News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire II SNES - Exp & Money x2  (Read 8717 times)

Maeson

• View Profile
Breath of Fire II SNES - Exp & Money x2
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:04:11 pm »
Hi!

Some time ago, I decided to replay Breath of Fire 2, and I borrowed a friend's GBA version, to see what differences it had, which are not many. Not even the script is changed, besides some very little things.

Holy crap, when Capcom is lazy, it's REALLY lazy.

But anyway, the post is not about that. One of the features that seem to be liked from that port is the x2 Exp and Zenny, removing a lot of grinding from the game and making the random battles a little more worth of your time.

I have seen a lot of comments about wanting (some of them sounded more like demanding, but whatever) this feature for the Super Nintendo version of the game in different places, even more because of the fantastic Retranslation made by Ryusui  and co. that makes the retranslated version of the game the definitive one.

At first I was messing with the rom to find the spell table for the characters, but then I thought: Maybe I can change the exp/zenny thing!

And it was easier than I thought, actually.

So here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv1y3aubwarqxyq/Exp%20Zenny%20x2.rar?dl=0

This will ONLY double exp and zenny from monsters. If the monsters gave no exp or zenny, they'll still give nothing.
This is for a game without a header, and is compatible with the Retranslation.

Although if you want to use it with a retranslation you should have an SRM save file that made the "translation test" before.
Is as easy as just booting the retranslated game, let it do it's own thing, and when it's finished and got to the main menu of the game, close it and patch the ROM with the exp/Zenny x2 patch.

Or just use your previous save file.

I will do more tests later, but if someone is interested in it you can give it a try before uploading it to the database.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire II SNES - Exp & Money x2
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:15:14 pm »
Though I'm committed to the gba version I do think people will like this you should upload it to the site, also do you know where to find spell damage or encounter rate in a hex editor?

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 02:51:36 am »
I haven't found any of those two yet, although If I remember right, there was an old post about the encounter rate...

Yeah, here it is:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14229.0

I tried it a bit (not much as my hack needed high encounter rates to check monster's exp and zenny, lol) and it actually lowers down the encounters. For example i was able  going from Hometown to the brigde or the mountains  without any encounters a couple of times, and most of the times with only one fight.

I think you can notice it more in caves or dungeons than in the overworld, but either way it lowers random encounters just enough.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:45:38 am »
I'm sad that I can't help test this out--Unlike the last game you hacked Maeson, I've been a HUGE fan of BoF 2 since it came out when I was a kid.  Ryusui's retranslation was like Xmas and my Birthday rolled into one!

I'd like to also vote for no changes in the encounter rates--the only place I remember hating them was in the final dungeon, because it was SO long.  Although now, I think all those encounters make the endgame that much more epic--if someone wanted to do something to alleviate them, they could maybe hack the way the smokebombs work?  If I remember right, they were relatively useless in the regular game, but if you upped their effectiveness, you could definitely alleviate the encounter rate (if you really hated it that much) without killing some of the mood.  I personally felt the difficulty made BoF 2 one of the darker SNES games just due to my characters being so damn killable throughout large parts of the game (and especially endgame).  Just my opinion of course

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 08:47:46 am »
If you're busy don't worry, after all this is just what the name says, so it's easy to check for myself with an enemy list from Gamefaqs or something like that. I just wanted to share in case someone wanted to try.

Also, don't worry about the encounter rate, If I would make such change it would be in a different patch.
And even then I don't know if I should do it, as I just repeated what Justin3009 said. It wouldn't be very honest.

I did mess with it a little just for pure curiosity. And I wouldn't even mentioned if it wasn't for ThegreatBen's question. The encounter rate for me is only annoying in a few places that were designed to be annoying to begin with (Damn you, spiral room), so it's not a big issue for me.

About the smoke bombs, I think they have some use, and sometimes they can be useful and work as intended, it's just that the way the game works they don't feel like much most of the time.

The same happens with the Smoke spell.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 03:57:19 am »
I already tested it and it worked well. it saved me quite a bit of time of doing the same thing over and over again.

But then I tried to upload it, and it seems the person who looked into it didn't like it and rejected the hack, saying " RHDN does not host cheat hacks.".

Which i find hilarious, seeing how there are a nice number of hacks that make your characters have max-stats and nothing more; something easilly obtained by using codes, and what this hack does is add a feature that the GBA version had and people seemed to want in the SNES version, as it's seen as the superior one (Either because visuals, music, or the retranslation).

I also see a pretty big diffence between just "adding a cheat code into the rom" and editing monster stats in a hex editor. But who am i to argue.

I'm not going to bother to try again, so I guess this patch will be lost in time after a short while, if someone want it I guess he/she will need to dig to get it.

I'm Sorry for the inconvenience. At least I will leave the dropbox link as long as I can.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 04:11:00 am »
RHDN doesn't accept cheat hacks? What? Since when?

What about all of JCE's easy mode hacks? What about the Lufia 1 speedup hack, which is literally a GameGenie code applied to the game? What about Reiska's Phantasy Star II 4x EXP and meseta mod? What about the GBC Castlevania speedup hacks?

