News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 - Retranslation Project (PSX)  (Read 139190 times)

Phantasia Knights

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Retranslation Project (PSX)
« Reply #300 on: July 23, 2016, 11:22:32 pm »
So that's how you'll fool them.  So that's how you fooled them. :p

But interesting.  I don't think a lot of people know about that spelling of pol, and it's definitely something I never heard of until now.  I was hoping i'd get your attention to help that long-standing debate for sure.  Might be something to address in a note with the patch in the future, simply because a lot of older players would probably ask the same question.  Thanks for not getting annoyed though.

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 24, 2016, 06:17:06 am »
NP.  ;D I've already placed the reasoning on the BugTracker (which now houses the non-dialogue and place name information).

You see, the issue is this:

ノース (Noosu)  North.  FF7 uses ノルズ (noruzu) 

You can already see that the kana is different.  It's of course entirely possible that they took the English and mangled it (the argument against that is how different the kana is).  As in, the actual name is based on North, but different to give a uniqueness to the Cetra's name for it. If that's the case, Knoll's (or Knolls') would be incorrect, even though it matches the kana they've used; and a better localization would be something close to North Pole, like Nord Pol (which is German for North Pole too).  Something that allows an English person to see a North Pole influence, while not being the actual English. In either case, the Japanese writers made it clear that they definitely do not want North as a 1:1.  And I have to go with likelihoods that Knoll's  is what they meant.

Similarly, Pole is ポール and not ポル.

The reason it ended up Knowlespole in the original game is because Baskett was clever enough to see that it was too different to be North Pole - and so he conjured something up.

i'm debating this with Luksy.

edit

Edit.  OK after some discussion we are left with the following:

1. This is a unique, intended name (Knoll's Pol).  Chance:  Very possible.
2. This is a spelling mistake for North Pole. Chance: Very unlikely.
3. This is a deliberate alternation of North Pole. Chance: Very possible.
4. This is a unique, intended name (Nords' / Nord's Pol).  Chance: Very possible.

I'd be VERY surprised if the original writer didn't intend 1, 3 or 4.  Luksy is gunning for 3 and 4.  I am on the fence with 1,3,4.  I think given that Knoll means a small hill - I have to bite the bullet and consider it the more unlikely of the three.  The question now is whether to use Nord Pol  or Nord's Pol.  Luksy noted that "Nords' / Nord's is also a match to the kana

Edit.

This seems VERY promising.

matches the kana...

Which seems to also be a very big indicator.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=north

Edit.

Edit. OK, I've decided. We're changing it to Nord Pol. The kana matching the old English / Norse for "North" - and those regions on Earth - clinches it for me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:27:43 am by DLPB »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #302 on: July 24, 2016, 10:25:57 am »
ノルズ comes from Norður (ノルズル), meaning North, and ポル probably applies to a similar Nordic transliteration. North Pole is definitively the best approximation or a Nordic name (FF7 has plenty), everything else sounds like silly Engrish.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

monadmaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 24, 2016, 10:27:28 am »
Alright, here is a version of the patch I compiled.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47184537/Projects/FF7-Because.zip

I can't get this patch to work on my Playstation. It seems to work in mednafen for me and I can get Green_goblin's Apr 1st patch working on the actual hardware, so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Let me know if there's something I can do to help troubleshoot this. Thanks for all the great work y'all have put into it.   :thumbsup:

EDIT I was, however, able to get it working on my PS2 w/softmod + disc swap
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:24:23 pm by monadmaniac »

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2016, 10:29:42 am »
ノルズ comes from Norður (ノルズル), meaning North, and ポル probably applies to a similar Nordic transliteration. North Pole is definitively the best approximation or a Nordic name (FF7 has plenty), everything else sounds like silly Engrish.

I think given the kana and the region, a really good localization is "Nordpol"; it even means "North Pole" in German. 

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordpol

And as you also noted, it's taken from Norð, which matches the kana.  A few places in Iceland are named Norð and use Noruzu.  The intention of the writers is definitely to give the name a Nordic feel to it, since the Cetra named the area. Using the English "North Pole" loses that - so I'll definitely stick to Nordpol.  It's probably even exactly what they had in mind.

@Phantasia Knights  It seems we made a mistake after all. Thanks for bringing this topic up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:57:00 am by DLPB »

Phantasia Knights

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 24, 2016, 11:30:46 pm »
It makes me very happy that I encouraged a key change in the game's translation for the better.  Thanks for taking it seriously, the project just got that much cooler for me.

