News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: PS2 Visual Novel Translation  (Read 3048 times)

astronautoftheend

• View Profile
PS2 Visual Novel Translation
« on: March 12, 2015, 12:23:10 pm »
Hello. I plan on translating a game for the PS2. However I do not know that much about actually hacking the script to change it. I extracted the contents of the .iso and opened a script.pak file that was in the .iso with MadEdit. I found a line of text that appears in-game, so I changed it to English. When I tested the game in PCSX2, I saw the english line appear briefly, but then PCSX2 crashed. I knew it wasn't going to be this simple, so how exactly do I go about translating this without having it crash?

Bob Liu

• View Profile
Re: PS2 Visual Novel Translation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:51:40 am »
Nice to see someone's interested in PS2 VN's. I'd love to translate the Saikano game myself but I don't know how to hack it, either. I tried but failed miserably, although I really didn't know what I was doing. Anyway, I then tried my luck at contacting people and groups who have translated PS2 games in the past, but neither did I have any luck there, since, none of them responded. That should be your first option if you fail at hacking it yourself. Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

Also, what game is it you're wanting to translate? I'm very curious.

astronautoftheend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:41:49 pm »
Sorry for taking so long to get back! I was trying a game I already own on the PC, planetarian. I have the official English release so I was going to make a ps2 translation for personal use and as a test to see how to translate and modify text. But mainly because I wanted to try it on ps2 X)

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 12:52:40 pm »
Sorry for taking so long to get back! I was trying a game I already own on the PC, planetarian. I have the official English release so I was going to make a ps2 translation for personal use and as a test to see how to translate and modify text. But mainly because I wanted to try it on ps2 X)
Well, I wouldn't really bother if its already been translated. There's just too much work involved. Anyhow, if you do, check up some people that have done other PS2 games and see if they can help. Good luck.

scorp256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:25:10 am »
There is already this for PSP: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7m7z5wdjb7qzfm7/Planetarian+%5BPSP%5D+English+patch.rar

Usually game format is very similar (if not same) for PS2 and PSP versions, so all looks very easy.