. The credits start as DigiCode and then fades to English, so the first few seconds of the credits display static. The proper way to fix it would be to change the offset so it maps to the English font... OR I could just overwrite the hiragana with English and have the credit font point to that instead of the standard font.