News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy III Maeson Mix (Famicom)  (Read 13540 times)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III Maeson Mix (Famicom)
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2015, 08:45:33 am »
Oh--sorry about complaining about the running then.  I thought I saw in the readme that was how you changed it, but I probably misread it, sorry

I'm definitely with you on no boss steals for a number of reasons.  I'm not sure how the steal groupings look, but maybe give good steals to rarer encounters throughout rather than clumped towards the end?  Kind of like if there's a monster that only shows up in a certain room in a dungeon, that one has useful steals for that point in the game.  Something like that could balance the steals as well as equipment access while not necessarily forcing players to use the thief class consistently

As to giving me credit, don't even worry about it unless you really want to--All I did was play a video game and give some feedback.  Not like I was writing a research paper for you or anything lol.  Real life is probably going to prevent me from playing through new hacks soon anyways, so this was a good place for me to stop for a bit!  Glad I could help!

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2015, 11:55:00 am »
Yeah, I mentioned the running thing in the readme, because how much it can hurt the player.
I have to see if I screwed up the sentence then, lol.  And even then, that's an issue that will disappear soon!

I have to take a look at enemy groups and what I can do about the steal part. If I can find  the rarest monsters in each part I may find a better balance. But the number of groups for stealing is very tiny and the monster too many... Nah, I'll see how I do.

About credits, you could have just played without saying anything, so at the very least you deserve a  thank you, lol.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

disjaukifa

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2015, 08:45:28 pm »
Yeah, I mentioned the running thing in the readme, because how much it can hurt the player.
I have to see if I screwed up the sentence then, lol.  And even then, that's an issue that will disappear soon!

I have to take a look at enemy groups and what I can do about the steal part. If I can find  the rarest monsters in each part I may find a better balance. But the number of groups for stealing is very tiny and the monster too many... Nah, I'll see how I do.

About credits, you could have just played without saying anything, so at the very least you deserve a  thank you, lol.

Quick question for you, can you release a rom hack just for the run mod for pressing b?

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 09:44:21 am »
Quick answer: This mod doesn't change the B button for run. That's something i've never added to it.

Long answer: The "running" that was brought up in this thread was  about running away from battles, as in the vanilla game it cuts your defense and evasion to 0, making you a sitting duck of fail. In the most recent patch (1.2, released a few days ago) I added a patch that doesn't cut your defense to make it less risky.

Now, if you want a B button for running around, you can use the expanded translation by ad0220, as it adds such feature.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1590/

There's also another way to increase the movement speed: Changing the $7CDE0 value. But it's pretty buggy and should be changed with precaution, as it can screw the game easily.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Kea

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2015, 03:38:21 am »
Long answer: The "running" that was brought up in this thread was  about running away from battles, as in the vanilla game it cuts your defense and evasion to 0, making you a sitting duck of fail. In the most recent patch (1.2, released a few days ago) I added a patch that doesn't cut your defense to make it less risky.

Wow, that's a very useful patch! Half defence makes much more sense than just zero. I'm curious, how were you able to find the code that handles reducing defence while fleeing?

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2015, 01:22:03 pm »
By total and stupid luck, (I've found quite a few things thanks to that in my hacking attempts, actually), as i'm horrible with more technical stuff.
While trying to make sense of the debugger in  Fceux some time ago, I was playing around with it and the game genie encoder while fighting when i saw these adresses:

8395:E6 74
8397:E6 52

By changing E6 for other value you can modify the defense (8395) and evasion (8397). I don't know how it works exactly (again, i'm horrible), but lowering to something like C6, B6 or A6 makes it so you don't lose defense or evasion. Seems you can't really choose what percent of defense you lose, it's just 0% or 100%, at least as far as I know with my insufficient skills. Changing it to D6 for example has no effect.

I didn't touch that again until recently, when I rememberd that STARWIN could look the Magic Multiplier in the rom, so I tried to look through the rom with a hex editor, and the offset is 683A5-683A8. E6 74 E6 52. I should have done it before, I know.

As you lose both entirely, what I decided was to mantain defense while losing evasion.

It makes some sort of sense as you're still wearing armor while you try to run away, but because the characters should be focused in running they don't pay attention to the enemies. Gameplay wise, You'll still be hit and more often at that, but at least damage will be partially reduced thanks to your defense.

I always found ridiculous how in a new game, goblins can cause you around 2/6 points of damage normally, but the moment you try to run away, those 2/6 transform into 2x/3x, sometimes even 4x points of damage pretty much killing you in one hit.

