News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lame movie, great game!  (Read 11247 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Lame movie, great game!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 05:32:19 pm »
There was this 90's era action movie with Sylvestor Stallone and Wesley Snipes, but I can't quite remember it's name... I think it stated with a "T"..?

Basically, Stallone tries to catch Snipes, get's frozen, wakes up in the future, and finds out he has to learn to wipe his ass with conch shells. I'm being completely serious, as the movie brings it up at least two or more times afterwards. Oh, and he has to catch Snipes again, but in the future, while also learning the disappointments of having sexual intercourse with a woman using an Occulus Rift.

Anyway, the movie wasn't the greatest, but it's pretty damn funny for what it is. There's a contra-esque SNES game based on it that's actually pretty badass. Plus, seeing a 16-bit Wesley Snipes is pretty hilarious at any rate!

That would be Demolition Man.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 05:38:01 pm »
There was this 90's era action movie with Sylvestor Stallone and Wesley Snipes, but I can't quite remember it's name... I think it stated with a "T"..?
I think it also has Sandra Bullock in it...
Is it "Demolition Man"?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 05:38:52 pm »
I think it also has Sandra Bullock in it...
Is it "Demolition Man"?

haha Beat ya.  :P

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 06:42:07 pm »
I bet the "T" you're thinking of is Timecop, which stars Van Damme and came out not long after. In my mind, I often catch myself thinking "Timecop" when I mean "Demolition Man."
The plot of Timecop is nothing like that of Demolition Man, but Timecop would have been an equally viable title for the movie that was called Demolition Man.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 12:04:26 am »
On that note, the Judge Dredd SNES game is apparently relatively good.  But then, that wasn't such a bad movie either.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/stallone/stallone3.htm
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 12:07:19 am »
On that note, the Judge Dredd SNES game is apparently relatively good.  But then, that wasn't such a bad movie either.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/stallone/stallone3.htm

I'm starting to wish that I had started this as a "movie games that are actually good" thread instead. Then I would be getting even more suggestions of cool games.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 12:25:25 am »
Demolition Man, and I can't possibly imagine how anyone that actually enjoys action movies would consider it less than great.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 02:08:31 am »
That sounds like Demolition man and from I recall the game was not that bad, possibly dismissed more at the time as the main options for tie in game were platformer if it is for the kids and contra clone like action adventure is today.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 02:20:19 am »
That sounds like Demolition man and from I recall the game was not that bad, possibly dismissed more at the time as the main options for tie in game were platformer if it is for the kids and contra clone like action adventure is today.

I might have dismissed it because it says Acclaim on the box. Sometimes that's just as bad as the unholy stamp of death: L...J...N...! *gasp*

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 10:57:12 am »
By that point Acclaim and LJN were actually one and the same. ;)

THQ was the name I avoided like the plague.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 05:20:30 pm »
I bet the "T" you're thinking of is Timecop, which stars Van Damme and came out not long after. In my mind, I often catch myself thinking "Timecop" when I mean "Demolition Man."
The plot of Timecop is nothing like that of Demolition Man, but Timecop would have been an equally viable title for the movie that was called Demolition Man.

"facepalms" That was exactly what I was thinking, given the names of the two movies.

Speaking of Timecop, I'm 80% sure there was a game made of that movie for the SNES, which could have helped me mix the names up even more.

I think someone made a SNES game out of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein as well. From what I recall it was a Castlvania clone. I didn't play a whole lot of it, but it's alright.

It's better than Batman Forever SNES, at the very least (reusing the first room layout 3-4+ times in a row on the first level = lame). I remember getting this as a kid right after renting Batman Returns, which was an EPIC SoR-styled beat-em-up, so you could imagine my disappointment.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 06:51:35 pm »
Speaking of Timecop, I'm 80% sure there was a game made of that movie for the SNES, which could have helped me mix the names up even more.
Yep.  It was famously cited as an example of the inaccuracy of ZSNES.  And that's pretty much all I know about it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 01:50:08 pm »
Just my 2 cents : I don't find the movie Alien 3 so lame. I prefer it over James Cameron's and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's movies (though I love Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work).

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 02:38:57 pm »
Just my 2 cents : I don't find the movie Alien 3 so lame. I prefer it over James Cameron's and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's movies (though I love Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work).

I did but I'd probably have to watch it again to make many more points than "I hated the CGI alien", "some of the dialogue was bad" and "I didn't like that they killed off the girl and the cat". I don't think I've seen any of the movies beyond Alien 3 (though I likely will eventually) because I'm kinda weird about movies anyway. If it wasn't made in the early 90's or before I tend to approach it with the pre-conceived notion that it is going to suck because of how dissatisfied I've been with the majority of the movies I've seen since then. It's rare for me to see a movie I like these days. I don't really expect others to understand this though.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 02:59:16 pm »
If it wasn't made in the early 90's or before I tend to approach it with the pre-conceived notion that it is going to suck because of how dissatisfied I've been with the majority of the movies I've seen since then. It's rare for me to see a movie I like these days. I don't really expect others to understand this though.

