News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda - relocalized (help needed)  (Read 18180 times)

KillerBob

• View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda - relocalized (help needed)
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2016, 07:05:37 am »
Due to requests, I recently submitted my patch to the site despite its unfinished state. Life has been busy hence the delay, sorry and thanks for your interest. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2777/

I also received a request if I could reconsider my stance on the font and include a lowercase one. I'm not entirely against it but the minimal spacing between rows causes a problem in my mind due to the descenders of letters such as g, p, and so forth. Don't know if there's any good fonts that would be fitting?

On a side note, an extremely minor oddity I recently noticed, is the absence of the high pitched item get audio effect if you buy a key. Only the chime is heard. This is the case in all versions of the game as far as I know. I'm interested in all obscure audiovisual quirks I can find for potential fixes, any list of bugs out there?

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2016, 04:14:11 pm »
I just found this project/thread, but I've been working on something similar for quite a while! You seem to be farther ahead than I ever got, though, so I just thought I'd post this stuff:

I wrote this tutorial on Data Crystal back in 2013 (I think? It was my first year of college) based on what I learned while making this new story text. Feel free to recreate it if you want!

I also have this TXT file that I must have either written or found somewhere.
Code: [Select]
Pointer table is at 4010
The [END] control code can be different, depending on which part of the ROM the text is in.

The [END] control code is [80] --> Offset = Pointer + 4010
[4C][80] to 405C
[77][80] to 4087 << GUINEA PIG POINTER
[A1][80] to 40B1
[B9][80] to 40C9
[E3][80] to 40F3

The [END] control code is [81] --> Offset = Pointer + 4110
[05][81] to 4115
[2D][81] to 413D
[52][81] to 4162
[79][81] to 4189
[97][81] to 41A7
[AE][81] to 41BE
[D2][81] to 41E2
[F8][81] to 4208

The [END] control code is [82] --> Offset = Pointer + 4210
[2C][82] to 423C
[41][82] to 4251
[58][82] to 4268
[7D][82] to 428D
[94][82] to 42A4
[B8][82] to 42C8
[CD][82] to 42DD
[F5][82] to 4305

The [END] control code is [83] --> Offset = Pointer + 4310
[0D][83] to 431D
[4D][83] to 435D
[70][83] to 4380
[9C][83] to 43AC
[C6][83] to 43D6
[F0][83] to 4400

The [END] control code is [84] --> Offset = Pointer + 4410
[1C][84] to 442C
[3F][84] to 444F
[6D][84] to 447D
[90][84] to 44A0
[B8][84] to 44C8
[E3][84] to 44F3

The [END] control code is [85] --> Offset = Pointer + 4510
[0E][85] to 451E
[26][85] to 4536
[53][85] to 4563
[68][85] to 4578
[7E][85] to 458E

EDIT: Here's another screenshot. This is where I was in my last savestate, I was changing this guy's pointer to test out all of the strings.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:37:53 pm by vince94 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2016, 04:48:32 pm »
Why change the classic "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this."
It's as classic as the CVII one.  T-T

I'm mostly joking, I know it might have been poorly translated.

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 04:50:02 pm »
I wouldn't change such an iconic line! That screenshot was from further along in the game, where you can get a sword upgrade if you have a certain number of hearts.
I started a second file to see what I have him say:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:59:55 pm by vince94 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2016, 05:14:50 pm »
I wouldn't change such an iconic line! That screenshot was from further along in the game, where you can get a sword upgrade if you have a certain number of hearts.
I started a second file to see what I have him say:

I was joking. :p
Although, I didn't notice the different sword sprite.
Awesome job you guys are doing. :)