July 24, 2016, 11:38:29 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I can't get this patch to work on my Playstation. It seems to work in mednafen for me and I can get Green_goblin's Apr 1st patch working on the actual hardware, so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Let me know if there's something I can do to help troubleshoot this. Thanks for all the great work y'all have put into it.   :thumbsup:

EDIT I was, however, able to get it working on my PS2 w/softmod + disc swap
A few months ago when I first tried to run this game, the forum and I discovered that the retranslation only really had problems running on real hardware.  Specifically I wonder if you're having the problem I had of the transition pointers for a lot of the game being screwed up.  I later discovered on emulator the game would only reliably not crash on disk 3.  Of course it later hit me that's because I was running it on BizHawk, which I found out is a cycle-accurate emulator, and thus would have the same problem as the PSP.  In fact they crash in all the same places.

EDIT: Actually, it occurs to me that might be good diagnostic data. If anyone from the team wants my BizHawk error log, let me know.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:40:27 pm by Phantasia Knights »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 25, 2016, 07:57:48 am »
I was running it on BizHawk, which I found out is a cycle-accurate emulator, and thus would have the same problem as the PSP.  In fact they crash in all the same places.
BizHawk uses Mednafen for it's PSX emulation. Which is accurate, but  not cycle accurate ( I doubt we have CPUs good enough in 2016 to run something like that).

Phantasia Knights

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 25, 2016, 03:19:16 pm »
Well I was able to finish the game, but now I am back to having no idea what went on with that in the first place then.  I'll be very curious how it does on the next patch.

CVReynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2016, 10:48:47 am »
When you give the Guidebook to the Kalm traveler, he says he'll give you a "Diving" materia. The materia you receive is named "Aqualung" instead. I don't know if this is an error, but in case it is, I'm reporting it here.

Edit: Oh, and this happens on Disc 3. Don't know about Disc 2.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 01, 2016, 12:40:28 pm »
When you give the Guidebook to the Kalm traveler, he says he'll give you a "Diving" materia. The materia you receive is named "Aqualung" instead. I don't know if this is an error, but in case it is, I'm reporting it here.

Edit: Oh, and this happens on Disc 3. Don't know about Disc 2.
I'm pretty sure this was an intentional change, but looking at the doc I can't find the materia to confirm.

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2016, 06:45:52 am »
It should now be Aqualung across the board, as it will be in R05 for the PC. Diving is correct to the Japanese, but sounds rather clunky as an English name.  It's very likely intended to be based on (scuba) diving equipment.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 02, 2016, 10:43:28 am »
Ah, I thought so!  Thanks for confirming.

So wait a minute, I don't mean to sound like a butt here, but if Aqualung came from the name sounding awkward where did Status Null come from?  That also sounds kind of awkward in my opinion, at least when you compare it to other spells.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #312 on: August 02, 2016, 10:52:33 am »
Status Null comes from S-Nu (エスナ), basically Status Nullify.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 02, 2016, 11:08:25 am »
Status Null comes from S-Nu (エスナ), basically Status Nullify.
I see.

Here's the strange thing though: a single word ending in -na kind of feels like it would jive better than Status Null (to me at least), but I don't know how you'd put that in without using the originally localized spell name.  Statna/Stat-na sounds wrong, so I can see why Null was used like that.  I almost want to say Nullify sounds more like a spell would.  That's about all I can think of.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #314 on: August 02, 2016, 12:04:48 pm »
I have it myself as S-Null and Basuna as BS-Null, even if BS sounds like bullshit in English, but nevermind. :D

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 02, 2016, 12:54:03 pm »
I see.

Here's the strange thing though: a single word ending in -na kind of feels like it would jive better than Status Null (to me at least), but I don't know how you'd put that in without using the originally localized spell name.  Statna/Stat-na sounds wrong, so I can see why Null was used like that.  I almost want to say Nullify sounds more like a spell would.  That's about all I can think of.

Status- Na makes 0 sense in English, as you said.  It's meant to be nullify, and that's even what FFs after VII use.  I recall FFX using Null for various things. Aqualung is not too far away from the intended meaning they were getting at.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:22:08 pm by DLPB »

CVReynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 04, 2016, 03:50:44 pm »
Aqualung is fine. The problem is that the Kalm traveler twice claims he's giving you "Diving" (complete with pink letters) but you get Aqualung (also with the pink letters).

But if I read DLPB's reply correctly, this will be fixed in the next version. :3

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 04, 2016, 05:27:40 pm »
Well, it doesn't need fixing in PC one since it's being added in R05.  This issue is a problem with this project :)

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 10, 2016, 01:41:13 pm »
DLPB, where is R05? Still only seeing R04 on your forum

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 10, 2016, 08:03:21 pm »
DLPB, where is R05? Still only seeing R04 on your forum

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0

since it's being added in R05

It ain't out yet.... :P It's been in the making quite some time but is near completion.

See The Reunion Database (linked to in first post) to see the kind of stuff fixed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:33:12 pm by DLPB »