News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Best Street Fighter Combatant IYO  (Read 7829 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Best Street Fighter Combatant IYO
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 02:01:17 am »
I don't care for SF's charge characters or the 360 degree role moves.

Like, it requires Guile more than 2 seconds to throw a projectile when the ryu-like characters can throw them instantly.

One of the reasons I think that the SNK-developed Street Fighter games (SvC Chaos and SVC on the NGPC) is that characters I genuinely like the design of, such as Guile and Balrog (boxer), are for the first time, legit contenders for casual players, because their charge times have been considerably decreased.

I also don't like when the games acquired half-screen sized projectiles or double-screen high jumping. Therefore, I've never enjoyed the Darkstalkers series or any of the Marvel fighting games from Capcom.

Moreover, Capcom's assorted compilations were quite shoddy, as I think having a different resolution background from the sprites looks unprofessional. Moreover, the use of characters from different games with different artstyles, most noticeably in Capcom vs SNK just makes it feel like a MUGEN game, which I've never enjoyed. Some characters had outlines (darkstalkers). Others didn't.

Chaos was boss. It was an SNK game. The Street Fighter characters were completely redesigned with new sprites made from scratch. Some of the SNK characters had new sprites. It played like a tight, SNK fighter, unlike the gimmicky and flashy Capcom counterpart. But it even suffered from the bankruptcy occurring during production. I swear, I'd put money down on being able to pick out which parts were made before and after the bankruptcy.

That said, I still totally dig Street Fighter. Awesome character designs. Solid gameplay in the main series. I enjoyed every entry in the SF2, Alpha, and III branches.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:06:40 am by M-Tee »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 07:29:37 am »
The thing about the charge moves is often you're charging the block button, or can block while holding the charge direction. So you're not leaving yourself vulnerable during that time. And when you get the move off, it usually comes as a direct reversal to your opponent's offensive.
Guile's sonic boom is sort of an exception to this (because it is a long range attack), but you can also jump while charging backwards, so jump back twice then fire. The charge moves kind of end up shaping your strategy, but it's also a pretty effective strategy.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 07:08:46 am »
The thing about the charge moves is often you're charging the block button, or can block while holding the charge direction. So you're not leaving yourself vulnerable during that time. And when you get the move off, it usually comes as a direct reversal to your opponent's offensive.
Guile's sonic boom is sort of an exception to this (because it is a long range attack), but you can also jump while charging backwards, so jump back twice then fire. The charge moves kind of end up shaping your strategy, but it's also a pretty effective strategy.

This was how I would play charge characters like E. Honda, Guile/Charlie, Vega etc. I just felt that it took away from the feeling of the game's flow because it didn't seem like the computer opponents needed such block-charging to act in a more fluid nature during the fight. I actually remember enjoying the gamegenie code that would take away the charge in SFII Turbo for my SNES. It did make it feel a lot more like Mortal Kombat in some respects, but the player didn't have to charge-block to accomplish a move. Personally, I felt like I was on a more even playing field with the computer because I could advance and still be ready to accomplish a flash kick for example when I landed from jumping. It really ended up shaping strategy in a completely opposite manner than what you discussed, which I understand as well. The charging factor, at least for me, was a reason to stick to characters who used controller movements and button input. That kind of fighting allowed me to play more offensively, or instantly switch to defensive strategy mid-stream.
I don't care for SF's charge characters or the 360 degree role moves.

Like, it requires Guile more than 2 seconds to throw a projectile when the ryu-like characters can throw them instantly.

One of the reasons I think that the SNK-developed Street Fighter games (SvC Chaos and SVC on the NGPC) is that characters I genuinely like the design of, such as Guile and Balrog (boxer), are for the first time, legit contenders for casual players, because their charge times have been considerably decreased.

I also don't like when the games acquired half-screen sized projectiles or double-screen high jumping. Therefore, I've never enjoyed the Darkstalkers series or any of the Marvel fighting games from Capcom.

Moreover, Capcom's assorted compilations were quite shoddy, as I think having a different resolution background from the sprites looks unprofessional. Moreover, the use of characters from different games with different artstyles, most noticeably in Capcom vs SNK just makes it feel like a MUGEN game, which I've never enjoyed. Some characters had outlines (darkstalkers). Others didn't.

