News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sprite Editing on Wario Land 1  (Read 5167 times)

Maeson

• View Profile
Sprite Editing on Wario Land 1
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:53:52 pm »
Hi, I would want to ask something about this game. My idea was trying to change the eyes of wario a little and to add his cap instead of the safari hat he uses in this game. But i have several problems.

I edited sprites of a few games from this system, but this is the first time I see this:

Why does this look so messy? How is that the sprites try to use the "invisible/background color" as a part of the sprites, but when you see it ingame it's just black?

The cap I made (inside the red rectangles) and what it looks ingame doesn't fit that much... I also have a problem trying to find another set of Wario's sprites, that seems to be in another place (Used in the intro and in the save file select menu).

Is there an easier way to work with this? Or is not worth it?
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite Editing on Wario Land 1
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 08:44:34 pm »
To take a wild guess, try starting with the safari hat and just change it one pixel at a time until something strange happens.  Perhaps that will provide some indicaiton as to how the game is using the background color.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 03:21:33 am »
I tried that a little but it seems quite random, if I change one pixel to another color it may change other pixels surrounding it.

I'' look at this later some more, maybe I can find a way.

Thanks for the response!
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:22:56 am »
That smells like compression. Which is strange, since compression usually prevents you from viewing stuff...

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 02:53:17 pm »
Hi, I would want to ask something about this game. My idea was trying to change the eyes of wario a little and to add his cap instead of the safari hat he uses in this game. But i have several problems.

I edited sprites of a few games from this system, but this is the first time I see this:

Why does this look so messy? How is that the sprites try to use the "invisible/background color" as a part of the sprites, but when you see it ingame it's just black?

The cap I made (inside the red rectangles) and what it looks ingame doesn't fit that much... I also have a problem trying to find another set of Wario's sprites, that seems to be in another place (Used in the intro and in the save file select menu).

Is there an easier way to work with this? Or is not worth it?

Wario's original hat shows up in the opening animation before the title screen when he's rowing the boat, then again when he rushes into the file select pipe-room.
I never did like the panama-hat it would be cool if you could put his Wario hat back in.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 04:11:47 pm »
Henke37 That's what I fear, but it's weird to see some parts, but not others, isn't it?

Even more weird is that Wario's sprites look garbled/compressed yet big enemies like the vulture or that floating head are pretty much intact. Even the gennie is visible.

90's Retro Gamer: Yes, his original hat shows up at the intro and when he destroys the wall before selecting a file.

In both istances i'm unable to find it. I can't find any of the sprites of those moments, in fact.
There seems to be two sets of Wario's sprites, one for the intro, and one for the actual game, based on the fact that if I change the sprites you see in the screenshot, they are not shown in the select file screen. Kind of interesting seeing how much space they take for a GB game.

Maybe I can... I don't know, look at some emulator with some kind of "PPU viewer" like a Nes emulator, and try to copy the hat pixel by pixel, but VBA just shows the sprite as how you see it ingame.

There is an adress (8010) for where supposedly the intro's hat starts, if I go there with Tile Layer Pro it shows just a garbled mess.

Comparing how the panama hat is sprited and how I made the cap doesn't make any sense.

The hat is not that messed up when you look at it in the tile editor... But when I make my own the colors just do whatever they want, lol.

Kind of annoying seeing how i was able to edit other Nintendo games like Molemania's Title Screen no problem.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 12:09:39 am »
I tried that a little but it seems quite random, if I change one pixel to another color it may change other pixels surrounding it.
Maybe the game is hard-coded such that it looks at one particular pixel within the tile to decide which color is supposed to be the background?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 03:02:14 am »
That seems probable, I'll try to paint each part of the sprite with the same color to see what happens.

EDIT: Ok, this is what happens:

If I paint the entire sprite as black, it shows just three black squares. If I paint the cap black, you see the entire cap in black. It's the moment when you add different colors when it fucks up, but I got some steps in the right direction.

The last image seems more what you should expect to look, right? It seems that you need to create an outline and then give background color to make it black.

I'll touch this some more.

EDIT 2: I'm getting closer!

I have to expand the cap a little but now at least looks like a cap.

EDIT 3: Holy crap, i'm advancing.

It reverts back to the Explorer hat if you enter to the minigames, and at the treasure screen, and as I said I can't find those sprites anywhere (The must be the same sprites used for the file select screen) but that's a minor thing i suppose.

Also, the hat looks a little different in the minigame select screen because of the restrictions. If i change a pixel and the game doesn't like it breaks the game in a variety of ways, like resetting the game after pressing start at the Title Screen, or directly crashing the entire emulator with "Unknown opcode fd at 4307"... So that hat will have to do (or go back to the explorer one, maybe).

Do the sprites look acceptable?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:14:45 pm by Maeson »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 08:14:23 pm »
Do the sprites look acceptable?
Well, that's entirely up to you, now isn't it?  ;D I think it looks pretty nice.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 03:12:44 am »
Well, that's entirely up to you, now isn't it?  ;D I think it looks pretty nice.

Well, it's worth asking for opinions, after all you people took a bit of your time to answer.

Anyway, I made a couple of IPS patches if someone wants to try it out, one is for the Cap, another one is to modify Wario's eyes a bit.

A pet peeve of mine... Although after so many times looking at his face to check what how the edting was going I started to not care that much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/om6b92snlminqmh/Wario%20Land%201%20Cap.rar?dl=0

You should use the World version (Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3 (World)).

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 01:20:37 pm »
If you're particularly looking for things to fix, the ending has a weird bug where it seems like Wario's sprite is mirrored incorrectly when he faces the screen and gives a thumbs-up.

Mattrizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »
It looks messy in Tile Layer Pro because you are viewing Wario's sprites from the incorrect offset.  If you press the + key once to shift the tile editor's view forward one byte in the ROM, it won't look messed up.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 04:09:06 am »
It looks messy in Tile Layer Pro because you are viewing Wario's sprites from the incorrect offset.  If you press the + key once to shift the tile editor's view forward one byte in the ROM, it won't look messed up.

I... my god. That makes this much easier. Thank you, I didn't know that.

I've look through the entire ROM and while I found a lot of the sprites thanks to that, the intro and minigame/file select sprites are still missing. They really don't want to get edited or something.

EDIT: I've modified the cap a little and changed some of the "overworld" sprites to reflect the change (not much difference, just to not look like the explorer hat).

I also fixed the problem with the cap in the minigame select screen. The Link above is updated.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:31:50 am by Maeson »