I'm in the same boat... but I don't think it's because movies have gotten worse overall (they really haven't -- in a lot of ways they're better now than they used to be)... I think it's more that the medium itself is becoming outdated and replaced by long-running serials like Sopranos, BSG, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Weeds, etc, etc.  With a series you have more time to develop characters, build more complex stories, have deeper writing, and just do more than you can in a 90 or even a 120 minute movie.

As a result, the shows are so engaging that these shorter movies tend to fall flat by comparison.

I'm starting to suspect this is one of the reasons why they're making movie series, now (apart from the other obvious reasons of milking an easy sell).  Things like the Avengers, the Hobbit, etc are all movie series -- allowing character development and story arcs from previous movies carry forward into future movies.  Which theoretically allows them to create more depth.  Maybe this is them attempting to rebrand themselves to compete with the much more engaging stories people are finding in TV and online serials.

Though, IMO it doesn't work.  For 3 very big reasons:

- Movies are expected to be self-contained.  Whereas a single episode of a series doesn't have to be.  Therefore a single movie has to have a complete arc.  This makes it more difficult (if not impossible) to dedicate enough time to character and story development... because even if you are building up a larger story... the main arc of the movie has to be wrapped up by the end. 

- 90 minutes is like exactly the wrong length.  It's too long to be an episode, or a single-part installment to a larger story because it's too long to keep people interested unless you have a big payoff... and it's too short to be a fully realized and well developed story.

- Similarly to the above point, people are expected to watch a movie in one sitting.  Which is an even bigger problem for the time constraints.  I can pick up and put down a show at my convenience.  Whether it be popping in for a half hour when I have some free time, or binge-watching 5 episodes in a row.  You can't do that with a movie -- especially not if you're going out to theaters.

So yeah -- really... the theatrical movie is kind of just becoming outdated.  About the only thing keeping it alive is the big screen and big speakers.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 08:02:43 pm »
I see what you mean Disch and I totally agree. I've never thought about it that way before.

BUT, it's really hard to describe what the deal is with me and movies. Most of the time when I see a new movie these days it does nothing for me. I assumed that maybe that was because it was the whole "I've seen it all before" thing, but it isn't. I've also assumed that maybe I just didn't want to like newer movies and wasn't going to because I always go into it with my mind already made up. That doesn't appear to be the case either. For some reason I can still dig up old movies that I've never seen before and I still enjoy them 100 times more than any new movies I've seen in the past 10 years or more. There's something different about the way people make movies these days that is very different from the way they used to be made. The only thing I can pinpoint with regard to newer movies is that CGI objects and backgrounds have always pissed me off for some reason. I just can't get over the feeling that it is incredibly lame.

Note: Before anybody starts, I realize that not all old movies are good.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 09:02:28 pm »
I'm not sure why Aliens 4 gets so much hate.  It was a little weird at times, but that's okay; it's neat to see someone try something a little different.  The third film was just confusing and depressing.

slime500

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 01:24:05 am »
Street Fighter the movie may not have won an academy award but it was a fun action flick with a final appearance of Rual Julia using arcade fight sticks. Alien 3 was a much better movie compared to the game. No idea why it still receives criticism when Alien Resurrection exists.

Total Recall NES. Fighting a wino and midgets in back alleys. What? Could never make it very far either due to difficulty.
Dead or Alive movie PSX. Not a fan of the game but holy hell was this movie an abomination.
Mortal Kombat Annihilation.  Maybe the worst video game to movie ever. It felt like they tried to fit every MK character in existence into this garbage.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 01:52:33 am »
Street Fighter the movie may not have won an academy award but it was a fun action flick with a final appearance of Rual Julia using arcade fight sticks. Alien 3 was a much better movie compared to the game. No idea why it still receives criticism when Alien Resurrection exists.

Yeah I thought Street Fighter was a fun movie. Bought it a few years back because it was in the bargain bin for like $3 or something. I always felt people were way too hard on it. I mean, it doesn't make me cringe like that corny Mortal Kombat movie from around the same time. Oh man. Raul Julia is the coolest. I miss that guy... He was so cool. Yeah, I said it twice because he was THAT cool. I feel like watching The Addams Family or Frankenstein Unbound.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about the SNES version of Alien 3. That one, I think is a great and underrated game. A matter of opinion, yes. I've heard the NES version sucks (it's also supposed to be totally different) but I've never played it. I know JT's music for it is pretty damned cool though. He and the Follin brothers had a similar style. All three sound like they just absolutely mastered the NES hardware. As for Alien 3 the movie, I was very disappointed in it. Something tells me it would be better as a book. Plus, screw whoever wrote it for killing off the little girl (Newt) and cat ("you little shithead" LOL). That was cheap.

I remember renting Total Recall when I was a kid. That movie is one of my all time favorites but I wouldn't wipe my ass with that game. LOL If it were the only NES game I was ever allowed to play again I would pray for death and hope that I didn't meet it again in hell.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 04:05:55 am »
I never liked the new Star Wars trilogy, I only liked the old trilogy. But I do remember that Star Wars: Episode 1: Racer, Star Wars Racer Arcade, Star Wars: Racer Revenge and LEGO Star Wars were great games.