News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final fantasy record keepers actually good? Holy crap!  (Read 6725 times)

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Re: Final fantasy record keepers actually good? Holy crap!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 12:31:17 am »
If stat progression doesn't matter, then what makes Aeris worse than anyone else? At that point it all comes down to weapons, and as mentioned, she gets her best one early. Obviously stats matter, otherwise her physical attacks with that weapon would be as good as everyone Cloud's.

Yes, Cid is great, not only because of Highwind though, because that's a skill you'll use on a handful of enemies in a 60 hour game. One can't just look at the endgame like that, otherwise no one is useful except Barret, Cid, Cloud and Tifa, with Yuffie occasionally chipping in for Morph. Which granted, is how some people play.

Also, the whole game's easy enough that it doesn't matter. Even Emerald and Ruby, with a solid setup, can be beaten in very short order (with KotR's animation taking far more time than the actual fight).

Aeris gets something no one else does, in Invincibility for the whole team. Even dropping damage to 1/255 can't recreate that effect, and assuming it was possible, she'd be the best KotR user in the game, with around 200-400 less HP than the tanks, and good natural magic resistance. None of that matters in the long run, but just because you don't use her, doesn't make her useless.

In the original release, she was also the best magic tank in the game. Doesn't mean much, but she can get some use out of that. Anyone can use Beta and Trine, but she's still best at it, just like anyone can attack.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 02:07:02 am »
OK, I suppose I should have been more clear when I said "stat progression doesn't matter."
What I meant is that a character's natural stat maximums don't matter.
Two stats matter to me early on in the game - HP and Strength. And when you first get Aeries, she doesn't have either.

You know, I could go on with this discussion, but it doesn't matter. I'm not interested in convincing people to see this from my POV, and there is absolutely nothing anyone can say that would make me decide that it would ever be worth my time to level Aeries up.
She's going to die, no matter what I do.
Just because some people use her, doesn't make her useful.
I'd rather spend that time on characters I'll be using later. Hell, when I have no choice but to have her in my party, I'd rather she was dead so the rest of the party who will live to the end can have the exp.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 02:23:45 am »
Fair enough.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 04:42:15 am »
So is anyone still actually playing this? Looks like they'll roll out friend features on Sunday/Monday.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 08:11:58 am »
I am, what does the friend feature do?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 09:22:18 am »
I am, but I haven't seen any friend features...
EDIT
ah, there's the announcement.
I have to say, they seem pretty dedicated to keeping things fresh.
I hope the new "quest" feature gives me a way to acquire Sephiroth. I missed him because I started playing a little late.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:28:38 am by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 10:01:55 am »
I've been putting off getting this because I hate mobile games... hrnnnnnggggghh

Maybe I should get it.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 10:46:42 am »
I am, what does the friend feature do?

We'll know Monday. The annoucement says something about sending one of your heroes to your friends. I'm guessing there'll be bonuses involved, maybe it's a 6th party member. I hope it doesn't replace any existing one, that could make it pretty unattractive if you already have a pimped out team.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 11:58:02 am »
I got the impression it works kind of like a summon spell. They talk about using that hero's Soul Break skill, so other players can try out ones they haven't gotten

In other news, that Legendary Plunder event went from super easy to nearly impossible in the blink of an eye. I was cruising along with no problems, thinking to myself I'd have a free Phoenix summon in no time... Then I got to elite Thamasa. It cost me three mythrils to survive at all. Of course, the strategy site says "use ice,& and the actual game says "don't use ice," so that made a bad situation worse, but it didn't matter in the end. I got the lowest amount of stars possible, and there is no fricking chance I'll be trying that again.

Latest Demo

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 12:50:49 pm »
You could jump straight ahead to the Phoenix stage afaik and ignore the others for now. I read it has 180k HP though and I just don't have enough ice skills to even begin to scratch that, even if everyone of them hit for 9999 damage. But eh, I don't care, I never use summons, not worth it for the limited amount of uses they have and how rare summon orbs are. I'm happy having finally crafted Quake and Bladeblitz last week, that's enough AoE for most fights.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 01:14:57 pm »
For a mobile game, this sounds pretty cool. Too bad I live in the stone age. :'(

Any word of a PC version of this game in the works?
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2015, 01:03:42 am »
You could jump straight ahead to the Phoenix stage afaik and ignore the others for now. I read it has 180k HP though and I just don't have enough ice skills to even begin to scratch that, even if everyone of them hit for 9999 damage. But eh, I don't care, I never use summons, not worth it for the limited amount of uses they have and how rare summon orbs are. I'm happy having finally crafted Quake and Bladeblitz last week, that's enough AoE for most fights.
Hmm. Now that you mention it, I probably could, but seeing as how the Flame Eater handed me my ass on a silver platter, I can't imagine I'd stand a chance against the elite Red Dragon. Good point about summons. I don't use them either, though I occasionally wish I had an all-targeting spell (I don't have quake or bladeblitz yet). In the end, more uses of a single-target spell is more worthwhile. Of course, presumably Phoenix can multi-revive and inflict fire damage all at once. That might be useful in tough dungeons...