And that's just goblins. Add the fact that it's prone to fail, and you have get one big problem and a possible Game Over button if you don't know it beforehand.

Kea

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2015, 06:22:02 pm »
While trying to make sense of the debugger in  Fceux some time ago, I was playing around with it and the game genie encoder while fighting when i saw these adresses:

8395:E6 74
8397:E6 52

By changing E6 for other value you can modify the defense (8395) and evasion (8397). I don't know how it works exactly (again, i'm horrible), but lowering to something like C6, B6 or A6 makes it so you don't lose defense or evasion. Seems you can't really choose what percent of defense you lose, it's just 0% or 100%, at least as far as I know with my insufficient skills. Changing it to D6 for example has no effect.

Okay, I took a look at the code in that area, and figured out what it does. The section you found is responsible for setting the "party is running" flag in RAM. It checks the command being issued by each member of the party,  counts how many are using Run (0x6) or Escape (0x7), and stores that count to RAM. Later at $61F17 the game sets a flag if that count was at least one. One thing you could do here would be to make Escape not count as running for the purposes of making you defenceless.

Anyway, $6207B is where attack and defence changes from running are handled. If the party is running, an attacking monster gains double Attack and the target has zero Defence. I haven't found the code that zeroes out your Evade multiplier yet though. Anyway, here are some changes you can make:

$6207F: Write E6 to disable double Attack power
$62085: Write 46 26 to halve Defence instead of reducing to zero, write E6 26 to make no change to Defence while running

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2015, 06:28:32 am »
Oh wow, that's amazing!  Great finding!

It explains why it was 0% or 100%... It hadn't anything to do with defense itself.
I'll take all this information and re-do that patch when I have some free time to tinker with it! It shouldn't take long (Although I have to test it before anything).

Thank you so much!

Kea

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2015, 07:36:31 pm »
Glad to hear it!

Another thing I discovered is that the Magic Power byte in monster ROM data is not simply copied for Intelligence and Spirit. Instead, the top half of the byte is used for Spirit and the bottom half is used for Intelligence. Because each half can only come to 0x0F (15) by itself, these values are multiplied by six to give the actual Int/Spi values.

As an example, take a monster with a Magic Power byte of 0xC2. It's Spirit will be (12*6) = 72, and its Intelligence will be (2*6) = 12. You can see how, if you aren't aware of the system, this can give monsters whose spell damage is much lower than anticipated.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2015, 03:43:53 am »
This would explain why I had so much problem with enemies like Kraken or Xande while trying to make their new magic spells "not 1HKO all the time" back then, and I had to tinker with both "magic power" and their job level. I had a feeling that it wasnt just a single number, but I couldn't figure it out.

So that means monsters can have a maximum of 90 Int or Spirit...

Really nice findings! Nice indeed.

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2015, 12:48:35 pm »
After a few years now of attempting rom hacking, I have noticed that individual nybbles are used a few times. The INT/SPR function here in FFIII, and in a few places in DW2. All level ups are 2 bytes, 4 nybbles for str/agi/hp/mp. No one had concluded this on the DW2 board, but it is right in front of the initial starting stats, which are 4 bytes per character. There are certain patterns to look for, depending on what type of data youre trying to find.

I have learned to look at each nybble all the time now. Another example is with enemies in FF1. One nybble for status effect, and the other for the %. This means that (poison) for example, has x/16 chance to succeed, and the other nybble is for the status effect itself, limited to a choice of 4 out of the 8 status effects.

I have overlooked things a lot through trial and error, and now I usually find the data I want. Not just by persistence, but by thinking outside the box.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2016, 03:57:25 pm »
So I'm running into a weird issue with ad0220's translation while I'm playing your hack, and seeing as you based your Spanish translation on it, I figured maybe you might have an inkling of what's going on, Maeson.

For some reason, the game's completely failing to load any encounters, including the boss, in Gutsco's dungeon.  This happens in both ad0220's English translation and your Spanish one, and I'm not sure why. o-o

I don't remember running into this bug before, so I'm wondering if the emulator I'm using (FCEUX 2.2.2) is causing it. >_>
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:17:35 pm by Reiska »

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2016, 06:35:31 pm »
Hey Maeson, your hack is amazing!
But i have an issue with magic expansion. You see, after i applied it, my characters began with spells that could not be obtained and used right at the beginning.
I could sell them all minus the Toad spell, since i can't literally sell it, ocupying one of my item slots, which can be problematic if you have too many items and refuse to trash them.
Still good hack, it makes the game more enjoyable  :).
Here's a pic of what i mean:
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."