News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SNES] Marvelous - Mouhitotsu no Takarajima (Released!!) Translation Progress  (Read 36613 times)

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Hey guys!

I wanted to post a note on here about the hacking progress for Marvelous: Another Treasure Island... All good news, I assure you.

Tashi and I have been in close contact over the past few weeks concerning a recent breakthrough in hacking this title. We have finally identified the compression routine used for a good portion of the game's graphics (also used for menus, and the intro text sequence).

I've designed a new title screen and was able to successfully re-compress/insert it.

Intro sequence has been dumped and translated. We will likely need to relocate the data elsewhere in the rom because the compressed size is greater than the original... We have successfully inserted a place holder that is an abridged translation of the intro for the time being.

New font for the intro sequence completed, compressed and inserted successfully.

I've been slowly working through the game and replacing the Japanese script that appears during some puzzle sequences.

Still looking for all menu text and chapter intro text. (Found some, but haven't had a chance to test insertion. Will circle back after we finish the above.

Early progress:

Current:

Update (4/7/2015):

Edit: Swapped out links for embedded images.
3/27 Edit: Moved files to a different file host...

2015/12/18: First Non-VWF Patch Released. (Followed by a game-breaking bug fix.)

2015/12/19: Version 1.02 Released (Essentially expanded the readme and a couple of minor changes since v1.01.).

2015/12/23: Version 1.03 Released.

2016/01/04: Version 1.04 Released.

2016/01/06: Version 1.05 FINAL Released.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2558/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:47:05 pm by DackR »

andrewclunn

• View Profile
Re: Marvelous Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:35:53 am »
I'm very wary of clicking on redirect links like that.  Any chance you could embed the images in the post?

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:58:44 am »
I'm very wary of clicking on redirect links like that.  Any chance you could embed the images in the post?

Possibly later today. I'm on my iPad at the moment and don't have the option to embed.

However, rest assured that it's just a link to the file within my OneDrive account.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:38:13 am »
Yeah they are legit pictures, looking good, congrats on cracking the compression :thumbsup:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:59:59 pm »
Cool. I'm glad to see that somebody is working on this. It looks like a cool game. There're still so many Japanese gems out there in need of translation.

I'm very wary of clicking on redirect links like that.

What are you scared of? They make virus protection these days. hehe
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

redmax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:26:50 pm »
What are you scared of? They make virus protection these days. hehe

There isnt one that protects 100%. Also good luck working on this game, it is a good game.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:42:29 pm »
I am confused.  I thought this was done already?  I played and beat it about two weeks ago maybe.  Maybe 10 days ago.  It was a very good game, worked flawlessly.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:12:34 pm »
Yeah, there's one : http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2006/

But the one talked here is probably a proper version (as the original version lacks a few things from whatt the original author said, VWF for example).

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 10:09:24 pm »
I see.  So would it be worth it to play through again, or did I get a jist of the game on the playthrough with the nearly complete one?

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:54:47 pm »
I am confused.  I thought this was done already?  I played and beat it about two weeks ago maybe.  Maybe 10 days ago.  It was a very good game, worked flawlessly.
It is about 80-85% completed in it's current form. The game is fully playable in English, there are just a few puzzles, menu text, chapter titles, intro, and title screen , (I think maybe the end of game screen has some glitches in the final ranking...) that contain some Japanese text (compressed graphics). In the few puzzles containing Japanese text, Tashi did a really good job of explaining what you are looking at-- so you aren't missing much. :)

I see.  So would it be worth it to play through again, or did I get a jist of the game on the playthrough with the nearly complete one?
I'll need to do another play-through once I finish inserting the puzzle text and the chapter intro screens, but whether or not you need to? ... I think everyone should play this game once a year to keep their inner-child alive, but that's just me.

But the one talked here is probably a proper version (as the original version lacks a few things from whatt the original author said, VWF for example).
VWF is still on the table as well, but this will be the last thing we address since our #1 priority is 100% complete English localization. Tashi and I have decided that this is something that must be completed before the next public release, however.

piau9000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 03:23:53 am »
I'm not a hacker but the size limit could be fixed by expanding the ROM.
A lot of projects use this method.

xander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 05:24:15 am »
This looks amazing
xander

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 02:38:15 pm »
Congrats on cracking the compression and good luck with the rest of the project. I recently (well not that recent) cracked the compression for a game that compressed all the menus and graphics as well. I didn't bother with recompressing, I just wrote a conditional bypass routine and relocated all the data to an expanded ROM area. Huge pain in the ass though.

ze10

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 05:04:07 pm »
I can't see the images :(

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 11:58:12 am »
I can't see the images :(

Should be fixed now...

Also- Thanks for the notes of encouragement! I've added another progress shot.

Working on the menus later today-- last night when I looked at it, I identified the sequence for loading the font tiles into vram (these tiles get re-used), but I haven't found the pointers for the actual text yet (the screen where you enter your team name)... Progress! :p

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »
I'm not a hacker but the size limit could be fixed by expanding the ROM.
A lot of projects use this method.
The game is already 4MB, so it's not so easy.
(though the game uses SA-1 which supposedly CAN go above 4MB but Justin is working on a Super Mario RPG hack and finding that expansion situation difficult to work with in debuggers. Probably because no official game did it.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 03:36:42 pm »
It actually does work and they truthfully can go up to 8MB from what I read.  The only problem is the debugger aspect of the emulators.  They're not mirroring anything properly and there's an extra bit that's always enabled which screws things up.  Otherwise, I'm able to use at least half the expanded space but the other half I think would be blank.  It's definitely possible though.

I will say, it is an INCREDIBLY difficult thing to work with on bank switching.  If you do it on something that absolutely 'needs' the current bank, you're going to have a lot of problems.  I was trying it with graphics on SM:RPG but found the best way I could do it was shove the entire dialogue and their pointers instead which gave me quite a bit of room in the regular space.

It varies per game though.  Super Mario RPG might be an exception as Geiger's seems reads it really incorrectly all the time.  I'm not sure if it's a quality on the SA-1 chip or just that game.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 08:13:45 pm »
I'm excited by these recent developments ! :D I really hope you could share the decompressor/compressor tool somewhere in the distant future eventually (does it work with Snoopy Concert, or the BS Marvelous/BS Famicom Tantei games?)

Just my two cents here:

The kanji font area isn't used. Mostly. Well, I have been retranslating Marvelous ATI for another language and I found out that the game makes use of three characters in the kanji area (the two points, "left" kanji, "right" kanji). And there's the thing with the naming screen / chapter title cards being possible to translate yet when not using the exact same original number of kanji they go crazy. So maybe a row or two is needed, and the rest is repurposed to store other data (hiragana/katakana could be useful for DTE/punctuation/accentuated characters).

About the intro, is there a way to do away with the 16x16 text and have the tilemap use a 8x16 font instead? The font there isn't good at all imo and spills on the overscan parts of the screen. If you're keeping it anyways, I'd recommend this really nice 16x16 English font here if I knew where to get a complete version from.

For anyone not in the know:

The BS-X games have a menu patch, rom dumps are playable but are missing totally the intro cutscene data. Would need BS Zelda scale of restoration to restore to its former glory (it deserves to, it inspired Navi Trackers), but just translating what's there is easy.

The SFC game (Mouhitotsu no Takara Jima) has a translation patch with which you can already finish the game. It has problems though:
* Intro and graphics aren't modified at all, except menu point-n-click interface graphics. (Big font with "Ukii~!" is uncompressed too, but tashi didn't notice it :P )
tashi did his best to summarize some of it in the text descriptions, but when there's no description it goes untranslated. With variable results ranging from minor inconvenience (not knowing what that "suka" (miss) graphic means) to major puzzle cues (the whole letter with the hint for getting the second gem)
* The translation still uses the latin character set from the original font (16x16, shows as 8x16 since this is a hi-res mode SFC title), unaltered.
One solution would be to make it VWF or at least 8x16 to allow for more text (the final balloon sequence text box wording seems awfully abridged in the translation)
Another would be just leaving things as is and picking another font (even a 8x16 font stretched horizontally), and it already makes a world of difference. Here's for example what the game with Kirby Star Stacker's JP-only SFC 16x16 font (which has a latin set) looks like. I'm playing it using this since I couldn't stand the original font

* The translation is missing a lot of strings, which are left in their moonrune glory. Some examples:
- ch1: if you talk too early to the boy scoots in the cave when lifting the water bowel
- ch3: if you talk too early to the triplets
And at specific points the translation exceeds the allowed number of allowed chars/line and causes the game to crash. Two such instances are in the review section of the current patch.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 01:09:24 am »
I'm excited by these recent developments ! :D I really hope you could share the decompressor/compressor tool somewhere in the distant future eventually (does it work with Snoopy Concert, or the BS Marvelous/BS Famicom Tantei games?)

Thanks man! I've not looked at those particular games recently. Go ahead and send me a PM with your email address. I would be interested in a collaborative effort if you want to share the workload-- since you seem to have significant experience working with the game. I like the font in that screenshot. :)

I've been a bit lazy the last week or so, but here's something I did tonight:

Hooray...

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 12:48:04 am »
More progress. I've been working on several tools to help people localize the script into their language of choice.

Technically, with minimal or no modifications most of these tools could be used on other projects.  :laugh:

There is also a french translation of Marvelous in the works... Not by me, but hopefully what I'm working on will speed it along.

Here are some screenshots:

This is a script comparison app. Essentially it can compare text file script dumps and display a preview of the in-game text utilizing a quickly put together tile map.
I'm going through Tashi's original English script and moving text around so it feels more natural (mostly timing of new lines and the like), adding a few bits of English where Japanese once was, and clarifying context on a few of the lines. This will probably take me a few more weeks to finish the editing.

Did some work on the Chapter title screens. Still need to figure out a few more pieces of the puzzle, but it's progress.

More work on the introduction...

And a bit more of the introduction.