News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Ys Chronicles I+II  (Read 1812 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Ys Chronicles I+II
« on: May 21, 2015, 11:41:05 pm »
Just purchased these as a pair from the steam store.

Two games oozing classicness and awesomeness.

I've tried to play Ys many times before, but the only one I got into was Ys III, which I believe I beat after many failures.

Ever played these? No spoilers please!

Expound on the goodness that is Ys, or your unbridled hatred of it. Or something in between those two admittedly extreme points of view.

Cheers~!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Ys Chronicles I+II
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:41:09 am »
If all you've played is Ys III, then you're in for a... well, I'm not sure. Chronicles can feel a bit dated, but that's because it uses the classic style of Ys combat - slam into an enemy (at an angle) to kill it. It's fast-paced but it can be a little off-putting. My recommendation is that if these don't do it for you, invest in Oath In Felghana, which is a retool of Ys III using the Ark of Napishtim (Ys VI) engine. Combat is still very fast-paced, but it feels a bit more modern in that you actually have a button to swing your sword, and even some rudimentary combos. It's quite good. My personal favorite is Origin which also uses the Ark engine, but shouldn't be played until after you've gone through Chronicles.

Fun fact, did you know that Ys III was originally going to be an unnumbered gaiden? The original plan was to release it simply as "Wanderers from Ys." Makes sense, especially given that in series chronology it comes after Ys IV.

Edit: As a note, avoid enemies until you reach Minea. You'll get some free money which you should spend on equipment, and that will make killing enemies a _lot_ easier.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:41:59 am »
I hear you can swap out the soundtrack with the arrangements from some of the orchestral albums for an even better experience.

I really should play those one of these days.

It would be cool if that Korean version of Ys II for DOS ever got translated, but I guess that's not happening.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:40:59 am »
Ys 1's final boss is so shitty it ruined the whole game for me sadly. Don't remember anything about Ys 2 even though I just played it last year or so. Might be alzheimers settling in or it just wasn't memorable at all.

The series only gets brilliant with Oath of Felghana/Ark of Napishtim and then everything till Seven. Seven was terrible too sadly. Haven't tried Celceta yet because of that.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:03:29 am »
The final boss for Ys 1 is nowhere near as bad as that goddamned Bat demony fuck who should go die in a fire of acid, flame and the saltiest piss known to man and machine.

Holy Shit, do I hate that boss and everything to do with him.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:44:28 am »
Edit: As a note, avoid enemies until you reach Minea. You'll get some free money which you should spend on equipment, and that will make killing enemies a _lot_ easier.

Is *that* why I always got killed at this game!?

I've always wanted to play thru it but I never read any guides or anything. good to know!

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 10:58:00 pm »
The series only gets brilliant with Oath of Felghana/Ark of Napishtim and then everything till Seven. Seven was terrible too sadly. Haven't tried Celceta yet because of that.
What did you find so bad about that one? I liked that game a lot more than Ys VI.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 03:41:37 am »
What did you find so bad about that one? I liked that game a lot more than Ys VI.

Having a party didn't add anything gameplay wise except more annoying micro management. The AI controlled character's damage was artificially limited, if the AI decided to attack at all instead of standing around. So it was just a couple of extra HP bars (that controlled worse than Adol) you had to switch to. Also, Ys was never big on story. It was always a useless throwaway story about the chosen one having to kill some ancient evil. And that was fine because it didn't get in the way of the excellent action. In Ys 7 it feels like they upped the talking and cutscene time by a factor of 10. Only the story is still the same shit. And it does get in the way and they are massively wasting your time with it.

Then when it came to the final boss and I saw that I was fucked because I hadn't levelled and equipped my whole entourage, it was time to put the game down and never look back.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:09 am »
Must say I'm thoroughly enjoying these games! Gosh. I wonder why I never got into them before?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 10:29:21 am »
This is currently on sale at GOG, along with Ys Origin and Oath in Felghana.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.