Edit - I'm going to save this, because when the last Breath of Fire hack that everyone wanted (BoFI GBA color restoration.) up and vanished, no one was ever able to recover it.

If you're reading this years down the line, contact me. I'm putting it on my Mediafire, on Ze Bucket, emailing it to myself, and putting it on my external hard drive.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 05:07:36 am »
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. There are several hacks that do things like these.

And thank you for wanting to preserve this file, but rest asure I won't be deleting it from my dropbox anytime soon (or anytime at all). That said, do as you please as I don't mind, and after all, the intention was to share it with all those who would want it, lol.

I've been there too, looking for something just to find a link that doesn't have the file any longer, that's why I don't have any intention for removing it, I don't want to be that a$#hole.

I will update the rar file on the first post for the one I was going to upload, with a small readme. -DONE.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:33:21 am by Maeson »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 08:48:54 pm »
I think I have the most recent version.

Here's the Ze Bucket link:
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Exp-Zenny-x2.rar

And my Mediafire link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qfol5a8czuw7g5b/Exp-Zenny-x2.rar

And I'm emailing it to myself now.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 04:11:01 am »
You have the correct version!

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 08:56:41 pm »
Okay this is a necropost for sure but I came across this hack while modding a copy of Breath of Fire with Ryusui/D4S' retranslation and found it necessary. How would it be a cheat if it actually offers less EXP than the GBA version? This may be something to bring up (in context) with NightCrawler himself as this may be a special case since it's not just "double exp/zenny" so much as its an improvement patch which better balances the game and brings it more in line with the GBA version. I'm glad to see vivify93's positive position on this as i'm inclined to agree.

Apologies for bringing this up so many years later, it just kinda rubbed me the wrong way that this got generalized the way it did.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 04:16:58 am »
Such powerful necropost that brought me back from the dead!

I've always believed that anyone should have the right to make their hacks whichever way they want (as long as they don't come from a place of hate or stuff like that), different people have different points of view and intentions with their hacks, after all.

And while these types of patches are "simpler" compared to other, more complex projects, they still can offer some improvement to the experience to the player, specially the pacing that the increased experience and money can bring to old RPGs, so in my eyes they still have value. Not everything should be years-long projects!

I was quite baffled back then when it got rejected because the reasoning was a bit odd to say the least, specially since there were "cheat hacks" before and there have been a number of "x2 exp & money" hacks to be released since then (like for Dragon Quest games).

...But you know what?

In a way, I'm even happy it got rejected. It gave me the push to try to make something more, and while it took me quite some time to get it finished, I ended making a more complete modification of the game that made me feel way more satisfied with the game, which I released back in 2017.

For example, looking back, x2 Exp wasn't enough to bring the game to a better overall pace in my humble opinion. But increased Exp in combination with changes to the Exp Tables for each character, the game felt a lot better, because then you can optimize it for characters that go missing for a long time, or join later and such (or characters that take much longer to level up than others). Of course, there were many other changes but that's just one related to this.

In any case, I wish the best of lucks for you and your hack, and I'm happy to see that the old dropbox link is still working. It takes a lot of you to leave a rar file unattended for years, I tell you.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 01:52:05 pm »
Such powerful necropost that brought me back from the dead!

I've always believed that anyone should have the right to make their hacks whichever way they want (as long as they don't come from a place of hate or stuff like that), different people have different points of view and intentions with their hacks, after all.

And while these types of patches are "simpler" compared to other, more complex projects, they still can offer some improvement to the experience to the player, specially the pacing that the increased experience and money can bring to old RPGs, so in my eyes they still have value. Not everything should be years-long projects!

I was quite baffled back then when it got rejected because the reasoning was a bit odd to say the least, specially since there were "cheat hacks" before and there have been a number of "x2 exp & money" hacks to be released since then (like for Dragon Quest games).

...But you know what?

In a way, I'm even happy it got rejected. It gave me the push to try to make something more, and while it took me quite some time to get it finished, I ended making a more complete modification of the game that made me feel way more satisfied with the game, which I released back in 2017.

For example, looking back, x2 Exp wasn't enough to bring the game to a better overall pace in my humble opinion. But increased Exp in combination with changes to the Exp Tables for each character, the game felt a lot better, because then you can optimize it for characters that go missing for a long time, or join later and such (or characters that take much longer to level up than others). Of course, there were many other changes but that's just one related to this.

In any case, I wish the best of lucks for you and your hack, and I'm happy to see that the old dropbox link is still working. It takes a lot of you to leave a rar file unattended for years, I tell you.

