News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 - Retranslation Project (PSX)  (Read 170967 times)

DLPB

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Retranslation Project (PSX)
« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2016, 02:06:14 pm »
It doesn't help when there are tons of errors in the original game that were not fixed.  Some, I am probably the first to even notice:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.msg239256#msg239256

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2016, 03:09:40 pm »
I went ahead and repatched the games and scanned them.  It did fix a bunch of errors, but now for some reason when I try to run a new compiled Eboot it hard freezes the whole system.  Just this one game too, as I have several fan translations on it.  I REALLY don't get it...  I may just have to wait for the next patch.
Check your PM.

Phantasia Knights

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2016, 03:18:08 pm »
It doesn't help when there are tons of errors in the original game that were not fixed.  Some, I am probably the first to even notice:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.msg239256#msg239256
Holy crap, no wonder i'm not wanting to have to use the PC version.  SE's bad porting would make that a field day in addition to all the glitches from the PS1 version.

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2016, 03:23:34 pm »
Holy crap, no wonder i'm not wanting to have to use the PC version.  SE's bad porting would make that a field day in addition to all the glitches from the PS1 version.

Those errors are nearly all to do with the PSX version.  The ones there that are PC are caused by our higher quality models needing extra script.  Also, when using higher quality models errors show up more easily.  You don't notice that cloud's hand is facing the wrong way when you have a block hand.  But you do with better models.  When they created the animations, they were clearly using a higher quality model as placeholder.  Still, mistakes were made.

But some errors in PC are purely because of a bad port.  Not this time, though.

Phantasia Knights

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2016, 03:28:34 pm »
Ah, I was basing that off of memories of the original PC release and thinking they didn't even bother to fix/optimize many of them, if any, for the Steam release.  Especially given that I hear they never did replace FF8's MIDI music even on Steam.

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2016, 04:32:19 pm »
I won't post this stuff again since it's offtopic - but here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCL73kTcGe8

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2016, 06:15:50 pm »
Alright, I sent Phantasia an EBOOT made with ECC/EDC regenerated ISOs. He confirmed that it crashed all the same when entering Junon on the PSP (I guess his previous attempt to make an EBOOT was a dud).
To put the nail on the coffin, I decided to burn the first ECC/EDC regenerated ISO onto a CD-R and test Phantasia's save on real hardware. There was no crashing when entering Junon (small cut-scene plays and I'm able to play as normal). There is also no crashing (when using an ECC/EDC regenerated ISO) when entering this town on mednafen or ePSXe.

Unless others confirm other forms of crashing on real hardware/mednafen, I'm positive that this is just an issue with the PSP not being able to handle the patch.

EDIT:
Also, here is a version of the patch that has the ECC/EDC regenerated by default.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47184537/temp/FixPatch.zip
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:31:06 pm by Burnt Lasagna »

Phantasia Knights

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2016, 06:46:10 pm »
Yeah, the short of it is that Junon is inaccessible on disk 1 but not on disk 3, which points to it being a system conflict with the event code in all likelyhood.  Maybe it just doesn't like the Junon story event.  At this point i'm just getting my PSP saves converted to PS1 so I can finish this.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2016, 08:07:47 am »
EDIT:
Also, here is a version of the patch that has the ECC/EDC regenerated by default.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47184537/temp/FixPatch.zip

Thanks Burnt_Lasagna, I just updated the first post with this new patch.

Regards

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2016, 02:30:22 pm »
@Green_Goblin
Cool. You might also want to put a warning in the opening post that the patch isn't compatible with the PSP.

On a side note, I'd like to create a Square-Enix canon addendum patch for this project.
My current list of Names, Items and Summons to change is below.
(NOTE: Left is Luksy's translation, right is canon name)
~Abilities~
Protect = Cover

~Limit Breaks~
Crime Hazard = Climhazzard
Rending Light = Blade Beam
Meteor Rain = Meteorain

~Names~
Barrett = Barret
Gusto = Gast
Sierra = Shera
Godot = Godo
Shin-Ra = Shinra
Leno = Reno
Zeng = Tseng
Yrena = Elena
Zax = Zack
Moguri = Moogle
Marin = Marlene

~Summons~
Ramu = Ramuh

~Status~
Minimum = Mini

~Items~
Phoenix Tail = Phoenix Down
Hero Medicine = Hero Drink
High Potion = Hi-Potion
Last Elixir = Megalixir
Ether Turbo = Turbo Ether
Uchide Mallet = Mallet
Panacea = Remedy
Mask = Mute Mask
Tantalum Greens = Tantal Greens
Mimetite Greens = Mimett Greens
Silkis Greens = Sylkis Greens
Scales of Leviathan = Leviathan Scales
I feel I am missing some, so I’d like others to help suggest changes before I start work.
For reference, this is any Name, Item , Summon, ect. that Square-Enix has used consistently throughout the series.  Any names that are exclusive to Final Fantasy VII (AKA, never mentioned in Crisis Core/Advent Children/Dirge of Cerberus or any other game) I will leave as Lusky has it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:15:11 pm by Burnt Lasagna »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2016, 11:06:49 pm »
I'd like to create a Square-Enix canon addendum patch for this project.
Wonderful.  This has been something I've been waiting to see since this appeared on PS1.  If you need help on any common names give me a holler, I had boned up on this a little bit for the FFT patch (and perhaps got a little bit overexcited over it, but oh well.)

