General Category > Gaming Discussion

Does anyone know what game this is?

(1/24) > >>

Tharthan:
To be frank I have long given up hope that I will ever find this game again, as I have come to the conclusion that it must have been a rare homebrew game of some sort, because even its cover art looked like a slightly modified Final Fantasy Mystic Quest cover art.

People have suggested and found VERY similar games, but no one has ever found the precise game that I remember.

Anyways...

When one started the game, the had a huge character select screen. The screen's design was like a super giant version of the GBC game Heroes of Might & Magic 2's campaign mode character select screen. Again, though, unlike HoMM2, the character select screen in the game that I remember had at least a hundred or so characters, I'd reckon.

Out of the hundreds of characters, the player could pick four.

Once they were picked, the game revealed itself to be a Doom-perspective style dungeon crawler with a Doom-like health bar system. When one of the player's character got attacked enough, they would eventually turn into a skeleton. When all four of the player's characters had their profile shots turned into skulls, the game brought up a game over screen with creepy music (IIRC)  and some text that said something along the lines of "Your friends have passed onto another plane" in a creepy font. I couldn't read at the time that I played the game, so I had to ask my mother to read it to me, hence why I can't remember what it said well.

Anyways, when walking about the dungeon, I strongly remember that the first or second floor had a gnome or dwarf that the player could throw a (magical) cloth on to stop them in their tracks. In fact, if I recall correctly, when the cloth was dropped upon the dwarf it seemed to have... magically made the dwarf disappear, because I think (though don't quote me on this) the player could pick the cloth up again without any negative consequences.

Also, the game was for the SNES.

... ... ...

That's all that I really remember about the game, because I only played it once or twice. I was very young when I played it, and I was scared out of my wits by it for whatever reason (now that I think back to it the thing that might have scared me the most was the skull thing.

I went with my father to Funcoland and traded it in. That was the last I ever saw it.

I strongly regret that decision now, as I would have loved to play the game now.

Anyways, from the research that I have done, no officially licensed SNES game meets my description. As such, I strongly suspect that it was some sort of bootleg or homebrew game.

There is also the possibility that it might have been a homebrew port of some game that was officially released on other consoles.

M-Tee:
If it's not one of the very few games that comes up from a search for "first-person dungeon crawler snes," then likely your memory is skewed by time and nostalgia.

Considering you were at an age of pre-literacy, this is highly likely and easily explainable.

Tharthan:

--- Quote from: M-Tee on July 09, 2015, 09:27:36 am ---If it's not one of the very few games that comes up from a search for "first-person dungeon crawler snes," then likely your memory is skewed by time and nostalgia.

Considering you were at an age of pre-literacy, this is highly likely and easily explainable.

--- End quote ---

Everything that I have said has been backed up by other members of my family who were older than me at the time.

And, I'm telling you, I've tried to play other games that sound similar but I know that they aren't the same.

Some of the things that I said might be a little off, but the vast majority of what I just described to you needs to be met by a potential game that it might be, otherwise it is not the same game.

I don't know what else to say.

But, like I said before, it might have been some obscure homebrew title. The fact that the cartridge art looked like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest's cartridge art further makes that seem likely.

Jorpho:
Not Dungeon Master?

Perhaps you could list all the games that you are already certain this isn't, lest we waste our time suggesting things you've already eliminated?

tryphon:
Arcana ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version