News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Yoshi's Island on GBA  (Read 7493 times)

Maeson

• View Profile
Re: Yoshi's Island on GBA
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 01:32:49 pm »
GBA games had bright colors because of the (so I've heard, never actually owned one personally) terribly dark screen of the original model (though I've got a WSC, which sounds like it is similarly flawed). (I've got both versions of the SP and a GBP)

Absolutely right, it's something that happened to many ports from SNES/Genesis to GBA. A couple of games that I remember being kind of bad in this regard were the Breath of Fire games ported to it. But with these two Mario games I find the new colors more appealing.

In fact I tried the original GBA earlier today and the screen it's not only dark, but pretty hard to see nowadays. I remember turning into some kind of light-seeking-plant each time I wanted to play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or these two games, lol.

These days I use a Ds Lite when I play with the original cartridges, so it's much easier to look at them (And that's the reason why I like the brighter colors more, I guess).
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 03:20:37 pm »
Another reason for liking SMW GBA more is because it actually has Luigi as a playable character with his personal sprite and gameplay.
That is also available in the Super Mario All-Stars version of SMW.

I'm hoping someone will eventually release a patch that will restore the original power-up progression, i.e. Caped and Firey Mario go back to small Mario when hit instead of Super Mario.  Just seems not-right to do it otherwise.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 08:18:20 pm »

I don't think he has his unique physics in All-Stars.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 02:01:12 am »

I'm hoping someone will eventually release a patch that will restore the original power-up progression, i.e. Caped and Firey Mario go back to small Mario when hit instead of Super Mario.  Just seems not-right to do it otherwise.

Nintendo themselves did, sort of, but only for Mario 3.
As one of their power e-cards for the Super Mario Advance 4 port. Activated in all versions (even PAL) with code breaker 83002D52 0080 since they never actually released it.
Dunno about whether it has been done for SMW, it might be so simple no one really bothered to have a hack solely for that.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 03:11:47 am »
I don't think he has his unique physics in All-Stars.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_All-Stars_%2B_Super_Mario_World

Pretty much what Midna says.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 10:48:01 am »
Talking about Yoshi's Island GBA...
This is the only one out of the 4 Super Mario Advance titles that still hasn't gotten any Palette/Colour restoration treatment.

SMA 1 & 2 got it, wihle SMA 4 has the colors quite faithful due to being released during the GBA SP time.

But Super Mario Advance 3 still retains that dull/bright palette. :P

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 03:41:23 pm »
The guy who made the Mario World and Mario 2 palette restoration hacks (Asaki) did look at and play around with Yoshi's Island, but he said it was going to take more time and effort than the previous two. He hasn't posted in years and he seems to have disappeared from the internet since releasing the Mario 2 hack. He also released a palette restoration for Breath of Fire GBA, but I lost it in a hard drive crash (and I can't find any working links online anymore either).

I did find another preliminary attempt to restore the SNES palette, but it hasn't been continued since 2011 apparently and only restores a small part of the beginning of the game I think-
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=files&u=12961

The GBA port of Yoshi's Island is a mess. Besides palette and sound downgrades, there's slowdown at times. The palette i imagine is fixable. And I suppose it's possible to correct the sound issues, Bregalad fixed the Final Fantasy ports and released tools and documentation on GBA sound. His hacks even fixed a lot of the slowdown in FF5/6, so the same might even be possible for YI. Most SNES to GBA ports suffer from brightness, sound and slowdown problems. Likely could have been avoided with better programming too.

Even with SuperFX, GBA should have a power advantage. Plenty of impressive original GBA games to showcase its power. It's a more capable 3D machine and can handle sprite rotation/scaling on its own (SNES required SuperFX for this). Gunstar Super Heroes in particular is full of this. Bregalad's hacks even showcase faithfully replicated SNES music/sfx on GBA.

I'm definitely not a programmer and don't claim knowledge of technical matters, but I would think that (based on other games) the GBA should be capable either of the Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy distortion effects, or at least a reasonable facsimile... There are actually original Gameboy (black and white) games that use very visually comparable distortion effects. Here's an example from Link's Awakening-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geikcS9wb90&feature=youtu.be&t=371

Some of the battle backgrounds in Earthbound also use distortion effects that look similar to the Fuzzy effects (particularly the final battle), left intact in the GBA port.

Again, I don't know for certain if the exact Fuzzy effect could be replicated 100% on GBA, but i've seen more than enough from other games on GB and GBA to convince me that at the very least a reasonable facsimile could have been used to approximate the effect

The only thing that i'm unsure GBA is capable of are the "dripping" effects from Kamek's magic. It's a curtain of transparent color (with a gradient shade) that pours over the screen, and it stretches vertically in places. Though I will also point out that the Sluggy and Potted Ghost bosses look like they use some variation of this exact effect (at least similar visually), and those effects are intact in the GBA port.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 11:19:27 am »
^That link also has the .sav that adds Mad Dash into the SMA4 game. :P

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 09:29:05 pm »
GBA Yoshi's Island could really use a sound restoration too. Most of the songs just sound similar to the SNES game with lower quality samples, but the xylophone sounds completely different and much uglier for no clear reason (the coin collection sound effect, ? clouds popping, the main overworld theme; Super Mario World had this problem too with the Yoshi bongos) and the level start theme was... I don't know what happened to it, I just know it got butchered somehow. Change those back, if nothing else.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 10:39:57 pm »
You know what's bizarre? In the GBA version, Baby Mario's crying was changed, but you could still hear the original cry coming from Luigi in the world select portion of the map screen.