News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Rockman 2 Everlast  (Read 24994 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Rockman 2 Everlast
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 09:54:27 pm »
Looks better. Metal Man is probably the most effective.

Small things: the horizontal and vertical banding on Bubble Man's goggles doesn't read as anything other than horizntal and vertical lines.

What is on Clash Man's eyes? Grey sunglasses under his visor? If so, the mid point doesn't line up with his nose, like a Crayon Shinchan comic. Also, why sunglasses under a visor?

Also, the inside of his head looks like tiny bricks.

Why are Airman and Flashman such drastically different colors than before (I understand the technical reason, but giving into that reason is very obvious here.)

Air Man's fan looks like a fleur de lis. Is it supposed to be broken? Would a fan blade break like that? It just looks like "change this to a spike because spikes are cool."

Lastly, you might want to darken Woodman's body to add contrast from his head, which existed before. (Is Woodman's head on fire?) And maybe shade one side of HeatMan (even though he wasn't in the original) to emphasize the lighter shape.

Weathered select screen looks much better and helps sell the concept. Might want to weather that Wily logo too, though.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:04:04 am by M-Tee »

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 01:37:19 pm »
Ok,is this any better?

As for bubble man I was trying to make it look like he had seaweed on his head kind of like the scooby-doo villain, I tried to fix up clash man a little bit, with his shades ( I only did the shades because I wanted it to be a little funny, like he's some action movie star, or something like that :P) The things that look like tiny bricks are supposed to be rusted machinery, with such a limited space detail is difficult to obtain. I tried to make airman's blades look a little less like a saints advert, and made it broken. I fixed up woodman's body (and yes he is on fire.) and added shading to heatman. Lastly messed up the wily logo. So let me know what you think, thanks :)
"Not safe for kids over 167"

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 03:49:40 pm »
Getting better every time!
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 05:35:05 pm »
Thanks, when I get done with some more changes i'll put up an updated patch download link :)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 08:36:46 pm »
Looks much, much better, and is reading far more as you had originally intended.

I'd definitely reapproach the idea of Clash Man's exposed innards. Intended or not, it definitely looks like bricks. Perhaps following the contour of the head  with some of the details and removing  the dots. Honestly, for he and Quick Man though, I don't really buy the idea of the exposed inside being rusted and the outside not. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen that way, I'm just saying that it's such an unexpected approach, that the viewer will probably not read the red as rust. I think approaching them more like Metal Man, where the red is exclusively for worn paint might be better.

Have you updated any of the in-game boss sprites to match?

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 08:44:22 pm »
Can't Metal Man have rusty-colored Metal Blades? That would be cool.  :laugh:

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 09:14:54 pm »
I actually think the way the Metal Blade is shaded in the image is the best looking part of the screen, I wouldn't touch it.

-in fact, approaching Quick Man's boomerang in a similar way could help there too.

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 10:18:48 pm »
Looks much, much better, and is reading far more as you had originally intended.

I'd definitely reapproach the idea of Clash Man's exposed innards. Intended or not, it definitely looks like bricks. Perhaps following the contour of the head  with some of the details and removing  the dots. Honestly, for he and Quick Man though, I don't really buy the idea of the exposed inside being rusted and the outside not. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen that way, I'm just saying that it's such an unexpected approach, that the viewer will probably not read the red as rust. I think approaching them more like Metal Man, where the red is exclusively for worn paint might be better.

Have you updated any of the in-game boss sprites to match?

I'll try and fix up clash man and quick man. I'm currently in the process of changing the boss sprites actually.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 10:23:13 pm »
I actually really like the original Quick Man image from page one, specifically without the detail in the eyes. It makes him look like he's wearing shades, and it looks badass.

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 10:32:20 pm »
I would return to that design, but I already gave Clash Man shades, so I just don't want to seem redundant, that's all.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 10:49:58 pm »
I didn't even notice that. QuickMan's white shades totally work better than Clash Man's grey ones.

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 10:51:55 pm »
Ok then, i'll swap em', no problem :)

---------------------------------------------

Alright, what do ya think?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:10:23 pm by 32x1000 »

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 11:21:13 pm »
Now Crashman has his undamaged face. Maybe give him a damaged eye like Flashman.

And maybe give one of them an exposed jaw bone?

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 11:52:47 pm »
Ok, ill get on that tomorrow I gotta get to bed, thanks:)

-----------------------------------------

Ok, how about this?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:32:53 am by 32x1000 »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 08:56:21 pm »
Eh, I'm not digging the repeat of the same damage on Flash manand Clash Man, especially since they're right next to each other.  I'd restore Clash Man's eyes and probably damage his skin (since no one else has skin damage) maybe like Zynk suggested, and have a t-800 style skull or jawbone exposed under torn flesh?

Anyway, looking way better than before.

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:44 pm »
Alright, how's this?

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 01:18:42 am »
I had a few minutes before I had to leave, so I threw this together. Now I'm on the subway, so I'll type this out:

I like how much effort you're putting into the graphics. If I were in your shoes, I would approach Clash Man, something like this:

http://i62.tinypic.com/16av3ti.jpg

Granted, I'm not sure about the palette restrictions here (I haven't looked at the ROM to see which parts are sprites), but...

I would change the 2B you have to 3B (this makes the teal shadow more dominant, which I think helps Flashman, looks fine on Bubble Man, and especially helps Clash Man's visor) I then cleaned up the visor, trying to give cracks that followed the curve of the glass and were affected by the highlights.

I also reapproached his helmet, so that the red would be like peeling paint hanging on the metal surface, which I think would read more clearly than red internal mechanics.

For the face, I made the jaw small enough that it would conceivably fit under the skin, had the torn skin hang over it, and instead of trying to draw every tooth, simply implied a few that were visible.

Just a quick throw together to illustrate. I look forward to seeing your sprite work.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:44:56 am by M-Tee »

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 06:40:45 pm »
I didn't want to make an exact copy, and I had to work through sprite and graphic limitations, so... how's this look?

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 08:37:06 pm »
Looks great to me.  :beer:

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 11:04:09 am »
Ok here's some of the sprites (they are all also animated but I have no way to show every single sprite for that :P)