News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98d)  (Read 271915 times)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98b)
« Reply #720 on: August 20, 2020, 01:35:31 pm »
If it helps any, I wrote a bunch of assembly code for my Final Fantasy C2 translation that expands lots of text windows + increases max text lengths.

http://tomato.fobby.net/ffc2/

I've been overlooking some of it and I noticed you did some things to the Config menu and you added an ATB bar. I wonder if that could be applied to a US ROM since that's what Namingway is based on. My other option, of course, would be to port the Namingway translation TO a Japanese ROM with some of those improvements, which is something I've always wanted to do.

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #721 on: August 20, 2020, 04:09:53 pm »
I included Japanese text dumps of vanilla FFIV stuff so that people could easily do translations of their own if they wanted. I imagine most of the work to convert your stuff over would be to copy-paste stuff over the original Japanese text and then just comment out stuff in the ASM files meant for FFC2.

CatSlobber

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 21, 2020, 10:40:53 am »
I included Japanese text dumps of vanilla FFIV stuff so that people could easily do translations of their own if they wanted. I imagine most of the work to convert your stuff over would be to copy-paste stuff over the original Japanese text and then just comment out stuff in the ASM files meant for FFC2.

This is rather off-topic, but have you considered looking into a hack that increases the size of the character overworld sprites to 16x24, like FF6? Final Fantasy Record Keeper sports a full redraw of all FF4 sprites (and other FFs, including FF2) in an FF6 style. Could be very interesting or useful for someone wanting to facelift the game further.

elkkrumbs

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 18, 2020, 08:04:22 pm »
I haven't played Final Fantasy IV yet but this honestly looks great, thanks for the hack.

Also I was wonder if there was a version of this without the bugfixes, as both "Final Fantasy V GBA Script Port" and "Final Fantasy VI Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition" have it so the bugfixes are optional, or if a version like that could be requested, or if its even possible. I know the bugfixed versions would be the best way to play them, and I would defiantly be playing them that way too, but of the 3 NES games FF3 doesn't have a bugfixed version. So I am looking to play FF1-FF6 without bugfixes for consistency's sake. Thanks

AdamDravian

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 19, 2020, 05:58:11 pm »
I know the bugfixed versions would be the best way to play them, and I would defiantly be playing them that way too, but of the 3 NES games FF3 doesn't have a bugfixed version. So I am looking to play FF1-FF6 without bugfixes for consistency's sake.

:huh:
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

lavignep

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 30, 2020, 08:29:59 pm »
I’m kind of a masochist and wondering if someone could direct me to a way to remove the b button dash... or explain what changes I should make to the rom. I am assuming the walking routine has been replaced but I can’t seem to find it quickly.

Thank you in advance

KIL913

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 08, 2020, 03:47:14 am »
I’m kind of a masochist and wondering if someone could direct me to a way to remove the b button dash... or explain what changes I should make to the rom. I am assuming the walking routine has been replaced but I can’t seem to find it quickly.

Thank you in advance

Trust me when I say I've been waiting for years for a FFIV retranslation without the QoL changes. It ain't happening.

Chrono 199X

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 20, 2021, 04:33:11 pm »
Thanks for letting me know. That will be fixed in the next revision. Keep me posted if you find anything else.

Hey Rodimus. I didn't report any more typos because covid almost ended me and i didn't finish that playthrough. I'm now about to finally get back to the game and i came to check if you had released a new version and you did. I'll begin in a few days hopefully and i'll let you know if i find anything. I really like what you did with this hack, it's great to help in any way. Thanks for the shout-out in the readme, you gave an extra X in my name but it's okay.  ;)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 20, 2021, 10:05:57 pm »
Hey Rodimus. I didn't report any more typos because covid almost ended me and i didn't finish that playthrough. I'm now about to finally get back to the game and i came to check if you had released a new version and you did. I'll begin in a few days hopefully and i'll let you know if i find anything. I really like what you did with this hack, it's great to help in any way. Thanks for the shout-out in the readme, you gave an extra X in my name but it's okay.  ;)

Thanks. I can fix that error in the Read Me. If you find anything be sure to let me know.

As for a more Vanilla FFIV, I've often said I want to port the Namingway Edition script to a clean FFIV ROM and be more minimal with any QoL stuff. That's just something that will require spare time to work on it.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98d)
« Reply #729 on: June 26, 2021, 09:22:39 pm »
Found two small typos since the last update that are now corrected. Update to Version 1.98d is now ready for download!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:37:39 am by Rodimus Primal »

HARVEST

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98a)
« Reply #730 on: August 03, 2021, 05:54:16 am »
Thanks for the compliments. As for the Multi-controller function, there's two ways to go about it from what I understand. Figuring out how to restore the original Config menu, or port my whole game to the Japanese ROM. However, the game will allow a second player to input ANY commands as if they are player 1.

In my opinion, basing all of the Final Fantasy retranslated ROM hacks on the Japanese ROMs would be much better and they would be much closer to the original Japanese version than hacking the American versions to be more like the Japanese versions.

Also, I think the Square font used for their GBA and DS games is the best pixel font for Final Fantasy and it would allow to fit longer texts while still being readable. I suggest using this font (particularly, the versions used in the DS versions of III Remake and IV Remake).

A similarly large hack project for FFV based on the GBA Script Port as a collaboration with @121J would be fantastic since even the GBA Script Port still lacks some of the QoL features that are in Namingway Edition and TWUE. Maybe call it GBA Script Port Redux.