News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: FFMQ Sucks  (Read 7950 times)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
FFMQ Sucks
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:35:14 am »
Rather than derail the other thread, I'll rant about FFMQ here.

Reasons why FFMQ is a terrible RPG:

1)  There are no surprises.  You see enemies coming, you see bosses coming, you see the "plot" (and I use that term loosely) coming.

2)  There are no consequences.  Lose a fight?  So what!  The game starts you at the beginning of the fight.

3)  There is no thought.  With the exception of boss battles, every enemy is a 1-hit KO for your ally, or a 2-hit KO for you (until end game where everything is 2-hit KOs).  Occasionally you can mix it up by 1-hit KOing with a bomb, or by using a spell, but whatever.  The point is it's mindless.

4)  Money is stupid.  What is there to buy in this game?  Seeds?

5)  Seeds are OP.  White White White White Seed White White White White Seed.  And since you literally have nothing else to spend money on... there's no reason not to spam the hell out of it as soon as seeds become available for purchase.

6)  Fights are either no-brainers or are a coin flip.  Fighting two of those Medusa clones (forget the name).  Normally not a big deal... you can kill them in 1-2 rounds.  But if they both go first and petrify you?  You lose!  Nothing you could have done.  The game just decided that it wanted to kill you.  Nevermind there's a stretch where you're expected to fight them 1-on-1 ... which increases the odds you'll get shafted unfairly.  Maybe this explains point #2 -- maybe they knew the fights were so stupid that they had to make it so that there were no consequences for death.  Hell even the opening introductory battle against the behemoth is impossible if he criticals you.

WTF is the point?  The game is as fun as rolling a die:  If you roll a 1, you lose.  But if you roll a 2-6, you win!  Yay!  Wasn't that fun?

7)  Boss fights are stupid.  One person attacks, one person heals.  Or if the boss misses or does a weak attack then you can have a round where both attack.  There's no strategy apart from that.  The only boss that KIND OF mixes it up is Pazuzu ... with his wing thing that deflects magic.  But all that does is drag the fight out because you can't use magic -- it doesn't change your strategy.

8)  Running never fails (except for bosses I guess).  Again keeping with the theme of no consequences.

It's the most brain-dead RPG I've ever played.  Hell, even Dragon Warrior for NES (which I also hate), as mind-numbing and as much of a grind-fest as it was, it at least had variety with enemies and had some puzzles to figure out.  FFMQ's only puzzles are flipping switches and poking things with your sword.  Which aren't even puzzles because they don't require thought:   You see a switch, you flip it.

The dragon claw and the jumping were gimmicks that added little to the game.  They're neat I guess, or at least they would have been if they were added to a game that wasn't worthless.  But they're simply not enough to make up for the rest of the ass that is this POS game.

Its only redeeming quality is its amazing soundtrack.

EDIT:

Also... @Chpexo:
I can't agree that this is a bad game, just below mediocre.

Isn't "below mediocre" the same thing as "bad"?

'mediocre' is the median between good and bad.  So if it's below the median that makes it bad, right?  ;P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:56:24 am by Disch »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: FFMQ Sucks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 01:01:17 am »
It's not perfect, that's for sure. If it didn't require so much grinding I would probably play all the way through it again. But I probably won't otherwise. I wish there was an editor for it. I'm sure a much better game could me manufactured using it's engine.

At the end of the day I don't think it's terrible because sometimes I just want something simple.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:07:47 am »
FFMQ had grinding?

To me, grinding is when you are doing nothing but hunting for bad guys to fight so you can power up.  I never found myself doing this in FFMQ (it would even be hard to, since you have to exit the map for enemies to respawn)

It's not that FFMQ made you grind... you actually could go through it just fine only fighting guys you run into (and I guess the battlefields).  It's just that the game itself was so damn boring.

At the end of the day I don't think it's terrible because sometimes I just want something simple.

