News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Megaman 3 Improvement 2.3  (Read 19983 times)

kuja killer

• View Profile
Re: Megaman 3 Improvement 2.3
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2021, 08:21:58 pm »
I'm not really sure what to say. :( because it works fine for me. down first then tapping select.

unless you accidently patched this over an existing mm3 improve 2.22 which i do "not" recommend cause it will not be compatible. Only start from a fresh mm3 rom.

i checked mm3 revamped real quick and it works there. i actually wrote the code for it on mm3 revamped, so i just copied it over here to mm3 improve. and it worked the same and everything.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2021, 08:58:37 pm »
Very strange. I patched the latest Improvement over an unmodified MM3 US no-intro rom, and I see this issue. Could it be the no-intro rom that is causing the issue? I used this rom for the 2.22 version of the patch and it worked without issue.

Out of curiosity, I tried patching Rockman 3 with the Rockman 3 Improvement patch, and the same behaviour is present there too.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2021, 09:10:04 pm »
could be rom, but i just dont know to be honest.
these are mine:
RockMan3.nes - Tuesday, March 18, 1997, 12:36:42 AM
MegaMan3.nes - Monday,    May 19, 1997,  9:36:04 PM

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2021, 09:18:28 pm »
Oh well. It's hardly game breaking, so unless other people report the issue it may be a fluke for me. Thanks for checking!

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2021, 09:23:08 pm »
yea well hope it's not a problem. i dont even like select + up/down anyways, since i dont got a USB controller. just plain regular computer keyboard.

I would perfer just setting to A and B on controller 2, that's easier for me. i didn't set it up that way cause every other mm hack does this up/down method so i just followed along like everyone else.

Emsi-D

• Watching the morning sun rise above
    • View Profile
    • Mortal Kombat Trilogy XE
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2021, 09:40:59 pm »
kuja killer, glad to see you are still making updates to this wonderful project.
About 7 or 8 years ago I was making a level hack based on Rockman 3 Improvement.
Spoiler:

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2021, 10:12:36 pm »
It's not a problem for me, honestly. I tend to use the weapon swap early in the game, but after getting the full inventory I usually end up pausing to switch weapons because I find it faster to find what I'm looking for that way. Thanks again for all your hard work and for looking into this!

Select and up/down is not great, and it's not exactly a natural motion for NES games, I'm with you there. I remember seeing a Batman NES hack that enabled use of L/R buttons on a SNES controller for use in FCEUX, for weapon swapping. Only thing I miss from the PS2 Anniversary Collection ports.

EDIT: Okay, so here's a thing. I originally tested it in OpenEmu on my Mac, and the weapon switching doesn't work. I tested it in lr-nestopia on my RetroPie build... and it works perfectly. Did not expect that. So apparently this really IS a problem on my end, just not the problem I expected!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:25:42 pm by G30FF »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2021, 11:55:42 am »
Woot! Great to see n update for this! The updates for hacking and manual edits are much appreciated!!

NOTE TO SELF: This talk about the weapon select makes me wonder how difficult it would to do a version of the weapon select from MM11 with only 1 visible weapon at a time. And maybe having select on it's own cycle rush.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:03:41 pm by Vanya »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2021, 04:11:13 pm »
Thanks for the update and your work on this game overall kuja killer. And thanks for the manual edits!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2021, 04:31:08 pm »
I can confirm the bug that G30FF reported. Same thing is going on.

EDIT: I've tried about a half a dozen different roms including one with the date you listed and they are all behaving the same.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:04:43 pm by Vanya »

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2021, 06:39:37 pm »
well like i said, i just do not know. its still fine here. maybe it's a keyboard versus controller thing...i dont know. I dont have USB controllers of my own.
And it works fine on fceux, nestopia, and nintendulator. Those are the only emulators i can test. I'm on windows XP.