For a mobile game, this sounds pretty cool. Too bad I live in the stone age. :'(

Any word of a PC version of this game in the works?
I doubt there will be a binary version for PC. Depending on how they handle the upcoming "friend" function, though, they may (like many mobile games do) use social networks to manage the friend networks. If that happens, then a Facebook app will likely be developed.

Latest Demo

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2015, 01:33:43 am »
Fiddlesticks, no version for iOS 6, even.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 02:38:30 am »
Of course, presumably Phoenix can multi-revive and inflict fire damage all at once.

It can be crafted too so you can check out the description in the crafting menu :) It revives one dead party member and is AoE, so you got it mostly right. The combination with revive is indeed very neat, but still, 1 use is just too much of a waste of a slot IMO. I could almost craft it too, only missing one 4* summon orb.

What I could really use is a AoE heal. But I think those only exist in special weapon soul breaks so far  :-\

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2015, 03:05:52 am »
Hmm... I think the upcoming new features announcement mentioned materia as an advanced players' reward that would grant "special abilities." Maybe they'll roll out "All" materia...?

I still wonder how this outfit makes any money, by the way. They just keep giving out free mythril, which negates the need for the only thing (so far) that you might need to spend money on. Wonder if we're getting fished in...

Latest Demo

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2015, 03:15:35 am »
They profit from the rich but stupid people who'll buy 3 or 4 11 draws in a row in order to get that new soul break they want. It's sad. I would prefer it myself if there was something in the game I could get at a reasonable price to support the game. But currently the only way to spend money is to throw it away. 25 bucks with a very real chance of getting nothing but crap is just not a worthwhile offer.

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2015, 08:53:49 am »
I've messed with this a little bit on my PC, via an Android virtual machine. (After testing out a few, I pretty much settled on AMI's DuOS).

The grindy-ness/monetization for crafting are a small turn-off, but I realize they need to make a profit somewhere (just not likely from me).

It was cool to see some of the characters from 7+ rendered in a classic SNES style, instead of the weird-looking sprites of recent iOS remakes and such.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2015, 09:30:32 am »
They profit from the rich but stupid people who'll buy 3 or 4 11 draws in a row in order to get that new soul break they want. It's sad. I would prefer it myself if there was something in the game I could get at a reasonable price to support the game. But currently the only way to spend money is to throw it away. 25 bucks with a very real chance of getting nothing but crap is just not a worthwhile offer.
It still doesn't add up to me... They just celebrated 50K likes on Facebook, which I assume is a pretty close representation of how many people actually play the game (that's not much at all, BTW). Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say 10% of the players don't have Facebook (or refuse to like commercial sites on fb). That's 55,555 players. Round up to 60,000. I can't imagine any more than half of all players have bought 3 or 4 11 draws, considering how much I've been able to do without spending any money at all, so let's say 30,000 have done that, and half of those have done it twice. So, 30,000 x 1.5 = 45,000. 45,000 x $25 = $1,125,000. So we can figure this game has generated 1.1 million dollars with some generous estimation. You'd have to think a company like Square Enix considers that a failure, right?
With all the loading screens (on my galaxy tab 4, 10 seconds before each battle is pretty standard), there's plenty of opportunity for ads. It's kind of surprising they haven't gone that route... If the Words with Friends community puts up with the same Game of War: Fire Age commercial after every word played, surely the ffrk community could handle a few adds, too (though watching Kate Upton ride a horse in slow motion while wearing a steel corset does, admittedly, make the WwF ad experience a bit more palatable).

Latest Demo

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2015, 10:03:33 am »
Facebook likes isn't really metric for anything.

Before that were was a celebration for 5 Million (!) downloads in the Japanese version alone.
The (International) Android version has 66k ratings. The Android store puts the number of installations in the 500k-1M bracket.

I wouldn't be surprised if the number of downloads globally and across all platforms crossed into double digit million territory already.

Also, even if it was only 1.1M earnings, that would still be a profit, considering this game was extremely cheap to make. But I'm sure they made a killing on it and continue to make it.

You have no idea how insane some mobile players are. You can't approach this with a hardcore gamer's logic, those people don't play by our rules :) They just throw tons of money at useless things. I played quite a few F2P games over the years on the side (Star Trek Online, Marvel Puzzle Quest, Neverwinter, some Game of Throne thingy now this) and it's always the same mechanisms. It may look illogical to us, but all of those games were successful with a businessmodel based on asking a ton of money for little in return. If 1% of the playerbase is retarded enough it's sufficient to carry the other 99%. The F2P industry runs on the principle of exploiting "whales".

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2015, 10:14:47 am »
I've messed with this a little bit on my PC, via an Android virtual machine. (After testing out a few, I pretty much settled on AMI's DuOS).
Aroo?  I thought BlueStacks was the only game in town, and most of my attempts to use it have been extremely frustrating for one reason or another.  What other ones did you try, and what made DuOS superior?
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...