News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.85)  (Read 75211 times)

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.84)
« Reply #380 on: November 08, 2017, 11:23:51 am »
So I've decided to go through with it. The colon is to the left and it's been submitted for approval. It is rather simple to do, and to move back if you don't like it.

:D Yay I helped. Maybe it's a little sad that my life is at such a standstill that helping out on one edit of one tile in a SNES rom's font makes me get that rush of accomplishment endorphins, but I'm gonna forgive myself for it...it's been a rough year.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #381 on: November 08, 2017, 11:27:25 am »
:D Yay I helped. Maybe it's a little sad that my life is at such a standstill that helping out on one edit of one tile in a SNES rom's font makes me get that rush of accomplishment endorphins, but I'm gonna forgive myself for it...it's been a rough year.

Hats off to spooniest!
Cheers, man!
 :beer:
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 08, 2017, 11:35:37 pm »

Any help you give is always appreciated Spooniest!  :beer:

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 09, 2017, 12:10:43 am »
That's two  :beer:  beer emojis now

I'm drinking a local Nashville brew called Yazoo Pale Ale...what're y'all downin'?

Nosgothy

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2017, 10:59:31 am »
Hi all, longtime lurker but first time poster on these forums.

Made an account to thank Rodimus and all who helped him for this amazing patch. Playing it on my SNES classic and am really enjoying it. So thanks!

I stumbled upon a minor error however. One of the bookshelves in the library in the Feymarch (where you can battle Asura and Leviathan) has a blank second textbox.

Nothing major, but thought I'd let you know. If I find more, I'll make sure to post again.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 22, 2017, 09:27:44 pm »
Hi all, longtime lurker but first time poster on these forums.

Made an account to thank Rodimus and all who helped him for this amazing patch. Playing it on my SNES classic and am really enjoying it. So thanks!

I stumbled upon a minor error however. One of the bookshelves in the library in the Feymarch (where you can battle Asura and Leviathan) has a blank second textbox.

Nothing major, but thought I'd let you know. If I find more, I'll make sure to post again.

Interesting. Might be a space issue in one of the text boxes and the overflow might be causing a blank page. If you know which ones I can try to figure out what's causing it to fix it. Glad you're enjoying it otherwise.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 29, 2017, 02:11:39 pm »
Quick question.  It looks like the patch that updates monster sprites is on the database now.  http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3753/

Has anyone tested this with Namingway?  Any chance of it making it into the hack?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2017, 09:09:02 pm »
Quick question.  It looks like the patch that updates monster sprites is on the database now.  http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3753/

Has anyone tested this with Namingway?  Any chance of it making it into the hack?

I could be wrong, but didn't Gedankenschild say the coding shouldn't affect Namingway Edition on Slick? I'd test it to be sure though.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 30, 2017, 12:08:30 am »
I could be wrong, but didn't Gedankenschild say the coding shouldn't affect Namingway Edition on Slick? I'd test it to be sure though.
I see!  Slick was down at the time of my posting, so I didn't catch that.  In that case, all seems to be working fine!

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 22, 2018, 04:38:00 pm »
Bit of a necro-post, but it looks like Namingway Edition (And less importantly, Project II) were covered in Tomato's big "Which FFIV Translation Should You Play?" article. https://legendsoflocalization.com/which-final-fantasy-iv-translation-should-you-play/

It made me really happy to be covered on the site of someone I really respect! ;D
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 22, 2018, 05:06:17 pm »
"While each fan translation has its pros and cons, Namingway Edition is the one I’d probably recommend the most at the moment. It has its blemishes, but it’s definitely the best so far for general audiences."

Now that's a recommendation!  Congratulations!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 22, 2018, 09:55:34 pm »
Wow! Just WOW! That is awesome. I want to say congratulations to EVERYONE who had a hand in MAKING Namingway Edition.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 04, 2018, 11:32:26 pm »
I'm having trouble with the file. I'm getting a black screen. What could I be doing wrong? I downloaded a ROM that was called Final Fantasy 2 (V1.1) (U). I am wondering if I have the wrong version.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:07:40 am by Chrysologus »

Isao Kronos

• ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 05, 2018, 01:12:54 am »
did you check the presence of a header with TUSH (a utility hosted on this website)

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 05, 2018, 01:19:48 am »
Apparently my file with Arabic numeral 2 was actually different from the correct file with Roman numeral II. Found the right one...  :crazy:

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 05, 2018, 10:34:08 am »
Apparently my file with Arabic numeral 2 was actually different from the correct file with Roman numeral II. Found the right one...  :crazy:

Glad you found the right one.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 05, 2018, 10:43:20 am »
It's strange to me that there are so many different versions of the same ROM. I wish I hadn't at first assumed it was a compatibility issue with the SNES Classic and had just verified the ROM worked! Would have saved myself some time.

Love having this and the updated translations of V and VI on my Classic! You guys are amazing.

yetisyny

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.85)
« Reply #397 on: July 16, 2018, 10:31:03 am »
The description of SomaDrop says “Increases Max MP by 50”. However, the SomaDrop actually just increases your Max MP by 10.

I think you must have gotten the number 50 from the SilvrApple, which increases Max HP by that amount. Anyway the description for SomaDrop should be changed to “Increases Max MP by 10” to make it accurate. This is a typo in the current 1.85 version of Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (I am using the names for items that Namingway Edition currently uses).

I guess I can see why this error was not discovered before, since the SomaDrop is not found until late in the game, namely once you are in the Underworld the second time and have a ship and your ship is upgraded so it can go over magma, at that point you can go to the southeast and find a SomaDrop in Kokkol’s Forge.

But using a Pro Action Relay cheat you can see if this error is happening, much much earlier in the game. The pair of codes 7E149AE1, 7E149B63 should give you 99 SomaDrops in your last open inventory slot, the last one prior to the Sort and the garbage can (Slot 46), so if you make sure that slot is empty, and use those codes, you can check to see if SomaDrops have a description that matches how many MP they give you much earlier in the game.

I think it is supposed to be 10 MP because the maximum HP can go to is 9999 but for MP it is just 999, so it makes sense for a SilvrApple to give 50 HP, a GoldApple 100 HP, and a SomaDrop 10 MP, since you get around 10 times as much HP as MP. Anyway I don’t think you changed what any of the items DO so clearly the error is in the item description, not what the item does.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 17, 2018, 10:20:35 pm »
The description of SomaDrop says “Increases Max MP by 50”. However, the SomaDrop actually just increases your Max MP by 10.

I think you must have gotten the number 50 from the SilvrApple, which increases Max HP by that amount. Anyway the description for SomaDrop should be changed to “Increases Max MP by 10” to make it accurate. This is a typo in the current 1.85 version of Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (I am using the names for items that Namingway Edition currently uses).

I guess I can see why this error was not discovered before, since the SomaDrop is not found until late in the game, namely once you are in the Underworld the second time and have a ship and your ship is upgraded so it can go over magma, at that point you can go to the southeast and find a SomaDrop in Kokkol’s Forge.

But using a Pro Action Relay cheat you can see if this error is happening, much much earlier in the game. The pair of codes 7E149AE1, 7E149B63 should give you 99 SomaDrops in your last open inventory slot, the last one prior to the Sort and the garbage can (Slot 46), so if you make sure that slot is empty, and use those codes, you can check to see if SomaDrops have a description that matches how many MP they give you much earlier in the game.

I think it is supposed to be 10 MP because the maximum HP can go to is 9999 but for MP it is just 999, so it makes sense for a SilvrApple to give 50 HP, a GoldApple 100 HP, and a SomaDrop 10 MP, since you get around 10 times as much HP as MP. Anyway I don’t think you changed what any of the items DO so clearly the error is in the item description, not what the item does.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll have it fixed in another update. In addition, after looking at Mato's look over at Namingway Edition, I might also look at updating some lines IF they fit since the text space in the game is so tight.

Also, I've been thinking about making an option for the hidden pathways in dungeons. It was the last thing I chose not to change back from the original FFIV at some folks request. Much like how Bugfixes are optional in Woolsey Uncensored, this would be the same. Is there anything else that would be worthwhile to make a reasonable option for?

yetisyny

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 19, 2018, 04:29:07 am »
Thanks for letting me know. I'll have it fixed in another update. In addition, after looking at Mato's look over at Namingway Edition, I might also look at updating some lines IF they fit since the text space in the game is so tight.

Also, I've been thinking about making an option for the hidden pathways in dungeons. It was the last thing I chose not to change back from the original FFIV at some folks request. Much like how Bugfixes are optional in Woolsey Uncensored, this would be the same. Is there anything else that would be worthwhile to make a reasonable option for?

When you say text space is so tight, do you mean, not enough room on the screen given the fixed-width font, or are you talking about not enough space in the ROM to fit in more text? Anyway, I am in favor of a variable-width font, something used not just in the J2E fan translation but also in the more recent official releases on PlayStation, GameBoy Advance, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS, and so on.

The English version of Final Fantasy VI for SNES (called Final Fantasy III in the U.S. market originally) used a variable-width font, as does Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG, all of those Squaresoft RPGs for SNES. I am sure if the localizers had enough time and resources and expertise they would have used a variable-width font for Final Fantasy IV, too. Their use of a fixed-width font in what they called Final Fantasy II but was really Final Fantasy IV was because they did not have enough time and staff and expertise and so on to do a variable-width font.

And if you compare the Variable Width Font edition of Secret of Mana made by FuSoYa to the original Secret of Mana, it is really quite an improvement.

So I am really in favor of making the font variable-width at least for dialogue that appears at the top of the screen. In menus and screens listing equipment, spells, stats, and such, as well as battle commands and lists of enemies, I think those would stay fixed-width, the variable-width font would just be for dialogue at the top of the screen. I think that is how things were done in Final Fantasy VI (III in US), so doing the same for Final Fantasy IV (or II in US) would be what Squaresoft localizers would have done if they had enough time and resources.

I mean a variable-width font would give you a LOT more space for accurate translations by eliminating unnecessary space between letters, allowing you to add more text. Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition of Final Fantasy VI is variable-width too, I think. And the more modern official Squaresoft releases of games that use spell names like Curaga and Firaga and so on, they all use variable-width fonts, so it would be very fitting. This would make you much less constrained for space on the screen and able to fit more words into dialogue. Text space was really tight in Secret of Mana, that is why FuSoYa made it variable-width so he could fit more text, using his Lunar Magic abilities for ROM hacking.

This is just a suggestion of course but I am trying to make a strong case for why I think it is a good idea and why I think it would be authentic towards the original game. Just because the J2E translation was not very authentic (I mean come on, they inserted stuff about Backstreet Boys and William Shatner and plenty of other silly stuff not in the original game) doesn’t mean its use of a variable-width font was wrong, I think J2E got the variable-width part correct, they just went a little overboard with the way they wrote things and had a curious mix of trying to be true to the original in some ways and making stuff up that never was in the original in other ways.

Your project is obviously trying to be much more true to the original than J2E was, and not insert anything made up by you or anyone else outside Squaresoft, and I respect that vision, it is why I think your translation is the best. Well, definitely the best fan translation anyway. The best official translation is probably the one for the English PSP release, although probably not quite as good as your translation. I don’t really like the type of Shakespearean-sounding text used in the DS translation, regardless of how accurate the DS translation is, the game should sound more like normal English than like the writings of Shakespeare. I am referencing the comparisons made on this webpage: https://legendsoflocalization.com/which-final-fantasy-iv-translation-should-you-play/ When I look at that page and look at the translations, yours clearly looks the best, at least to my taste. So I am totally 100% behind Namingway Edition as the best edition and I LOVE it. Just to make it clear how much I appreciate your work.

I just bring up the variable-width font thing because this would be a good way for you to fit in more text and not be stuck using text from Project II or that is unchanged from the official translation due to space concerns, due to an accurate translation taking up more space than can fit on the screen.

Of course if the problem is not enough space on the ROM, I guess you would have to make the ROM bigger so that it can fit more bytes of text data, as various different fan translations have done when they ran into ROM space issues. And that would mean changing addresses of things in the ROM probably and be a lot of work, and also the changing addresses part would mean it would probably not work well with other ROM hacks or patches unless you were really careful to keep all non-dialogue data in the same place and only move dialogue into the additional ROM space after expanding the ROM. Anyway great job, your translation is my favorite already, regardless of whether you improve it further or not.