News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Link to the Past GBA Voice Hack?  (Read 2835 times)

GrifCreeper

• View Profile
Link to the Past GBA Voice Hack?
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:26:57 am »
Is there somewhere to still download a hack of the GBA version of Link to the Past that replaces the (in my opinion) awful Young Link voices the GBA version added in with the original "voice" clips from the SNES version?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:14:28 am by GrifCreeper »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Link to the Past GBA Voice Hack?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 12:14:27 pm »
You must be thinking of something else. There's a hack like this for The Minish Cap, but not for ALttP as far as I know.

I noticed voice is in quotation marks (so correct me if I mistunderstood what you are looking for) but there are NO voices in the SNES A Link to the Past. I'm quite certain of that.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

GrifCreeper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:25:52 pm »
I noticed voice is in quotation marks (so correct me if I mistunderstood what you are looking for) but there are NO voices in the SNES A Link to the Past. I'm quite certain of that.

That is exactly the reason I used the quotes. It isn't exactly a voice, but it was replaced by Young Link's voice, so it was the best way I could describe it.

May 16, 2015, 12:45:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I forgot about this part when I first replied
You must be thinking of something else. There's a hack like this for The Minish Cap, but not for ALttP as far as I know.

I remember there used to be a hack that replaced the voice in the GBA version with the sounds from the SNES version, but every link I tried lead to a dead download.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:45:11 pm by GrifCreeper »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 01:04:55 pm »
If it exists and it isnt here GBAtemp is the only other place I can think of.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:20 pm »
Young Link...?
Pah Link is no child in Alttp, but a young man around the same age of Adult Link.
See the artwork.
http://www.oocities.org/zeldas_castle/Zelda3_art6.gif

GrifCreeper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 01:44:58 pm »
Young Link...?

I probably should've clarified that the GBA version of ALttP uses the sound clips of Young Link from OoT. And the fact that Link from ALttP was definitely not a kid helps solidify my reasoning for the voice clips just being an awful idea.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 02:16:15 pm »
I probably should've clarified that the GBA version of ALttP uses the sound clips of Young Link from OoT. And the fact that Link from ALttP was definitely not a kid helps solidify my reasoning for the voice clips just being an awful idea.
I know. :P

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 10:12:03 pm »
And the fact that Link from ALttP was definitely not a kid helps solidify my reasoning for the voice clips just being an awful idea.

Link's age in the 2D games is a bit of an odd issue. He's definitely a teenager at the youngest in the artwork Katsuya Terada drew for early guides, but the GBA remake and ALBW use basically the same art style as the Oracles games, where he looks a lot younger.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 10:14:35 pm »
Link's age in the 2D games is a bit of an odd issue. He's definitely a teenager at the youngest in the artwork Katsuya Terada drew for early guides, but the GBA remake and ALBW use basically the same art style as the Oracles games, where he looks a lot younger.

Very good point. Link can only be chronologically younger than he is in the (Since they take place after ALttP) Oracle games and there he looks maybe 13-16 at most. By Link's Awakening he seems to be a full-fledged teenager, clearly 16-19 years old.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 01:00:51 am »
Just because it is the artstyle it doesn't mean he is a kid.
The Oracle games were not developed with the current timeline in mind.
That happened later with Hyrule Historia.
Princess Zelda doesn't even causally greet Link.
It is like they have never met before.

Anyways, a good hack can change anything.
Allow me a little alteration:

Din: "So you are the Hero of Hyrule and Master of the Triforce... How I know it is you? Your Triforce marking on the back of your hand is the prove. Only those who have proven themselves worthy of Wisdom, Power and Courage carry the sacred symbol, which indicates that they can use the Triforce. This person is you Link."

Onox: "This is the young man who defeated my lord and master?! Impossible... That a worm like you could be the legendary hero... Laughable... If you were him, I would have atleast expected a formidable opponent. Anyway... You along with all the other mortals shall witness the destruction of this land. Enjoy your last days... They will be your last. Fufufu..."

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:50:44 am »
I always assumed that the Oracle games were designed as a prequel to Link's Awakening, given the former two introduced Link to Zelda and Ganon, and the latter game referenced both of them. If anything, all evidence points directly against the Oracle games being a direct sequel to any Zelda game.

IIMarckus

• Something terrible has happened here!
    • View Profile
    • IIMarckus’s homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 02:35:47 am »
I always assumed that the Oracle games were designed as a prequel to Link's Awakening, given the former two introduced Link to Zelda and Ganon, and the latter game referenced both of them. If anything, all evidence points directly against the Oracle games being a direct sequel to any Zelda game.
The Oracles are clearly a prequel to Link’s Awakening (for example, the boat at the end of Oracles), but Link’s Awakening was also clearly a sequel to ALttP (e.g., notice the manifestation of nightmares as Moldorm, Agahnim and ALttP Ganon). Hyrule Historia confirmed the timeline as being ALttP → Oracles → Link’s Awakening.

The only indication otherwise is the fact that Zelda and Link don’t appear to have met before in Oracles. But that could be attributed to any number of things without messing this up (poor translation of dialogue, same Link but different Zelda, or just an oversight).