News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Does anyone know what game this is?  (Read 16799 times)

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
Re: Does anyone know what game this is?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 04:49:24 pm »
I will not aid an unprincipled company when I don't have to. If one has a lax attitude about everything, then everyone will take a mile when one gives them an inch.

One must put one's foot down at times.

Having a lax attitude about everything represents an extreme, which is not what I suggested. My message was: One must choose to fight the most important battles since time is such a limited resource that fighting them all is not a possibility.

Anyway, back on topic, even if you don't find the game you're after, I highly recommend Eye of the Beholder. Though I've only played the PC version, the SNES rendition looks very similar. In fact, this thread has brought the game back to mind, so when I find the time to, I'm going to revisit it.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 04:55:05 pm »
It's dumb that they force the world to sign up for their utterly useless social network,

.... They don't....  They make you sign up for Google to use a Google service.  It makes all the sense in the world.

Google+ is Google.  It's not just the social media site, it's all of Google.  You sign up for Google+ and it is your account for YouTube, Gmail, Google Drive, Chrome integration, Google Maps integration, the social media site, and quite literally every other service Google has to offer.  It's all umbrella'd under the same account.

It doesn't make any sense to maintain multiple user accounts for the same thing within the same company.  Why would/should they make you get separate accounts for YouTube and gmail when it's the same company running it?  Merging them into one account makes perfect sense and is in every way better for all parties involved.

EDIT:  I misread -- you said its "not" a good enough reason.  So yes we agree.

I will not aid an unprincipled company when I don't have to.

I still can't fathom how you think Google is "unprincipled".  They are by every measurable metric the most responsible and ethical mega corporation in the world right now -- and possibly in history.

In fact if there's any company you should go out of your way to support because of their good business practices -- it's Google.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 05:03:38 pm »
Having a lax attitude about everything represents an extreme, which is not what I suggested. My message was: One must choose to fight the most important battles since time is such a limited resource that fighting them all is not a possibility.

True enough.

Anyway, back on topic, even if you don't find the game you're after, I highly recommend Eye of the Beholder. Though I've only played the PC version, the SNES rendition looks very similar. In fact, this thread has brought the game back to mind, so when I find the time to, I'm going to revisit it.

I will do so.

In fact, I will look further into all of the games suggested in this thread, because if I can't find the game that I am looking for, I'd at least like to play a game similar enough to it.

Over the years it has become easier to describe the game that I remember because I have played more games that I can now compare parts of it to. For instance, I had never played any of the games that I compared it to in my original post back then.

No Doom, no Might & Magic, none of that.

I can now make comparisons to parts of those games because I have played them nowadays.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 07:11:41 pm »
This site has a very very great database of EVERY SINGLE SNES & SFC game ever released! http://mercenaryforce.web.fc2.com/superfamicom/snes/RPG.html

EDIT: could "Obitus" be the game your looking for? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Z3ShxvJpY

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 07:57:41 pm »
This site has a very very great database of EVERY SINGLE SNES & SFC game ever released! http://mercenaryforce.web.fc2.com/superfamicom/snes/RPG.html

EDIT: could "Obitus" be the game your looking for? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Z3ShxvJpY

Looking at it, Obitus has roughly the same method of scrolling as the game that I remember. It also has a similar vibe.

Those are the only similarities, though.

UPDATE: The game itself played similarly to Might & Magic III's snes port, but not exactly so.

Thinking about it now, the game was almost like a Might & Magic clone of sorts that played slightly differently.

To describe it best, the game that I remember was like a mixture between Might & Magic III and Eye of the Beholder, with a character selection screen very similar to that of Heroes of Might & Magic.

Basically, if one took Might & Magic III's engine, applied some of the things that Eye of the Beholder had in common with what my description said, then put in a bigger version of the character select screen from Heroes of Might & Magic, it would be golden!

Superficially, the game is Eye of the Beholder, but visually, it looks more like Might & Magic III, save the death faces and game over screen (although the game over screen does not have the skulls on it, so it is not perfect either for the description).

Some things just aren't adding up.

I can only return to my hypothesis of this being some strange obscure homebrew.

EDIT:

35:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9wz2p3ghQ

As a mock-up of sorts, this is a LOT like the game that I remember.

EDIT2:

Not as much as the previous, but this also looks similar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9wz2p3ghQ
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:15:57 pm by Tharthan »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 11:40:11 pm »
Wait - did you just post two links to YouTube videos?
 >:D
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 10:38:05 am »
Wait - did you just post two links to YouTube videos?
 >:D

Other people were posting links to YouTube videos.

