Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: .  (Read 3130 times)

creeperton

• View Profile
« on: February 25, 2015, 06:04:06 am »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:44:33 am by creeperton »

Seihen

• View Profile
Re: Looking for rom hacking tools written in Java with source code available.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:11:53 am »
Here are the tools written in Java. Not all of them are open source, but should be a good start, at least!

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:47:27 am »
Most of the tools I've written for Ace Combat 3, SRW GC and SRW MXP are available in github here:

https://github.com/DashmanGC

They deal with files extracted from isos instead of full roms, so it might not be what you're looking for. Some of them might require that you read documentation about the structure of the files.

My programming is lazy, very inefficient most of the time and I know for sure that some stuff is plain wrong (in some of the MXP programs at least), but I think the code is pretty easy to follow and can be used as an introduction to Swing. You might be more interested in getting started with JavaFX though, considering it's becoming the new standard.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:54:36 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:44:22 am by creeperton »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 05:48:01 pm »
My tools were formerly written in Java, but I finally (phew) converted all of them to another, executable, programming language. I think it was a terrible design choice to make them in Java for multiple reasons, but back then it was the only programming I could use for modern PCs that had file I/O.

Now I am very glad I learnt to use C and the bases of C++ correctly (trust me it's no simple task, especially C++) but it's worth it as the languages are compilable. There is also other issues with Java other than the lack of compilability (yes, gcj is supposed to compile Java programs into native executable files but I never got them working).

Usage of the JVM is not easy and is confusing for novices who are already new to the command line. I can't count how many complaints I got because of this. And I have to admit that even for myself it was hard to use my own tools because of that, I had to look up how to invoke the JVM properly every time, so it annoyed me just as much as other users (I made the tools first for my own personal usage, and then I share them so that they can be useful for others too).

The syntax for Java can be horrible whenever you need something *not* to be object oriented, which turns out to be pretty often. It encourages you to write unstructured programs. And you have to use the "new" keyboard all the time. The language is based on the lack of memory management, thus on the fact that you will constantly waste memory that will be garbage collected later, which can potentially be source of inefficiency.

For all those reason I'd advice against Java for new designs :) However, I have to admit that OO is much easier to understand and apply in Java than in C++. Don't learn OO with C++, just learn another OO language and then learn how to apply it to C++.

PS : Oh, to answer your question, download my tools, and you might find an archive with the "old" java version in them. You are free to study them in any way, just don't hope to get any support for those versions, they are officially deprecated.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:30:32 pm »
I have tried to remove Java from every system I reasonably can and, thankfully, ROM hacking does not seem to be too fussed about Java. I am never quite sure why Java never took off for ROM hacking -- it was/is pervasive as you like elsewhere and as we are still faced with the legacy of VB it is not like ROM hackers are programming language... snobs?
Still
https://code.google.com/p/dsdecmp/ has a java version, albeit slightly more limited than the C# version most would use.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=8407.85 was also written in Java, what the state of the released source might be I do not know.
Seihen's link is probably where I would look. Though if you are wanting to train up Java skills I reckon a compression program, even if you do not care much for the GBA and DS, would be good (file IO, bit level manipulation, repeated operations/loops...).