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2016, 05:34:55 pm »
I was joking. :p
Although, I didn't notice the different sword sprite.
It's all good! :)
Awesome job you guys are doing. :)
I'm not part of this project at all, but I just thought I'd post stuff from my old attempt to try and help. I got sidetracked and stopped working on it a while ago, heh.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:40:18 pm by vince94 »

manofstars

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2016, 11:57:42 pm »
One thing I'd suggest is adding "The Hyrule Fantasy" back to the title screen in some form, or at least a patch with that option, because I always thought that subtitle was kinda cool. I'd personally change it to "A Hyrule Fantasy" because I think that just sounds better but it's up to you.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 04:34:06 am »
One thing I'd suggest is adding "The Hyrule Fantasy" back to the title screen in some form, or at least a patch with that option, because I always thought that subtitle was kinda cool. I'd personally change it to "A Hyrule Fantasy" because I think that just sounds better but it's up to you.
Yeah, I agree. I was toying with the idea but ultimately abandoned it. I'll see what I can do.

What I always found interesting about it, was it the intended title of the series back in '86 rather than just a subtitle? Its placement in the logo definitely support the idea of it being a name for the series. The teaser in the 2nd Quest ending show they had a possible sequel already in mind. However, eleven months later the sequel established the series name as "The legend of Zelda" before any localization of the games had taken place. That is probably also the reason "The Hyrule Fantasy" was dropped when it was time for localization. EDIT: Well, I'm talking out of my ass, the teaser clearly says "Legend of Zelda 1" not "Hyrule Fantasy 1". *facepalm* I really should get some sleep.  :laugh:

March 27, 2016, 06:21:19 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just found this project/thread, but I've been working on something similar for quite a while!

EDIT: Here's another screenshot. This is where I was in my last savestate, I was changing this guy's pointer to test out all of the strings.

Nice, I take it you didn't like my rewrites? I'm not that happy with some of them either so any suggestions are welcome.

My revision:

I think mine is an improvement but I'm not satisfied with it. Trying to look at it objectively, things my text doesn't get across is the setting (Hyrule), and who captured the princess? Although the latter is easily assumed. Its duration on the screen and the color coding dictated my choices. I imagined the objective of the game at the end being the words of Impa.

Why not use Nintendo's revision?

Nintendo's own revision have two ugly cases of double spacing to avoid coloring the comma after Ganon and the period after Zelda. While the color coding in the original put emphasis on the characters, the Triforces and the objective of the game, the revision changes the color coding to put emphasis on just the characters. In 2003, Green in the Zelda games represented Courage, Blue - Wisdom and Red - Power. Finally, the objective of the game is now part of the story, which sort of makes it seem like Zelda was imprisoned a long time ago when Link start his journey.

As for the sword fella, I like your rewrite.

I wouldn't change such an iconic line!
The whole game is iconic, why change anything in it?  :happy:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:58:11 pm by KillerBob »

manofstars

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2016, 06:30:49 pm »
I think using Nintendo's version of the altered text would work best personally. Ganon has been referred to as a Prince of Darkness in multiple games to my knowledge, so it'd be best to keep that in.

EDIT: Also wanted to say that I was playing the hack and I found a typo: The old man on the top right says "Show this to the old women." instead of "Show this to the old woman." I'm not sure if this was intentional; I'm PRETTY sure there's only one old woman in the game but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 07:06:14 pm by manofstars »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2016, 11:47:02 pm »
There are multiple old women in the game. They run the potion shops and the "pay me and I'll talk" rooms.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2016, 05:02:21 am »
I think using Nintendo's version of the altered text would work best personally. Ganon has been referred to as a Prince of Darkness in multiple games to my knowledge, so it'd be best to keep that in.
Well, like I said, I'm not that fond of Nintendo's rewrite but I'm also aware of the shortcomings in my rewrite so I would love to see someone come up with something better as I'm not happy with it. And by that I don't mean hacking, a simple mockup will do. vince94's version reads much better than mine but it's too talky for my taste, and changes the color coding and font. Tomato's translation of the manual story for reference: http://legendsoflocalization.com/the-legend-of-zelda/manuals/

As far as I know, Ganon is only known as the "Prince of Darkness" in the original NES game, but I admit I'm mostly familiar with the classic games in the series so I could be wrong.

