I've been using the latest build lately, I love the breakpoint ranges so much !
but and as discussed here, the way the CTRL and SHIFT keys won't work is bothersome, To work around this limitation I made a small AutoHotKey script that changes the input of those keys to other keys (F6 to F12) and it seems to work perfectly for me so I thought I could share it with you guys.
I have not been able to make the RightAlt key work correctly.. it might be an issue with my keyboard.
I compiled the script to an executable file so anybody using windows can use it without the need to have AutoHotKey
here is the AHK script: (kind of self-explanatory)
#IfWinActive ahk_exe bsnes.exe
note: vkDF stands for the RightCTRL key on my keyboard, I don't know if yours will trigger the normal "RCtrl" key or work like mine so I remaped both to the F6.
How to use / Issues:
- run the executable, it will stay open in the background, to close it right-click on the tray icon
- in bsnes, go set your controls like you would normally (binding Enter will bind F12 instead, so no need to bother binding the coresponding F keys)
- All keyboard shortcuts using a combination of keys won't work, for example, ALT+enter won't toggle fullscreen (even if you have not bound any button to ALT and/or ENTER), if you want you can use the tray icon menu to suspend the key remaping to be able to use such key shortcuts.
- The remaping only work with bsnes (actually, any program called "bsnes.exe" so it probably will work with other bsnes builds too), all other programs will receive the normal keystrokes.
- Trying to bind the RAlt key (at least on my computer) binds ALT+F7 instead and causes problems so you should avoid using itDownload bsnesKeyRemap
if you don't trust running the executable, or want to modify the script to your needs, the full script (as shown above) is also included in the archive and you can get the latest version of AutoHotKey here
As you can see by the size of it.. this script is very basic so many things could be added to make it better like making the remaping work only when the "game" and "controls settings" windows are focused on to keep it from interfering with the debugger's windows.
It would also be fairly easy to add debugging hotkeys so that say CTRL+Q for example checks the "step SA-1" checkbox and clicks on "run" or any other thing that is already possible with the mouse, like unchecking all the breakpoints boxes by pressing CTRL+B to disable them all at once, and resetting the boxes back to their previous checked state by pressing CTRL+ALT+B for example. I've manged to do many small shortcuts like this for geiger' snes9x debugger but now that I can use the CTRL / SHIFT / ALT / ENTER keys with bsnes+.. I don't really see anything that geiger's debugger does better so I guess I should addapt my scripts to work with bsnes+ and at the same time if you guys are interested, I could make it customizable using a .ini file where each hotkey could be changed and features switched on/off to your liking.
Hopefully, if I do this, and do it right, it will give the chance to Revenant to focus on developping new / improving existing debugging tools