News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Megaman 3 Improvement 2.1  (Read 11600 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Megaman 3 Improvement 2.1
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 05:11:58 pm »
That's the one thing I'd like to see added to this as an addendum patch. Perhaps if there is a free byte or even just a bit that could be used as a flag to keep track of that event then the Protoman encounters could be edited to use the Breakman sprite object instead of the Protoman sprite object. And also along with that edit the Breakman sprite object to do more damage with it's larger shots.

This would add more dimension to the player's choice of level order since beating Geminiman early would mean that the Protoman encounters would become more difficult.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 09:16:32 pm »
Oh of course there were quite a few places in RAM "free" already in original un-modified megaman 3 rom. there somewhere between RAM $80-90 i think.

And yea i can understand the proto thing, well I guess it might make the most sense that he would of had his little transform scene probably in the Doc Gemini level ....if that barrier thing was still there, but capcom just made that happen in the normal gemini level who knows why.

I had no idea where it would have belonged to, so i stuck it in the normal gemini. because...maybe that's what capcom "might" have done.

------------------------------------
The pausing thing during proto battles, was so that you can no longer slide-jump past the proto event in gemini to stop the game music and wrong graphics loading. Once i did that edit there, it automatically affected all other proto appearances.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:22:20 pm by kuja killer »

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 12:37:58 am »
Just an idea on Breakman to Protoman transformations: Wouldn't it be more sensible that Breakman appears on Magnetman, Shadowman & Hardman Stages instead of Protoman?

Breakman is an alter ego of Protoman, to evade Dr. Lights recognition, he appears before Megaman as Breakman. THEN Protoman is shown to transforms into Breakman in Geminiman Stage, but Megaman doesn't know anything about his brother's existence, so that event seems like a "Megaman just saw him change but did not affect his identity since MM doesn't know Protoman" thing.
And it doesn't make sense when finally facing Breakman, its odd that Protoman appears with a different helmet and do the same fighting pattern.

tl;dr just change Protoman to Breakman.

I might try that in Roll-chan 3
Spoiler:
or (Roll-chan 3 Improvement v2.1x)
. But that would be for another time.  8)

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 03:29:43 am »
Oh of course there were quite a few places in RAM "free" already in original un-modified megaman 3 rom. there somewhere between RAM $80-90 i think.

And yea i can understand the proto thing, well I guess it might make the most sense that he would of had his little transform scene probably in the Doc Gemini level ....if that barrier thing was still there, but capcom just made that happen in the normal gemini level who knows why.

I had no idea where it would have belonged to, so i stuck it in the normal gemini. because...maybe that's what capcom "might" have done.

------------------------------------
The pausing thing during proto battles, was so that you can no longer slide-jump past the proto event in gemini to stop the game music and wrong graphics loading. Once i did that edit there, it automatically affected all other proto appearances.

Until I read this response, I had never considered the fact that the Breakman encounter in Gemini made NO SENSE where it was. It would definitely have made more sense to include that in the Doc Robot stages, b/c then it would make sense why the crevice was even capped in the first place. Would be kind of cool if that could be swapped, but I don't know if that's possible. I also didn't know about the slide-jump past the event until now, although I've played that game through from start to finish maybe 100 times in my life. I had originally meant in my comment that it would be cool if Proto showed up for the encounter and then went into "battle mode" with the Breakman sprite. I kind of looked at the sprite transition from Gemini like that, like when he puts on the facemask, he's getting ready to fight. Figured since the transition animation was already there in Gemini, it could be applied to the normal fight encounters. I agree though that replacing the Protoman sprite with the Breakman sprites might just make more sense, and might be easier. Again, I LOVE this hack!!! I don't think that it really NEEDS any changes, but these would be cool if you do decide to do any more updating. I'd really like to see MM2 or 4 re-done by you. I think those would be even more excellent with your ideas and changes!!!
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 05:40:36 am »
yea totally understand. It would not be hard at all just making those protoman fights use the breakman sprites. because well, his battle AI is actually 100% shared between those normal stage fights, and the actual "breakman" fight before you go to wily.

The only single difference was just a simple little "level id" check if i recall, that tells which graphics to load before starting the battle AI.

And actually i think it would be possible for anyone to actually move the whole gemini event, to doc gemini even without any ASM knowledge or anythnig. You'd just simply have to make some blocks  in the doc gemini level data with megafle, and then change the level id checks in the code that loads those graphics.

And also place the 2 sprites in the same spot using the enemy editor in MegaFLE.

----------------------------

As much i would love to do a "Megaman 2 Improvement", or 4, or 5. I dont have as much experience with any of the other NES memgaman's. Cause i've only spent my life the most with megaman 3. So it wont happen. :(

It would defintely be leaps and bounds more better than the recent "megaman legacy collection" announced by capcom this past month at E3 ...heh

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 12:24:17 pm »
Actually, the data for the first three encounters is different than the one for the final encounter. Here's my research:

Proto Man (Magnet Man, Hard Man, and Shadow Man encounters):
Health: 28 Units
Needle Cannon: 1 Damage
Magnet Missile: 2 Damage
Gemini Laser: 1 Damage
Hard Knuckle: 4 Damage
Top Spin: 0 Damage
Search Snake: 0 Damage
Spark Shock: 0 Damage
Shadow Blade: 2 Damage

Break Man:
Health: 24 Units
Needle Cannon: 0 Damage
Magnet Missile: 0 Damage
Gemini Laser: 0 Damage
Hard Knuckle: 0 Damage
Shadow Blade: 0 Damage

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 12:30:00 pm »
Actually, the data for the first three encounters is different than the one for the final encounter. Here's my research:

Break Man:

That's actually funny b/c I always felt that the true Breakman fight from the select screen was easier than the random encounters within the game itself. Learning all kinds of neat things haha. I've been up too long  ::)
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:52 pm »

Break Man:

I think Kuja just meant that they are one and the same sprite object and that it checks the level ID to determine which parameters to load which makes a lot of sense because why have the same code duplicated?

And moving the transformation over to the Doc Gemini stage makes a ton of sense. It's the simplest solution, too.
So given that then the only other thing I'd like to do to it is make Breakman's shots stronger and maybe boost up his HP so that he is more of a challenge.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 04:38:31 am »
Is it possible to get his HP displayed?

EDIT: And can he get that "temporary invincibility when damaged" thing?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:25:01 am by Zynk Oxhyde »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 06:05:27 am »
That would certainly be a nice thing.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 09:08:21 am »
I dont know what you mean by "get his HP displayed"

you can see it on the megafle window (at least for the normal battles anyway)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 09:35:04 am »
I wish there was a way to change the color of Protoman's scarf from red to beige to make him look more like his appearance in Mega Man 5 & 6.

http://gamesprays.com/images/icons/Protoman_icon593.jpg

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 10:21:24 am »
I wish there was a way to change the color of Protoman's scarf from red to beige to make him look more like his appearance in Mega Man 5 & 6.

http://gamesprays.com/images/icons/Protoman_icon593.jpg
There is a way  ;)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 11:18:11 am »
There is a way  ;)

Cool. I always found it weird that in 3 & 4, his scarf is red. While in 5 & 6, they fixed it.

zfreeman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 09:05:47 pm »
If I include the patched ROM in the original cartridge, would I need any additional hardware? The mapper is still the same, right?

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 02:25:06 am »
Yes. I own a repro of this. any MMC3 donor should be fine.