News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Super Mario World The Lost Adventure Episode 3 - Release  (Read 7534 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: isaix

This is it. After almost 2 years of development, the 3rd episode of the Super Mario World the Lost Adventure series is finally here. This is a complete Super Mario World rom hack for the Super Nintendo that features 95 new levels, over 150 custom music pieces, custom graphics, new boss fights, new power ups, custom palettes, a redesigned overworld map and you even get to play as Princess Peach in certain levels.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2356/)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Super Mario World The Lost Adventure Episode 3 - Release
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:08:26 pm »
This hack really looks great. I'd like to see a good youtube playthrough about it.

Tobas

• Need a Spanish translator? I'm your man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:24 pm »
what emulator can this be played on?

isaix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:45:57 pm »
It should work fine on most emulator,but I'd recommend ZSNES and Snes9x

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:14:38 pm »
I played the game a few days ago, and I quite liked it.  The levels based on other Nintendo games were good (like the Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Wario Land 4 and Tetris ones), the bosses were interesting (like Metal Sonic and Kefka) and the game itself was mostly enjoyable to play.  I actually recommended it on raocow's forum as a potential Let's Play, although it beats me whether he'll actually ever make a video series based on it.

That said, I did have a few pet peeves:

1. The boss design was... average in terms of execution.  Okay, I loved the concepts, but you really used Pix way too much, and it felt like you sometimes had ideas you couldn't really back up with the required amount of ASM skill.

2. The levels were mostly fun, although I do feel the design kind of got a bit underwhelming as you got nearer to the final world and 'ending'. It's better level design than say, Brutal Mario (which had absolutely godawful level design outside of being an ASM showcase), but it could have been made quite a bit better still, since a few levels felt a bit empty and unpolished.

3. The cliffhanger part in the game was annoying to me.  Not going to say what part for fear of spoilers, but yes.  I was a bit ticked off when the story took that particular turn...
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 05:18:13 pm »
I enjoyed the previous installments of "The Lost Adventure". I like the custom music and the custom levels with different backgrounds.

Chilean Retrogamer plays episode 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4jH6xo8CpA

Lordkronos100 plays episode 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeM5b42TxQk

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:35:24 pm »
This hack looks pretty good, but I stopped playing after a few levels because I can't stand the fact that everything is ice. Why? I admit that I would probably do better using a proper SNES controller rather than a crappy Logitech pad, but even then, the first and third levels give you almost no time to spare, even if you proceeding through the level at a fairly good clip. There is little room for error. Also, I thought the boat level was truly bizarre, where the toads kill you if you touch them (aren't they the good guys?). Plus the hit detection on the birds in that level was off, I often found myself getting killed without actually touching them. The final moment where I gave up was this part on the level inspired by Mega Man, where you had to jump out of the water onto several single block platforms made of ice. There is just no way I could get past that without a good controller.

isaix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 02:55:30 pm »
This hack looks pretty good, but I stopped playing after a few levels because I can't stand the fact that everything is ice. Why? I admit that I would probably do better using a proper SNES controller rather than a crappy Logitech pad, but even then, the first and third levels give you almost no time to spare, even if you proceeding through the level at a fairly good clip. There is little room for error. Also, I thought the boat level was truly bizarre, where the toads kill you if you touch them (aren't they the good guys?). Plus the hit detection on the birds in that level was off, I often found myself getting killed without actually touching them. The final moment where I gave up was this part on the level inspired by Mega Man, where you had to jump out of the water onto several single block platforms made of ice. There is just no way I could get past that without a good controller.

Yeah,this hack is not for everyone.I tried to make it as easy as I can,but at the same time I tried to make it challenging and my mindset when I made those levels was: if you play this hack,then you've mastered the original Super Mario World and you've played the previous Lost Adventure episodes,so you've already been though the easy grass world at the beginning of Episode 1.

sjdswanlund

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 01:16:02 am »
I tried two different sites,  both having the same ROM, I used Lunar IPS, and tried it on both the ZSNES and snes9x, both to no avail. It keeps showing the yellow text when the ROM tries to load, then goes to black after saying bad rom.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 05:50:07 pm »
I tried two different sites, both having the same ROM, I used Lunar IPS, and tried it on both the ZSNES and snes9x, both to no avail. It keeps showing the yellow text when the ROM tries to load, then goes to black after saying bad rom.
You patched to the wrong original rom. You probably have the one without the header, or a wrong version of the rom (EU or JAP instead of US).

Load your original rom in this program:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1002/

You should see this

Code: [Select]
Platform           Super NES                               
ROM format         Super Magicom                           
External Header    Yes                                     
File Size          524800 (80200)                         
ROM Size           524288 (80000)                         
ROM CRC32          B19ED489                               
ROM SHA-1          6B47BB75D16514B6A476AA0C73A683A2A4C18765
No-Intro entry     Super Mario World (USA)                 
Checksum valid     Yes 

File MD5      DBE1F3C8F3A0B2DB52B7D59417891117       
File SHA-1    553CF42F35ACF63028A369608742BB5B913C103F
File CRC32    A31BEAD4                               
ROM MD5       CDD3C8C37322978CA8669B34BC89C804       
ROM SHA-1     6B47BB75D16514B6A476AA0C73A683A2A4C18765
ROM CRC32     B19ED489                               

Basically your ROM CRC-32 must be B19ED489, and the File CRC-32 must be A31BEAD4, and the external header must be Yes.

If you patch this rom, you will get a working hacked rom (can be run on both emulators).

If your original rom has no header, you can add it using this program:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/

In this case (if you have a headerless rom, which has 512KB instead of 513KB), make sure your ROM CRC is B19ED489, then add the header using Tush, and then patch.