Chaos was boss. It was an SNK game. The Street Fighter characters were completely redesigned with new sprites made from scratch. Some of the SNK characters had new sprites. It played like a tight, SNK fighter, unlike the gimmicky and flashy Capcom counterpart. But it even suffered from the bankruptcy occurring during production. I swear, I'd put money down on being able to pick out which parts were made before and after the bankruptcy.

That said, I still totally dig Street Fighter. Awesome character designs. Solid gameplay in the main series. I enjoyed every entry in the SF2, Alpha, and III branches.

Now that I think about it, the SNK vs. Capcom game, at least 2 because I had that one for my PS2, did look like more like a MUGEN fighter because the character designs varied SOOOO MUCH. I remember being particularly upset when I played as Morrigan in that game because her sprite just looked out of place (I know I said no Darkstalkers but I LOVE her, and I was just using her as an example that I remembered  ;D). Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and many others however looked like they synched up with the SNK universe just fine. I did like the customize your fighter option in that game though, it allowed me to make characters the way that I wanted them to be colored, which I thought was cool. It was also cool to have a team of the 3 main shotos in a different way than MVC2, which was cool too.

Ironically, although I LOVE SFII and all of its different iterations, and III (all 3), the Alpha series was my favorite. Alpha 1 was more of a "proof of concept" to me. Alpha 2 built upon that framework to give us the game that I believe Alpha 1 should have been. Alpha 3 was my favorite, even with the different throw mechanics, at least the PS1 version. I loved that game!! The World Tour mode was just pure brilliance and added a flavor to fighting that felt very satisfying. I remember using a combination that gave me unlimited blocking against special or Super moves, a constantly charging Super Meter, and something else with my personal versions of Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Evil Ryu, and Shin Akuma. I also liked that game because they put Guile in the Alpha series for his only appearance (although he sounded oddly Australian to me for some reason). That game really had a good story too that kind of brought everything together if you played with a bunch of different characters. Alpha 3 also gave use the appearance of the friendship that developed between Blanka and Dan, and isn't that the SWEETEST GD things ever hahahahah (totally a joke, but it is accurate I believe).

Please continue. This has been a very interesting thread for me so far and I'm enjoying discussing Street Fighter with other people  :beer:
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 08:26:38 am »
Alpha 3 was one of the few games I bought myself from summer-job work, new, for PSX.

This was also around the time I discovered the recording of audio and video from different sources, and I recall sitting around with my friend, choreographing fights and building "a story" through our childish voice acting over the fights.

Nothing like pre-teen / early teen nerddom.

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 09:19:11 am »
Alpha 3 was one of the few games I bought myself from summer-job work, new, for PSX.

This was also around the time I discovered the recording of audio and video from different sources, and I recall sitting around with my friend, choreographing fights and building "a story" through our childish voice acting over the fights.

Nothing like pre-teen / early teen nerddom.

I remember doing something similar when I was in 6th grade. My friend and I videotaped the cinemas from Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 and made Ninja Gaiden The Movie haha. We didn't dub in voices, but he couldn't beat either game on his own, so he had me play and do it for him so he could tape all of the cinemas. Fun things that we do as kids huh  :laugh:
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 10:19:12 am »
Haha. I used to record Game Genie fueled playthroughs of NES games I rented. I remember doing the same with Double Dragon II. Also, with the Video Painter.

Yeah, CvS and CvS 2 were both really Mugen-like and shoddy. I did have a roommate that had one of them on the Gamecube though. I seem to recall it having a Smash Brothers-like control scheme that mapped special moves to the c-stick, so I could use them as quickly as the PC.

The result is that one of the final bosses, perhaps Bison?, that I found unbeatable with regular gameplay suddenly became very beatable with Blanka.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:00:05 pm by M-Tee »

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 09:56:24 pm »
Was kind of in a Street Fighter mood tonight, so I played through Third Strike a few times on my PS3. Its amazing how Capcom can build a game that is fairly balanced throughout, increasing at a normal level of difficulty, but then you get to the final boss, and he's just SO overpowered and unfair. I will say at least that even with his resurrection B.S., Gill was a fairer opponent than Seth... Gosh I hated that guy!! Anybody on PSN who wants to spar sometime, in that game or Turbo Special or MVC2, PM me  :beer: