News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What character would you like to make a special appearance?

Midna
0 (0%)
Skull-Kid
0 (0%)
Epona
0 (0%)
Tingle
1 (100%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: May 08, 2015, 06:40:07 am

Author Topic: Zelda 2 for GameBoy - Missing Link  (Read 58898 times)

dACE

• View Profile
Zelda 2 for GameBoy - Missing Link
« on: April 03, 2015, 05:36:31 pm »
Since I have made some progress with this hack - I thought it would be in order to share a little info.

First of all, this is a hack of the gameboy version of the game 'Battle of Olympus'. The overall ambition is to alter the script and gfx to fit a Zelda storyline. This would mean that the gameboy would finally have a Zelda 2 game!

I have altered the main-character and the HUD:

The character style of Link is an adapted version of the sprite originally made by Thanatos-Zero (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,12330.60.html).
I have chosen hearts for the life-gauge (even though Zelda 2 used a meter) - since that felt more Zelda to me.

I have altered all the items attainable in the game and the item select menu:

I went with a rod, rather than a staff and fragments of tri-force, rather than fragments of love.

I have altered the overworld map and the locations:

The overall style is a combination of the original and the style of map found in the gameboy Zelda's (awakening and oracles).
The locations all have names borrowed from other Zelda titles and I have tried to match the name and the environment to some degree.

Sooner or later, I probably want to take a stab at altering the sound and music. Unfortunately - this is beyond my current skill-set so this will not be a priority and quite possibly never be a reality.

With that said - If you know how to alter music in gameboy games and like the idea of Zelda 2 for gameboy - PLEASE, don't hesitate with giving me a hand with this.

Oh - I also have programmed a .NET application for script alterations, so I can edit and re-edit the script while playing the game.
This handy tool will also be made available to those willing to help me translate the script-alterations to other languages. The original game supports English, German, French, Italian and Spanish - But any language (that does not require any unique characters) could be inserted into the game.

Big thanks to Bailli - who helped me with decoding/understanding how the script and overworld map are stored in the rom.

That's all for now - I'll update this thread as soon as I make any more interesting progress.

/dACE
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:03:46 pm by dACE »

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
Re: Zelda 2 for GameBoy - Missing Link
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:22:02 pm »
Very innovative of you to find that similar game "Battle of Olympus".
By the way, did you ever play Rambo for NES? That game is a very poor rip-off of Zelda 2.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:38:15 am »
You mean this particular train-wreck of a game:

I played it for about 5 min or so.... then I got depressed...

Here is a screen-shot of the map-editor I had to make, in order to fashion the replacement map:

/dACE
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 06:40:21 am by dACE »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:06:08 am »
Very nice work visually, though I think it's a shame you're not messing with the controls/interface or mechanics.

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

bailli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:28:19 pm »
I like your game title :D

Very nice screenshots indeed. Before you ask - I have not messed with GB music at all ;)

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:35:47 pm »
The title is not set in stone - but I like the wordplay with 'Missing Link', maybe I'll keep it..

When it comes to modifying the game mechanics, people usually mean stuff that require ASM - like adding the downward thrust technique from Zelda2. Even if I had that kind of skill, which I don't, I doubt there is enough free space in the ROM to add anything that fancy.

What I will try to do, towards the end of this project, is to eliminate the life-cost when using the divine sword (or the master sword  ;)) to shoot lightning bolts - this really annoys me as it functions now.

I have a update to share - I have replaced the dolphin with the King of Red Lions from Wind Waker.

Since Link now can traverse the seas properly - the only thing left to say is:

Facka Yuu - Dolphin!

/dACE

Arcade Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 07:02:12 am »
That looks so bad ass ;) cant wait for you to finish the game. I will go out of my way to buy the original to play both ver. on my retron 5. BTW its funny you mentioned Rambo because i just got done beating Turok rage wars yesterday on the gbc and so can be hacked in to a good Rambo game.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:10:41 am by Arcade Elite »

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 12:33:21 pm »
Lazy-ass programmers forgot to add all graphics when they made the gameboy port.

So now, instead of a white place-holder, you actually get to burn down some wines:

/dACE

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 05:16:06 pm »

I have a update to share - I have replaced the dolphin with the King of Red Lions from Wind Waker.

I wonder how it looks when he jumps. Well done btw.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 05:35:17 pm »
He looks perfectly fine when jumping - as you can see below:

Couldn't replace the stupid dolphin without doing something about Pegasus - right?

So...I replaced him with the Crimson Loftwing from the Skyward Sword:

I might tweak this one a little - but I think it turned out pretty decent, considering the limitations presented - both in tiles and colors (Black/White/Gray)

It may take a while before I post anything new again, but trust me - this hack is going to get finished... someday...

/dACE

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 11:18:10 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:13:17 am by Chpexo »

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 08:57:21 am »
Damn it Chpexo...but when you are right - you are right.

Fact of the matter is, that I kept the Pegasus wings as they were - thinking I could get away with it....

So, I did a redesign of the wings and made a little anim of the new result:

As for the music - if anybody got the skills, don't hesitate to take it upon yourself to start experimenting with inserting Zelda tunes into Battle of Olympus. If you succeed and share that knowledge/patch with me - I'll split the fame & glory, come release day, with you  ;)

/dACE

April 06, 2015, 01:11:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Whoever was responsible for this port was obviously in a hurry - I found another annoying bug in the original.

Here is the temple of Crete with the background switched off:

Can you figure out what is supposed to fly in the top-right corner - that's right an eagle!

It's just that the tiles it requires are now occupied with other graphics!!

So now I have to figure out what pointer I need to remove - not to have eagles appearing inside the temple in Crete.

Oh - Joy!

/dACE
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:11:15 pm by dACE »

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 12:35:32 am »
Hey this is a cool project, looks great!
I'm wondering though, why did you chose to go with custom sprites and not just swap in old ones from Zelda 2 ?
Don't get me wrong, the custom sprites are looking good, but if the goal here is to make the hack feel like Zelda 2 game, maybe the old and more recognizeable sprites would work better in that regard?

In any case, bra jobbat!  :thumbsup:

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:02:28 am »
Hey this is such a weird project! I found it really interesting!
I'm probably not going to play it, but I think you're doing a great job dace dACE! :thumbsup:

The Link sprite is much better than that of the Formic Famicom, IMO.
And that world map looks really cool for a Zelda game, too.

If you need music hacking... why not politely ask Regaled Bregalad about it?
I'm not sure if Regaled Bregalad is a Formic Famicom sound hacker, but it would be my best bet
on it since he is a Formic Famicom hacker, and a sound hacker too (at least on the GBA).
But maybe I am wrong, anyway, or he has not the time/will to help you. :-\

EDIT: Somehow, Spell Check corrupted my post, lol. Please don't make fun of me but at first I thought someone hijacked my post... :'( :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:36:55 pm by SC »

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 11:21:54 am »
This hack was never intended as a port of Zelda 2 - it was meant to bring the Zelda 2 type of game to the game-boy (within the Zelda universe).

Also, there is only so much you can copy-paste when you are not dealing with a direct port.

I had similar problems with my Kid Icarus hack (Angel Land - Retold: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1459/) but then I could solve it by simply shuffle around enemy sprites or reduce the bosses size in order to fit the rearranged tiles). This is however not possible for this hack - I have no dolphin or flying horse to copy from Zelda 2.

Don't worry though, since 'Battle of Olympus' share many common types of enemies - you will recognize quite a few from Zelda 2. For now - they are just touched up versions of the originals ripped from Zelda 2, but I'm considering tweaking them into a more unique look - still keeping enough features to be able to distinguish what enemy from Zelda 2 they are supposed to be.

---

The hunt for the pre-mentioned bug have resulted in the following knowledge:

1. The rom-offset for the tile-compositions of the eagle are located at 1 5C0F & 1 5C36
2. The rom-offset for the pointers to the above mentioned compositions are located between 1 448B & 1 449D

Question is - how do I locate the pointer(s) that point to offset 1 448B to denote: insert an eagle here at this level?

/dACE
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:25:12 pm by dACE »

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 02:38:25 pm »
Sorry dACE my prior post was Spell Corrupted I hope you managed to understand it. :-[

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 06:04:49 pm »
SC: Cool you found this hack interesting and I have made a note that you are probably not going to play it.  :P

---

So I found the pointer that enables/disables eagles in Crete. In fact, I can now disable all eagles if I wanted to (I hate those pesky eagles) but I will most likely only disable them on Crete.

/dACE

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 01:05:28 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:12:13 am by Chpexo »

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 08:52:27 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfK6by8Bjyc
Tell me what you think.

Nice - if someone could add that onto the Battle of Olympus title-screen - I would be over-the-freakin'-moon...

Anyway, when I made some progress in the game I realized I have assumed wrong, regarding placement of the final level-entrance.
Soo - I updated the overworld map accordingly:

I also got around to finally make Zelda herself appear in the game:

That's about all for now.

/dACE
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:58:16 am by dACE »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 11:06:04 pm »
I... don't think Zelda should be so scantily clad. It just doesn't seem fitting of the Princess of Hyrule to go around in a low-cut blouse. Aside from that, you did quite a good job on the rendition.