News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Higan/BSNES issue..maybe?  (Read 1884 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Higan/BSNES issue..maybe?
« on: April 17, 2015, 02:35:54 pm »
I got a bug report on my Mega Man X3 project that Zero's new animation does not show up properly in Higan/BSNES, it's been confirmed by myself just now.  From what I'm seeing, the animation data and the sprites are loaded, but for some reason the sprite assembly is completely ignored.  The catch?  They're all in the same bank yet for some reason on Sprite Assembly for just all Zero's new animations that are in the expanded bank do not work.

Is there any logical reason that Higan/BSNES can read data properly from the expanded bank on everything else but when it comes to the ACTUAL sprite assembly in the same bank, it ignores it?  I can't tell if this is a legitimate issue or if something is wonky in the emulation.

As for the location of it to give an idea, it's $53:9E5F for the actual pointers on each sprite assembly bit for the animation, but the actual sprite assembly doesn't start until $53:A050.  I don't understand what's going on with this.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
Re: Higan/BSNES issue..maybe?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:36 am »
Set a breakpoint on the place where it should execute into that assembly, and see where it goes. It's possible that the way you have addressed it is faulty. $53:XXXX probably needs to be addressed with hi-rom style addressing. Or not. I really don't know what it should be, as that probably depends on the PCB of Mega Man X3 how memory is addressed. Also, Higan at some point added these XML files for doing memory mapping of the rom and that could be making different assumptions than other emulators. Or the range in question is not included in the XML file so it's just reverting to some default.

I can't say I'm surprised you'd see different behavior across emulators for this type of situation.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Higan/BSNES issue..maybe?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 04:13:40 pm »
Setting it to $93 fixed it on Higan and such but it'd break on every other emulator.  It's a pain in the ass.  It's loading the right location but it just doesn't work for some reason.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'