I don't actively browse YouTube, and I have most of the cookies from the site blocked, but if I have to I will watch links.

I don't like to, but since other video sharing sites don't have the same video quantity, it's hard to link anywhere else.

Quick Curly

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 11:24:31 am »
EDIT:

35:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9wz2p3ghQ

As a mock-up of sorts, this is a LOT like the game that I remember.

EDIT2:

Not as much as the previous, but this also looks similar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9wz2p3ghQ
I don't know if this might have been what chillyfeez could have meant in a way as well, but the 2 links appear to be to the same video.

Sorry. Didn't mean to just randomly jump in like this, though I do personally enjoy keeping up on threads like this where there's a mystery game from one's childhood. I hope that you're able to find out what it was. :)

EDIT: Just to add to confirm, as I probably should have established this from the start, but since I'm not as familiar with SNES games as I am NES games, I can't add much more to the search for the actual mystery game, and I do feel bad and am sorry about that. I truly wish that I could contribute to this thread, and I didn't mean for my post to come across like I was just trying to point out something that might have been missed. I only was hoping that the other video that you intended to link to wouldn't be lost or forgotten if there are others who could view them and potentially come up with some new ideas to suggest.
Again, I apologize for any inconvenience, and I hope that the mystery game is figured out. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:59:06 pm by Quick Curly »

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2015, 03:05:41 pm »
Could you tell us what you remember the game displayed as intro? 'Cause that usually helps a lot.
Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=199&v=9qsXDYO1nJE
It's hard not to remember the Silmarils logo there.

I assume you looked at not just the first Eye of the Beholder, but also its sequels?

You should look at compilation videos too.
Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQiimhYI-8c
(Rick Dangerous, Xenon2, Stunt Car Racer, IK+... man, the nostalgia!!)

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 03:45:49 pm »
Sorry. Didn't mean to just randomly jump in like this, though I do personally enjoy keeping up on threads like this where there's a mystery game from one's childhood. I hope that you're able to find out what it was. :)

Thanks!

But I have already forgotten what the other video was, unfortunately. :(

Could you tell us what you remember the game displayed as intro? 'Cause that usually helps a lot.

Sorry, no can do.

I have no memory of the title screen nor the intro.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2015, 10:28:01 pm »
I can only return to my hypothesis of this being some strange obscure homebrew.
SNES development was so enormously labor-intensive at that time (heck, it still is) that it is vastly unlikely any homebrew that might fall into your hands would have been "obscure".
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2015, 11:28:09 pm »

"Sir. Such a product does not exist. I am afraid you may have dreamed it."

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 05:14:19 pm »
I stickied this thread as a general "Remember that game thread". So, if you have a game you remember but can't think of the name, ask away.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 05:27:47 pm »
I stickied this thread as a general "Remember that game thread". So, if you have a game you remember but can't think of the name, ask away.

Good idea.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 05:57:03 pm »

"Sir. Such a product does not exist. I am afraid you may have dreamed it."

I and about twelve other people?

I think not.

I guess I am no closer to finding it than I was before...

Whatever.

I hope I'll find it someday.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 06:39:57 pm »
That makes me think I do have a game from when I was a kid and never retrieved.
It was on computer, at the same period as Snood and Lemmings, and it was kinda looking like "The incredible machine". The purpose was to place several pieces so that a cannonball would travel to the goal. Most of the time, pieces only made a 90° turn to the cannonball but some had more special effects.

Any thoughts?
Quote from: Unmon
This staff of mine has transformed itself into a dragon and has swallowed up the universe! Oh, where are the rivers and mountains and the great earth?

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2015, 03:20:07 am »
I hope someone can recognize this game. I recall a Super Famicom (or was it a PSX) game, its some sort of a strategy ala Ogre/FF Tactics where there's a Chun-Li look-a-like character and other female cast, and they have some sort of Jojo Stands with each of them.  :-\

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2015, 03:39:50 am »
Street Fighter Tactics ?

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2015, 03:33:10 pm »
I hope someone can recognize this game. I recall a Super Famicom (or was it a PSX) game, its some sort of a strategy ala Ogre/FF Tactics where there's a Chun-Li look-a-like character and other female cast, and they have some sort of Jojo Stands with each of them.  :-\

Not Namco x Capcom?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2015, 05:21:24 pm »
I remember a game I used to play on my Commodore 64/128. I think I recall it being a cassette game but I could be wrong. It had fish that had chattering teeth that was so distinct that I can remember the sound effect vividly. If someone could recall this game...