Zelda I manual: 大魔王 "Great Demon King", NoA translation - "Prince of Darkness"

English Zelda II manual: "King of Evil" (He's not referred to by title in the Japanese one)

Triforce of the Gods manual: 邪悪の王 "King of Evil"
                              In-game: 闇の魔王 "Demon King of Darkness", NoA Translation - "Evil King of Darkness"

The Dreaming Isle manual: 邪悪の王 "King of Evil"

Ocarina of Time: 大魔王 "Great Demon King", NoA Translation - "Great King of Evil"

Twilight Princess: 大魔王 "Great Demon King", NoA Translation - "Dark Lord"

At least for the early sequels, Nintendo of America consistently went with Evil King/King of Evil instead. I have no problem with calling him a Prince of Darkness, I think I came up with Dark Lord due to working within the space limitation. He's basically the satan of the Zelda universe and satan goes by many names, if not Dark Lord or Prince of Darkness, I could perhaps go with Evil King or Demon King?

Also wanted to say that I was playing the hack and I found a typo: The old man on the top right says "Show this to the old women." instead of "Show this to the old woman." I'm not sure if this was intentional; I'm PRETTY sure there's only one old woman in the game but I could be wrong.
Yes, it was intentional. Like Midna said, there are more than one old woman in the game.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:05:07 am by KillerBob »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2016, 08:54:47 am »
I think you should go with Demon King, it sounds cooler. Including it's what Nintendo of Japan has been calling him for years.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 04:31:27 pm »
Even Nintendo of America seems to have switched to calling Ganon a "demon king" in recent games, or at least in A Link Between Worlds.

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2016, 06:10:51 pm »
I'm not too fond of "Demon King," like, Ganon and his minions don't canonically come from hell or anything.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:57:07 pm by vince94 »

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2016, 05:47:45 am »
Even Nintendo of America seems to have switched to calling Ganon a "demon king" in recent games, or at least in A Link Between Worlds.
Interesting.

I checked Twilight Princess and the manual for Link's Awakening. I updated my previous post and made a correction on Ocarina of Time. Don't know how Wind Waker handles it.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2016, 08:33:11 am »
Here's what Ive got from my hack, though its less retranslation and more badly punching up what was already there.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| 2 Mello - after midnight: unaired broadcasts || https://youtu.be/FKqLCJ4mStI

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2016, 09:39:21 am »
How about something like this?

Long ago, Ganon, prince
of darkness, stole the
Triforce of Power.
Before Princess Zelda
was captured by Ganon's
minions, she split the
Triforce of Wisdom into
eight pieces and hid
them throughout Hyrule.
 "Link, find the pieces
    and save Zelda."

Ganon in red, Zelda in blue, Link in green. I really want this to read "throughout the land of Hyrule" instead, but ran out of space.

Also, I'm in the camp of keeping the iconic "Take this" line, if only because it looks a little squished on the third line introduced by the relocalization

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2016, 08:31:04 pm »
Ganon in red, Zelda in blue, Link in green. I really want this to read "throughout the land of Hyrule" instead, but ran out of space.

Maybe remove the "Ganon's minions"(since the minions are not that important to the into plot summary) and make "eight" as "8"?
Idk about the text length if it would fit tho.

Long ago, Ganon, prince
of darkness, stole the
Triforce of Power.
Before Zelda
was captured by
Ganon, she split the
Triforce of Wisdom into
8 pieces and hid
them throughout Hyrule.
"Link, find the pieces
and save Princess Zelda."

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2016, 03:36:31 am »
I'm not too fond of "Demon King," like, Ganon and his minions don't canonically come from hell or anything.

I feel pretty much the same here. The Japanese doesn't even necessarily explicitly make him a demon.

Warlock King?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2016, 04:57:45 am »
What about "Dark King" or "Gerudo King"?