News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 - Retranslation Project (PSX)  (Read 145475 times)

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Retranslation Project (PSX)
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2016, 11:17:46 am »
I'm looking at it now in Mako Reactor Editor. There is a {NEW PAGE} positioned right after of the planet’s energy.”. The {NEW PAGE} needs to be in its own dedicated line or it will be assumed to be in-game text.
NOTE: The file in question is ancnt3.dat

Ok, I will correct this.

Thanks and regards.

Kensou

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2016, 11:29:38 am »
That's not really a bug.  Cid shouldn't be there at that point in the game (and a first visit would have ordinarily happened) - and so it's fine :)  It's not a bug if someone does something that is ordinarily impossible.

I can always add an "if game progress = "  there to make sure it only plays at a specific part of the game.

Yeah I thought as much, I didn't know the scene didn't play out in the original release, I mean, I'm usually in Corel for the first time using some other 2 characters; so I assumed the game flagged the scene as to not replay it once you're past that point in the game. What is interesting is, that it only happens with Cid and one would think it would happen with Vincent or Cait Sith because they aren't supposed to be there either, but neither of them comes out of Cloud and the scene plays out just fine.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it.

Ok, I will correct this.

Thanks and regards.

Thanks to everyone, if I find anything else I'll be sure to post it up.

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2016, 03:19:57 pm »
I also had to repair the script there anyway, so I may have overlooked something. Let's see:

No, it's just that certain characters aren't even loaded on that map, so it's impossible for them to show up. Cid HAS to be allowed, because you can play as him during the Huge Materia quest. If his model wasn't loaded on the map, then you'd end up with invisible character there.

Vincent and Cait will never show on that map (not unless someone were to edit them in - but there's no point).  Red XIII, Yuffie, Tifa, Cloud, Aerith, and Barrett all have their own dialogue for the bridge scene. Cid is only loaded because he has to be later in the game.  It's nice to see the programmers/writers bothered to give Yuffie some fun dialogue there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:11:24 pm by DLPB »

cold_spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2016, 06:45:28 pm »
On a side note, I'd like to create a Square-Enix canon addendum patch for this project.

This is something I would really like to help you with. Here is a quick list of character name changes in the Beacause patch given by DLPB:

Zax>Zack
Leno>Reno
Yrena>Elena
Gusto>Gast
Elmina>Elmyra
Zeng>Tseng
Mina>Myrna
Sierra>Shera
Godot>Godo
Crean>Chole
Grean>Choco Bill
Greene>Choco Billy
Marin>Marlene
Barrett>Barret

I noticed you were missing Barret, Gast, Shera, and Godo from your list. Those names have either appeared in the short story collection On the Way to a Smile or Dirge of Cerberus.

Will you be including towns or limit breaks in your patch? Dissidia canonized a number of limit break names for Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith as well as weapon, armor and item names.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2016, 07:09:44 pm »
Will you be including towns or limit breaks in your patch? Dissidia canonized a number of limit break names for Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith as well as weapon, armor and item names.
I'm kinda on the fence about that myself.  Mostly in regard to Climhazzard.  While I realize that it's also an FFIX ability, Crime Hazard ends up being a better descriptor for both at the same time.  If I were ever going to go and make a patch for FFIX that fixes references (palom and porom, etc), I would probably make the ability Crime Hazard in the process because it makes even more sense in that game.

Give DLPB and Luksy a trophy for that one.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2016, 07:26:15 pm »
I noticed you were missing Barret, Gast, Shera, and Godo from your list. Those names have either appeared in the short story collection On the Way to a Smile or Dirge of Cerberus.

Thanks!
I will change any name for anything that's been mentioned outside of Final Fantasy VII. Therefore, Limit Breaks, Weapons and Armor are all free game.
Please send me a list of everything you can think of (and perhaps a reason why it's canon). I'm not super "in the know" on allot of small details, so I'd greatly appreciate the help. 

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2016, 08:44:07 pm »
Thanks!
I will change any name for anything that's been mentioned outside of Final Fantasy VII. Therefore, Limit Breaks, Weapons and Armor are all free game.
Please send me a list of everything you can think of (and perhaps a reason why it's canon). I'm not super "in the know" on allot of small details, so I'd greatly appreciate the help.
Alright I'll pitch in, as far as Limit Breaks go it's mostly Cloud:

-All of Cloud's were captured in Final Fantasy Tactics word for word the same as VII (plus Cherry Blossom).  WOTL changed Braver to Brave Slash for some odd reason, and Finish Touch to Finishing Touch.
-Climhazzard is also in FFIX as a Sword Tech, but it's a completely different effect.
-Cross Slash appeared in FFIV The After Years, also Cross Slash Prime.
-I know that in the Dissidia games at least Climhazzard, Blade Beam, and Meteorain are confirmed. (I haven't played the later games all that much).

I also know that at least a couple of Tifa's Limit Breaks reappeared in VIII too.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:50:35 pm by Chronosplit »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2016, 09:22:15 pm »
Thanks, got Climhazzard, Blade Beam and Meteorian on the list. I'm keeping Braver the same since War of the Lions seems to be the only game that changed it's name (and there have been newer games that keep it as Braver).

cold_spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2016, 12:19:08 am »
Here's a big list. Sorry for the repeats!

