News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: The Legend of Double Moon Translation Released  (Read 14368 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Translations: The Legend of Double Moon Translation Released
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 08:52:18 am »
SCW3 stores its text in the CHR-ROM and consequently its pointers are not normal. You need to be really good at hacking to overcome those limitations.

redmax

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 11:40:21 am »
I still want to look at Momo-Gaiden.

As to Little Ninja Bros.: there were three games each on NES, GB and SNES. Though the first NES/GB game was not an RPG.
Super Chinese series for Famicom: we got 1 (Kung-Fu Heroes) and 2 (Little Ninja Bros.). Didn't get 3.
Super Chinese Land for Game Boy: we got 1 and 2 (Ninja Boy 1 and 2). Didn't get 3. There was also 3'. But I don't know the difference. I think 3' was also only released on a multicart with the full trilogy but I'm not sure.
Super Chinese World for Super Famicom: we got 1 (Super Ninja Boy, though it seems to have been altered a bit). Did not got 2 or 3. It seems 2 was at one point planned for localization as Galactic Defender (though EGM had also previewed one of the Culture Brain fighting games under that title. I forget at the moment if it was Super Chinese Fighter or SD Hiryuu no Ken) I took a bit of a look at SCW3. It is probably going to be **** to translate.

There is also a puzzle esk game version of super chinese on gba too. its one of my favorite series which i actually played and beat all of them. Very fun games

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 10:33:37 pm »
It seems 2 was at one point planned for localization as Galactic Defender (though EGM had also previewed one of the Culture Brain fighting games under that title. I forget at the moment if it was Super Chinese Fighter or SD Hiryuu no Ken) I took a bit of a look at SCW3. It is probably going to be **** to translate.

If you compare it to the original Japanese boxes, you can see that the unreleased Galactic Defender box image found at GameFAQs was going to be Super Chinese Fighter.

SCW3 stores its text in the CHR-ROM and consequently its pointers are not normal. You need to be really good at hacking to overcome those limitations.

Congrats to all of you on Double Moon.  I think KM is talking about SCW3 (which is a SNES game, the 6th one in the series) but you and aishsha are talking about SC3 (the NES game).

I started my SC3 project a LONG time ago, before I started Heracles.  It took me forever to find the pointer structure.  By the time I did, I was in the middle of Heracles.  After I finished Heracles, I wanted to do something different, like FDS.

That being said, not counting Pocket Zaurus, which will come out any day now, it is one of two games that I haven't completed that I intend to complete.  For what it's worth, I did finish the title screen hack...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 10:52:25 am »
If you compare it to the original Japanese boxes, you can see that the unreleased Galactic Defender box image found at GameFAQs was going to be Super Chinese Fighter.
A long time ago, someone sent me a scan of a magazine ad for GD with screenshots, of SCW2, back when I was considering starting up an unreleased games sites. But SNESCentral.com was already doing much better, so I stopped. I don't know if I still have the ad, maybe I should send it to them.
Could have been GD was planned to be SCW2, then the name was reused after SCW2 was canceled.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 09:24:34 am »
So far there's been one bug reported with the IceStormTome, which has been fixed. There's also been another bug reported that is an original bug and will be listed in the readme. I'll wait until about June to release an updated. Maybe in the future I'll fix some of the game's flaws and oversights. There are quite a few now.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 08:07:53 am »
I've just finished this game. It wasn't bad at all, but perhaps a little tough, specially toward the last bit of the game. So, messing a bit, I've found this little code using the built-in virtuanes cheat searcher.

If you want bosses to have only 1HP at the beginning of the fight, open the "cheat support" options and, on the bottom right part ("data write" section), enter the next code:

address: 6207
value: 1

(to make it work, you need to select "2 bytes" on the "length" area of the cheat support options before entering the code).

Then click on the "write" button and it's done. That way you'll beat any boss (even the final one) with a single hit. There are some boss battles with multiple enemies, in that case keep applying the code for every enemy in battle.

If you want more cheats, such as no random encounters, you can find them at gamehacking.org.

hxlnt

• View Profile
    • NO BAD MEMORIES
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 02:01:13 pm »
Why not both?  ;D ;D ;D

By the way, there are lots of Japanese RPGS still unstranslated for the NES. Nevertheless, whether they're good games or mostly crap, that's a different matter. "Otaku no Seiza" comes to mind, I don't know much about that one, but it seems some people are looking forward to it. Also for the NES, there's the "Momotarou Densetsu" series, the "Little Ninja Brothers" series in which only the first game was officially translated if I remember clearly, or the "Ganbare Goemon Gaiden" RPGS.

I'm working on a translation of Otaku no Seiza--curious to know whether someone else is working on it as well...? (Sorry, don't check these boards much.)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 07:18:11 pm »
Well, since it was mentioned, Otaku no Seiza is a game I'd like to do in the near future when I've cleared my backlog a bit. To that end, there are various obscure/weird games that I want to do.

I won't discourage you from working on the game and I'm also not opposed to working with someone else, but I have no idea who you are. I have a set way of how I do things and am not wild on the prospect of teaching someone my hobby trade. That said, when I start the project, it'll probably take me a year or two at least to finish the project. It will entail hacking up the wazoo and a localized script. I figure the game will be similar to Ninja Rahoi, which I had a blast working on.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:38:09 pm by Pennywise »

hxlnt

• View Profile
    • NO BAD MEMORIES
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 11:16:35 pm »
Um, OK... That's fine. I don't think I need help at this juncture. I've already dumped the script and begun translating and reinserting the English script. Was just wondering if anyone else was already working on it.

It's been fun to work on so far--lots of Japanese puns that are interesting to figure out how to translate.

I'm Rachel. Nice to meet you. I usually do custom NES dev rather than NES hacking, so I'm not on these boards too much.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 11:36:05 pm »
Jeez, it's been like 5 months and I've finally gotten around to implementing some bugfixes.

There's a spot on the world map that if you search a peninsula, it'll treat it like an empty treasure chest. This is a really dumb design flaw where the same data for dungeon and over world overlap each other. I could probably fix this, but I'm afraid I could break something else in the process. So I'm just leaving that one as is.

Now, for the big bugfix. Some players might have found that if you deposited enough items, you could eventually break the screen a bit and odd behavior. Basically the last page of allowable inventory is where the problems began. So I've decided on a compromise by decreasing the number of items you can deposit by 4, ensuring that the last page of inventory is never triggered. So originally you could deposit ~48 items with bugs and now you can deposit ~44 issue free.

I'll upload a new patch soon.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2015, 01:53:31 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:52:29 am by Chpexo »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2015, 02:09:47 pm »
I never forget. In fact, there's still a few translations of mine I want to update. I'll get to them eventually.

The game was made by NCS, who I believe have a reputation for releasing buggy games. I'm not sure if they were just sloppy or their games were rushed to release, but there's a lot of little bugs and flaws in the game. Some of which I've fixed, but not all.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 10:41:08 am »
Bumping the thread to say that an updated ROM is pending. Thanks to rainponcho, two original bugs and one bug caused by the translation have been fixed. Before I release it, I'd like someone to give it a quick playthrough.