News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Does anyone know what game this is?  (Read 100224 times)

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone know what game this is?
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2019, 10:20:04 am »
A dungeon-themed platformer on the original PlayStation. I think you could choose between first person and third person view. In the final confrontation, the boss runs at you, but attacking him directly causes no damage. You have to throw stars (or some projectile spell) at a few towers to kill him. Anti-climactic. Control was clunky, graphics were not great, and the game was a piece of crap. But I played it with a dear departed family member and want to play it again for sentimental reasons. I have scoured image search and someone's list of 240 dungeon-y games on the PS1, to no avail. It is obscure for good reason, but I would love to find it.

EDIT: Found it, thanks to this video compiling all PS1 games released in USA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69v7vV2m74 Good ol' double speed and fast forward keys to the rescue for such a long video.

Crusaders of Might and Magic! A piece of junk which should be played by no one, which I am now happy to play.  :P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:28:51 pm by PolishedTurd »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2019, 06:30:35 pm »
I'm looking for an old Flash game.  It sort of worked like pipeworks except it had fireworks.  It also had a "Chinese New Year" theme, kinda like the Fireworks Factory of Spyro: Year of the Dragon but in 2D and with a completely different art style.

Oh, another thing.  It was one of those flash games that also advertised a paid version.  Wonder if the devs are even still around?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:33:45 pm by Chronosplit »

#

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2019, 06:50:31 pm »
I'm looking for an old Flash game.  It sort of worked like pipeworks except it had fireworks.  It also had a "Dhinese New Year" ttheme, kinda like the Fireworks Factory of Spyro: Year of the Dragon but in 2D and with a completely different art style.

Oh, another thing.  It was one of those flash games that also advertised a paid version.  Wonder if the devs are even still around?
This should be it:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3440/Rocket_Mania_Deluxe/

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2019, 11:39:15 pm »
This should be it:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3440/Rocket_Mania_Deluxe/
I think that's it!  And I had forgotten that it's an older PopCap game.

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2019, 12:03:16 am »
so there's this game that I saw on a console that I don't remember, on display in something like a Circuit City back in the mid-1990's.  It was a first-person dungeon crawler of some kind, you had to go around a labyrinth where the walls were made of some sort of blue crystal that looked something like this:

In an early level -- maybe the first one -- you had to collect 6 crystals that were scattered around the maze, then an exit would open up.  After you found and went through the exit you would go to the next level, where you had to collect 7 crystals......

This is all the information about this game that I've got, and it's been on my mind for a pretty long time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:33:00 am by Sam Atoms »

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2019, 12:53:05 pm »
trying to remember this one pc edutainment title where like there were balls you had to shoot but like it was physicsy and the balls could be made of different materials
I think it was DOS or early pc, if that helps. Was thinking about this today.

dawson120

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2019, 05:15:37 am »
I haven't play it, but I've played its 'father' Factory Fun and like it quite a lot. Good puzzle-minded game.

tonylee123321

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2019, 05:12:59 am »
I recollect a diversion I used to play on my Commodore. I think I review it being a tape amusement yet I could not be right (this place). It had fish that had prattling teeth that was distinct to the point that I can recollect the audio cue strikingly.
I call it fish hunting  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2019, 09:25:54 am »
This is an arcade game back in the 80's, it had anime cut scenes and from what I can remember it was a shooter like Galaga. And in one of the cut scenes there was a black kid on a skateboard named Sony. Does anyone remember the name of the arcade? I'm sure it's available for MAME.  :laugh:

curseofnight86

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2019, 12:23:12 am »
Hello.

When I was a kid my mom's second husband(ex-husband for many years now) had hundreds of games for NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. There are two NES games in particular that I remember him having that I'd love to play again.

The first one is a side scrolling game where you play with a knight(there may have been a second character you could choose). The thing that stands out about this game was the size of the characters; the player and the enemies took up most of the screen vertically. I'm sure this wasn't a 2d fighter though it was a side scroller - although I believe it was a linear one; no walking up/down stairs, climbing platforms, etc. - not that I recall anyway, I don't think I ever got far at all. It was really hard. The enemies where other knights.

The second game was a side scroller as well, but the character was a more normal size. I believe it had a generic beat 7-10 stages to reach the bad guys castle and rescue a princess kinda flow. The first level - or at least an early level - you where in a forest and jumping up through the trees(this may have been the way you progress through all the stages, by always going up - I seem to remember always going up anyway, but I could certainly be wrong)

One of the items you find where little boots with wings - although whether they gave you the ability to fly, glide, or simply jump high I don't recall.

Also, in between stages, it showed a little map showing you your progress through the game.

Anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:47:08 am by curseofnight86 »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2019, 09:02:52 am »
The first one is a side scrolling game where you play with a knight(there may have been a second character you could choose). The thing that stands out about this game was the size of the characters; the player and the enemies took up most of the screen vertically. I'm sure this wasn't a 2d fighter though it was a side scroller - although I believe it was a linear one; no walking up/down stairs, climbing platforms, etc. - not that I recall anyway, I don't think I ever got far at all. It was really hard. The enemies where other knights.
Are you sure that's NES?  It sounds a lot like Gladiator / Great Gurianos, but that was only on the C64 and other home computers.

The second game was a side scroller as well, but the character was a more normal size. I believe it had a generic beat 7-10 stages to reach the bad guys castle and rescue a princess kinda flow. The first level - or at least an early level - you where in a forest and jumping up through the trees(this may have been the way you progress through all the stages, by always going up - I seem to remember always going up anyway, but I could certainly be wrong)
Wizards and Warriors, I think?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2019, 11:27:17 am »
I was also thinking of the arcade game Gladiator for the first one.

The second one sounds like Trojan on NES.

Hello.

When I was a kid my mom's second husband(ex-husband for many years now) had hundreds of games for NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. There are two NES games in particular that I remember him having that I'd love to play again.

One of the items you find where little boots with wings - although whether they gave you the ability to fly, glide, or simply jump high I don't recall.

Also, in between stages, it showed a little map showing you your progress through the game.

Anyone have any ideas?

curseofnight86

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2019, 12:14:14 pm »
As for the first game, I'm positive it was NES. He didn't own a computer.

As for the second game it's not Trojan, but I just watched a video of wizards and warriors and that might be it. I seem to remember the main character wearing a red outfit and the boot item he picked up didn't have little wings on it though that may just be me misremembering things.

Still though I think wizards and warriors just might be it, thanks Jorpho!

#

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2019, 12:21:46 pm »
The first game could be Dragon's Lair.

curseofnight86

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2019, 01:37:37 pm »
No, It's not dragon's lair. It looked completely different.

The characters in the game I'm talking about took up a large portion of screen. Like nearly the entire height and perhaps a third of the width.(edit: these proportions may be a bit exaggerated in my mind through the passage of time, but they were the largest characters sprites I can remember seeing in an NES game.) You never fought more than one enemy at a time.

It was like a side scrolling fencing game. That is the best way I can describe it. It wasn't fencing game though, heh, you where a knight and you fought other knights.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:08:56 pm by curseofnight86 »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2019, 01:06:19 am »
Have you checked videos of Gladiator to see if it happens to resemble what you recall?  Otherwise, could it be Prince of Persia or Karateka?

Also, Wizards & Warriors had a sequel that looked mostly the same as the first one.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

curseofnight86

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2019, 08:47:57 am »
The more I see of the first Wizards and Warriors, the more I'm convinced it's the game I'm looking for.

Also, the name Wizards and Warriors is same name I used for a short story I wrote when I was around 12 so I probably choose it because of some weird subconscious thing that I lack the words to explain. :)

As for the other game I'm searching for: I've watched vids for all the games suggested so far. None of these are it. Main characters and enemies are too small, not wearing knight armor, etc.

I'm trying remember more details but it's been so long.

I think you where in a castle of some sort but the backgrounds where mostly black. There could have columns, and windows and candles, etc. in the background but they where just floating in space I guess.

Edit: I don't remember any more than what I've already said except it was really hard for a little me; I don't think I ever got past the first few enemies. That's why I said I wasn't sure if it had stairs, platforms, etc. because I basically never made any progress. I do have a gut feeling it didn't have those things and was a very linear game though; I don't recall being able to jump. Just walking and attacking.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:10:05 am by curseofnight86 »

Cristal

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2019, 07:02:41 pm »
@curseofnight86: This makes me think of "Genpei Touma Den - Kan no Ni / Samurai Ghost", but it's for the PC Engine/TG-16. Since your memory is hazy, maybe you could be misremembering the system?

You can jump in that game though, but it sounds close enough to your description.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2019, 07:18:31 pm »
I've watched vids for all the games suggested so far. None of these are it. Main characters and enemies are too small, not wearing knight armor, etc.
You've watched videos of Gladiator?  Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34K5RLq8ig ?

Because that's definitely knight armor, and characters don't get much bigger than that.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2019, 08:19:58 pm »
You've watched videos of Gladiator?  Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34K5RLq8ig ?

Because that's definitely knight armor, and characters don't get much bigger than that.
It's like they build the game based on the description in this topic.

There's only one more NES game I can come up with that is somewhat close to the description: Castle Of Dragon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOAVmOMXl0g

The game begins in a castle fighting enemies one by one, including other knights, and there is hardly any platforming. Compared to the description though the backgrounds are too colorful and the characters too small.