News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Turok 2 on the Nintendo 64... my opinion after 1.5 hours.  (Read 3694 times)

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
Turok 2 on the Nintendo 64... my opinion after 1.5 hours.
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:08:05 pm »
To sum it up: Completely unplayable.

The graphics are actually so good that they're bad.  Bad in that the frame rate is just laughable.  I just got done playing Turok 1 on the 64 and was very much looking forward to the sequel... what a disappointment. 

I first tried playing with the expansion pack with the high res mode turned on.  It looked great, however I couldn't aim or jump accurately to save my life.  At one point I was shooting the pistol down at a dino from above as he ran around in circles.  I couldn't move the joystick to aim for him (as it was near impossible to control), I just waited for him to come back into my sights.  This process took me quite a while as the dinosaurs take a few bullets to kill.

After playing with the high res mode turned on and realizing I wouldn't be able to play it like that, I turned the resolution to low.  I hardly noticed any improvement at all. 

I then went on IGN to hear what professional reviewers were saying, IGN gave the game a 9/10 and even noted the lag issues!  I couldn't believe it.  They mostly praised the multiplayer mode... but when I played the game years ago as a kid, I wasn't too much of a fan especially considering Goldeneye existed.

As a last ditch effort I tried to play with just the jumper pack as opposed to the expansion pack.  However, this didn't help at all.  I decided to put some cheats in and see if the other levels were laggy and yes it was so.  I even did a boss fight and that is where the lag was the absolute worst.  Must have been about 3 frames a second... kind of like a fast slide show.

All in all I am just incredibly disappointed.  I am aware there is a PC version, however I don't think I will attempt to obtain that as I just wanted to play on my 64.

What's hilarious is the reviews on gamefaqs.  Take this excerpt for example:  "Usually, most games that have outstanding graphics are sort of choppy and the graphics aren't steady and smooth, since they spent so much time on the graphics themselves than the smoothness. Turok 2, however, is a refreshing exception. What makes Turok 2's graphics so great is that they are all very detailed, but very smooth also. The only times the game may slow down a tiny bit is when there is a massive amount of gunfire and activity on the screen at once (but then again, what game doesn't get choppy at some point?). Aside from when their is a bombarding amount of gunfire, the rest of the game is very smooth. You easily swim without and choppiness and you rarely see any screw-ups with the graphics. I think one of the reasons the game is smooth is because the levels are divided into sections via warps. Without the warps, the levels would probably be much more choppy. It really feels like you are in the game when you move around, too. All-in-all, Turok 2 is very smooth (especially smooth considering the perfect graphics). "

I guess many of us were tricked back then.

Sadness.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:19:12 pm by realworksuks »
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Turok 2 on the Nintendo 64... my opinion after 1.5 hours.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:40:28 pm »
Just get Turok Rage Wars and invite some friends over. That game doesn't get enough attention. The multiplayer is way better than 007. I wouldn't really compare it to the other Turok games though since it's obviously going for something totally different.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:32:16 pm »
I loved Turok 1, that was one of my favorite FPS games on the N64. I tried Turok 2 back in '98, I never got into it. Including I always found it weird you had to rescue children in that game as well. I did hear mix opinions about Turok 3, but I have no interest of checking it out. I did heard some great things about Rage Wars, I'll probably check it out in the near future. I remembered watching Acidglow playing that game with his friends on his youtube channel a few years ago, it looks like a cool multiplayer FPS game.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:39:51 pm by SCD »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 02:30:42 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:13:03 am by Chpexo »

redmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 04:07:40 am »
Play Daikatana for the n64. sure it seems like it sucks, but it actually a fun game with a decent story. really a rare gem hidden in the n64 era.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 04:45:01 am »
Yeah most N64 games have aged horribly and as such I usually have to write the N64 off these days. Fortunately most of the good games were remade elsewhere.

@Chpexo get the XBLA remake of Perfect Dark. It is great.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 10:09:15 pm »
I guess many of us were tricked back then.
Have you checked any Youtube videos to see if it plays at that speed for other people?  Maybe your cart is bad somehow.

Play Daikatana for the n64. sure it seems like it sucks, but it actually a fun game with a decent story. really a rare gem hidden in the n64 era.
Are you saying it is somehow superior to the PC version..?  Even Romero said the N64 version sucked.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 03:49:45 pm »
Regardless of it's mixed reviews, give Turok 3 a shot. I've played a bit of it and it's pretty damn fun.

Yeah, the setting's sort of "WTF is this???" but idk, it kind of reminds me of Half-Life a little with how the levels tend to play out.

Also, I remember playing Turok 2 a few years back, and remember the frame rate not being terrible, but also not being buttery smooth.  It was definitely playable, as far as N64 games go (I was also playing the hell out of South Park at the same time, and being they both use the same engine, there's a small possibility I may be mistaking the framerate for the other game's)

Or, you could always try to play it off an emulator, and see if it's a smoother experience for you. I know, N64's got a bad reputatuion as far as emulation goes, but when it's playing correctly (or correctly enough) games tend to play like a champ and look like how our nostalgaic minds remember them. Perfect dark playing off a decent PC is a prime example of this when it's playing correctly (which is outside of Mach 3 speed cutscenes).

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 03:20:28 pm »
Also, I remember playing Turok 2 a few years back, and remember the frame rate not being terrible, but also not being buttery smooth.  It was definitely playable, as far as N64 games go

That seems to be my memory as well. I was using the "official" Nintendo expansion pack, if that matters (not sure if there were issues with any of the 3rd-party ones). I remember noticeable choppiness with the flamethrower, but still nothing verging on unplayable. Of course, this was around the time of its release, so it's been a while...

Kind of sounds like maybe a hardware issue and/or possibly overheating.

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 07:06:57 pm »
That seems to be my memory as well. I was using the "official" Nintendo expansion pack, if that matters (not sure if there were issues with any of the 3rd-party ones). I remember noticeable choppiness with the flamethrower, but still nothing verging on unplayable. Of course, this was around the time of its release, so it's been a while...

Kind of sounds like maybe a hardware issue and/or possibly overheating.

I had a buddy play it on his console the same night I tried it.  We both were using the expansion pack.  He said the same thing.  In addition, I tried it on another console I have hooked up with just the jumper pack installed - no help.  I tried every possible thing I could think of outside of somehow overclocking the console.  I guess the one thing I didn't try was playing on an emulator.  I could see just for the hell of it.  But I wouldn't want to play it on an emulator anyways. 

I would recommend trying again if you still have doubts.  It's so awful.  I had someone watch me play it the other day, and it made them nauseous where they thought they might puke.  Just three minutes of Turok exposure...

Update:  So, I did try it on an emulator.  I used fraps to see what my frame rates were.  It turns out that Turok is programmed to run no faster than 30 frames a second.  Goldeneye can get up to 60.  Surprisingly, Turok and Goldeneye have pretty comparable frame rates with goldeneye running around 40 to 20 frames a second usually (sometimes dipping to around 15 on the dam level in particular) and Turok running from 30 to around 15.  I wonder if I would have said Goldeneye is unplayable today had I just tried it for the first time.  Interesting.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:05:35 pm by realworksuks »
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks