News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The original NES Controller  (Read 10363 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
The original NES Controller
« on: March 12, 2015, 10:10:01 am »
There's something about having the NES controller in my hand that feels right when I play a NES game. This is, of course, heavily relatable to Pavlov's study on conditioned responses.

I am so used to the shape, the feel of the NES controller, that I beat world 1-1 on Super Mario Brothers smooth as silk as soon as I got it home.

It may as well be a NES (it's a Knockoff) if it works with the original controller. I know not every game plays on it, but it sure feels right when I have the right tools in my hand.

Is there a game that you need the original controller you had to play? Are you an arcade junkie who has an addiction to joysticks?

Speak broadly about controllers and your love/hate for them.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
Re: The original NES Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:53:36 am »
I definitly need an arcade joystick to play KOF or any fighting game...
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

TheCape

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:09:08 pm »
I have thought about taking some of the older controllers and wiring them to work with my PC. It should  be fairly easy to convert them to either a RJ-45 or a USB plug in order to use the controller I want for that  game.

I prefer using the controller developed for the game on the system in nearly every case. Currently trying to set up Goldeneye64 to work with the dual stick setup of an XBOX360 controller though...

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 12:53:58 pm »
I bought a Megadrive with an original 6-buttons pad and played a little Street Fighter II. It's incomparebly more comfortable to playing SFIV with PS3 controller...

I don't miss the Sega Master system controller though (my first console).

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:09:58 pm »
I have thought about taking some of the older controllers and wiring them to work with my PC. It should be fairly easy to convert them to either a RJ-45 or a USB plug in order to use the controller I want for that game.

Unless you're looking for a project I'll add that it's pretty easy to find USB adapters for a lot of classic controllers. It would be just as easy to order one as the parts you would need for the conversion. I have one and what little gaming I do on the PC is done with an original SNES controller. I mostly use it for GB, GBA emulation and play testing my SNES hack.

I remember trying to covert a SNES controller to work on my NES (which is doable) and even though I had a walkthrough I couldn't get it done. The actual wires in the particular NES controller I had were brittle as shit and totally useless. I didn't go into it expecting extra buttons or anything I just always hated the original NES controllers. People don't have square hands and this particular model of controller is not one of the things I feel nostalgia for. Because of my wrist/joint issues I like to use the most comfortable controller that I can.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 06:36:49 pm »
I hate the NES controller. It's too small, and it was even when I was six years old. The square shape always sticks into my palms.

The dualshock controllers have always been my preference, along with the Dreamcast controllers. I can't play things like Devil May Cry without a PS2/3 controller. No matter how much time I spend with other stuff, it just never feels right.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 07:27:44 pm »
The dualshock controllers have always been my preference, along with the Dreamcast controllers. I can't play things like Devil May Cry without a PS2/3 controller. No matter how much time I spend with other stuff, it just never feels right.

The Dreamcast had an excellent and super cheap (comparably) arcade stick but I found the standard controller to be dreadful. It invented analog triggers (afaik) which was important and amazing, but the general shape was terrible to hold and the buttons super flimsy IMO. Visual Memory cards were a cool idea on paper but the execution was pretty terrible too and it ended up being just a needless feature that increased the price of official memory cards.

I think the PS2 era dual shocks were probably the best Sony controllers, though the Xbox 360 controllers might actually be better in general as long as you don't need a dpad. The PS3 dual shocks were sadly IMO a step back from the PS2 ones, with the analog L2/R2 buttons that had this really terrible angle. Also not a fan of the pressure sensitivity of the shape buttons on the PS2/3 controllers, it always got terribly finnicky when games actually used that for distinguishing different actions (I have bad memories about some MGS game using that for close quarter combat, it was a mess).

Worst controller of all time? Wii U tablet ;D
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 03:12:25 pm »
The 64 controller for Perfect Dark and Goldeneye.  I have the xbox 360 version of Perfect Dark, and in my opinion it is way harder to control compared to the 64.
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 12:58:58 pm »
N64 may be the only controller I hate worse than the original NES controller. It had a strange shape (like a 3-legged dog), and you needed three hands to work it correctly. That said, I didn't play a lot of N64, which obviously contributed to me not learning its in-and-outs. I also never played a Wii U, so I can't comment on that.

I agree with Kaio on the PS2 variation (or the final PS1 revision which was much the same, in white). I also agree with the PS3's triggers being useless for just about anything.

The 360 controller is great, except the d-pad sucks, and the analogue sticks are offset. I don't like offset sticks. I also prefer the outward bulge in the PS1/2/3 sticks, as opposed to the 360, and PS4's indent thumb-rest.

The Dreamcast had an excellent shape for my hads, and I liked most everything about it, minus the weight (due to the memory card), the chord extending from the top instead of bottom, and the crappy, blister-causing d-pad (still better than the 360's).

It was MGS2 and 3 that used the actual pressure sensitive buttons. They used them to shoot, and it was a horrible design choice. MGS3 also used them for close-quarters which sucked too.

I used to really like the original Genesis controller, but obviously that wouldn't fly today with 3 buttons, and a start button. The 6-button version was awesome, but I have the same issue with it that I have with the SNES controller. It's too small for my hands to fit comfortably.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 04:37:58 am »
I used to really like the original Genesis controller, but obviously that wouldn't fly today with 3 buttons, and a start button. The 6-button version was awesome, but I have the same issue with it that I have with the SNES controller. It's too small for my hands to fit comfortably.

I used to think the SNES controller was perfect but these days, now that my joints are older I have the same problem with it as you. And just about any d-pad is rough on the joints in my thumb. Because I mostly play SNES I'm thinking of taking an old PS One controller I have, ripping the guts out and cutting the controller casing to where I can slip a SNES controller down into it and then cut and fix one of those analog sticks to my d-pad. LOL

I always loved the shape and feel of the N64 controllers but nearly everything else about them was just wrong and really shitty compared to the Playstation (like almost everything N64). The d-pad was great but nearly all of the games FORCED you to use the thumb-stick instead, even when it wasn't necessary. I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone what an abomination that controller's thumb-stick was. Controller paks sucked too because they got filled up WAY too easy and you had almost NO control over what was on them (compare this to the Playstation where you had total control). And to make things worse the controller paks had to have a battery. Like they had no idea there was something better already available (again, see: Playstation). Let's not forget those stupid rumble paks and how a bunch of games would always be like "Did you connect a rumble pak? You know you can use a rumble pak right? Please buy our stupid rumble pak". God. I hate the N64. If it weren't for the Castlevanias (I'm a Castlevania junkie) and Turok Rage Wars I wouldn't own one. In fact, I only have one right now because someone GAVE it to me.

The PS2 controllers and the original dual shocks were great but I never liked the Playstation style d-pad. For some reason I had way too much trouble with those when trying to do stuff like spells in Symphony of the Night. Otherwise they were tops and unlike many controllers I can use them for hours and hours without my hands getting sore.

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 10:26:00 pm »
The Dreamcast controller was a total fail. The wire coming out at the bottom was...strange.
In my opinion the best controller design is either the PS2 or XBOX360 controller.

I used to play emulated games with this Philips "PC Controller" you will see it was basically a PS2 design.
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&ctn=SGC2909BB/27

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 08:41:41 am »

Bought this monday, it got here yesterday. Score!

The A button sticks and the Y axis is a little wonky. So what. It feels right. :D

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 10:47:26 am »
The button arrangement of SNES, which was then copied with PlayStation controllers, is important to me. The shape of the rest of the controller can go to hell for all I care, I think buttons designed to match the way my hand moves is far more important.
Remember the original gameboy, with the A button higher up than B? What a stupid design concept. Did they think I was going to stick my thumb in between the two and rock it left and right to play? Or maybe that I would never want to press both buttons at the same time?
What's the opposite of "ergonomic?"
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 11:48:24 am »
I hate the NES controller. It's too small, and it was even when I was six years old. The square shape always sticks into my palms.

Famicom:
First part of quote is exactly the same I feel about the Famicom controller.
PlayStation AnyNumber:
Second part of quote is exactly the opposite I feel about the PlayStation brand controllers.
I never liked the touch feeling of the 4 shape buttons. I cannot stand that clunky 4-button pseudo-D-pad, it's horrible horny shape (but still better than the N64 on that), and the thumbsticks position was always simply weird. It is too the only controller type that has given me problems with the wire in the controller side, always end up failing, somehow. Probably it is a design flaw to make people go and buy a new one over time. At least now that doesn't happen anymore, though the new ones have other problems with bad quality/faulty materials/battery and such.
N64:
Clunky, weird, what else. Needed at least three hands on some weird game I cannot remember now. I prefer needing only one or two, thanks.
At least it had the first nice thumbstick and vibration support, later copied by Sony for the PS controllers.
Megadrive & Super Famicom:
I used to think the SNES controller was perfect but these days, now that my joints are older I have the same problem with it as you. And just about any d-pad is rough on the joints in my thumb.
THIS! Yet the Super Famicom is still nice for playing emulated GBA or experiencing the nostalgic feel of the Super Famicom.
Xbox 360:
Probably the best controller I've ever used, except for that stupid non-D-pad. Still have to try the new Xbox One controller, though.
Wii:
Let's say it was kind of... special.
Spoiler:

But at least some games let you use this:

or this:
Wii U:
Another kind of special controller, not great, but not bad either. Probably smaller would be better:
Spoiler:

And you can use the Pro version too:

What's the opposite of "ergonomic?"
This:

Still, the only way to experience the ol' school nostalgic feel of ancient times is to play with such controllers, you know.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 02:00:08 pm »
The A button sticks and the Y axis is a little wonky. So what. It feels right.

If you have a screwdriver (philip's head, probably the most common type) that will fit it's really easy to take these or snes controllers apart without breaking anything. They're not too complicated or delicate. You shouldn't have to worry about breaking them. I've always cleaned the gunk out of my controllers with q-tips dipped in warm (helps break stuff up) water.

Philips screwdriver, q-tips and a glass of warm water. That's all it takes. Nothing more. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Been doing since I was a kid.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 02:17:38 pm »
I don't think that's going to work, Portal...this thing is brand new

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 04:50:22 pm »
Why not? I don't think your Famicom controller's gonna break. :huh:

You shall do what the Sun God's Portal commanded you, spoony bard, so to experience the magnificence of such Famicom controller...

... and enter the realm of Surya Mario Bros.!

Sorry, couldn't help it. :-[

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 01:02:33 pm »

Must be Chinese then. Everything that comes from there is garbage. They have no concept of quality control. Things sure don't last like they did when everything was made in Japan. I bought a SNES brand new when they came out (well, me and my brother and sister went in on it together) and I played that thing all the time until it finally stopped working around 2010. Can't beat that. If it were made today it would come from China and be made out of the cheapest substitute-grade materials and might last you a couple of months (if it doesn't catch on fire first) and would be covered in lead paint.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »
Eh, I think in the future I will purchase another buffalo famicom controller.