I guess there's something to be said for that.  I veg out with Solitaire + music every so often because I don't really have to think, and I can just unwind.  In that case, I can see FFMQ being a game you'd want to play.  You certainly don't have to think for it.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:14:00 am »
To me, grinding is when you are doing nothing but hunting for bad guys to fight so you can power up.  I never found myself doing this in FFMQ (it would even be hard to, since you have to exit the map for enemies to respawn)

I don't know man. I don't think you would stand a chance against the bosses if you didn't grind. You don't get enough resources to pull that off.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:31:22 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:06:04 am by Chpexo »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:49:42 am »
It was on the SNES, Chpexo.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 02:00:02 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:04:07 am by Chpexo »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:02:48 am »
Yeah I guess that could be said of all the genres on the NES. The ratio of good to bad has to be like 50/1 for that console.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:18:17 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:03:36 am by Chpexo »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 03:27:23 am »
This thread might as well be named "Water is wet"  ;D
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 03:38:58 am »
Well, it was designed as "Baby's first RPG". Seriously. It was made for beginners and people who balked at the complexities of its grandfather, the Final Fantasy series.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 04:06:17 am »
@Dish: All your points are indeed correct, and are indeed significant flaws of FFMQ. Nevertheless you forgot to see the good side of the game, when I was a kid I liked it a lot.

• The music is amazing
  • There is a lot of fun puzzles
  • You can use your weapon on the field, which is fun
  • The music is really amazing
  • You can jump, and fall down to water fall, climb walls, and other fun stuff that other FF games does not allow
  • It's true battle are boring, but it's fun seeing your enemies' graphic progressing in a "worse" condition when they're weakened. No other Final Fantasy game, no matter how recent, does that
  • You can avoid battles which is great, considering they're so boring

Overall I'd say it's correct to say FFMQ is mediocre, but it doesn't suck all that much.

FFMQ had grinding?
Defintiely not, in fact you could avoid a lot of fights if you wanted to. All the overworld fights are optional and so are many dungeon fights.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:46:15 am by Bregalad »

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 04:57:30 am »
In other news, RPGs are easy, and Baby's First RPG is even easier than that.

As a side note, just about every FF game from that time period all the way to 12, with a handful of exceptions for spinoffs (most easy in their own genre), were also a joke in terms of difficulty.

If you're looking for difficult RPGs then you're looking towards the wrong series or, at the very least, you're looking towards series 15-20 years too early.

I Still take issue with FFVI being so easy, and VII, and VIII... and the list goes on.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 05:07:28 am »
The "difficulty" of a RPG is how much patience the required grinding takes.

Unless it's SMT, then it's how well you can memorize the weaknesses of 10 enemies at a time.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Spooniest

• View Profile
The red headed stepchild of the final fantasy series
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 05:35:51 am »
I speak of course of Mystic Quest.

I believe it is referred to overseas as Final Fantasy USA, or perhaps that was simply a working title.

Everyone loves the music! But the game is a big steaming heap of crap, or so I have heard.

Expound on your violent love for mystic quest, or if you a hater, then get hatin'.

It has the unfortunate blessing of the final fantasy title, imho. We wouldn't be bashing it if its brothers and sisters weren't superior.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: The red headed stepchild of the final fantasy series
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 06:30:47 am »
I feel like there are many, many more "red-headed step children" of FF than MQ these days.

I actually didn't like much of anything about FFMQ--everything was so very linear and generic.  And I'm normally the guy that pooh-pooh's people complaining about linearity and generic plots in games.  The music is not even close to good enough to redeem it.  IMO it's middle of the road.

It was the only RPG my brothers and I had on our SNES for a few years, however, so we had to make due.

I would submit any FF7 spinoff (Dirge of Cerberus/Crisis Core/Advent Children) and FF X-2 are far, far worse than Mystic Quest, if only because their very existence cheapens games I actually like, whereas Mystic Quest being terrible only affects my view of Mystic Quest.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 07:25:07 am »
Oops.