Or... check this option in your guy's emu's called "allow up/down and left/right" ..whatever that's called in other emulators. This is turned on for me in fceux.. maybe it could be that.

kuja killer, glad to see you are still making updates to this wonderful project.
About 7 or 8 years ago I was making a level hack based on Rockman 3 Improvement.
Spoiler:
Looks very cool, i look forward to seeing your hack someday if you finish it. :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 07:12:32 pm by kuja killer »

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2021, 07:02:41 pm »
For me, it turns out to have been my emulator. I tried in the Nestopia core in OpenEmu on Mac, and the problem was there. But as soon as I tried it on lr-nestopia in RetroPie, with the same rom, it worked fine. It's very odd to be sure. But I play on my RetroPie 99.9% of the time anyway, so I'm not too worried!  ;D So to Vanya, I would suggest trying in an alternate emulator if you can. Retroarch seems to work.

Emsi-D

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2021, 11:30:24 pm »
I played an updated version yesterday, and I think it's almost the perfect version of MM3.
Why "almost"? In my opinion, only a few fixes are missing there:

1) Spark Shot is still the least used weapon. The problem is known - the stun effect disappears when switching to other weapons/items

2) In pause menu, the counter of lives and E-tanks is displayed only on the first page
Spoiler:

3) After defeating the final boss, Mega Man's facing = -1
Spoiler:

4) A small suggestion: to upgrade the Top Spin so that you can kill bees with it
Spoiler:

Looks very cool, i look forward to seeing your hack someday if you finish it. :)
Thanks, man. Maybe one day I will finish that hack
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 05:35:30 pm by Emsi-D »

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2021, 11:42:26 pm »
Spark shock/Top Spin is up to the romhacker if they want to change damage values to enemies and such. I do not intend to make this as a normal hack changing all the weapons, level designs, enemy damages. That would break the rules i put on myself. - Cause i wanted for this to be for both normal players, and romhackers.

I would of loved to keep the enemy stun thing after un-equipping Spark Shock, but i really dont have a clue how i would. Because the graphics are limited only to spark shock, they cant be displayed for all other weapons. So that's would be a big ASM project that would have to be made.. :|

Not adding the counters to the 2nd page. No reason to, unless custom stuff was added like W-Tanks or Energy Balancer, for someone's own romhack.

I will note, i did find one interesting piece of code that never get's used. You can actually have 99 E tanks instead of 9... but since the game limited to 9, this small bit of code i found is never triggered. It's cool though.

The game ending thing i didnt feel like cause, he'll actually face right if you use Rush Jet on the left side, then pause, switch to search snake for the last hit.

July 30, 2021, 03:11:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay i just added 1 very quick little update about "face megaman to the right" after gamma battle -- i put in the updates guide that i cant do it for the "laying down" cause that lacks a "facing right" animation data. I hope that's fine though.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 03:11:13 pm by kuja killer »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2021, 06:30:17 pm »
;D So to Vanya, I would suggest trying in an alternate emulator if you can. Retroarch seems to work.

I'm using MESEN. I'll give it a try on a couple of other's but I'm not worried about it. I like MESEN right now, and I'm OG so I use the menu most of the time even if I can use select. Thanks for checking out the other emulators tho. :D

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2021, 07:26:31 pm »
That look like another fun hack of Mega Man 3.
Back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2021, 10:18:17 pm »
That look like another fun hack of Mega Man 3.

Thanks, that means alot. It was also sort of a celebration for passing the 10,000 download mark at some point a couple months ago. :)

I wanted to mention by the way, there's going to be an update sometime soon for "megaman at the tokyo olympics" for the romhacking.net page. It will be the first mm3 hack so far to use the Slippery Floor/Ice property I added to mm improve 2.3 here. :) I wish I could have added that before insectduel's hack was made. But im still happy about it.

Emsi-D

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2021, 12:41:36 am »
Hmm, that MegaFLE X utility has some crash at start
Spoiler:
(It is not launching)

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2021, 03:00:22 am »
first, make sure you have a copy of your original megafle 0.701 folder from here:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/333/

copy or move the edited megafle.exe and the .DAT file i include, to that folder to overwrite those 2 files. This has those required visual basic OCX files.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 03:27:01 am by kuja killer »

Emsi-D

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2021, 06:43:21 am »
kuja killer, I did so. The utility offers to select the ROM, I select the patched ROM "Rockman 3 - Dr. Wily no Saigo! (J)" and then utility crashes with the same error :huh: