News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Farewell tri-Ace =(  (Read 3789 times)

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Farewell tri-Ace =(
« on: March 26, 2015, 12:49:07 am »
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/20/tri-ace-bought-mobile-company-nepro-japan/

I didn't hear about this until now, which is a damn shame. My favorite developer of all time is officially bought out and turned into a mobile developer.

All I can say is, this sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXuzSpstCb0
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Farewell tri-Ace =(
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:40:01 am »
It is what happens all over the Japanese gaming industry. The Japanese completely missed modernizing themselves in the last console generation so they can't catch up anymore. And that combined with the shifts in the local Japanese market lead to this result. Well it was fun while it lasted. I don't remember tri-Ace doing anything worthwhile since... Star Ocean 3? If that was even still made by them.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:44:25 am »
The only Tri-Ace game I've ever played is Star Ocean (1) and honnestly I didn't find it that good. It was like a hack of Tales of Phantasia, minus the story and gameplay, and with the dungeons being even more labyrinths. The battle system in particular is awful.

I have no idea how it has improved in the following instalments, though.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 06:43:26 am »
Damn, Resonance of Fate was one of my favourite games of last go around.

That said they are apparently still doing console games
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/09/dont-worry-tri-ace-will-keep-making-games-consoles/

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:07:55 am »
I have only played Resonance of Fate, and that was bizarre and so good.
_-|-_

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:57:17 am »
It is sad news, but maybe... there's still much of the team now in Square Enix? At least they still own the Star Ocean IP, just incase.
The only Tri-Ace game I've ever played is Star Ocean (1) and honnestly I didn't find it that good. It was like a hack of Tales of Phantasia, minus the story and gameplay, and with the dungeons being even more labyrinths. The battle system in particular is awful.

I have no idea how it has improved in the following instalments, though.
It was the same team (story, design, music, programming) who made Tales of Phantasia before separating themselves
from Namco and forming tri-Ace, which later too was separated to form tri-Crescendo (Eternal Sonata).

After finishing SO4 the team was crafting a new game engine and then were called to help in the making of FF13-2 and LR:FF13, as far as I know.
Also, the chief programmer abandoned the team after SO4. Not much was known about tri-Ace after all that.

For the best Star Ocean experience you should play the respectively PSP remake/edition of First Departure/Second Evolution.
Haven't still played the third one (Till the end of Time), but Last Hope (Star Ocean 4, or Zero as I call it) was good on X360.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 11:59:20 am »
It is what happens all over the Japanese gaming industry. The Japanese completely missed modernizing themselves in the last console generation so they can't catch up anymore. And that combined with the shifts in the local Japanese market lead to this result. Well it was fun while it lasted. I don't remember tri-Ace doing anything worthwhile since... Star Ocean 3? If that was even still made by them.

While their best game is likely SO3, or Valkyrie Profile, hey released Resonance of Fate (End of Eternity) last generation (2010). It's a very strange game, kind of blending turn-based RPG mechanics with their own action-RPG mechanics, and it was just a very big departure from the genre as a whole. I don't think it sold very well, but it was fun, and the episodic nature of the story (if you were paying attention) was solid. It also has the distinction of having one of the best antagonist in gaming history.

"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:49 pm »
You're late to the party, my friend. This is old news and furthermore the mobile company said that this was more like an expansion into console market for them and that tri-ace would continue on as usual.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 01:19:37 pm »
Wicked late to the party. Nobody tells me nothing. I also read that after the initial posting, and again in this thread. I'll have to wait and see on that one. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Best case scenario, having someone at the top will bring focus. Worst case scenario, tri-Ace never releases another game, and is lost to the ravages of time. Here's hoping for the former, because even though they were sometimes off, especially in regards to their storytelling, when they were on, they were amazing (Valkyrie Profile, Resonance of Fate, Radiata Stories). They also code some pretty amazing battle systems, or so I've heard =p

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 07:04:57 pm »
I liked Resonance of Fate  too!
(Even if it felt like a good system that would have needed to be pumped up to the next level after a third of the game. 8))
Let's keep hopes up for quarter-ace!

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 04:49:32 am »
RoF was cool but I have a bunch of gripes about it. The game was way too linear, and those towns could have been a hell of a lot more interesting. I would've preferred to wander the game's world on a human scale rather than navigate an icon over an abstracted map.

It came through when I was at Sega, and I ended up working on it for months, which led to this drawing:

scorp256

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 05:20:47 am »
I would be happy, if they made a sequel to Valkyrie Profile, my favorite series in RPG... And well, I do not mind, if it would be mobile RPG or it would be a console game, if the story would be good.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 07:48:10 pm »
What is it that everybody likes about Valkyrie Profile? I found that game to be pretty terrible. It might be the worst tri-Ace game that I've played. It did have beautiful graphics and sound, but that's about it. The maze-like flat dungeon layouts were maddening. I found the jump mechanics terrible, especially when you had to launch yourself off crystals to reach places. The battle system, while unique and complex, falls on top of itself. The game provides you with very little help or information (it at least tries in the beginning with Freya, but it made little sense in text form like that). It takes so long to really learn it, that by the time you do, you've frustratingly faltered through much of the game already, you can't win. It's impossible to get all the your periods back (needed for treasures and characters). Without the right treasures and setup, you don't stand a chance against later enemies in the game.

I got to the Tower of Lezard and quit. It's rare that I quit games like that.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 02:46:31 am »
The first thing it does well, right out of the gate, is present a unique, beautiful setting that's exceptionally nice to look at and listen to. Then you're hit with the voice acting, and it really helps sell the fact that this game was unlike anything else that was released at the time. The sprites are absolutely gorgous, and unlike most games in the genre, at least around that time period, your protagonist was a female, who begins to question her role, and not a typical JRPG hero.

The second thing it did right was present some of the most absolute heartbreaking moments in gaming. Some characters you catch glimpses of before you recruit them, some are brave, some are scared, some heroes, other villains, but they're all gonna end up the same way if they're joining you. Seeing the pieces fit is where most of the story is.

The game's primary flaw was the way the difficulty presented. Easy is harder than Normal and Hard due to the lack of time to train, and making the endgame bosses almost impossible to beat, Hard was better for min-maxing. Also, the endings were too frustrating to ever get without a guide, but those are relatively minor complaints about an otherwise astounding game.

It's a game that you generally have to use tactics for. Lezard's Tower is easily one of the game's hardest dungeons, due to its size, and puzzles, as well as difficult battles. Getting the right party out, using magic correctly, and making good use of item creation solves many of those issues those. Save Scumming is also useful in deciding which areas to tackle when, but most everything is beatable, even if a perfect run is nigh impossible. The random element may have hurt you, due to some areas opening up earlier or later, meaning you were less prepared, but everything's beatable for the most part.

Also, the game has some astounding antagonist's (tri-Ace's specialty, it seems).

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 12:05:24 pm »
I enjoyed Tales of Phantasia. Too bad I never got around to finishing. Almost did though!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 06:06:45 pm »
The first thing it does well, right out of the gate, is present a unique, beautiful setting that's exceptionally nice to look at and listen to. Then you're hit with the voice acting, and it really helps sell the fact that this game was unlike anything else that was released at the time. The sprites are absolutely gorgous, and unlike most games in the genre, at least around that time period, your protagonist was a female, who begins to question her role, and not a typical JRPG hero.
Agreed.

The second thing it did right was present some of the most absolute heartbreaking moments in gaming. Some characters you catch glimpses of before you recruit them, some are brave, some are scared, some heroes, other villains, but they're all gonna end up the same way if they're joining you. Seeing the pieces fit is where most of the story is.
Also agreed, except that's all you get with any character. They are nearly all throw away immediately after you acquire them. In fact, the very nature of the game is to train them and throw them away. Aside from Lucian and Valkyrie, none of the other playable characters get any development. That was a huge letdown for me. Most chapters had very little actual game story either (it was all packed into the end). So, with no story and few characters that meant anything, it made for a pretty boring game after a fantastic intro. It didn't really deliver what it set up.

The game's primary flaw was the way the difficulty presented. Easy is harder than Normal and Hard due to the lack of time to train, and making the endgame bosses almost impossible to beat, Hard was better for min-maxing. Also, the endings were too frustrating to ever get without a guide, but those are relatively minor complaints about an otherwise astounding game.
The whole game needs a guide really. You're basically required to get certain items and skills to have a chance in the game. And you have no idea where they may be. You just have to waste your periods since you are penalized to enter and exit a dungeon, or visit a town. It really kills exploration when you are always penalized for everything you do. You can't afford to exit, heal, and re-enter to look for missed things without potentially sacrificing the ability to enter unexplored dungeons or towns. The Cave of Oblivion was random and could contain nothing and be a complete waste of time. While the idea of limited time was fine in concept, I thought it was poorly executed in the game with not enough periods to play successfully and be fun. (I played on normal.)

It's a game that you generally have to use tactics for. Lezard's Tower is easily one of the game's hardest dungeons, due to its size, and puzzles, as well as difficult battles. Getting the right party out, using magic correctly, and making good use of item creation solves many of those issues those. Save Scumming is also useful in deciding which areas to tackle when, but most everything is beatable, even if a perfect run is nigh impossible. The random element may have hurt you, due to some areas opening up earlier or later, meaning you were less prepared, but everything's beatable for the most part.
The moment you leave the tower and do ANYTHING else (like train, enter a town, etc.), when you re-enter it's impossible to get the good ending. I played to the best of my ability up to that tower and enemies easily killed me. If you leave and train, you get the bad ending. There seemed to be many poor game design choices like this. It seemed to half-baked, and the difficulty ramp looked more like a third order polynominal rather than a ramp!
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 06:37:40 pm »
Some of the maps were pretty frustrating in Valkyrie Profile and that greatly bothered me but I found the game to be incredibly unique.  Though, yes, the game REALLY needed a guide as the first time I played it, I was confused as all mighty hell. 
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

scorp256

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 04:40:52 am »
I completed the game on Normal without any guides back in the days. No problem with that.
To get the best ending - yes, this certainly needed a guide, as indeed it is inhuman logic to even find out that there exist such an ending and to match all the conditions. But, well, this is the 2000, after all. There were always abnormal difficulty in lot of games.
Who told this is a casual game? :)

Apart this aspect I see no flaws in this game. I really enjoyed the setting and the stories of most comrades. Some were really touching. Voice acting is the best (especially english dub! I think this and MGS have the best voice acting I ever heard in the localized game), pixel art is fantastic.

So overall game is absolutely great. But not for casual gaming, if you want casual - play VP2 :)