Character Names:
Barrett = Barret
Yrena = Elena
Gusto = Gast
Godot = Godo
Marin = Marlene
Leno = Reno
Sierra = Shera
Zeng = Tseng
Zax = Zack

Other Names:
Moguri = Moogle

Locations on the World Map:
Icicle Lodge Area = Icicle Inn Area
Nibl Area = Nibel Area
Rocket Village Area = Rocket Town Area
Midhir Area = Mideel Area

Locations on the Field:
District = Sector
Icicle Lodge = Icicle Inn
Niblheim = Nibelheim
Mt. Nibl = Mt. Nibel
Mithril Mine = Mythril Mine
Midhir = Mideel
Great Crater = Northern Cave Crater / Northern Cave
Rocket Village = Rocket Town
Shin-Ra = Shinra
Zax's Home = Zack's Home

Enemy Names:
Nibl Wolf = Nibel Wolf
Morbor = Malboro
Yrena = Elena
Godot = Godo
Leno = Reno
Zeng = Tseng

I still have to check through weapons, armors, accessories, items, key items, limit breaks, materia, and magic.

EDIT: In case anyone is worried, I'm cross-checking each name with various resources (example: Crisis Core emails, Crisis Core mission descriptions, On the Way to a Smile short stories, etc.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:57:22 am by cold_spirit »

Kensou

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2016, 02:38:42 am »
I came across another issue, albeit small. On the ending FMV, ending2 that is, on a real PSX there's noise coming out of either sound channel. This so far only happens on that one FMV. Could it be because of the new subs? I haven't had a chance to test it on the other subbed FMVs because I don't have save files near those.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2016, 05:33:37 am »
I came across another issue, albeit small. On the ending FMV, ending2 that is, on a real PSX there's noise coming out of either sound channel. This so far only happens on that one FMV. Could it be because of the new subs? I haven't had a chance to test it on the other subbed FMVs because I don't have save files near those.

Yes, that video was modified to re-translate the subtitles, and probably that caused the extrange noise. I don't know how to fix that.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2016, 09:43:19 am »
Thanks, got Climhazzard, Blade Beam and Meteorian on the list. I'm keeping Braver the same since War of the Lions seems to be the only game that changed it's name (and there have been newer games that keep it as Braver).
Yeah, WOTL is... interesting with it's name changes.  Let's leave it with that.  :D

Kensou

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2016, 11:10:53 am »
Yes, that video was modified to re-translate the subtitles, and probably that caused the extrange noise. I don't know how to fix that.

Oh well, doesn't matter too much, small price to pay for such a great job.

I think I'm gonna do a full play-through of the game and I'll keep posting if I find anything else.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2016, 12:38:20 pm »
There are ways around re-encoded movies and similar errors, like soft subtitles. You don't even need to supply huge patches that way and there are zero quality reductions due to re-encoding of macroblocks. My code for soft subtitles on FF7i should still be somewhere, somebody even ported it over the non Internal builds and reported the code to work fine.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »
Here's a big list. Sorry for the repeats!
Thanks!
To avoid derailing this thread, lets continue this discussion through PM.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 07, 2016, 04:28:00 pm »
My apologies if it's been mentioned, but there's also a typo in the ending's subtitles. When Cloud and Tifa are on the ledge together in the northern cave, Tifa says something like "Thank godness everyone's safe" rather than "thank goodness"

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 07, 2016, 04:49:00 pm »
There are ways around re-encoded movies and similar errors, like soft subtitles. You don't even need to supply huge patches that way and there are zero quality reductions due to re-encoding of macroblocks. My code for soft subtitles on FF7i should still be somewhere, somebody even ported it over the non Internal builds and reported the code to work fine.

I see your old code here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8571.msg134116#msg134116, but the link it's not working. Can you please upload it again?

Regards

My apologies if it's been mentioned, but there's also a typo in the ending's subtitles. When Cloud and Tifa are on the ledge together in the northern cave, Tifa says something like "Thank godness everyone's safe" rather than "thank goodness"

Thanks, I'll try to correct this in the new patch.

Regards

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #257 on: April 07, 2016, 06:15:33 pm »
Uploaded here: http://appleofeden.de-doc.com/psx/ff7i.rar
Sources to soft subs are located under SLPS, mdec.asm and mdec_extern.asm are the whole thing. It can be changed a bit to accept whatever binary data to work as text, otherwise it will be using the provided data with scrambled font order that requires only the symbols actually used for the translation [generated via script in the inserter].
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2016, 07:10:52 am »
Uploaded here: http://appleofeden.de-doc.com/psx/ff7i.rar
Sources to soft subs are located under SLPS, mdec.asm and mdec_extern.asm are the whole thing. It can be changed a bit to accept whatever binary data to work as text, otherwise it will be using the provided data with scrambled font order that requires only the symbols actually used for the translation [generated via script in the inserter].

Good, thanks Gemini.

cold_spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2016, 12:15:11 pm »
Just a heads up, Dexterity is translated as Agility in the Status menu, but some materia still list things like "Dexterity +50%" in the Materia menu. Just a minor inconsistency.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:42:55 pm by cold_spirit »