News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Kouryuu no Mimi slowdown  (Read 4014 times)

eric.of.troy

• View Profile
Kouryuu no Mimi slowdown
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:43:35 am »
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/852/

So this game has some serious slow down issues when played on come emulators and in real hardware.

Anyone know if there is an updated patch floating around or how difficult it would be to fix it?  The original game doesnt have this slowdown.

Thanks!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Kouryuu no Mimi slowdown
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:35:36 pm »
Kouryuu no Mimi is one of a handful of RPGONE translations that doesn't work properly on real hardware. Usually this is due to accessing VRAM outside of vblank. If you know what you're doing, I don't think it would be to difficult to fix and if someone does fix it, I hope they can translate the title screen. Romanizing Japanese and not translating it seems kind of weaboo-like.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »
Romanizing Japanese and not translating it seems kind of weaboo-like.

Where does this term come from anyway? It sounds like some bullshit word an angry 4th grader came up with, which makes it even MORE lame than the people it's aimed at. I always liked Japanophile because it makes them sound like perverts LOL

I guess I just fealt like wasting everyone's time with that. Lack of creativity is a pet peeve of mine.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:43:30 pm »
Where does this term come from anyway? It sounds like some bullshit word an angry 4th grader came up with, which makes it even MORE lame than the people it's aimed at. I always liked Japanophile because it makes them sound like perverts LOL

I guess I just fealt like wasting everyone's time with that. Lack of creativity is a pet peeve of mine.

I was curious so I tapped weeaboo etymology into a search engine
http://neologisms.rice.edu/index.php?a=term&d=1&t=6093
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/weeaboo
http://www.pbfcomics.com/71/ as some of the links to it are broken in those.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 09:06:18 pm »
Okay. I see. So it is nonsense. LOL

eric.of.troy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:19:23 pm »
Kouryuu no Mimi is one of a handful of RPGONE translations that doesn't work properly on real hardware. Usually this is due to accessing VRAM outside of vblank. If you know what you're doing, I don't think it would be to difficult to fix and if someone does fix it, I hope they can translate the title screen. Romanizing Japanese and not translating it seems kind of weaboo-like.

Good stuff.  Thanks man.

Also, I'm going to email you shortly (its your manual guy heh)

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:34:59 pm »
If you've ever had to attend Japanese classes with people like that or otherwise spend prolonged periods of time with grown men wearing anime t-shirts and shouting about NARUTOOOOOO in downtown Tokyo, you'd have a better understanding of where the weeaboo term comes from.

On the other side of the fence, there's also a huge superiority complex amongst those "chosen ones" who are highly fluent in Japanese and look down on those who aren't. Just spend an afternoon with people who hold the JLPT N1 and you'll know what I'm talking about.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 09:22:24 pm »
I'm all for making fun of dorks because truth be told, I'm kind of a dick. Regardless, if an insult/derogatory term sounds childish, unimaginative or in no way clever (that I can see) it still makes me kind of angry. Maybe I'm just missing something here. Maybe I'm projecting expectations that I have for myself onto others. Those are pretty high standards (ones that even I can't reach). At any rate, try harder people.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 09:54:26 pm »
I'm all for making fun of dorks because truth be told, I'm kind of a dick. Regardless, if an insult/derogatory term sounds childish, unimaginative or in no way clever (that I can see) it still makes me kind of angry. Maybe I'm just missing something here. Maybe I'm projecting expectations that I have for myself onto others. Those are pretty high standards (ones that even I can't reach). At any rate, try harder people.

Oh, yeah, I can definitely agree there. I just use the term "anime freak" or "otaku" in the derisive way. Works better!

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 06:22:33 am »
is there a way to repair the the patch

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:48:49 am »
is there a way to repair the the patch

If it is what Pennywise reckoned it could be then yeah you could do it. You would have to figure out what additional/altered routines now operate outside the vblank and see if you can squeeze them into the code that runs during a vblank. In most cases like this it is probably something to do with the font handling.

It is not a matter of fixing something in a tile editor or fixing a text error; this is a fix/mod that would require some assembly knowledge to do it properly (the other option would be rip the script and insert it anew which is not ideal) but it should still be doable.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 11:06:58 am »
Where does the slowdown occur anyway? I tested the game in bsnes once and truth be told, I didn't notice anything obviously wrong. Not that I've ever played the game before, mind you. It isn't as obvious as the missing tiles in Sailor Moon Another Story and Gulliver Boy in any case.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 12:30:23 pm »
using SNES9x 1.53...........the game freezes up at  the beginning when the guys on bikes start coming on the screen

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »
Interestingly enough, the freeze happens only in Snes9x. bsnes just suffers from heavy slowdown. And there are indeed some invalid VRAM transfers going on, so that's probably the culprit.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:19:32 pm by mziab »

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 01:18:29 pm »
No doubt it was created with ZSNES as the leading platform. That said, you've played better beat 'em ups, even with RPG elements, anyway.