News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.85)  (Read 75352 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.85)
« Reply #400 on: July 19, 2018, 10:36:08 pm »
When you say text space is so tight, do you mean, not enough room on the screen given the fixed-width font, or are you talking about not enough space in the ROM to fit in more text? Anyway, I am in favor of a variable-width font, something used not just in the J2E fan translation but also in the more recent official releases on PlayStation, GameBoy Advance, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS, and so on.

The English version of Final Fantasy VI for SNES (called Final Fantasy III in the U.S. market originally) used a variable-width font, as does Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG, all of those Squaresoft RPGs for SNES. I am sure if the localizers had enough time and resources and expertise they would have used a variable-width font for Final Fantasy IV, too. Their use of a fixed-width font in what they called Final Fantasy II but was really Final Fantasy IV was because they did not have enough time and staff and expertise and so on to do a variable-width font.

And if you compare the Variable Width Font edition of Secret of Mana made by FuSoYa to the original Secret of Mana, it is really quite an improvement.

So I am really in favor of making the font variable-width at least for dialogue that appears at the top of the screen. In menus and screens listing equipment, spells, stats, and such, as well as battle commands and lists of enemies, I think those would stay fixed-width, the variable-width font would just be for dialogue at the top of the screen. I think that is how things were done in Final Fantasy VI (III in US), so doing the same for Final Fantasy IV (or II in US) would be what Squaresoft localizers would have done if they had enough time and resources.

I mean a variable-width font would give you a LOT more space for accurate translations by eliminating unnecessary space between letters, allowing you to add more text. Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition of Final Fantasy VI is variable-width too, I think. And the more modern official Squaresoft releases of games that use spell names like Curaga and Firaga and so on, they all use variable-width fonts, so it would be very fitting. This would make you much less constrained for space on the screen and able to fit more words into dialogue. Text space was really tight in Secret of Mana, that is why FuSoYa made it variable-width so he could fit more text, using his Lunar Magic abilities for ROM hacking.

This is just a suggestion of course but I am trying to make a strong case for why I think it is a good idea and why I think it would be authentic towards the original game. Just because the J2E translation was not very authentic (I mean come on, they inserted stuff about Backstreet Boys and William Shatner and plenty of other silly stuff not in the original game) doesn’t mean its use of a variable-width font was wrong, I think J2E got the variable-width part correct, they just went a little overboard with the way they wrote things and had a curious mix of trying to be true to the original in some ways and making stuff up that never was in the original in other ways.

Your project is obviously trying to be much more true to the original than J2E was, and not insert anything made up by you or anyone else outside Squaresoft, and I respect that vision, it is why I think your translation is the best. Well, definitely the best fan translation anyway. The best official translation is probably the one for the English PSP release, although probably not quite as good as your translation. I don’t really like the type of Shakespearean-sounding text used in the DS translation, regardless of how accurate the DS translation is, the game should sound more like normal English than like the writings of Shakespeare. I am referencing the comparisons made on this webpage: https://legendsoflocalization.com/which-final-fantasy-iv-translation-should-you-play/ When I look at that page and look at the translations, yours clearly looks the best, at least to my taste. So I am totally 100% behind Namingway Edition as the best edition and I LOVE it. Just to make it clear how much I appreciate your work.

I just bring up the variable-width font thing because this would be a good way for you to fit in more text and not be stuck using text from Project II or that is unchanged from the official translation due to space concerns, due to an accurate translation taking up more space than can fit on the screen.

Of course if the problem is not enough space on the ROM, I guess you would have to make the ROM bigger so that it can fit more bytes of text data, as various different fan translations have done when they ran into ROM space issues. And that would mean changing addresses of things in the ROM probably and be a lot of work, and also the changing addresses part would mean it would probably not work well with other ROM hacks or patches unless you were really careful to keep all non-dialogue data in the same place and only move dialogue into the additional ROM space after expanding the ROM. Anyway great job, your translation is my favorite already, regardless of whether you improve it further or not.

It fully is space in the ROM itself that becomes an issue. What I can do is try to reword any leftover incorrect lines as best as I can, with notes from Mato to help me. Spacing is limited and I've tried adding things in before with mixed results. If you have any lines that stand out and you think should be updated, don't be afraid to let me know.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2018, 01:59:53 am »
Anyway, I am in favor of a variable-width font, something used not just in the J2E fan translation but also in the more recent official releases on PlayStation, GameBoy Advance, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS, and so on.
Where did you get the idea that the J2e "translation" used a variable width font?

