News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: Masterpiece Edition [NES] Improvement Mod | ~95% done, looking for help  (Read 5833 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
I can't help but remark that every single Zelda 1 hacks made in the last few years have some sort of graphics that resemble Link's Awakening's graphics. If graphics are to be modified, it will always look like Link's Awakening. Nothing original. It seems to be a solid trend.
Have to agree here.
Link's Awakening graphics are okay and all, but I don't know why they kind of seem out of place for me for Zelda I.
I kinda like the overly simplistic graphics of the original, with no outlines, and the new graphics really clash with the incredibly square-ish assets of the game. They just seem to end out of nowhere, and it doesn't match the style of Awakening, it feels normal with the simple graphics of the original.

The HUD for sure looks a lot better, it definitely needed a rework (and the text too), but the main game graphics seem okay, I would only change Link's sprite a bit to add his yellow outline in his hat ;D

I think my only suggestion to make this the ultimate Zelda I hack would be to add a diagonal slash like ALttP, or every other subsequent 2D Zelda (not Zelda II of course).
If someone managed to do that for Zelda I, damn that'd be hot.

dACE

• View Profile
I think my only suggestion to make this the ultimate Zelda I hack would be to add a diagonal slash like ALttP, or every other subsequent 2D Zelda (not Zelda II of course).
If someone managed to do that for Zelda I, damn that'd be hot.

Has been done in: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2136/

Of course you need some serious debugging to isolate that single feature - but It can be done.

/dACE

lexluthermiester

• View Profile

Of course you need some serious debugging to isolate that single feature - but It can be done.

/dACE
It's not the same as this though. Legend of Link is a top notch mod for sure. However, I prefer the LA/OOS/OOA look that this hack seems to have going for it.
https://youtu.be/8p1_5Cuy0Dg

I'm looking for help finishing it before I release it. There's very little left to fix. Know any programmers who might be interested in helping? I'd like to release it this year if possible.
If only I had the skills.. Personally, based on the Youtube video I think it's good as it is and ready for release. Then once you add the final refinements, you can add in an alternate patch or update.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:39:31 am by lexluthermiester »

dACE

• View Profile
It's not the same as this though.

Yeah - go ahead and code a perfect diagonal slash from scratch by all means...

... OR, if you don’t have wicked asm-skills, at least try to implement what is already coded and available.

/dACE

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
If it's any help, you can take a look at my disassemblies of Zelda 1. There is plenty of comments in there.

http://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda1/

The disassemblies are named "zelda1bank0.txt", up to "zelda1bank7.txt". There's also "zelda1rammap.txt" for descriptions of RAM addresses.

Concerning the cracks in the walls, there is a specific set of tile mappings for the bombable walls (both for Overworld and Dungeons), but they simply are set to the same values as normal walls. The entries do exist, so assuming you have the space necessary to store the new graphics, it will be easy to assign the new tiles. Check my docs for Bank 5 at $15FEE.

About the graphics. I'm not particularly fond of the Link's Awakening style, but I watched the gameplay, and the graphics are indeed very good. They look a lot less flat than the original, and many sprites have a better use of the [limited] colors available. Kudos to that.

One thing I'd like to see is to have a proper "X" sign beside the rupee, bombs and keys counters in the HUD. The original game uses the letter "X" and it looks weird. I think the graphics would allow for an extra tile, but some relocation of graphics data would be necessary.

If I have time, I could see if there's something we can do about the Magic Wand and Wizzrobes. Also, the problem with the 999 rupees. I would advise to consider letting this feature go if it becomes too troublesome. I think having a maximum 255 rupees is not that bad.

wolpak

• View Profile

/dACE

The arrows and item selection in that hack are amazing.  Too bad he remade the game instead of updating it.  I'd love to see that functionality in any "masterpiece Edition" hack.

KillerBob

• View Profile
One thing I'd like to see is to have a proper "X" sign beside the rupee, bombs and keys counters in the HUD. The original game uses the letter "X" and it looks weird. I think the graphics would allow for an extra tile, but some relocation of graphics data would be necessary.
Agree, the fat letter "X" always looked ugly in the HUD. I did a quick and dirty fix on my own hack some time ago by simply drawing yet another letter "X".

This was actually how it looked in early builds of the Japanese version of the game when it still used the "standard NES-font" for the alphabetic characters.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:28:09 am by KillerBob »

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Agree, the fat letter "X" always looked ugly in the HUD. I did a quick and dirty fix on my own hack some time ago by simply drawing yet another letter "X".

Looks better thinner but if you made the "X" a little smaller too it would make for a less crowded look.

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
This is looking tight, I really dig it! :D
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

azul120

• View Profile
Would diagonal movement be possible?