News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda II - Shadow of Night (Gameplay Video)  (Read 1733 times)

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Zelda II - Shadow of Night (Gameplay Video)
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:26:18 am »
I decided to make a video of my last Zelda II hack (Shadow of Night) to let people know it was updated a while ago, to version 2.5.  I still get emails about version 1.0 for some reason, ha ha.  :-\   It was made significantly easier, especially due to the Life spell costing very little magic to use.  Healing is quite easy.  Also, experience gains are more plentiful, and scattered about you'll find more P-bags worth lots of exp, as well.  Anyway, it's been a few years since I released this hack, but in that time, I've learned new things and I will be planning a new Zelda II project soon.   :)  In the mean time, hopefully this video will let people know that Shadow of Night has been updated.

Version 2.5 Video: http://youtu.be/ZYLHKQmXoAE

In the video, I beat up until the first Palace.

bradzx

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II - Shadow of Night (Gameplay Video)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »
YES!  I knew it that you will do it.  Thank you so much for accept my request that I sent you message.  :D
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:07:59 pm »
No problem!  Honestly, I never planned to update the game at first.  The first update wasn't until 2, or so, years later?   :-\  Next time, I won't wait so long, haha!   :P

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:40:00 am »
Have you ever considered a Zelda 2 hack that was in-line with the original game's difficulty?
I mean, you seem to enjoy hacking the game, and you obviously have talent. Why blow it all on Kaizo stuff?

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 05:12:13 pm »
Yeah, I have.   :)  Let's just say I've gotten all that nonsense out of my system, ha ha. 

Trax really helped me out with keeping things fair in Shadow of Night.  He gave some excellent advice while he tested it.  If it wasn't for him, Shadow of Night probably would've been a lot harder than it is now.  I could still improve some parts of the game, but it's been so long that I doubt it would make a difference at this point.  I believe 2.5 improves much of the early complaints.   ;)

Anyway, since then I've made a few more side projects, and I'm trying to learn better, to make things more fun and less nightmarish.  :P  I also learned that testing a game with my playing skills is not good!  So I try to get friends, and even my brother to play them, so they can give me constructive feedback.  It's been really helpful!

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 05:43:24 pm »
As luck would have it, I downloaded and started playing thru Shadow of Night 2.5 after posting my prior comment. I spent the majority of yesterday afternoon wishing I'd held my tongue! I particularly liked the "above-ground" nature of the Dungeons; that was always something I wanted to see in a Zelda 2 hack.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 12:47:04 pm »
It's understandable.  My early hacks are absurd, haha.  :P  It's surprising that people have beaten them.  Though near impossible, I don't regret ever making them that difficult.  They were super fun to create. 

I'm glad you like the "above ground" nature for the dungeons.  Same as you, I've always wanted to see that.