News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda - relocalized (help needed)  (Read 17099 times)

w1ck3d

• View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda - relocalized (help needed)
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2016, 11:51:45 pm »
Or why Tatsuo Nishiyama (if it's really him) goes by the name I.Marui. There are several reasons why developers used pseudonyms back in the NES and SNES era, I think Nintendo or at least EAD began using their real names when they began work on Super Famicom. Altering the staff roll is outside the scope of my project but as some continue to ask for it I guess I can do a separate patch. It's easily done.

What I think may have happened is that "I.Marui" was actually meant to be written "MaruII", as in "Maru(x)II" (MaruMaru, get it?) but the programmer that entered his pseudonym screwed it up. Which likely happened because of a combination of bad handwriting and the fact that Japanese normally list their surname first, followed by their birth name and this game does the opposite. This would explain why there no one can find information about a "I.Marui" working for Nintendo, why even the Japanese wiki page has it only written in English and why it appears that more than one person is using the same pseudonym.

Getting back to your suggestions, I really like what you did. Your line for the sword guy is quite clever. The two lines of text I wanted to change even before upload was that one, and the one for the old guy hinting at its location. The latter is very wordy in the English version and its placement in the dungeon usually means you will see the hint twice in a very short amount of time (perhaps another way of the developers to say, you better upgrade your sword). Instead of "Did you get the sword from the old man on top of the waterfall?" would "Did you get the sword from the old man above the waterfall?" work or the less specific "Did you get the sword from the old man at the waterfall?" Actually, I think it's the only one from the original that I left alone.

Thank you. Look a bit of work to come up with something that wasn't too wordy. Tho I'm not entirely sure how well even that one will fit into the script.

BTW I threw in a little Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade for the old man with the red potion or heart container choice, if you did not notice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF2UrYSDb3k

As for the line about the old man above the waterfall, I couldn't come up with anything better either.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2016, 11:24:06 pm »
Interesting theory, you may be right about this. So I had a quick look at the staff roll, which one do you guys prefer?

The length of Nishiyama's name kinda break the original format.

I have also tried to figure out what exactly they did to come up with the nicer looking screen transitions in the Japanese re-release without any results. I might perhaps move my work to that ROM instead.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2016, 10:39:40 am »
I vote for Number 2

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2016, 12:30:09 pm »
I vote for the third image.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2016, 01:33:54 pm »
I vote for the third image. It feels more organized without the little dots.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2016, 01:47:23 pm »
I suspected that would be the choice. Thanks. I just wanted to be sure. I'll make a stand-alone patch of that then.

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2016, 08:20:12 pm »
Due to how much space Nishiyama takes up, I think the third one looks the best.