News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The original NES Controller  (Read 12357 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Re: The original NES Controller
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 08:18:07 am »
Sorry to necro, but I decided to purchase said controller.

Time to rock Mario old school, baby!
Yamero~~!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 02:38:39 pm »
I have one of those weird ass NES Max controllers. The D-pad on those things is retarded and I hate every other NES controller I've tried even more so I'm gonna take one of the analog sticks from my old PS1 controller and attach it to the D-pad after I remove that stupid red button that slides around (what where they thinking?).
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 02:56:45 pm »
An analog stick for a DPad?  Ugh!

As for NES controllers... the dog bone one was the best:

@Next Gen Cowboy:
The 360 controller is great, except the d-pad sucks, and the analogue sticks are offset. I don't like offset sticks. I also prefer the outward bulge in the PS1/2/3 sticks, as opposed to the 360, and PS4's indent thumb-rest.

The 360 controller is almost perfection.  There are only a few things I'd change about it:

- Fix the terrible DPad.  Put a SNES or even PSX... or hell... a 3DS DPad on it and you're golden.  Actually, the 3DS probably has the best DPad I've seen on a system in literally decades... maybe even the best ever.  Why can't they just put that on everything?  Though it could stand to be a little bigger.

- Make the XBox button smaller or harder to press.  For how infrequently it's used... it is WAY too big, bulges out WAY too much, and is WAY to easy to push.  It should be depressed into the controller rather than embossed out of it.  This is not a button you reach for in the heat of gameplay... it's a button you only really press when you are starting the system, shutting down the system, or shutting down your game.

- Make the Start/Back buttons bigger and move them up higher.  Start is awkward to reach with my right thumb because the stick is in the way and the button is so tiny, and the XBox button is right next to it and is freaking huge.  Move them up maybe 2-3 millimeters and add like 1 mm to their radius and they'd be perfect.

I love the offset sticks with concave tops.  I love that the triggers are actually triggers.  I love how ergonomic it is and that my thumbs naturally fall onto everything.  It's just a beautiful design for a controller.

.... if only they'd fix that damn DPad.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 03:20:59 pm »
No way. Those dog bones suck. First of all, the shape seems like it would be nice but it isn't. It just doesn't feel right to me. It probably would have been good when I was a kid but now I have adult-sized hands and it feels like a miniature controller. Second, the A and B buttons are positioned in a way that feels like it was designed for someone with backwards hands. They're angled the wrong way. Why would they do that? It's much easier to just use the joint in your thumb (as opposed to the joint where your thumb connects to the rest of your hand) like you would on the Y and B of a SNES controller but no one seems to notice that. The NES Max has the same problem but with the shape of the controller (and maybe the buttons themselves) it doesn't seem to bother me quite as much. Plus it has turbo so if I just fix the d-pad part it will be as good as it can get since it seems that no one ever made a decent NES controller.

Here's a pic where someone did something similar to what I'm getting at (they just used a different stick). You just take the controller apart, pop open the d-pad part, remove the retarded red disc, sand/grind your analog stick until it fits inside, snap it back together, reassemble the controller. It's dead simple.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »
No way. Those dog bones suck. First of all, the shape seems like it would be nice but it isn't. It just doesn't feel right to me. It probably would have been good when I was a kid but now I have adult-sized hands and it feels like a miniature controller.

The classic rectangle controller was like that too.  The dog bone at least had rounded edges so it didn't dig into your hands with extended play.

Second, the A and B buttons are positioned in a way that feels like it was designed for someone with backwards hands. They're angled the wrong way. Why would they do that?

I don't disagree... but.... they're angled the same way on the NES Max.  Look at the picture you just posted  =P.  Only on that controller it's even worse because the turbo buttons are in the way.  And it has a weird slider/stick instead of a DPad.  NES Max blows.

Besides, I play most NES games with my index/middle fingers on B/A rather than my thumb.  It works way better for platformers, and if you do that, the 'wrong angle' thing isn't really a problem... and is actually kind of beneficial.  Maybe that's what they had in mind?

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 05:06:09 pm »
- Fix the terrible DPad.  Put a SNES or even PSX... or hell... a 3DS DPad on it and you're golden.  Actually, the 3DS probably has the best DPad I've seen on a system in literally decades... maybe even the best ever.  Why can't they just put that on everything?

patents held by nitendo i think
_-|-_

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 06:43:37 pm »
I don't disagree... but.... they're angled the same way on the NES Max.  Look at the picture you just posted  =P.

Well, there's not much reason in pointing that out since I said...

The NES Max has the same problem but with the shape of the controller (and maybe the buttons themselves) it doesn't seem to bother me quite as much.

I don't really understand how the turbo bottoms could be in the way. That's like saying that the B and A on the SNES controller are in the way. Bottom line: All NES controllers choke on dong. The original was shaped for people with LEGO hands (I don't know any people who feature these). The dog bone is good for little kid hands. Anything like the NES advantage sucks because it can't be held in your hands and has that HUGE arcade style joystick (and I hate big joysticks). The NES Max is the closest thing resembling a decent controller and the only real problem I have with it I will be solving once I remove that stupid red slider (What was the point in that?) and attach the top of my PS1 analog stick to it.

Besides, I play most NES games with my index/middle fingers on B/A rather than my thumb.  It works way better for platformers, and if you do that, the 'wrong angle' thing isn't really a problem... and is actually kind of beneficial.  Maybe that's what they had in mind?

Most people don't use one that way because it just isn't natural. You're some kinda freak. :P If the controllers were designed with human hands in mind (which they obviously were not back then) you wouldn't have to use the controller in such a strange fashion.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 07:03:45 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:31:51 am by Chpexo »

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 07:09:00 pm »
I've never been able to achieve any mileage out of the "index and middle finger" stance on a NES controller.

I do not consider it sane to even attempt. Feather the buttons with the thumb tip and first joint of the thumb like a normal person. :D
Yamero~~!

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 09:14:10 pm »
For two button games, I prefer to play with the tip and ball of my thumb, so Y and B on an SNES pad, where B is jump if I'm platforming.

I do not like to play with the left and right of my thumb (B and A).

Retro Collections that did not allow this layout on XBOX and PS2 were very disappointing.

But now, I don't even have gamepads, just some small famiclone and USB  joysticks.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 09:50:19 pm »
For two button games, I prefer to play with the tip and ball of my thumb, so Y and B on an SNES pad, where B is jump if I'm platforming.

Yeah if you wire a SNES controller up to work on a NES, Y and B function as B and A (similar to the controls in Mario All-Stars). Unfortunately I could not get this to work because the wires were so brittle and shitty. I still wish the SNES controller was shaped like a PS1 controller (because that's what feels best in my hands) but it's still 1,000,000,000.2 times better than any NES controller I've seen.

I guess one of these days if I can ever feel satisfied with running NES games on an emulator I'll be able to use whatever controller I like. But as long as the display doesn't look perfect (like the real thing does) when the entire screen is moving I'm just going to stick to the real thing. Probably just because I'm using a laptop that's 4-5 years old though.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 09:53:33 am »
Most people don't use one that way because it just isn't natural. You're some kinda freak. :P If the controllers were designed with human hands in mind (which they obviously were not back then) you wouldn't have to use the controller in such a strange fashion.

Have you ever seen... The Claw?
_-|-_

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 02:34:41 pm »
Have you ever seen... The Claw?

Seems like it would be hard to press those buttons with your finger sideways like that. Though not quite the same, it reminds me of playing Super Metroid. It was hard to run, jump and shoot all at the same time without holding the controller different than I would with any other SNES game. As I'm typing this I'm remember that there is a hack here that changes the controls. I need to try that out some time.

Side note: I noticed this pic from the same user: CHEEEEEEEN! Does anyone know what this is supposed to be? It's cute. :)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 03:08:37 pm »
it reminds me of playing Super Metroid. It was hard to run, jump and shoot all at the same time without holding the controller different than I would with any other SNES game.

Not if you remap run to L.

I just assumed everyone did that.

As I'm typing this I'm remember that there is a hack here that changes the controls. I need to try that out some time.

SM has controls customizable in-game.  Why would there need to be a hack for that?

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 03:12:29 pm »
Seems like it would be hard to press those buttons with your finger sideways like that. Though not quite the same, it reminds me of playing Super Metroid. It was hard to run, jump and shoot all at the same time without holding the controller different than I would with any other SNES game. As I'm typing this I'm remember that there is a hack here that changes the controls. I need to try that out some time.

Side note: I noticed this pic from the same user: CHEEEEEEEN! Does anyone know what this is supposed to be? It's cute. :)
it is chen a touhou
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2015, 03:24:01 pm »
Not if you remap run to L.

I just assumed everyone did that.

Ah. I can tell you that I never did that because my OCD caused me to overthink and therefore misunderstand part of the controls. This sounds much more reasonable.

SM has controls customizable in-game.  Why would there need to be a hack for that?

Because the hack goes far beyond the scope of the controller reconfiguration menu. Duh. :P Super Metroid - Control Freak

it is chen a touhou

Okay cool. Thanks. I'll look into that.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 04:16:28 pm »
Buffalo Famicom controller has arrived.

I always set run to A and use my thumb to press A, B, and Y. It can be done.
Yamero~~!

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 04:09:39 pm »
After my original controllers wore out, I had an awesome 3rd party beastie with individual toggles to set A or B to turbo, but my stepsister chewed through the cord. After that, all I had was a Turbo Touch 360 (which I wouldn't recommend to anyone)

As far as portables, the 3DS is ok but I much prefer the D-pad on the DS Lite

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:17 am »
There's something about having the NES controller in my hand that feels right when I play a NES game. This is, of course, heavily relatable to Pavlov's study on conditioned responses.

I am so used to the shape, the feel of the NES controller, that I beat world 1-1 on Super Mario Brothers smooth as silk as soon as I got it home.

It may as well be a NES (it's a Knockoff) if it works with the original controller. I know not every game plays on it, but it sure feels right when I have the right tools in my hand.

Is there a game that you need the original controller you had to play? Are you an arcade junkie who has an addiction to joysticks?

Speak broadly about controllers and your love/hate for them.

I agree. There is something about putting the retro controllers in the hand that just feels right. I am able to play emulated games with my PS3 controller, but it just doesn't feel the same in some respect (although not enough for me to not want to play on the emulator). I really would have liked to play Megaman 9 and 10 with a true NES controller too. Might have been a better experience  ;D

As an aside, I REALLY MISS games using the d-pad for movement (On newer systems, think next post might have been about that, so I clarified). I was always much more accurate with d-pad input than with the analog stick. I might be an old fogie, but I just would rather use those buttons for movement. Would be nice if games would let you swap functionality if they need the inputs, like push up on the analog instead of the d-pad.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:27:43 pm by Duke2go »
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 12:10:13 pm »
well, mame and etroarch pretty much let you choose either analog or dpad
_-|-_