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/352/

The big font here is fixed width. You can see how "Will" lines up perfectly with "200 ".

Also, I've been thinking about making an option for the hidden pathways in dungeons. It was the last thing I chose not to change back from the original FFIV at some folks request. Much like how Bugfixes are optional in Woolsey Uncensored, this would be the same. Is there anything else that would be worthwhile to make a reasonable option for?
I think you mentioned this at some point, but I'd support cleaning up the couple lines in particular that I think you're thinking of. (The dancer talking about taxes instead of smack-talking the king, and the woman talking about her mortgage instead of her taxes.) No complaints here.

I also agree on the patch to remove hidden passages being visible, as an add-on if nothing else. It'd make it seem a little more authentic.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 23, 2018, 02:17:51 am »
I don't like the glowing "hidden" passages, but options are always nice.

yetisyny

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 27, 2018, 11:50:59 pm »
It fully is space in the ROM itself that becomes an issue. What I can do is try to reword any leftover incorrect lines as best as I can, with notes from Mato to help me. Spacing is limited and I've tried adding things in before with mixed results. If you have any lines that stand out and you think should be updated, don't be afraid to let me know.

Thanks for clarifying. Later on I have a line that is wrong, I will address it in the last paragraph, fixing it will free up space actually.

Where did you get the idea that the J2e "translation" used a variable width font?

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/352/

The big font here is fixed width. You can see how "Will" lines up perfectly with "200 ".

Ah I was confused about that, sorry. They used a font that is taller than 8x8 for the dialogue but the width was fixed at 8 pixels, I guess I was confused about the details and got that wrong. I definitely got that detail wrong, what was unusual was J2E increasing the height of the font, it was still fixed-width though. Sorry.

I think you mentioned this at some point, but I'd support cleaning up the couple lines in particular that I think you're thinking of. (The dancer talking about taxes instead of smack-talking the king, and the woman talking about her mortgage instead of her taxes.) No complaints here.

I also agree on the patch to remove hidden passages being visible, as an add-on if nothing else. It'd make it seem a little more authentic.

I agree on cleaning up those lines involving taxes rather than the king and the mortgage rather than taxes. It should be authentic to the original at least with regard to the subject of what is said although sometimes, since space is an issue, it might not be possible to have the entire lines.

Personally I like having hidden passages visible, which is apparently the default in the US version which was called Final Fantasy II, but was not the way things were in the original Japanese Final Fantasy IV. That comes down to if you prefer convenience of being able to see them or if you prefer authenticity of restoring the way things were in the original NON-EasyType version of Final Fantasy IV in Japan. I am fine with leaving them visible but since other people might like it the other way I suppose this being an optional patch would be best so people can choose.

OK now for the line that is wrong that I just found. I am playing the latest Namingway Edition of Final Fantasy IV and in the part when you come back from the moon with Fusoya and are about to fight the Giant of Bab-il, Rydia says “Can't we do anything?!” and then Cecil says “What's 's that?!” in one of the screens shortly after the giant emerges from the Tower of Bab-il but right before the dwarf tanks show up. It should say “What's that?!” instead of “What's 's that?!” If you fix this typo, as a bonus, you free up 3 characters of dialogue that you might be able to use elsewhere. Also it is probable that this might also exist as a typo in Project II so I suppose they ought to also fix it if that is the case, although I am only playing Namingway Edition not Project II. I continue to enjoy your version of this excellent game, occasionally there are few lines here and there that might need some work but overall it is excellent! This is the first mistake in the text I have found since the last one I posted about, nothing else major enough to warrant me commenting on it.

Also a TINY bit later there is a line that I would just personally like changed a little bit, where Fusoya meets Cid, and Cid says “Who the heck do you think I am?!” I would change it VERY slightly (2 letters different) to “Who the hell do you think I am?!” because that is such an iconic line from the anime Gurren Lagann which is a classic involving giant robots and the Giant of Bab-il is a giant robot and it just fits perfectly. I am not asking you to fill it with tons of swear words or memes or turn it into the J2E version, this would be very subtle and still be an accurate translation but make Gurren Lagann fans like me very happy. It’s just as iconic as the line about the spoony bard, only it is an iconic line from a TV show that came out over a decade after this game, but still, I think it is a justified change, I am not asking you to change anything to be less accurate of a translation or anything. Anyone who has seen the show Gurren Lagann would know why I am asking this. It makes a lot more sense than if Cid, after installing the drill on the red airship used in the Underworld, told Cid “Your drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!” (an example of a change someone could ask for) since Cid does not say anything even remotely like that in the original game, I am only asking something much more minor that is true to the original Japanese game.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 28, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »
Oh wow, it's a Gurren-Lagann reference? I had no idea; I just thought it was a cool-sounding line when I wrote it. I ran with a pack of weeaboos when I was in high school, and maybe I picked it up from them.

There were an overwhelming amount of people who asked me to remove some added memes/references that I thought "fit well," but turns out they didn't at all. Since this ended up being one of them, maybe it should go, too.

What say you, Rodimus? Do you think we should try and change this to something else? (Maybe just "Who do you think I am?")

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 29, 2018, 12:19:07 am »
Oh wow, it's a Gurren-Lagann reference? I had no idea; I just thought it was a cool-sounding line when I wrote it. I ran with a pack of weeaboos when I was in high school, and maybe I picked it up from them.

There were an overwhelming amount of people who asked me to remove some added memes/references that I thought "fit well," but turns out they didn't at all. Since this ended up being one of them, maybe it should go, too.

What say you, Rodimus? Do you think we should try and change this to something else? (Maybe just "Who do you think I am?")

I'll be honest I never saw that anime and didn't even know it was a reference. It does sound cool nonetheless. It is a common phrase used outside of that as far as I know. But if we are aiming for a little more accurate I may change it. I have to look over the whole thing when I get free. I have a lot of in real life stuff to handle at the moment.

yetisyny

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 29, 2018, 05:37:31 pm »

Yes, “Who the hell do you think I am?” is a Gurren Lagann reference, see https://gurrenlagann.wikia.com/wiki/Who_the_hell_do_you_think_I_am or https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Just%20Who%20The%20Hell%20Do%20You%20Think%20I%20Am%21%3F or https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/who-the-hell-do-you-think-i-am-who-the-hell-do-you-think-we-are to see this reference written about or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WCFbdOOmOY to see all the times it occurs in Gurren Lagann (just the original show, it happens several more times in the Gurren Lagann movies), quite a major meme from that show. Nobody ever said that before Gurren Lagann, prior to that “Who the hell do you think you are?” was a common saying but “Who the hell do you think I am?” was not something people ever said. In the original Japanese it is “Ore wo dare da to omotte yagaru?” (Romaji) or “俺を誰だと思ってやがる?” (Kanji) or “おれ を だれ だと おって やがる?” (Hiragana). Google Translate is able to correctly translate it from Kanji (not Romaji or Hiragana) although it leaves out the swearing and simply translates it as “Who do you think I am?”

“Who the heck do you think I am?” as Cid says it before you fight the Giant of Bab-il in this translation is not how it is said in Gurren Lagann but I know in this translation you tone down the swear words and have things like “Curses!” and replace “hell” with “heck” so I can see how that got into this translation. I guess if you want to remove references to other things and remove memes you might replace that with a more accurate translation. Personally I like that reference but I guess other people might not, I just think, if you are going to keep the reference at least have it worded the way it was in the original. If you look at the original Japanese text that Cid says in the Japanese Final Fantasy IV, you can see if it is anything at all like the Japanese text from Gurren Lagann which I referenced above, if it is quite a bit different then I suppose the current translation might not be accurate. I don’t really know what the original Japanese text for that scene is because I cannot really read Japanese text, the symbols look like gibberish to me unfortunately unless it is in Romaji (the alphabet used in English).

Oh and another typo I found:

When you get Yang to join the party on Mt. Hobs, Cecil says “And this girl was one of the many victims of our kingdom's recent attacks...which I have personally lead.” This is a typo in the last word, “lead” is the present tense of the verb (as in “I will lead the attack.”), “led” is the past tense of the verb (as in that quote), we need to use the past tense here, so instead, it ought to read “And this girl was one of the many victims of our kingdom's recent attacks...which I have personally led.”

Also one naming-related issue for a spell:

The white magic spell that is typically called Dispel for Final Fantasy IV and also in later games (see https://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dispel#Final_Fantasy_IV), which removes mostly positive status buffs but also a few negative status effects and requires 12 MP, is called Curse in your translation; as a white magic spell it is one learned by Rosa, Palom, Tellah, and Fusoya. All the other white magic and black magic spells seem to follow the standard names except for Dispel. Anyway it should be called Dispel instead of Curse, this is the standard name in all later Final Fantasy games. I know the spells in this translation are limited to 5 letters of width. So with Dispel to fit that into 5 characters you would need the i and l to both be half-width and then have the last characters 2-5 (after the initial D) be some special ones: 1) a regular D 2) i followed by left half of s 3) right half of s followed by left half of p 4) right half of p followed by left half of e 5) left half of e followed by l. This would be similar to what you do to fit the names of the other white magic spells Silence, Protect, Confuse, Curaga, Reflect, and Curaja already. Anyway the name you currently use for Dispel, Curse, is not only wrong but Curse is the kind of name that would be used for black magic, not white magic. Black magic has nasty-sounding damage-type names typically and white magic has more friendly-sounding healing-type names typically. So it has totally got to be changed from Curse to Dispel. The rest of the spell names are fine, this is the only one I have an issue with. In fact I do not find any reference to a Curse spell in Final Fantasy IV anywhere on the Internet, it is uniformly called Dispel other than a few very early mistranslations of it as Despair instead of Dispel that didn’t realize it is supposed to end with an L instead of an R. Anyway good job translating all the OTHER spell names correctly (much higher accuracy rate than the official Final Fantasy II localization of EasyType into English, which does not even include this spell)!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:52:21 pm by yetisyny »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 29, 2018, 08:53:31 pm »
The spell in question is named differently because Dispel now inflicts Curse status on an enemy. There are gameplay-enhancing patches applied to Namingway Edition and Project II. This is one of them: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/481/

Thanks for the reports though. Here's what I did for Project II, since a lot of these were on me. Giving specifics in case you were curious as to what I did, Rodimus.

Bank 2 - 1: Baron Town, Message 15:

"Wh-why hello,sir! No,I've
said nothing bad about His
Highness! Why don't you
watch me dance?"

Bank 2 - 12: Baron Inn, Message 7:

"Sir [Cecil]! W-we've been
paying all our taxes!"

Bank 2 - 128: Mount Hobs Summit, Message 8:

Fixed typo as indicated: "...which I have personally lead." to "...which I have personally led." (I tend to confuse the metal lead with the past-tense of "lead". I apologize)

Bank 2 - 164: Cid's Airship - Giant sequence, Message 1:

"[Cid]:Ya got the best man
 for the job!"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:22:11 pm by vivify93 »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 29, 2018, 10:18:16 pm »
The spell in question is named differently because Dispel now inflicts Curse status on an enemy. There are gameplay-enhancing patches applied to Namingway Edition and Project II. This is one of them: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/481/

Thanks for the reports though. Here's what I did for Project II, since a lot of these were on me. Giving specifics in case you were curious as to what I did, Rodimus.

Bank 2 - 1: Baron Town, Message 15:

"Wh-why hello,sir! No,I've
said nothing bad about His
Highness! Why don't you
watch me dance?"

Bank 2 - 12: Baron Inn, Message 7:

"Sir [Cecil]! W-we've been
paying all our taxes!"

Bank 2 - 128: Mount Hobs Summit, Message 8:

Fixed typo as indicated: "...which I have personally lead." to "...which I have personally led." (I tend to confuse the metal lead with the past-tense of "lead". I apologize)

Bank 2 - 164: Cid's Airship - Giant sequence, Message 1:

"[Cid]:Ya got the best man
 for the job!"

Cool. I'll have to make those changes too. Also, specifically should the Magic Plus be removed for Namingway Edition or should I leave them? Since they are changes to vanilla FFIV it might be best to restore them back, perhaps as a part of the restoring hidden passageways.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 29, 2018, 10:32:39 pm »
Maybe revert Dispel, but I wouldn't take away Sight's additional blinding ability. It's up to you though! ;D

yetisyny

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 30, 2018, 01:57:29 am »
Cool. I'll have to make those changes too. Also, specifically should the Magic Plus be removed for Namingway Edition or should I leave them? Since they are changes to vanilla FFIV it might be best to restore them back, perhaps as a part of the restoring hidden passageways.

Hmm, now that I know that the change to the name of Dispel making it Curse goes along with changing the effects of the spell I do not know what to do. I was just giving advice on names since I thought it was the original spell but if it causes a negative status effect the name Dispel would be inaccurate with this new effect added since Dispel means to remove magical effects but causing a new negative status effect would be much more in line with the meaning of Curse. It looks like this is because of a pretty neat improvement done to the original game called Magic Plus, included in Project II and carried over to Namingway Edition.

I am not aware of any improvements that are present in Project II but removed in Namingway Edition. One thing I like about Namingway Edition is it keeps all the improvements from Project II and adds even more improvements on top of that. So I guess all that really needs to be done is to document this in the readme file for Namingway Edition, the various changes that have been made that are not already listed in the readme. The readme does not say anything about the Curse spell. If there were improvements present in Project II but removed in Namingway Edition then I would have a bit of a problem since then I would not know which edition to play! So I guess I have changed my mind now that I know the reason it was changed to Curse, it makes sense this way if the effect of the spell is changed. I have to admit I do not personally find a spell that removes positive buffs from enemies very useful, I think the Curse spell is more useful than the original Dispel, the Curse effect that the enemy Lilith does to party members on Mt. Ordeals is pretty nasty and it is neat to be able to do that yourself too, and having that negative status effect combined with removing any positive buffs makes it a genuinely useful spell that I might actually use in a battle.

Oh and one more typo I noticed! In the Beginner's Classroom which is underneath the Devil's Road (a.k.a. Serpent Road) passage in Baron, the guy in the lower left mentions “Gyshal Greens” rather than “Gysahl Greens” which is the correct name and the name used for the item elsewhere in Namingway Edition. And possibly this typo occurs in Project II as well since from what I read apparently they share mostly the same script, and it does not appear that this item has a different name in those 2 editions.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 30, 2018, 05:22:05 am »
Project II retains FFII US' expanded Beginner's Classroom, so this seems to be something exclusive to Namingway Edition.

Edit - I just checked Project II and it looks like it's spelled correctly already there. Didn't hurt to double check though!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:33:11 am by vivify93 »

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 30, 2018, 03:17:40 pm »
I still think the POC for the "Final Fantasy IV Prettified" looked like a good model to work from!
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25323.0

yetisyny

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 31, 2018, 04:55:35 pm »
I still think the POC for the "Final Fantasy IV Prettified" looked like a good model to work from!
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25323.0

Wow, what a thin font, and pretty too! You can fit a lot more text on the screen with that! And you have descriptions for ALL items, even weapons and armor! I like it a lot! Too bad “Final Fantasy IV Prettified” is not out yet, I hope it gets finished. From the GitHub page it seems it was last updated in January, and the last forum post in the thread about it was in December, both less than a year ago. I would post in that thread about the Prettified hack to encourage the author and praise their work but the forum warns me not to post a reply since the last reply was over 60 days ago and I am not sure if necro-posting is allowed on this site, I don’t want to get in any trouble here.

Anyway I agree with you! That kind of variable width font gives a lot more space on screen for longer names for everything from enemies to items and so on. Of course since I have read here that the main problem regarding space for Namingway Edition and Project II is a lack of space in the ROM, I think that possibly this can be fixed by expanding the ROM using Lunar Expand or something. Final Fantasy II/IV for SNES is only 1 megabyte and it is a LoROM, but LoROM can be expanded to up to 4 megabytes and still be LoROM and this should not change the addressing system. I think that ought to be feasible if you use Lunar Expand. See https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/27/, it is right here on this site. For now I think it would probably be enough to expand it from a 1 megabyte (8 megabit) ROM to a 1.5 megabyte (12 megabit) ROM, that would probably give more than enough space for what is needed for Namingway Edition and Project II, or if that is not quite enough, 2 megabyte (16 megabit) ought to be plenty, I don’t really see any reason why expanding all the way to 4 megabyte (32 megabit), the maximum size for a regular SNES LoROM, would be necessary for this specific game unless not only the text was expanded but a lot of other stuff was added too like improving the graphics AND the sound.

Technically there are even formats bigger than that (ExLoROM and ExHiROM) but compatibility with some older emulators is not as good if you go above 4 megabytes, I think the only games that use those are Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Far East of Eden Zero, and Daikaijuu Monogatari II (which in English translates to Giant Monster Story II, giant monsters being things like Godzilla). Some fan translations and hacks such as fan translations of Chrono Trigger expand to 6 megabytes since Chrono Trigger already starts out at 4 megabytes and they need the space. But there would be no reason to use those formats here since Final Fantasy IV starts out at only 1 megabyte and compatibility with old emulators is bad when you go above the normal 4 megabyte limit. I think expansion of the ROM using the Lunar Expand utility is fairly easy, just put in the ROM, pick a size, and go. I’d start out with just 1.5 megabytes, no need to waste disk space by making it too big. Oh and many people say that LoROM and HiROM are not even real since there are more than just 2 memory mappings and that this is an oversimplification, but whatever, I just say, try out Lunar Expand, see if it works.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:02:12 pm by yetisyny »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 02, 2018, 02:03:35 am »
For those who are wondering about Namingway Edition / Project II's gameplay enhancements, they are as follows:

- Applies the Protect and Shell Improvement patch by Deathlike2, which makes Armor and Shell more
  potent. (Credit to Deathlike2)

- Applies the Sing Improvement patch by Deathlike2, which adds a paralyzing song, and replaces the
  muting song with a stopping song. (Credit to Deathlike2)

- Applies the Goblin Summon Enhancement patch by Deathlike2, which makes Imp’s spell power based off
  Rydia’s Attack stat. (Credit to Deathlike2)

- Applies the Magic Plus patch by Deathlike2, which makes Sight a blinding spell in battle and
  changes Dispel into a cursing magic. (Credit to Deathlike2)

- Applies the Bit Improvement patch by Deathlike2, which lets the Power Staff cast Bersk, the Flame
  Whip cast Fire3, and the Wooden Mallet cast Lit-2. (Credit to Deathlike2)

- Applies the Long Range Fix patch by Dragoon ZERO, which fixes the bug that allows your characters
  to keep a long range weapon’s long range status if they switch to a normal range weapon.
  (Credit to Dragoon ZERO)

- Applies the Warp Animation Enabling Patch by Dragonsbrethren, which allows Warp to be cast in
  battle as an instant death spell. (Credit to Dragonsbrethren)

- Applies the Medicine Power-up Patch by Phoenix Hacks, which makes Heal restore 64-96 HP per
  person instead of 2-20. (Credit to Phoenix Hacks)

- Applies the Regen Power-up Patch by Phoenix Hacks, which has Regen heal 255 HP per turn instead
  of 10. However, this has been lowered to 160 HP per round in the interest of balance.
  (Credit to Phoenix Hacks)

- Applies Final Fantasy IV: User Options by chillyfeez for extra controls—turn skipping,
  sprinting, Active and Wait ATB modes, and an ATB gauge you can toggle. (Credit to chillyfeez)

- Pray now has a 70% chance of working, and it casts Cure2 upon success.

- Cry now lowers all enemies’ Magic Defense by half of Porom’s Willpower per use.

- All bows’ Hit % have been raised by +10, the Artemis Bow deals 4x damage to dragon-type enemies,
  and the Heroine Robe now only gives +10 to Strength, Agility, and Vitality, but the -15 penalty
  to Wisdom and Willpower are gone now. (Credit to FFIV: Easy Type)

- Fixes the Sealed Cave skip bug, the Adamant Armor bugs, the summoned monster items’ descriptions,
  the “To equip” message, the message that appears when you try to leave key items dropped by
  enemies, the RHand and LHand labels’ inconsistent appearance in the battle item menu, the Black
  Robe’s incorrect stat bonus, and graphical errors. (Credit to Grimoire LD for the Adamant Armor
  bug fixes, credit to Phoenix for the “To equip” message fix, and credit to Dragonsbrethren for the
  summoned monster items’ bug fixes.)

- Sirens and Cure3 Potions can be bought from an end-game shop.

- You can find the Assassin Dagger and HandAxe, formerly dummied weapons not even used in the
  original Final Fantasy IV.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:01:36 am by vivify93 »

yetisyny

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 03, 2018, 08:31:50 pm »
This is another typo-type thing except it is one involving if you change the names of your characters, one of the NPCs using their original names rather than the current ones you changed them to.

In the Break Room if you go down the stairs from the Developer’s Room (which was really neat of you to add back), the guy in the right of the 2 beds who looks like a Black Mage says “Rosa and Rydia, eh? You girls are cute! Let me be of service!” This is fine if Rosa and Rydia have not changed their names using Namingway, but I am testing this with them having different names, and this NPC does not use their current names. (The names I am using are Kagome for Rosa, named after an archer/white mage from the Inuyasha anime, and Lucy for Rydia, named after a summoner the Fairy Tail anime, since in the current playthrough I gave all my characters names from different anime.) So anyway given the names I have it currently set to, for me at least, it should say “Kagome and Lucy, eh? You girls are cute! Let me be of service!” But it doesn’t, since the names Rosa and Rydia are hard-coded into this text.

So I guess this is more of a bug than a typo, anyway this does not happen elsewhere in the game, like when I rename Palom and Porom to Gimmy and Darry (the twins from the from the Gurren Lagann anime) everyone in Mysidia calls them by whatever I rename them to, and if I rename Kain at the beginning to Suzaku (the traitorous rival from the Code Geass anime), his new name is what the game uses for him in all the scenes after that where he is one of Golbez’s lackeys and stuff like that, this is the only place I have encountered the game not respecting the current names of characters. Anyway elsewhere in the game many times the dialogue uses the current names of characters so the code to fix this is probably not that hard if you are able to edit dialogue. (I do not know how to edit dialogue, it would be very hard for me to do it, but I am guessing, much easier for you, although you have mentioned some difficulties involving space in the ROM, not sure whether the utility Lunar Expand by FuSoYa like I suggested earlier would work or not for that problem.)