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2016, 08:33:40 pm »
The only things in the series that are consistently named the same are Hi-Potion, Ramuh, Phoenix Down, and Megalixir.  The rest change or are  going to change eventually. Otyugh is changed to Ochu because of copyright issues with D&D.

In terms of FF7 "canon", I can't speak for the games I have not played, but the ones you have listed above are correct.  I would point out, though, that Zeng is actually the same thing as Tseng - the difference is that Zeng uses the new official (and more accurate) Chinese romanization.  I don't know how they've spelled it in other games, but since they are so lazy and reluctant to correct errors, I am guessing it's Tseng.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2016, 10:01:58 pm »
A couple of Materia and Spell name suggestions for the Square-Enix patch, based on the posted spreadsheet:

Protect = Cover (Near every game, or at least I've never seen one that doesn't call the act itself Cover.)
Minimum = Mini (Also the status.  Known as Size way back in the original US FFIV localization, every other game calls it Mini.)

The rest check out in that category.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:50:54 pm by Chronosplit »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2016, 12:47:47 am »
A couple of Materia and Spell name suggestions for the Square-Enix patch, based on the posted spreadsheet:

Protect = Cover (Near every game, or at least I've never seen one that doesn't call the act itself Cover.)
Minimum = Mini (Also the status.  Known as Size way back in original US localization, every other game calls it Mini.)
Thanks, I added them to the list.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2016, 12:49:16 pm »
Misposted, I guess I had hit quote instead of Modify. :P

Kensou

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2016, 01:50:55 am »
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

First I would like to thank everyone involved in this patch, it has been a great effort so far. I only wanted to submit an issue I had while testing on a real PSX.

I burned the latest version of the translation, April 1st. I had an old save file saved just outside Corel, just before going to the Gold Saucer to get the date event. If I go back to the Corel Bridge, with Aerith in the party, I get that scene where Cloud has the option of offering to help her or warning her about being with him. However, I had Cid in the party and right when the event triggered, Cid was stuck in a running animation and the game froze, I could access the menu but I couldn't move nor talk to either character.

So I put my original game disc and if I go through the bridge, I don't get that event at all. My guess is that since I didn't trigger it the first time around you visit Corel you can't trigger it again. It makes sense for Cid to not have lines because he wasn't in your party yet. Now if I go with say Barrett, I will get Aerith's and Barrett's lines fine and the game keeps going.

So far this only happens with Cid, I tried with other characters who aren't supposed to be while you visit Corel the first time, like Vincent or Cait Sith, but they just don't come out of Cloud and Aerith does and the event plays out just fine.

So I don't know if it's a new glitch of if it always existed, only thing I know is, that if I try to replicate it with the original game, I don't even get the event at all.

Thanks for your attention to this post.

April 06, 2016, 03:08:52 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sorry to add up, I believe I found an oversight on the translation. Right after Sephiroth kills Aerith, he says "Do not worry..." that ends with {NEW WINDOW} and then the rest of the text follows making a big text box. I think the fault here is that it should only be {NEW} instead of {NEW WINDOW} ?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:08:52 am by Kensou »

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #236 on: April 06, 2016, 09:14:20 am »
Hello Kensou

The bridge scene is deactivated in the original game, but DLPB activated it in the retranslation.
I will let him know about it.

Regards

Kensou

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2016, 09:57:01 am »
Thanks, I'm loving this translation so far a lot. I have the PC version too but I didn't like the menu mod that has to be installed plus the PSX is what this game was designed for.

Should I find anything else I'll keep posting here.

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2016, 10:34:04 am »
That's not really a bug.  Cid shouldn't be there at that point in the game (and a first visit would have ordinarily happened) - and so it's fine :)  It's not a bug if someone does something that is ordinarily impossible.

I can always add an "if game progress = "  there to make sure it only plays at a specific part of the game.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2016, 11:14:47 am »
Sorry to add up, I believe I found an oversight on the translation. Right after Sephiroth kills Aerith, he says "Do not worry..." that ends with {NEW WINDOW} and then the rest of the text follows making a big text box. I think the fault here is that it should only be {NEW} instead of {NEW WINDOW} ?
I'm looking at it now in Mako Reactor Editor. There is a {NEW PAGE} positioned right after of the planet’s energy.”. The {NEW PAGE} needs to be in its own dedicated line or it will be assumed to be in-game text.
NOTE: The file in question is ancnt3.dat