News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: What should I try out? MUGEN or Project M?  (Read 1960 times)

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
What should I try out? MUGEN or Project M?
« on: May 15, 2015, 02:36:01 pm »
Hey,

What do you guys think is a more entertaining fighting game. MUGEN or Project M?
For those who are unaware MUGEN is a 2D-fighting game where anyone can create and upload custom content like fighters/stages/etc. so one can have fights like Ronald McDonald vs. Godzilla.

Project M is a mod of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (I don't know how they did it) that allows anyone to create custom characters.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: What should I try out? MUGEN or Project M?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:23:07 pm »
A NeoGeo emulator with a few KoFs and Mark of the Wolves is way better than either...
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 05:34:11 pm »
Or anything that can run Capcom vs SNK 2
_-|-_

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:39:40 pm »
I thought Project M was pretty good. What they did is they fixed all the problems that people complained about Brawl and made it a better overall game, they also changed the gameplay mechanics to be more like Melee's. They also brought back two characters that were supposed to be in Brawl in the first place, Mewtwo and Roy. Both were cut because of time constraints. They also brought back a lot of stages from SSB64 and Melee and gave most of the characters unique colors and alternate costumes. They also balanced out most of the characters. They're working on version 3.6 right now. I think that version or the version after might have Ridley added to the roster, Bagan of the Smash community made a really cool Ridley mod that they're interested of adding into a future version. You should definitely give Project M a try. I never was a fan of MUGEN, the only MUGEN game I ever tried was someone made a better version of Street Fighter 1 where you can play as all the characters and the controls are more like the ones in the later Street Fighter games. But overall, I have no interest in trying out other MUGEN games.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:52:53 pm by SCD »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 01:43:10 am »
What do you guys think is a more entertaining fighting game. MUGEN or Project M?
For those who are unaware MUGEN is a 2D-fighting game where anyone can create and upload custom content like fighters/stages/etc. so one can have fights like Ronald McDonald vs. Godzilla.

Project M is a mod of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (I don't know how they did it) that allows anyone to create custom characters.
They are two very different games.  As mentioned, Project M doesn't really have custom characters created by "anyone" – there's a very tiny number of extra characters, and the whole thing has been very meticulously balanced and tweaked for the hardcore Smash Bros community (or at least that's what I understand they're aiming for).  That said, in the end it's still Smash Bros and if you've already played it to death I can't really see the appeal.

MUGEN is just a whacking huge hot mess.  You can probably get just as much enjoyment out of watching the Youtube vids.  (There's a pretty popular thing on Twitch these days called SaltyBet that lets people bet on random MUGEN matches.)  Yes, there are a lot of characters, but there's definitely a huge variation in quality and pretty much nothing has ever been done to ensure any kind of balance – much entertainment value can be found in just watching the overpowered broken characters go to town.

I hope Card Sagas Wars still gets released one day; it's a MUGEN derivative, but considerable care seems to be going into it.

In the meantime, why not take a look at Skullgirls? Everyone seems to appreciate that one.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 03:42:34 am »
In the meantime, why not take a look at Skullgirls? Everyone seems to appreciate that one.

Good one  :beer:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Isao Kronos

• Kiss From A Rose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 04:47:43 am »
I have Skullgirls and all the chars except Big Band and haven't been able to play it because toaster computer.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 04:17:02 pm »
Hmm, I've never played project M, so i can't give any feed back there...

MUGEN's pretty fun, especially if you go into it purely for fun or for laughs. The only Mugen game I ever played was called Everything VS. Everything. It came with one stage (with room for however many more you'd like) and about 8-12 characters + a FUCKLOAD of empty slots to add more characters you can find online (think 200-300+ slots open for more fighters)

Mugen characters range from balanced, to OP but still fightable, to broken via OPness or as a joke. Some characters I still fondly remember:

Tom Hanks - unwinnable against, and he shouts one-liners with boxarts for various Tom Hanks movies as his projectiles (he can also summon Hooch from Turner and Hooch)
Winnie the Pooh - You'd think WtP would be fuckin horrible, but instead he's quite the fighter
Green Power Ranger - Pretty balanced, awesome moveset
Beehive/Wasp Nest - A Bee's nest, that when struck a few times, explodes into a shitload of bees that kiill you. Made as a joke.

The funniest match I ever saw was a CPU match of Winnie the Pooh Vs. the Beehive.

As for Brawl, I don't plan to play Project M, as I can just as easily set up different characters, stages and songs bit by bit yourself like It's MUGEN on crack (but more balanced than Mugen). Plus using a cheat file + Gecko loader, you can make the game do all kinds of great stuff, like being able to have full camera control when paused, or being able to finally overlap pieces in the stage creator, which when coupled with an infinite stage pieces cheat, allows to make whatever stage you want.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 08:58:41 pm »
Bleh to SNK characters and their stupid and outdated games... Get a couple of Dragon Ball characters, put them at order 10, a couple of bosses, put them at order 9, a couple of cheap characters, put them at order 8, and arrange the others as you want. BEST MUGEN EVER! :D

By the way, there are 3D rips (it is insane, I know) of games like Smash Bros for MUGEN.