I didn't see this thread, lol

About the music:

To be honest, it is well composed, but not particularly well mixed or paced. It's super caffeinated and full of energy, but if the game attached to it is such a steaming heap of shit sandwiches, then it doesn't really make a difference, other than giving people something to point to that wasn't shitty about the game.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 07:33:13 am »
The "difficulty" of a RPG is how much patience the required grinding takes.
Yes and no. If you're the kind of guy that grinds when you're defeated, then you are correct. Personally I'd try to use strategy by using the combat system optimally before even trying to grind, because I really don't like grinding.

If the combat system is so simple than anything other than physical attack is a total waste of time (Dragon Quest series, I'm looking at you), then your statement is correct.

It has the unfortunate blessing of the final fantasy title, imho. We wouldn't be bashing it if its brothers and sisters weren't superior.
In many ways, FFMQ is more part of the SaGa series than Final Fantasy series.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:45:34 am by Bregalad »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 01:06:03 pm »
Defintiely not, in fact you could avoid a lot of fights if you wanted to. All the overworld fights are optional and so are many dungeon fights.

You guys seem to be missing the point here. It's not that the game requires you to fight a bunch of battles by forcing you into them. Yes, you can skip most battles. But NO, you will NOT be able to defeat the bosses if you do not fight a bunch of battles to level up. You won't have enough spells to take advantage of the bosses weaknesses. You won't have enough life to sustain the damage the bosses cause. You won't have picked up enough items along the way to heal yourself once your spells run out (or cure poison). Since I have actually beaten this game at least 3 times (and have played through most of it without finishing it about the same amount of times) I will require video evidence to believe otherwise.

It's true battle are boring, but it's fun seeing your enemies' graphic progressing in a "worse" condition when they're weakened. No other Final Fantasy game, no matter how recent, does that

I forgot about that. That was cool. Especially for those difficult boss battles. It was exciting to actually be able to tell that you were wearing your enemies down.

You can jump, and fall down to water fall, climb walls, and other fun stuff that other FF games does not allow
You can use your weapon on the field, which is fun

Agreed. The "field" in most FF games is just for wandering around, waiting to be attacked out of nowhere.

There is a lot of fun puzzles

I don't remember there being "a lot" of them but yeah there were a few fun puzzles centered around pushing columns so that you could jump from here to there.

Well, it was designed as "Baby's first RPG". Seriously. It was made for beginners and people who balked at the complexities of its grandfather, the Final Fantasy series.

I think there is a good point here. It's a beginner's RPG and to judge it by the standards of most RPGs I think is unfair. Besides the Zelda games (which are actually action-adventure) FFMQ was in fact the very first RPG that I had ever played and served as a good introduction to the Final Fantasy series as a kid. After playing it, when I found FFII not long after, I was ready for it and welcomed the added depth and complexity.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 02:52:04 pm »
Ah, FFMQ... It has it's goods and bads, but I have fond (and not so fond) memories of it. I notice the European version's rom doesn't have the Final Fantasy logo stamped on it lol.

It's music is a definite fond memory for me. Sure, some of it sounds out of place, but others.. my god I love it.  My favorite tracks include:

Normal Battle theme - One of the main reasons I'd take on all the battlefields.
Boss Battle Theme - Easily my all time favorite normal boss theme in an RPG. It's like metal music for your SNES.
Tower theme - Even though it would fit a castle more than it would it a tower, it's still a great song. (hmm...)
Final Dungeon theme - More snes metal! With an intense melody to boot.

I personally liked the little gimmicks they threw into the game. Some of them were used in other games, like cutting trees down with an axe in Final Fantasy Adventure
or jumping in FFLIII.

As stated by others, it's a beginner's/casual rpg, and actually a rather good one compared to others I've seen.  Play Tecmo's Secret of the Stars (SNES) or Astonisha Story (PSP) for 5 minutes.  At least you can have some fun with Mystic Quest, especially compared to these god awful piles of garbage.

I think what ended up being the noose around MQ's neck was that the developers spent more time on the gameplay gimmicks, and less time on refining the battle system. Granted, I enjoyed those gimmicks, but I would've gladly taken a 3rd charcters and some more varied enemy AI over one or more of the tools. 

Like SunGodPortal said, a pretty kickass game could be made out of MQ with the right tools/know-how.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!