Oh also there was a review posted in July where someone had some complaints about Namingway Edition, I think Chicken Knife, although they ended up recommending it. One of their complaints is definitely doable and you mentioned it earlier, the passages thing, I personally like seeing the passages like in the U.S. release, but Chicken Knife and some other people prefer playing it with the passages hidden like in the Japan release. So like you discussed earlier, whether to have the passages visible or hidden ought to be an option, basically I suggest including a second optional patch that can be used after the main patch, the main Namingway Edition patch would leave the passages visible and would be exactly the same in this regard as it currently is, and this optional add-on patch would just be for hiding the passages and and changing passages from the way things are done in the U.S. SNES release to how they are done in the original Japanese Super Famicom release.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2018, 09:23:39 pm »
For those who are wondering about Namingway Edition / Project II's gameplay enhancements, they are as follows:

I still think having Rydia with no armor in her first appearance made a lot of sense from a story perspective, and I vote on that as an 'enhancement' for Project II.

Although Namingway didn't include it. :(

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2018, 11:52:15 pm »
Namingway reverted it 'cause it was a change I made to fit a bit more in-line with the plot. I think you can edit it pretty easily in FF4kster!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:00:02 am by vivify93 »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 04, 2018, 12:27:08 am »
Man do I got my work cut out for me. I'm taking notes on everything you've found so far and will be going in to fix up Namingway Edition as soon as I get free time. Currently my family and I are moving, so I won't be able to devote time to it until after we settle in. Thank you so much for pointing these all out!

yetisyny

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 04, 2018, 04:47:19 am »
Man do I got my work cut out for me. I'm taking notes on everything you've found so far and will be going in to fix up Namingway Edition as soon as I get free time. Currently my family and I are moving, so I won't be able to devote time to it until after we settle in. Thank you so much for pointing these all out!

I figured it would be best to do this testing now while you are still active, in a year or two you might be done with this hack/translation and no longer working on it, who knows, I would like to help fix as many problems as I can before it is finished for good since every hack/translation eventually stops getting updated at some point in time, rarely do they remain active for more than a few years. Even then if someone else takes over and makes an addendum patch a decade later to continue work fixing things up, well, that is too long to wait!!

Anyway I just found another bug/typo involving hardcoded names (my secret is I am playing the game with a TON of Pro Action Relay codes and cheating to make the fights REALLY easy so I can get through the game VERY fast to view as much text as possible, I am not THAT good at this game that I can get through it so fast without cheating). OK so this is the exact same type I found earlier with Rosa and Rydia having their names hardcoded. In the boss battle in the top part of the Tower of Babil, not the 2nd one with Rubicante but the 1st one before with Edge’s mom and dad, the Eblanese king and queen (and you are correct in calling them Eblanese, I looked it up, the latest translations use that and your enemy names are really good too, very true to the PSP translation), there are some more hard-coded names of a party member: Edge.

First, before the fight, the Queen says “Edge...come...” This is after several lines where Edge has his correct Namingway-chosen name said. (Yeah, I went back to the Namingway in the Cave of Eblan among the Eblanese to change Edge’s name prior to this fight, I changed it to Sasuke from Naruto because he is a ninja whose parents are killed and who gets his powers from his rage, I am really going with this anime character theme.) So anyway since I was using the name Sasuke she should have called him Sasuke in that line, earlier in the lines before the fight he did correctly get addressed as Sasuke by the king. Anyway this is where she asks him to come “To HELL!” Then a little while later during the fight, after the parents recover their minds and Edge is correctly called by the name I changed him to, Sasuke, several times, the king says his last line, “Take care, Edge.” right before dying, a second case of Edge being hard-coded instead of using Edge’s current name. After this, everyone goes back to correctly calling Edge by the new name I picked for him, Sasuke, again.

Oh and one more... 2 items have inconsistent names, in the side-quest involving the frying pan used to wake up Yang that you get from Sheila. First you get the frying pan, when Sheila gives it to you in Fabul it is called “FryinPan” in the dialogue but in the inventory it is “FryingPan” with the ing taking up the space of 2 letters instead of 3. So the dialogue version of the name of that item should be the same as its inventory version. Later on after you wake up Yang and get the Sylph summon for Rydia and go back to Sheila and return her frying pan, she gives you something identified as “Cleaver” in the dialogue but in the inventory it is called “Kitchen” next to a knife symbol so basically it is a “Kitchen Knife”. Now this is a recurring item throughout the series, usually the PSP names for things are best for Final Fantasy IV things, I think, and the PSP version calls it “Kitchen Knife”. It is called “Cleaver” in 2 later games that I know of, Dissidia Final Fantasy and Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy. In Final Fantasy VIII and XI the name is “Chef’s Knife”. But, I think, to be consistent with more recent translations of this same game Final Fantasy IV, “Kitchen Knife” is best, or a knife symbol with the word “Kitchen” after it, as appears in the inventory, so the use of “Cleaver” like in the dialogue upon receiving this item from Sheila, I think, ought to be changed to match the name “Kitchen Knife” used in the inventory. So basically in both of these cases the inventory names are correct and the dialogue names should be changed to match them, I think. (The full name of the frying pan in Japanese is “Ai no Furaipan”, or “Frying Pan of Love”, but we do not have enough room for such a long name, but still, I think the Japanese name is very cute. But much too long a name to fit into an English version of this game, I suppose that just has to be lost in translation.) Anyway there is a good guide to names of things in different translations on the Final Fantasy wiki here: https://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Translations (I would go with the PSP names in the rightmost column whenever possible and it is very clear on “Kitchen Knife” for the throwing weapon Sheila gives you at the end.)

Oh and this side quest has to be done at a very specific time in the story, you can only start it after visiting Yang in the Sylph Cave in the Underworld at least once which means after getting the red airship upgraded to fly across lava, the one that later gets a drill added to it so you can return to the Overworld, after Kain leaves at the Sealed Cave. But to finish it you need to be able to visit Yang’s wife Sheila in Fabul after seeing him asleep in that cave to get the frying pan, then return to the Sylph Cave to hit him with the frying pan and wake him up and get the Sylph summon, then return to Fabul to get the kitchen knife after returning the frying pan to Sheila. Anyway the problem here (not with your translation but with the game) is you have to do this BEFORE you go to the moon and recruit Fusoya into your party, and do most of this quest with only 4 members in your party: Cecil, Rosa, Rydia, and Edge (no Kain or Fusoya). Because Kain leaves before you can get anything from Sheila, and once you get Fusoya it is too late to finish this sidequest. Anyway to test this out that is important to remember, to delay getting Fusoya on the Moon until after you are done with all of this. This is very easy to get wrong by having Fusoya join too early since everyone is telling you to go to Mysidia and take the Lunar Whale to the Moon and this can easily mislead you into missing this sidequest entirely. Regardless I am glad that you gave Sheila and Joanna their proper names instead of just calling them Yang’s wife or Rosa’s mom, I definitely agree with using their correct names like you did.

One last naming issue: the cave/passage that goes to the Feymarch (you have the Feymarch correctly named) is called “Passage of the Eidolons” in both the PSP and 3D versions so that is considered the canonical name. You have it called “Feymarch Passage”, which does make it a bit more obvious where it goes, but this is not the standard name in recent English official translations. Also “Passage of the Eidolons” is closer to the literal translation of the Japanese name for the cave, “Genjuu no Dōkutsu”, which literally translates to “Cave of Phantom Beasts”, making the original SNES translation “Land of Monsters” not that far off although I would not recommend that, I think going with the standard PSP and 3D translation of the name is best. If you really need to save space in the name you can just shorten it to “Eidolon Passage” from “Passage of the Eidolons”, that is about the same length as “Feymarch Passage”, but it is better not to shorten it if possible.

Anyway I would not be able to find all this so fast without using PAR codes for cheating to get through the game much much faster... which I am doing for testing purposes, I have beat this game in the past several times WITHOUT cheating so it is not like I don’t have the ability, I am just trying to find typos in the script or other bugs faster. And yes I am aware cheat codes can create bugs that do not occur in the game unless you cheat, I am very careful about that, I only report genuine bugs to you, the stuff that is caused by cheat codes I fix myself by either reloading the game from before I used the cheat codes or using more cheat codes to clean up the mess. I do not use any PAR codes that are even remotely plot-related or that are known to cause glitches, I just use safe ones, to max out experience, stats, levels, money, etc., give people their best equipment and all their magic, and make my party basically invincible.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 04:06:16 pm by yetisyny »