If this is allowed (https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/848/) then yours absolutely should be allowed. I think you should resubmit and message Nightcrawler and link him to this thread. He's a cool guy and is constantly on top of the ever evolving policy and frankly I think this one just slipped through the cracks. Just make sure to write in the description that it's to bring the exp/zenny system more in line with the GBA release because this really is a balance hack more than anything. It's certainly not a cheat when the grinding is still substantial even with double exp/zenny and anyone who had actually played the game would know that. I love your BoF2 Maeson hack too. I was going to do a full Lets Play but Ryusui/D4S lured me away with their retranslation and enhancement. Your complete overhaul from everything from magic, to shaman combos to character balance. I wish I could use both at once. I know Maeson already does this but it might be a nice option for those that want a less grindy version of vanilla. <3

Side note, BoF2 Maeson is about to break 3k downloads ^_^

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 05:54:29 am »
If this is allowed (https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/848/) then yours absolutely should be allowed. I think you should resubmit and message Nightcrawler and link him to this thread. He's a cool guy and is constantly on top of the ever evolving policy and frankly I think this one just slipped through the cracks. Just make sure to write in the description that it's to bring the exp/zenny system more in line with the GBA release because this really is a balance hack more than anything. It's certainly not a cheat when the grinding is still substantial even with double exp/zenny and anyone who had actually played the game would know that. I love your BoF2 Maeson hack too. I was going to do a full Lets Play but Ryusui/D4S lured me away with their retranslation and enhancement. Your complete overhaul from everything from magic, to shaman combos to character balance. I wish I could use both at once. I know Maeson already does this but it might be a nice option for those that want a less grindy version of vanilla. <3

Sorry for the late reply!

Let's see...

I could submit it again I suppose, if there's interest for it. I could also check the small hacking notes I still have, clean them up some and add it for an extra. It's not much, but hey, it may be useful, besides the game is pretty workable with just a hex editor.

You can use both Ryusui's fantastic retranslation and my hack, that's why I wanted to go on with this hack in the first place. There are instructions in the readme, but I still remember them:

Grab your clean rom, and patch it with the retranslation.
Run it in your favourite emulator, and let it do the first check, let it go to the title screen and then close it so it creates the .SAV / .SRM save file (it's the important part!).
Patch the retranslated rom with my patch.

And there you go, both the retranslation and my hack. I've fully played through it several times, so I know it works. The only real issue is that the hack checks itself but if you patch my hack (or modify it in any way) it will say it's not correct, but once the check is correct the first time it never uses it again (as long as you have a save file with the check positively done).

What-checks the hack's page- Damn, it already is over 3.000 downloads.

...That's like twenty times more I expected. Damn. I hope at least 5% of those enjoyed it, lol.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 06:12:45 am by Maeson »

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 10:11:53 am »
You know, it's funny. having the .srm file there was the last thing I tried before getting it all working (and I did, i've now recorded like 12 episodes. I credited you for this in the description of the first episode) but it's strange to me that I didn't save it once in 3 hours of rigorous back and forth testing. I'm such a derp XD

Double EXP is actually a lot better than the Triple EXP from GBA. I feel like SOME grinding is good and necessary. It's how you get enemy item drops and encounter rare spawns (like c.slimes) and such. If you plow through the whole game I feel like you miss things you're meant to appreciate. The base game was definitely too grinding but by simply doubling I feel you you remove that. Adding the Double zenny makes it well worth it too because anyone who has played Breath of Fire 2 standard knows just how many damn roasts they need to sell to upgrade their equipment. ^_^;;

It's a shame there are so few Breath of Fire II hacks to be honest. It'd be nice to see the tradeable items from the GBA version added in, increased chance of item drops, 3-4 variants of the same hack, alternate title screen mods, some badly written post-game story add-ons and a few half-finished, ridiculous ambitious projects like adding in BoF3 style masters and stuff like that XD Breath of Fire 2, The whole Soul Blazer series (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia & Terranigma) and Secret of Evermore all have very little or no hacks and I don't understand why when they're all some of the greatest games from the golden era of RPGs.

Who knows, maybe there will be some day but expect a few more downloads since Breath of Fire II just released on Switch Online ;)

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 05:51:23 pm »
No worries, everybody has those dumb moments, I know.

I agree with you, I value when things take some effort to achieve. If there's no challenge in doing something, it kinda makes the thing itself feel pointless most of the time for me. Of course I also think it's a game-by-game affair, but the satisfaction you get by succeeding after struggling or having to think out your actions and engage with the tools a game gives you, is when I really enjoy gaming.

Yeah, it would be cool to see more hacks for less popular games (I looked myself into many to see what I could do, even if my hacking skills are very limited), but when people develop amazing tools for the more popular ones and do tons of research, makes sense most of the attention go to them. At least games such as Ogre Battle had some fun mods out there!

I don't like to talk with which games I mess around, but I did play a bit with Breath of Fire 3 while making my hack for BoF 2, some things are very easy to edit, I remember making a small hack which reduced the grinding for master's skills (and what stats they affect), the characters' stat growths and some spells, other things seemed pretty tricky to do though.

And now that you mention the SNES games through Switch's online service, it's true that putting BoF 2 there has brought some interest to the game, I've seen friends that don't usually care about old games asking me about it recently.

I just wish the version of the game in that service had at least the retranslation so I could recommend them to play it there...